Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2017 Prospects To Watch

So I've been doing a bit of early digging into which guys might be worth watching next season. As of now I think we have 3 primary areas of need for the next draft - and while we don't strictly draft for need we know that this is a good starting point when we look for prospects. After all, if there are a 2 or 3 prospects with roughly the same grade on your board when your team is drafting - they are likely going to go with the guy who fills a need. The need areas are I think that will get a lot of attention in order are:

1. Edge Rusher

2. Running Back

3. Cornerback

Here are some guys I think could be interesting to watch:

Edge Rusher

• Tim Williams, Alabama - early projection: round 1 - Tremendous pass rusher, unproven against the run. Only played 20% of Alabama's snaps in '15, however, recorded 10.5 sacks. Great speed rush. Listed at 6-4/237.
  • Carl Lawson, Auburn - early projection: round 1 or 2 - Unproven, but physically gifted pass rusher. Explosive athlete. Has been hit by the injury bug pretty hard, and doesn't have numbers to match his talent. Listed at 6-2/257.
  • Josh Carraway, TCU - early projection: round 2 or 3 - Potential riser as far as non-first tier edge rushers next draft season. TCU credited him with 9 sacks, but for some reason PFF only says 6. Listed at 6-4/250. 
  • D.J. Smoot, Illinois - early projection: round 3 or 4 - Coming off his best year with 8 sacks last season. Could benefit if he registers a double digit sack season, naturally. Listed at 6-3/265. 
  • Kemoko Turay, Rutgers - early projection: round 3 or 4 - Quick player with good tools. Coming off kind of a down year production wise. Long, lanky guy who has apparently put on some bulk. Listed at 6-5/240. 

Running Back

• Dalvin Cook, Florida St. - early projection: round 1 - Talented, highly athletic running back. Looks totally like a franchise back to me. He's fast, elusive, and good at making yards after contact. Has some ability receiving out of the back field. Listed at 5-11/206.
  • Royce Freeman, Oregon - early projection: round 2 - Speedy, but powerful running back. Can catch the football out of the backfield. Productive, really seems like an NFL feature back. Listed at 5-11/230.

Cornerback

• Desmond King, Iowa - early projection: round 1 - Tremendous in coverage, has a knack for intercepting the football. Listed at 5-11/200.
  • Marquez White, Florida St. - early projection: round 2 - Over-shadowed by Jalen Ramsey last year, Marquez White actually had a really good season. His yards allowed per snap was ridiculously low. Listed at 6-0/181.

Thanks for already thinking about 2017!     Mind mind has been going there too.

And those are the three positions I think we'll focus on first....   but I think we're also going to try and take 2 edge rushers high,  just as we took 2 OL high (1st/3rd) this year.

So,  I wouldn't be surprised if we took an OLB, a RB, then another OLB,  and a CB in roughly that order in the next draft.     Those would be my priorities at least as we sit here in early June.     All this is subject to change and the BPA considerations....    but those are our greatest needs.

On 6/9/2016 at 0:23 AM, NewColtsFan said:

Thanks for already thinking about 2017!     Mind mind has been going there too.

And those are the three positions I think we'll focus on first....   but I think we're also going to try and take 2 edge rushers high,  just as we took 2 OL high (1st/3rd) this year.

So,  I wouldn't be surprised if we took an OLB, a RB, then another OLB,  and a CB in roughly that order in the next draft.     Those would be my priorities at least as we sit here in early June.     All this is subject to change and the BPA considerations....    but those are our greatest needs.

I agree !! and I think we should also look at our own FA's and see if we might want to fill some holes for "need" later in the draft, I have always been a BPA guy but you do need to have bodies in every position. Here is the list I got from spotrac.

Andrew Luck QB 26 IND TBD $16,155,000 UFA
Trent Cole OLB 33 IND TBD $5,093,750 UFA
Robert Mathis OLB 35 IND TBD $5,000,000 UFA
Erik Walden OLB 30 IND TBD $4,250,000 UFA
Darius Butler CB 30 IND TBD $3,000,000 UFA
Mike Adams SS 35 IND TBD $1,909,375 UFA
Hugh Thornton G 24 IND TBD $1,807,345 UFA
Sio Moore ILB 26 IND TBD $1,671,000 UFA
Jack Doyle TE 26 IND TBD $1,671,000 UFA
Jalil Brown CB 28 IND TBD $760,000 UFA
Winston Guy FS 26 IND TBD $760,000 UFA
Jordan Todman RB 26 IND TBD $600,000 UFA
Robert Turbin RB 26 IND TBD $600,000 UFA

1 hour ago, Tracy Denton said:

I agree !! and I think we should also look at our own FA's and see if we might want to fill some holes for "need" later in the draft, I have always been a BPA guy but you do need to have bodies in every position. Here is the list I got from spotrac.

Andrew Luck QB 26 IND TBD $16,155,000 UFA
Trent Cole OLB 33 IND TBD $5,093,750 UFA
Robert Mathis OLB 35 IND TBD $5,000,000 UFA
Erik Walden OLB 30 IND TBD $4,250,000 UFA
Darius Butler CB 30 IND TBD $3,000,000 UFA
Mike Adams SS 35 IND TBD $1,909,375 UFA
Hugh Thornton G 24 IND TBD $1,807,345 UFA
Sio Moore ILB 26 IND TBD $1,671,000 UFA
Jack Doyle TE 26 IND TBD $1,671,000 UFA
Jalil Brown CB 28 IND TBD $760,000 UFA
Winston Guy FS 26 IND TBD $760,000 UFA
Jordan Todman RB 26 IND TBD $600,000 UFA
Robert Turbin RB 26 IND TBD $600,000 UFA

The interesting thing about that list is - outside of Luck who should get locked up within the next few weeks - there isn't anybody on that list who we desperately need to bring back. A lot of it is going to be based on who produces for us this year imo. I will say that I think Sio Moore probably should stick around, although again who knows what his usage will be like.

1 hour ago, Track Guy said:

The interesting thing about that list is - outside of Luck who should get locked up within the next few weeks - there isn't anybody on that list who we desperately need to bring back. A lot of it is going to be based on who produces for us this year imo. I will say that I think Sio Moore probably should stick around, although again who knows what his usage will be like.

I think the team is quietly hoping that Mathis has a bounce-back year and wants to come back on a year to year basis.      We're not going to solve our lack of pass rush problem in one draft,  even if we spend multiple picks on pass rush.     So, my hunch is we want to bring a decent Mathis back for one or two more years while we draft more talent.

21 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I think the team is quietly hoping that Mathis has a bounce-back year and wants to come back on a year to year basis.      We're not going to solve our lack of pass rush problem in one draft,  even if we spend multiple picks on pass rush.     So, my hunch is we want to bring a decent Mathis back for one or two more years while we draft more talent.

If we can pick up a good pass rusher or two in next years draft, that will go a long way in making this a better football team. Of course, if Mathis has still got enough juice to play this year and next at a decent level, that would be tremendous. 

I also would love to score a franchise RB next year, considering Gore's age. Maybe in round 2 or so. 

I think we bring Walden back. He's undervalued IMO. Mathis Sio and Thorton's play will determine if we offer them a deal. Everyone else will need to show to be back. I think Doyle plays his way to a contract. He's my surprise player this season. 

Lawson will be a top 10 pick if he stays healthy.  I think we may get a shot at Barnett or Harris. I think Lorenzo Charles blows up this year. I will be watching Wise Jr too. The other Aggie Hall will be a sneaky pick. There are a lot of pass rushers watch. We should find some help the first 2 days. 

The RB class is loaded but I'd be fine waiting until day 3 to take one.  I could see us biting in the 1st. I hope not but it would not shock me

I want that big D draft. This looks like the perfect class to go bring in some play makers on that side of the ball. As has been pointed out OLB & CB should be the focus. 

Here is my early draft eligible RB board. It's possible I haven't even looked at some guys that I should've, but I've tried giving a bit of early scouting a shot.

Ranking

Runningback

School

Early Projection

Comment

L. Fournette

LSU

Round 1

Extremely productive, durable, athletic.

Dalvin Cook

Florida St.

Round 1

Extremely athletic, can catch, highly productive. 

Royce Freeman

Oregon

Round 2

Can pick up good yards after contact, can catch, hard pressed to find any weaknesses in his game.

C. McCaffery

Stanford

Round 2

Really good pass catcher, quick, super productive, not great at adding yards after contact.

Nick Chubb

Georgia

Round 2

Very talented, well built, coming off major injury. Would be at 1 spot higher if healthy. 

Wayne Gallman

Clemson

Round 3

Good production, good vision, built kind of lanky for the NFL.

Samaje Perine

Oklahoma

Round 3

Very productive bell cow for 2 seasons, had a strong ’15 and an even better ’14.

Jalen Hurd

Tennessee

Round 3

Powerful, well built, great size, surprisingly doesn’t add as many yards after contact as I would've thought. 

James Conner

Pittsburgh

Round 4

Great size and production. Coming back from injury and cancer. Would probably be higher otherwise.

Justin Davis

USC

Round 4

Good quickness, can catch, kind of lanky for the NFL, not as much production as those ahead on this list.

On June 13, 2016 at 9:04 PM, akcolt said:

I think we bring Walden back. He's undervalued IMO. Mathis Sio and Thorton's play will determine if we offer them a deal. Everyone else will need to show to be back. I think Doyle plays his way to a contract. He's my surprise player this season. 

Lawson will be a top 10 pick if he stays healthy.  I think we may get a shot at Barnett or Harris. I think Lorenzo Charles blows up this year. I will be watching Wise Jr too. The other Aggie Hall will be a sneaky pick. There are a lot of pass rushers watch. We should find some help the first 2 days. 

The RB class is loaded but I'd be fine waiting until day 3 to take one.  I could see us biting in the 1st. I hope not but it would not shock me

I want that big D draft. This looks like the perfect class to go bring in some play makers on that side of the ball. As has been pointed out OLB & CB should be the focus. 

I think there is near zero chance we bite in the first on a RB.

Number one priority next year is pass rush.    Number two priority is pass rush.    The third priority is running back.

So, I'm speculating we pick one in the 2nd or 3rd round.    Day two.

I think if we wait until Day Three we're not getting a special back out of a class of special backs.    All we'd be getting a good and decent back.      I'm hoping more more.....

4 hours ago, Track Guy said:

Here is my early draft eligible RB board. It's possible I haven't even looked at some guys that I should've, but I've tried giving a bit of early scouting a shot.

Ranking

Runningback

School

Early Projection

Comment

L. Fournette

LSU

Round 1

Extremely productive, durable, athletic.

Dalvin Cook

Florida St.

Round 1

Extremely athletic, can catch, highly productive. 

Royce Freeman

Oregon

Round 2

Can pick up good yards after contact, can catch, hard pressed to find any weaknesses in his game.

C. McCaffery

Stanford

Round 2

Really good pass catcher, quick, super productive, not great at adding yards after contact.

Nick Chubb

Georgia

Round 2

Very talented, well built, coming off major injury. Would be at 1 spot higher if healthy. 

Wayne Gallman

Clemson

Round 3

Good production, good vision, built kind of lanky for the NFL.

Samaje Perine

Oklahoma

Round 3

Very productive bell cow for 2 seasons, had a strong ’15 and an even better ’14.

Jalen Hurd

Tennessee

Round 3

Powerful, well built, great size, surprisingly doesn’t add as many yards after contact as I would've thought. 

James Conner

Pittsburgh

Round 4

Great size and production. Coming back from injury and cancer. Would probably be higher otherwise.

Justin Davis

USC

Round 4

Good quickness, can catch, kind of lanky for the NFL, not as much production as those ahead on this list.

Thanks for you making this spread sheet.....   this will be helpful going forward.....

Here's a list I made 4 months ago....   Feb. 14, as I was assembling a list of names for what may turn out to be one of the best classes of running backs.....   well....   ever....

Not in any particular order.......    just a rough top-10 that may now be missing someone.....

1.   Leonard Fournette        LSU

2.   Nick Chubb                   Georgia

3.   Sony Michel                  Georgia

4.   Dalvin Cook                  Florida St.

5.   James Connor              Pittsburgh

6.   Royce Freeman           Oregon

7.   Corey Clement             Wisconsin

8.   Samajie Perine            Oklahoma

9.   Kevin Taylor                 Florida

10.  Christian McCaffrey    Stanford

2 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I think there is near zero chance we bite in the first on a RB.

Number one priority next year is pass rush.    Number two priority is pass rush.    The third priority is running back.

So, I'm speculating we pick one in the 2nd or 3rd round.    Day two.

I think if we wait until Day Three we're not getting a special back out of a class of special backs.    All we'd be getting a good and decent back.      I'm hoping more more.....

I think you are way off base thinking there is zero chance we go RB in the 1st round. 

Hopefully we pick in the bottom 1/3 of the draft after a successful season. It's possible the top rated edge rushers are gone and a guy like Chubb is sitting there. I could see a scenario like that happening. The top guy on our board is a RB.  Grig's would have no trouble pulling the trigger. 

As a franchise we have a history of selecting RB's in the 1st Faulk Brown Addi and Edge were all 1st rounders.

Grig's has got in on the act too. He traded a 1st for a RB. Grig's 1st round picks have all been on the Offensive side of ball except for Werner in 2013. 

I also don't think it's impossible that a special RB falls to day 3. Look at the depth of next years class. You tossed out a top 10 list minus Gallman and Hurd. That should tell you how deep this class should be.

There are guys that fall every year. Mixon has day 2 talent but an off the field issue his freshman year and Perine's play could make him a sneaky day 3 pick next year. 

Even less likely Maggitt returns to full health and is a demon off the edge. Then we hit the lottery on Bates and/or Thompsom. Edge is no longer our top priority.  

5 hours ago, akcolt said:

I think you are way off base thinking there is zero chance we go RB in the 1st round. 

Hopefully we pick in the bottom 1/3 of the draft after a successful season. It's possible the top rated edge rushers are gone and a guy like Chubb is sitting there. I could see a scenario like that happening. The top guy on our board is a RB.  Grig's would have no trouble pulling the trigger. 

As a franchise we have a history of selecting RB's in the 1st Faulk Brown Addi and Edge were all 1st rounders.

Grig's has got in on the act too. He traded a 1st for a RB. Grig's 1st round picks have all been on the Offensive side of ball except for Werner in 2013. 

I also don't think it's impossible that a special RB falls to day 3. Look at the depth of next years class. You tossed out a top 10 list minus Gallman and Hurd. That should tell you how deep this class should be.

There are guys that fall every year. Mixon has day 2 talent but an off the field issue his freshman year and Perine's play could make him a sneaky day 3 pick next year. 

Even less likely Maggitt returns to full health and is a demon off the edge. Then we hit the lottery on Bates and/or Thompsom. Edge is no longer our top priority.  

It doesn't matter what the Colts have done historically.

The franchise isn't tied to history.     And Grigon's one first round pick spent on a RB went horribly.    And since the position have been devalued,  I suspect Grigson has learned his lesson the hard way.

And while it's possible that our situation at OLB/edge rusher improves,  the chances that Maggot pays off as well as Bates and/or Thompson also pays off well are so tiny, it's almost worth not even considering at this point.      Yes,  that small.

Even if they both hit,  we'll still need more pass rush.     We just don't have much.

And for the record,  I didn't say there's a zero percent chance.     I wrote NEAR zero.     I try not to deal in absolutes.     Those have a way of blowing up on a person.     So,  near zero that we go RB in the first round.

13 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

And for the record,  I didn't say there's a zero percent chance.     I wrote NEAR zero.     I try not to deal in absolutes.     Those have a way of blowing up on a person.     So,  near zero that we go RB in the first round.

Sorry to quote you incorrectly. You are correct black and white thinking has a way of blowing up on you.

I know we are going to agree to disagree on this but I think the chance that when our pick rolls around next year that a RB is at the top of our board is higher than next to zero. There are 2 lock 1st round RB's and 3-4 more that may go in the 1st. The numbers alone suggest better than next to zero.

The best way to predict a persons behavior is to look at past behaviors. Grig's has drafted a QB WR and traded a 1st for a RB. That's 3 1st rounders used on offensive skills positions out of 5 picks.

If you are going to dismiss RB as an option because it didn't work out wouldn't the same hold true for Werner?  He wasn't exactly a smashing success. 

I think Grig's will take his highest ranked player and next year more than any draft in recent memory there's a chance that could be a RB.

I personally would build the D and look for Freeman day 2 or Mixon day 3. Chubb or Cook would be a tough pass if either are there. P

This draft will show if the RB position has been devalued as we seem to believe, 

21 minutes ago, akcolt said:

Sorry to quote you incorrectly. You are correct black and white thinking has a way of blowing up on you.

I know we are going to agree to disagree on this but I think the chance that when our pick rolls around next year that a RB is at the top of our board is higher than next to zero. There are 2 lock 1st round RB's and 3-4 more that may go in the 1st. The numbers alone suggest better than next to zero.

The best way to predict a persons behavior is to look at past behaviors. Grig's has drafted a QB WR and traded a 1st for a RB. That's 3 1st rounders used on offensive skills positions out of 5 picks.

If you are going to dismiss RB as an option because it didn't work out wouldn't the same hold true for Werner?  He wasn't exactly a smashing success. 

I think Grig's will take his highest ranked player and next year more than any draft in recent memory there's a chance that could be a RB.

I personally would build the D and look for Freeman day 2 or Mixon day 3. Chubb or Cook would be a tough pass if either are there. P

This draft will show if the RB position has been devalued as we seem to believe, 

One of the reasons Irsay gave for letting go of Polian was that he spent too much money on offense and not nearly enough money on defense.     I think the ratio was roughly 70/30.

Irsay has been talking about building a defense for years.    So has Grigson.   They're basically done building an offense.    Now, they need to build a defense.     That will take a number of drafts.    I am not 100% predicting we will not draft an RB.    But I think the odds are overwhelmingly small that we don't.   

I believe we're going to draft defense, defense and more defense and we're going to do that for the next 2-3 years.       I'm sure we'll spent a high pick on a RB in '17 and then some mid-round picks on quality depth on offense in '18 and '19.      But we have such overwhelming needs on defense.

Mathis is 35.    5 other starters are 30 or over.    We have one of the oldest defenses in the NFL.    That's a recipe for disaster.     Our defensive rankings were all near the bottom.    We have so few play makers on defense.     We need them everywhere on that side of the ball.   Not spending top picks on defense is begging for trouble.      If Irsay thought we made a mistake during the Peyton years by not investing enough on defense,  I doubt he's going to want history to repeat itself.

I think the odds are near overwhelming that we'll invest heavily on defense and yes,  with the first round.

Just my two cents.....   but often not worth that much!    (And there are plenty of people here who will echo that comment!)        :thmup:

15 hours ago, akcolt said:

Sorry.....   one last add that I meant to include in the previous response...

Thanks for the apology in the misquote....    no worries....    this is an internet message board and that kind of thing is incredibly common.....    and I'm just as guilty of it as others here are....    I try not to,  but the format lends itself to quick responses and a missed word here or there and suddenly accusations are flying.

I try not to take it personally.....    I don't think you or anyone else is doing it on purpose....  this kind of things just happens....

But thanks again for the apology....   appreciate it....     if we all play nicer here in out internet sandbox this will be a better play for everyone....  :thmup:

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/20/2016 at 1:37 AM, NewColtsFan said:

One of the reasons Irsay gave for letting go of Polian was that he spent too much money on offense and not nearly enough money on defense.     I think the ratio was roughly 70/30.

Irsay has been talking about building a defense for years.    So has Grigson.   They're basically done building an offense.    Now, they need to build a defense.     That will take a number of drafts.    I am not 100% predicting we will not draft an RB.    But I think the odds are overwhelmingly small that we don't.   

I believe we're going to draft defense, defense and more defense and we're going to do that for the next 2-3 years.       I'm sure we'll spent a high pick on a RB in '17 and then some mid-round picks on quality depth on offense in '18 and '19.      But we have such overwhelming needs on defense.

Mathis is 35.    5 other starters are 30 or over.    We have one of the oldest defenses in the NFL.    That's a recipe for disaster.     Our defensive rankings were all near the bottom.    We have so few play makers on defense.     We need them everywhere on that side of the ball.   Not spending top picks on defense is begging for trouble.      If Irsay thought we made a mistake during the Peyton years by not investing enough on defense,  I doubt he's going to want history to repeat itself.

I think the odds are near overwhelming that we'll invest heavily on defense and yes,  with the first round.

Just my two cents.....   but often not worth that much!    (And there are plenty of people here who will echo that comment!)        :thmup:

I hope you realize it's highly unlikely we are ever gonna get to a point where our defense is filled with playmakers at almost every spot. The chances are pretty good that about 60-70% of our defense will consist of above avg, average and even below avg players. And I think there could be more young talent on our defense than people realize, it's just up to our coaching staff to develop and bring them along. Us fans just need to have a little patience and hope this new defensive coaching staff is better at developing than the last, also at coaching and preparing our D as a whole week in and week out. And by saying any of this I don't disagree with you on the fact we need more playmakers on D, no doubt that is true, especially at pass rush where as of now we lack greatly.

Aslo as to our defensive rankings from last year...I wouldn't put too much weight into that as far as judging our D. Our offense was horribly incompetent and left our D out to dry much of the season with constant 3 and outs and turnover's resulting in short fields for the opposing offenses. The D basically had to carry this team for about 70% of last season. If we'd had a competent offense of some sort for majority of the season I'm willing to bet our D numbers are closer to middle of the pack which isn't great obviously but it wouldn't been near as bad.

2 hours ago, weslo1812 said:

I hope you realize it's highly unlikely we are ever gonna get to a point where our defense is filled with playmakers at almost every spot. The chances are pretty good that about 60-70% of our defense will consist of above avg, average and even below avg players. And I think there could be more young talent on our defense than people realize, it's just up to our coaching staff to develop and bring them along. Us fans just need to have a little patience and hope this new defensive coaching staff is better at developing than the last, also at coaching and preparing our D as a whole week in and week out. And by saying any of this I don't disagree with you on the fact we need more playmakers on D, no doubt that is true, especially at pass rush where as of now we lack greatly.

Aslo as to our defensive rankings from last year...I wouldn't put too much weight into that as far as judging our D. Our offense was horribly incompetent and left our D out to dry much of the season with constant 3 and outs and turnover's resulting in short fields for the opposing offenses. The D basically had to carry this team for about 70% of last season. If we'd had a competent offense of some sort for majority of the season I'm willing to bet our D numbers are closer to middle of the pack which isn't great obviously but it wouldn't been near as bad.

I appreciate the perspective,  and share some of that view.....     some.     But only up to a point.

Our defense is behind schedule because it's taken us so long to get our offense right.  

And since we're likely to be a 9-12 win team in most seasons,   that means we'll likely be drafting roughly 20--30 most every year.      So,  we won't be selecting the obvious super premium guys.      I understand that.

BUT......

We currently only have two recognized playmakers.     Mathis, who is 35 and Vonte, who is not overly consistent.       We need more playmakers.

The great franchises manage to build teams despite picking at the bottom of each round most every year.

NE, Green Bay,  Pitts,  Balt,   Seattle to name a few.      Good franchises know how to find and develop talent.

I'm hopeful that we'll spend most of our picks in the next 3 drafts building an exceptional defense.     If we draft better, and have the right coaches,  we should be OK.

We'll find out how good our staff is drafting and developing off of this most recent draft.....    Green, Clark, Ridgeway,  Morrison and Haeg are interesting guys....    Hopefully they turn into real talented players for the Colts in 17 and 18 and so on....

Thanks for the post......

After the edge rusher in round 1, I'd want the Colts to look at Jake Butt or O.J.Howard at TE for the receiving TE / red zone target option. If they are going to be there at the end of round 2, that will present good value and I think they both have great upside, IMO.

A guy I really like and wouldn't at all be opposed to the Colts drafting him in the 1st is ILB Jarrod Davis from Florida. He would instantly bring a super athletic and instinctive ILB who can cover and stop the run. Pairing him with either Morrison/Moore/Irving would make them set for years.

I do agree that CB and obviously OLB need to also be addressed on defense. On offense they really only need a RB of the future.

On 7/7/2016 at 2:09 PM, chad72 said:

After the edge rusher in round 1, I'd want the Colts to look at Jake Butt or O.J.Howard at TE for the receiving TE / red zone target option. If they are going to be there at the end of round 2, that will present good value and I think they both have great upside, IMO.

I really like Howard. He was a beast in the playoffs. 

On July 7, 2016 at 11:09 AM, chad72 said:

Funny how everyone sees the same thing differently....

You've got TE as a high priority.     And I suppose, if Allen disappoints, for whatever reason,   then TE might become a priority.      But I have it as a late round consideration.      Other than defense,  the only offensive position I want a high pick devoted to is.....     running back.      Otherwise,  defense from R's 1 thru 5.     

I'm not saying I'm right and you're wrong,   I'm only noting how everyone sees the same thing differently.

On 7/9/2016 at 1:02 AM, NewColtsFan said:

Funny how everyone sees the same thing differently....

You've got TE as a high priority.     And I suppose, if Allen disappoints, for whatever reason,   then TE might become a priority.      But I have it as a late round consideration.      Other than defense,  the only offensive position I want a high pick devoted to is.....     running back.      Otherwise,  defense from R's 1 thru 5.     

I'm not saying I'm right and you're wrong,   I'm only noting how everyone sees the same thing differently.

Just because it is a round 2 pick, it does not mean it is a high priority. I felt those two could be top tier talents much like Jimmy Graham who went early round 3, I think to the Saints.

So, if you find those TEs at the end of round 2, you cannot ignore the value. If the value they present trumps the value any other defensive player presents, I would be all for Grigson to pull the trigger on a TE that can become a good underneath option and red zone option. Unless the OL gives a lot of time to Luck, the underneath game has to be a big part of our O and I do not see our current WRs as big weapons on the underneath front. That was my thought process to be open to TE drafting if a quality one drops.

1 hour ago, RockThatBlue said:

What would yall think if the colts drafted dalvin cook in round one? Hes my favorite RB in this really good RB class.

I think pass rush is a greater need than running back.      So, I'm in favor of an OLB in R1 and a RB in R2 next season.

That said,   there's nothing not to love about Cook.     Terrific running back.

8 hours ago, RockThatBlue said:

What would yall think if the colts drafted dalvin cook in round one? Hes my favorite RB in this really good RB class.

I think he is going to be really good, so no complaints from me! I wonder if Grigson has it in him to spend a first rounder on a RB after the T-Rich disaster.

I know we desperately need pass rush help, but we don't know where we pick, who will be available etc. But if you can get a guy like Dalvin Cook, remember the whole BPA thing, it can be worth it.