Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts select Le'Raven Clark, OL, Texas Tech

21isSuperman

3 hours ago, csmopar said:

This statement here shows you have NO clue what you're talking about.

Example 1:

Strengths:

Excellent athlete

Good quickness on the edge

Agility

Quick feet

Ideal length; great size for a left tackle

Extremely long arms (36.25 inches)

Fast to the second level

Good height

Built well

Big hands (10.88 inches)

Strength to sustain

Has run-blocking ability

Scheme flexibility

Superb fit in a zone-blocking scheme

Huge upside

Read more at http://walterfootball.com/scoutingreport2016lclark.php#p1JDZKBtwfxV6EkG.99

Example 2:

With long arms and good athleticism, it was a lock that position coaches would be more excited about Clark than some of the area scouts might have been. This coach brings up a really good point about collegiate offensive linemen for up-tempo offenses. Many tackles in these schemes require top-notch conditioning over top-notch technique. Coaches want to see athletic traits and ability -- they assume they can fix the technical issues. I've had Clark as a first-round tackle since we started the mock-draft process in January and that won't change for me.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000651334/article/nfc-rbs-coach-cant-envision-derrick-henry-going-in-round-1

Example 3: 

STRENGTHS

Possesses good thickness through his rear and thighs helping him drop and anchor. Plays with outstanding foot quickness in his pass sets. Able to mirror head­-faking pass rushers like a cornerback with ability to shift weight and change directions seamlessly. Uses choppy, controlled slides in pass sets instead of long, protracted kick-­slides. Able to shut down darting inside moves with relative ease. Blessed with exceptionally long arms. Uses length and excellent timing to get hands on edge rushers quickly disrupting their game­plan. Has athleticism to effectively recover and fight back when he gets beaten. When he gets hands on defender and locks out, it is over. Has impressive sink steps inside to wall of B­-gap against twists and the backside in running game. Does adequate job of sustaining blocks. Plus lateral quickness off the snap. Can reach and seal the edge in run game. Accelerates into angle blocks, runs his feet and washes defender down. As base blocker, has ability to strike, turn and pin defensive ends on off­-tackle runs his way. Instinctive and proactive against twists.

ot all sources agree either.

Check yourself before you wreck yourself.

He was making a rationalization based upon what he has read. Question his resources if you will, but not all sources agree either.  I'll post two scouting reports I have from sources I trust much more than WalterFootball, etc...

LClark_zpsum5zwpb7.jpg

LClark2_zpsf67e3iid.jpg

And this excerpt/summary from Chris Landry's scouting report-

"A fifth-year senior and four- year starter with guard and tackle experience. Clark is tough and competitive, but he still needs to add a little bulk. He has desirable NFL length and movement skills, but he also needs to improve his footwork and his pass-protection sets. Most of Clark’s negatives can likely be improved upon with more coaching. He flashes the traits to become an eventual starting left tackle in the league. I view him as a backup as a rookie and he should be a starter by the time his second season begins. He has upside. Clark will get drafted high because of that upside and his overall athleticism."

When it comes to scouting, we are not professional scouts.  Those professional scouts don't always agree. (which i think tells me player is also inconsistent, not all scout watch the same games)   And even when they give GM's their info, the GM's bat only .500 with their picks.  So in essence, we all 'get checked'.

Many Bothans died to bring me this information...

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

9 hours ago, Dustin said:

Sarcasm. Hard to take Grigson and his BPA mantra seriously when he talks about targeting players for months on end.

All GMs talk about taking BPA...then they all say that the player they just took was the player they wanted all along....it props up the player.  Who knows exactly why any player was taken when they were taken.

7 minutes ago, DougDew said:

All GMs talk about taking BPA...then they all say that the player they just took was the player they wanted all along....it props up the player.  Who knows exactly why any player was taken when they were taken.

GM's target players, by position, for sure. And they rank their targeted guys highly, of course. (or they would not target them!) Then they have a 'ranking board', irrespective of position.  If the highest grade player at position of need is even close to the best player on the Ranking Board', then they go with their position player and he is BPA in their mind because he is so close to the true BPA guy in rank.  Now when your Big Board BPA player is far above in rank than your position players rankings, that's when you shift gears and take that Big Board player (Phillip Dorsett last year).  Either way, the GM can say- "We stayed true to our board", and be right.

16 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

GM's target players, by position, for sure. And they rank their targeted guys highly, of course. (or they would not target them!) Then they have a 'ranking board', irrespective of position.  If the highest grade player at position of need is even close to the best player on the Ranking Board', then they go with their position player and he is BPA in their mind because he is so close to the true BPA guy in rank.  Now when your Big Board BPA player is far above in rank than your position players rankings, that's when you shift gears and take that Big Board player (Phillip Dorsett last year).  Either way, the GM can say- "We stayed true to our board", and be right.

That may be.  Publically before the draft, they all talk about taking BPA.  Then in the presser after the pick, they talk about how much they wanted the guy.  The latter is all about propping their new employee.

They could say.."he was simply the best player left on our board so we took him"  That doesn't do much for the player, IMO.

1 hour ago, Chucklez said:

QBs had all day to throw against us last season. It'll only be worse this season. 

It won't be worst, we will have a healthy d line better corners , healthier Mathis and a new guy running the defense scheme with can create more pressure from different fronts and looks and blitz. I understand what your say but fixing the Oline was  must . Like no one can complain about going Oline after seeing luck missed all them games and have all them injuries. We can get lucky and win playoff games with luck and bad def . We gonna be picking top 10 with a pass rusher and no luck due to injury. Also a pass rusher loses his value if u don't have the lead which was not gonna happen with out luck 

Watching Clark again right now. He's sooo raw... It's a shame these guys get absolutely NO NFL training/coaching until they're ready to be drafted. It's simple stuff -- hand placement, kick slide, re-setting, cutting off the edge, arm extension, etc. -- but all these spread offenses just tell the linemen to cut their man off, push him deep so the QB can escape, etc. No technique, no refinement.

He has the tools, though. He moves well, when he uses his hands and arms properly he can lock his man out, he can mirror when his feet settle down, he can anchor, and he can even fire with leverage from a three point stance. It's all there, just totally untapped. I don't even think he's necessarily a project, I think he just needs someone to tell him 'here's how to do it in the NFL,' and he'll be fine. It will take him a year to get stronger, but he could probably play RT right now and be good enough in pass pro. He reportedly had a below average Wonderlic score, so hopefully he's coachable.

On the same note, his QB at Texas Tech is super talented. Great arm, good mobility, good enough size, makes plays... but like Clark, he's getting no NFL training. His mechanics need work, from throwing motion (slight tweaks) to footwork. He's a project, but if he can take the coaching, he has tools that translate to the NFL. (Unrelated, the two skill guys who just got drafted -- DeAndre Washington and Jakeem Grant -- have special traits. I'm jealous. Grant is probably too small, but he's electric. Washington is smallish too, but has scat back potential for sure.)

2 hours ago, Superman said:

Watching Clark again right now. He's sooo raw... It's a shame these guys get absolutely NO NFL training/coaching until they're ready to be drafted. It's simple stuff -- hand placement, kick slide, re-setting, cutting off the edge, arm extension, etc. -- but all these spread offenses just tell the linemen to cut their man off, push him deep so the QB can escape, etc. No technique, no refinement.

He has the tools, though. He moves well, when he uses his hands and arms properly he can lock his man out, he can mirror when his feet settle down, he can anchor, and he can even fire with leverage from a three point stance. It's all there, just totally untapped. I don't even think he's necessarily a project, I think he just needs someone to tell him 'here's how to do it in the NFL,' and he'll be fine. It will take him a year to get stronger, but he could probably play RT right now and be good enough in pass pro. He reportedly had a below average Wonderlic score, so hopefully he's coachable.

Agree with this. His bend and leverage is also very inconsistent.  It doesnt hurt having Philbin as an OL coach. It really does depend on how quickly he picks it up.  While he needs to be shown how, i dont think it will be very quick. I wouldn't be surprised if he didnt start until mid season 

1 hour ago, OffensivelyPC said:

Agree with this. His bend and leverage is also very inconsistent.  It doesnt hurt having Philbin as an OL coach. It really does depend on how quickly he picks it up.  While he needs to be shown how, i dont think it will be very quick. I wouldn't be surprised if he didnt start until mid season 

I don't see him starting this year.

11 minutes ago, Superman said:

I don't see him starting this year.

I thought by your sentence "but he could probably play RT right now..." Was your opinion of when he should start. Leap of logic on my part. I think a mid-season start is reasonable even if optimistic. But like I said, depends on how fast he learns and translates. With Kelly and possibly Haeg, I think our OL is already better (perhaps Thornton does better to keep the job in our base zone block scheme). It can survive a year while Clark develops.

43 minutes ago, OffensivelyPC said:

I thought by your sentence "but he could probably play RT right now..." Was your opinion of when he should start. Leap of logic on my part. I think a mid-season start is reasonable even if optimistic. But like I said, depends on how fast he learns and translates. With Kelly and possibly Haeg, I think our OL is already better (perhaps Thornton does better to keep the job in our base zone block scheme). It can survive a year while Clark develops.

I meant in a pinch, if he has to, he wouldn't be a total disaster. That's assuming he makes some basic adjustments right away, like you said.

I think Kelly from 2015 was a better center than the guys we had. Assume he is what everyone thinks, and he's a sure upgrade at center. You probably know I think highly of Thornton, and with new coaching maybe he'll put it together finally. Reitz at RT is good enough, and everyone seems to be high on Good if necessary. Whatever competition there is across the board, whether for starting spots or primary backups, or weekly active spots, is a good thing. I think they'll make room for all four of the draft picks on the 53. AC, Mewhort, Thornton, Good and Reitz are on my list right now. That maybe leaves one spot for whoever shows some toughness and position versatility. Doesn't look good for Holmes or Harrison.

4 minutes ago, Superman said:

I meant in a pinch, if he has to, he wouldn't be a total disaster. That's assuming he makes some basic adjustments right away, like you said.

I think Kelly from 2015 was a better center than the guys we had. Assume he is what everyone thinks, and he's a sure upgrade at center. You probably know I think highly of Thornton, and with new coaching maybe he'll put it together finally. Reitz at RT is good enough, and everyone seems to be high on Good if necessary. Whatever competition there is across the board, whether for starting spots or primary backups, or weekly active spots, is a good thing. I think they'll make room for all four of the draft picks on the 53. AC, Mewhort, Thornton, Good and Reitz are on my list right now. That maybe leaves one spot for whoever shows some toughness and position versatility. Doesn't look good for Holmes or Harrison.

Options on the OL hasn't been a luxury for Pagano since he's been here. It's refreshing, really.

• 3 weeks later...
On 30/4/2016 at 5:21 AM, csmopar said:

This statement here shows you have NO clue what you're talking about.

Example 1:

Strengths:

Excellent athlete

Agility

Quick feet

Ideal length; great size for a left tackle

Extremely long arms (36.25 inches)

Fast to the second level

Good height

Built well

Big hands (10.88 inches)

Strength to sustain

Has run-blocking ability

Scheme flexibility

Superb fit in a zone-blocking scheme

Huge upside

Read more at http://walterfootball.com/scoutingreport2016lclark.php#p1JDZKBtwfxV6EkG.99

Example 2:

With long arms and good athleticism, it was a lock that position coaches would be more excited about Clark than some of the area scouts might have been. This coach brings up a really good point about collegiate offensive linemen for up-tempo offenses. Many tackles in these schemes require top-notch conditioning over top-notch technique. Coaches want to see athletic traits and ability -- they assume they can fix the technical issues. I've had Clark as a first-round tackle since we started the mock-draft process in January and that won't change for me.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000651334/article/nfc-rbs-coach-cant-envision-derrick-henry-going-in-round-1

Example 3: 

STRENGTHS

Possesses good thickness through his rear and thighs helping him drop and anchor. Plays with outstanding foot quickness in his pass sets. Able to mirror head­-faking pass rushers like a cornerback with ability to shift weight and change directions seamlessly. Uses choppy, controlled slides in pass sets instead of long, protracted kick-­slides. Able to shut down darting inside moves with relative ease. Blessed with exceptionally long arms. Uses length and excellent timing to get hands on edge rushers quickly disrupting their game­plan. Has athleticism to effectively recover and fight back when he gets beaten. When he gets hands on defender and locks out, it is over. Has impressive sink steps inside to wall of B­-gap against twists and the backside in running game. Does adequate job of sustaining blocks. Plus lateral quickness off the snap. Can reach and seal the edge in run game. Accelerates into angle blocks, runs his feet and washes defender down. As base blocker, has ability to strike, turn and pin defensive ends on off­-tackle runs his way. Instinctive and proactive against twists.

Check yourself before you wreck yourself.

Dear lord im sorry to express my opinion (also sorry to answer late was travelling). 

Look if he pans out to be a great Guard because of his amazing run blocking skills fine ill be happy cause i root for the team not being right. But from the 2 games i saw (not highlights) he plays on a nintendo spread offense where he never was on a 3pt stance.

Look im not saying he cant run block, and maybe i didnt made my self clear cause i posted from a cellhpone  so i was lazy, but  he is huge and he wins with AA and will be probably have a  lot to learn but i just dontt see him right now as a Guard. 

Instead of just going with what you read on a site, go watch for yourself.

If you watch Grigsons clip when we drafted him he even call him "a left tackle protect the qb kind of guy".

And if you like the articles then read what scouts said of him:

" Longest arms (36 1/8) and biggest hands (11) at the position. "In a couple years maybe he could start," said one scout. "Just because he's so damn long." Started 13 games at RG and the last 38 at LT in a throwing attack. "He's coming out of spread offense, he doesn't know anything about run blocking and he ain't very strong," a second scout said. Just 18 reps on the bench, worst at the position, and Wonderlic of 17. "He's got a lot of up side," a third scout said. "He's got feet, athleticism and length. They tell me he may have knee issues." From Rockdale, Texas. "

http://www.stampedeblue.com/2016/5/19/11692054/what-did-anonymous-scouts-say-about-the-players-the-colts-drafted-ryan-kelly-tj-green-leraven-clark

Also you are basing your comments on a site that had us drafting kamalei correa on the first.....You trust walterfootball, I will be happy to agree with scouts.

Also not trying to start a beef or a fighting or whatever just i stand by comments.