Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jim Tressel?/why Tressel Should Get The Job (Merge)

hoosiercoltsfan82

• Replies 367
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I understand why so many people have a problem with Tressel. This is Big Ten country, and you either love or hate Ohio State. lol. I am not biased. I dont care what team someone else coached. He was a great, and I mean great, college coach.

I just dont like the idea of a college HC comming into the NFL and straight to a HC position. I know he was here half the year as a replay dude. Thats not the same. Although, it is more then most college HC's that think they can just step right into a NFL HCing position and know what they are doing. I dont really even want them running an offense or defense. The NFL is all about schemes and disguising coverages and formations. Its very complicated compared to college ball. There is a reason it takes rookies a few years to catch on. But, for some reason some people think a college coach can step in and get it done from day one.

Just saying, lets get a NFL HC. Not a project.

Maybe as OC, not HC, , "and I thought my jokes were bad?" Irsay turining into the Joker here; so much talk how there may be a young assistant out there to be HC; last I checked Tressel nearly 60. Maybe we should contact Marv Levy, Parcells, Marty Ball. Think Irsay waiting to interview someone from playoff teams Giants or Ravens.

Did you not watch the 2002 National Championship game??? That Jim Tressel coached team played dirty that night. The one where Columbus Ohio resident, Referee Terry Porter threw a flag that changed the outcome of the game after the game was over. It was such a debauchery the the next year the NCAA implemented the instant replay rule. Thats why I don't like him or OSU ...47082_445737832736_36787232736_5345954_5294390_n.jpg

Just an FYI, if Ohio State didnt get hosed on a call it wouldnt have even made it to OT because they could have run the clock out.

You have selective memory and Im not even close to an OSU fan.

Just an FYI, if Ohio State didnt get hosed on a call it wouldnt have even made it to OT because they could have run the clock out.

You have selective memory and Im not even close to an OSU fan.

Yeah I saw the little grab of the jersey. The penalty was not called because it was an untcatchable ball, The ball was thrown out of bounds. How bout all the late hits on Ken Dorsey that were never called. Everytime they would hit him they made sure to put the crown of their helmet right into Ken Dorseys bicep. He couldn't even hold his arm up correctly... Yet there was never a flag...The Injury to McGahee wasn't a clean hit either. Explain that...

Jim Tressel would be a disaster hire for the Colts. I know a lot of you say, "I don't watch college football, but he seemed to be a great coach." Let me try to explain why he wasn't:

1. His playcalling was extremely conservative. If you think Caldwell lacked aggression, you will find that Tressel is not much better, and possibly worse.

2. He underachieved at OSU. Sure, he got to BCS bowl games coming out a pretty weak Big Ten conference, but when he ran up on an SEC school, his teams usually got waxed. Heck, there was even talk among some OSU fans that I know about wanting Tressel out because of his teams' tendency to choke in bowl games.

3. He won games because he had superior talent. Ohio is a hotbed of good college football players, and Tressel was a good recruiter. It was a perfect match. He was able to lure the best players to OSU, and he won games. Unfortunately, his prowess as a recruiter would not help us any way.

Jim Tressel would be a disaster hire for the Colts. I know a lot of you say, "I don't watch college football, but he seemed to be a great coach." Let me try to explain why he wasn't:

1. His playcalling was extremely conservative. If you think Caldwell lacked aggression, you will find that Tressel is not much better, and possibly worse.

2. He underachieved at OSU. Sure, he got to BCS bowl games coming out a pretty weak Big Ten conference, but when he ran up on an SEC school, his teams usually got waxed. Heck, there was even talk among some OSU fans that I know about wanting Tressel out because of his teams' tendency to choke in bowl games.

3. He won games because he had superior talent. Ohio is a hotbed of good college football players, and Tressel was a good recruiter. It was a perfect match. He was able to lure the best players to OSU, and he won games. Unfortunately, his prowess as a recruiter would not help us any way.

This is the post of the year so far....

To me its pretty simple. I have been a season ticket holder for 16 years. If they hire Tressel, I WILL NOT renew my tickets. Mr. Irsay always preaches being a "good citizen". Tressel has had issues everywhere he has been. He may be a good football coach, but he is not a leader of men. He has "used" his players with no supervision to get where he did. That is not the kind of man we need leading and coaching this organization.

Tressel would be way to conservative as head coach of the Colts.

This was taken from Wikipedia on Tressel...

As Ohio State's head coach, Tressel is known for a conservative style of play calling (dubbed "Tressel-ball"), winning games with just enough scoring, strong defense, and "playing field position. Tressel often refers to the punt as the most important play in football.

Please Mr. Irsay Not Tressel!!!!

I was out late for my friends birthday :drink: Beside the fact that I hate Tressel. I think he is a REACH at best... Most coachs who were good in college fall flat on their face in the NFL. Take Nick Saban for example

And why is that? My guess is that they were control freaks who wanted and GOT total control of the team. Saban, Spurrier, Holtz all failed because they are Alpha males who talk down to their players. Tress is NOT that kind of person. He knows how to communicate with MEN. That is KEY in the NFL. I am telling you all as an OSU fan, he is more Dungy than Saban.

And regardless of the sillyness that went down @ OSU he is a good man. And his teams always played ballz out for him. Honestly... Who would be a "better" choice? Outside of Dungy, Cowher, Marty, or Gruden?

Jim Tressel will be a great choice when he is named HC. I am geeked.

Tressel would be way to conservative as head coach of the Colts.

This was taken from Wikipedia on Tressel...

As Ohio State's head coach, Tressel is known for a conservative style of play calling (dubbed "Tressel-ball"), winning games with just enough scoring, strong defense, and "playing field position. Tressel often refers to the punt as the most important play in football.

Please Mr. Irsay Not Tressel!!!!

This is comical... have you watched Colt ST's the last DECADE? ST alone has cost the Colts how many games, let alone playoff games? GREAT ST's will win you football games.

The SB vs the Saints...

Jet playoff loss

Steeler playoff loss...

Miami playoff loss...

I can go on and on... coverage, or lack there of... missed FG's, .... Absolutely NO return game, save the Pyatt games. very poor in Indy for a very long time now.

FIELD POSITION IS HUGE.

Was his play calling conservative with Troy Smith? You "adapt to the talent on your team" Pryor cannot throw the ball

Hmmm how many NC's has the SEC won in a row now? Please wise one tell me who would beat these teams? Underachieved.. now that is truly silly.

So what was his excuse @ Youngstown St.... loaded again? seriously man look @ his resume. Here I'll link it for you.

5-3 In BCS bowl games... Underachieved? sigh...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Tressel

And why is that? My guess is that they were control freaks who wanted and GOT total control of the team. Saban, Spurrier, Holtz all failed because they are Alpha males who talk down to their players. Tress is NOT that kind of person. He knows how to communicate with MEN. That is KEY in the NFL. I am telling you all as an OSU fan, he is more Dungy than Saban.

And regardless of the sillyness that went down @ OSU he is a good man. And his teams always played ballz out for him. Honestly... Who would be a "better" choice? Outside of Dungy, Cowher, Marty, or Gruden?

Jim Tressel will be a great choice when he is named HC. I am geeked.

Please stop with the Tressel slurping... If this is what it comes down to we might as well just not even have a HC. This hire will be an EPIC FAIL.... The last coach was hired from the bottom of the barrel, and tressel is no better..... The one thing that Jim Caldwell and Jim Tressel have in common is: No one is interested in them besides the Colts.... Notice no other franchises have even entertained the thought of.... Oh let's hire Tressel, or Oh let's hire Caldwell. The reason you don't hear that is because they suck. Everyone know this.. The rest of the NFL will ROTFL @ this....... End of Story....

None of the fans on this board know if anyone has any interest in Caldwell or Tressel. Tressel is still employed by the Colts; it's up to the media to announce whether a team has requested permission to talk to a current employee, it's not up to the team to broadcast that. As far as Caldwell, he is not employed now so there are no league mandates that say a team has to announce when or if they talk to him. So while that statement may be true, we don't have any idea if it is actually true. And teams can contact an agent for either of those guys without actually talking to the person directly. Just wanting to set the record straight on how things actually work. End of story...

None of the fans on this board know if anyone has any interest in Caldwell or Tressel. Tressel is still employed by the Colts; it's up to the media to announce whether a team has requested permission to talk to a current employee, it's not up to the team to broadcast that. As far as Caldwell, he is not employed now so there are no league mandates that say a team has to announce when or if they talk to him. So while that statement may be true, we don't have any idea if it is actually true. And teams can contact an agent for either of those guys without actually talking to the person directly. Just wanting to set the record straight on how things actually work. End of story...

lmao @ you... You are reaching big time.... In this day and age you don't think Adam Shefner wouldn't tweet which teams are interested in which candidates????? Again, lmao @ you.... :slaphead:dumbanddumberjpg.jpg

Here is a list of assumptions parading as facts:

Head coaching experience in the NFL is necessary for success.

A head coach who is conservative will not work(succeed) for the Colts.

The events that were tagged by the NCAA make JT unethical.

I find the yearly ranking of Notre Dame recruits as being 4 star (to sell publications) that rarely amount to anything at the NFL level, as being unethical. However, it is what the system is. Just as what the coach did is what the system is. The NCAA try to cover 16" of road rash with a extra small steri-strip. It is laughable. It is my opinion that there are true NCAA violations so much bigger and common than the ones JT was tagged for, its a laugher.

For all those out there who are waiving the ethics flag.....if you wanted FIsher or Cowher and you found out after he was hired that he knowingly claimed cellular charges on his taxes for a business that were actually personal calls, would you suddenly be calling for his dismissal?

lmao @ you... You are reaching big time.... In this day and age you don't think Adam Shefner wouldn't tweet which teams are interested in which candidates????? Again, lmao @ you.... :slaphead:dumbanddumberjpg.jpg

I'm just addressing your comments. You say "The one thing that Jim Caldwell and Jim Tressel have in common is: No one is interested in them besides the Colts.... Notice no other franchises have even entertained the thought of.... Oh let's hire Tressel, or Oh let's hire Caldwell. The reason you don't hear that is because they suck. Everyone know this.. The rest of the NFL will ROTFL @ this....... End of Story...." I am simply pointing out that you have no idea if that is true or not. So why should I pay attention to anything that follows it? Simply back up what you say, and it's easier to put some validity into what you post. It's really that simple. It's nothing personal, although you continually seem to want to take it to that place.

Speaking of dumb and dumber...I type this as I take a break this afternoon from managing a million$$ annual business...you type as, let's see, you wake up at noon after staying out late drinking. See, it's easy to make comments like that. One really has nothing to do with the other. But at least my comment is based on fact...

Please stop with the Tressel slurping... If this is what it comes down to we might as well just not even have a HC. This hire will be an EPIC FAIL.... The last coach was hired from the bottom of the barrel, and tressel is no better..... The one thing that Jim Caldwell and Jim Tressel have in common is: No one is interested in them besides the Colts.... Notice no other franchises have even entertained the thought of.... Oh let's hire Tressel, or Oh let's hire Caldwell. The reason you don't hear that is because they suck. Everyone know this.. The rest of the NFL will ROTFL @ this....... End of Story....

Well Said!

The same way Bill Polian was supposed to be so great. Now Bill is available and you still dont hear of even one team thats interested in Polian

Okay, that's it...I'm done feeding the bears on this thread...

As I leave it, I'm reminded of two things...

...You can't go into a battle of wits with an unarmed person...

...You can let people think you are a fool or you can open your mouth and remove all doubt...

Tell that to Chip Kelly.... they got clowned by "TRESSEL BALL" :neener:

The soon to be NEXT HC of YOUR INDY Colts... :banana:

The vacated game was against Arkansas, actually, but good try.

He might be the next coach, but in two years you'll be calling for his job. I guarantee it. Also, this might be the worst thing that could possibly happen to a young quarterback that gets drafted by the Colts. Look at Tressel's QB products: Craig Krenzel, Justin Zwick, Troy Smith, Todd Boeckman, Terrelle Pryor...world class lineup, right there.

The vacated game was against Arkansas, actually, but good try.

He might be the next coach, but in two years you'll be calling for his job. I guarantee it. Also, this might be the worst thing that could possibly happen to a young quarterback that gets drafted by the Colts. Look at Tressel's QB products: Craig Krenzel, Justin Zwick, Troy Smith, Todd Boeckman, Terrelle Pryor...world class lineup, right there.

Yep, OSU has been QB talent "light" ... and yet "TRESSEL BALL" has 2 of the 5 you mention as sorry... earning and NFL paycheck...

Give up yet?

Oh .. ARKANSAS.. and SEC TEAM.. hehe..

Now do you give up?

So we go from Peyton Manning breaking passing records and the Colts scoring tons of points...

To Andrew Luck running "Tressel-Ball"

Wow, that sounds like fun.

It's not supposed to be fun.

It's supposed to be a new era.

The fans spoke. The owner listened. Everything must change. Brace yourself.

It's not supposed to be fun.

It's supposed to be a new era.

The fans spoke. The owner listened. Everything must change. Brace yourself.

I agree, but as JMV stated a week or so ago... Let's hope this "new era" is not going ot resemble the "old era" when Irsay played a major role in the organization.

Because he was an EPIC failure.

...okay, ONE last statement. I don't know why everyone here assumes what Tressel's style will be. When Dungy came, because of his background, everyone thought we would have one of the top dominant defenses in the league for years, because that was his background and his style. But he ADAPTED...he worked with what he had and built around that. I think Tressel, or ANY good coach worth his salt, would do exactly the same. Good coaches know how to adapt, adopt, and build. I know many of you will say Tressel can't and/or won't. I think he, along with most of the other candidates being mentioned, would do exactly that. So while Polian might have gone by the "past is prologue" theory, it ain't always so.

So the "new era" involves limiting Andrew Luck (or Manning) as a passer, with a conservative offense?

And watching your favorite team should be fun.

Do honestly think if he was hired he would run a typical college O? Seriously...

Oh but Harbaugh is running the same simple college 3 yards and a cloud of dust O... is it working?

Tress will adapt,