Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Rivalries in the AFC South

ColtsFanMikeC

We were lucky to have witnessed one of, if not the, greatest rivalry during the Peyton-era in Indy -- that being Colts vs. Patriots.  The rivalry started in the AFC East and continued after we moved to the AFC South.

In Luck's first 3 years, there was some debate as to whether Luck was a great QB leading a team to 11 wins, or if we had the luxury of being in a crappy division with 6 wins handed to us.

I hope (and believe) our team winning 11 wins in Luck's first three years wasn't a fluke. 

Now in the AFC South we have one of the best young QBs in the league and we have to face the Texans with the best young defensive player in the league (JJ Watt) 2 times per year for the next several years.  The Jags and Titans seem to have respectable young QBs in Bortles and Mariota, while the Texans just signed a highly-touted young QB in Osweiler.

There could be a pretty good argument made that the future of the 4 QBs in the AFC South is as bright, if not brighter, than just about any other division in the league.

I hope, with a healthy Luck, we can continue dominating the AFC South -- but am also excited in that what was once considered a garbage division is now becoming, or on its way to becoming, a potentially very competitive division.

My prediction is that we will have another year or 2 fighting with Watt/Osweiler and the Texans while the Titans and Jags play catch-up.  After that, I think this division can turn into one of the strongest divisions in the league (assuming QB health and no major departures).

Any one else have thoughts?

10 hours ago, ColtsFanMikeC said:

We were lucky to have witnessed one of, if not the, greatest rivalry during the Peyton-era in Indy -- that being Colts vs. Patriots.  The rivalry started in the AFC East and continued after we moved to the AFC South.

In Luck's first 3 years, there was some debate as to whether Luck was a great QB leading a team to 11 wins, or if we had the luxury of being in a crappy division with 6 wins handed to us.

I hope (and believe) our team winning 11 wins in Luck's first three years wasn't a fluke. 

Now in the AFC South we have one of the best young QBs in the league and we have to face the Texans with the best young defensive player in the league (JJ Watt) 2 times per year for the next several years.  The Jags and Titans seem to have respectable young QBs in Bortles and Mariota, while the Texans just signed a highly-touted young QB in Osweiler.

There could be a pretty good argument made that the future of the 4 QBs in the AFC South is as bright, if not brighter, than just about any other division in the league.

I hope, with a healthy Luck, we can continue dominating the AFC South -- but am also excited in that what was once considered a garbage division is now becoming, or on its way to becoming, a potentially very competitive division.

My prediction is that we will have another year or 2 fighting with Watt/Osweiler and the Texans while the Titans and Jags play catch-up.  After that, I think this division can turn into one of the strongest divisions in the league (assuming QB health and no major departures).

We lucked out beating the Jags the 1st game! And they should be several points better on
Offense and Defense. LOL them "catching up".
And TN did enough in FA to make themselves competitive with us. This draft shortens their path considerably. lol
  Houston will be a difficult team for us.
 JMO, i would take the odds that we have a - record in our division over a + next season.

7 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

We lucked out beating the Jags the 1st game! And they should be several points better on
And TN did enough in FA to make themselves competitive with us. This draft shortens their path considerably. lol
 JMO, i would take the odds that we have a - record in our division over a + next season.

You just continue being a truth bearer of optimistic thinking and good news now don't ya!  Mr. Chicken Little....

4 hours ago, krunk said:

When did Osweiler turn into one of the best young quarterbacks in the league?

I said he is a 'highly-touted young QB.'

Then I said the AFC South has arguably the best 4 young QB's in the league -- meaning as a division...  let me break this down for you:

AFC South: Andrew Luck, Blake Bortles, Marcus Mariota, Brock Osweiler  -- all of these guys are young and talented and should have at least 8 years left of playing at a high level in the league, assuming no major health issues.  Luck has shown he is at or near the elite category, while Bortles and Mariota have shown flashes of brilliance, and all 3 have suffered from not having a top-notch surrounding cast (which it looks like teams are building around them).  Osweiler went 5-2, threw for almost 2,000 yards, and 10 TDs in 7 games when he had a chance (and was under tutelage of Peyton) -- if you project those numbers to a 16 game season, he would have had an amazing year last year (4,000 + passing yards, >20 TDs, >10 wins). 

AFC East: Tom Brady, Tyrod Taylor, Ryan Tannehill, Geno Smith -- Brady is elite but has 1-2 years left in him, Tannehill is young and promising, I don't think Taylor or Smith can hold a candle to any of the young QBs in the AFC South.

AFC North: Joe Flacco, Andy Dalton, RGIII, Ben Roethlisberger -- Big Ben and Flacco have won superbowls, but Ben has been in the league for 12 years already, he has fought injuries and probably doesn't have more than 3-4 years left of playing at a high level.  Flacco has a cannon for an arm, and is a pretty good QB but is older than any QB in the South.  Dalton is a game manager with skills that I would say are no better than any QB in the South.  RGIII hasn't been an effective NFL QB since his rookie year.

AFC West: Mark Sanchez, Phillip Rivers, Alex Smith, Derek Carr -- Sanchez is not better than any QB in the South.  Rivers is physically talented, but a mental headcase and is 12 years into his career -- don't expect him to be around for more than a few more years.  Alex Smith is a game manager with a skill set no better than any QB in the South.  Derek Carr is a young and very promising QB.  Assuming health issues don't come into play, there is no argument that this division has 4 better QBs than the South over the long-haul.

NFC South:  Jameis Winston, Drew Brees, Cam Newton, Matt Ryan -- Winston had a pretty good rookie year, Newton is a young stud.  Brees has been in the league since 2001, not more than 2-3 more years left.  Matt Ryan is a good QB who is older than any QB in the South.

NFC East: Eli Manning, Sam Bradford, Kirk Cousins, Tony Romo -- Eli and Romo don't have much left in the tank.  Bradford struggled in his first healthy year.  Cousins is not better than any QB in the South.

NFC North:  Teddy Bridgewater, Matt Stafford, Aaron Rogers, Jay Cutler -- Rogers and Cutler are aging -- Rogers is elite, Cutler is arguably the most bi-polar QB in league history with his performances, Bridgewater seems to be young and pretty good -- Stafford has shown flashes but can't seem to keep himself healthy and also hasn't proven himself without having Megatron.  No way is there an argument that this division has 4 QBs who can be set for a near decade-long rivarly, like the South.

NFC West:  Russell Wilson, Blaine Gabbert, Carson Palmer, Case Keenum -- Carson Palmer has 1 year left, at most.  Wilson is young and talented, Gabbert is comparable to the 3 QBs in the South behind Luck, I don't need to mention Case Keenum, as it looks as though the Rams will draft a QB at #1 this year.  The 8th division mentioned here has 1 thing in common with all divisions except the AFC South -- they don't have 4 QBs that are as skilled or as young as the 4 in the South.

56 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

I think the Jags are still several pieces away on defense.  Their offense is scary, though.  They are close, but I think with a healthy roster we still have a better team.  TN will be competitive, but I still think a year or 2 away from challenging to win the South.  Houston will be a difficult team for any team in the league with their defense plus the addition of a respectable QB. 

I still think we should be able to win the south next year (assuming healthy Luck), but after that, what was once considered the easiest division in football may turn into the toughest division in football.  That was the point of this post -- I think there is potential with this division to see Luck develop rivalries with any of the QBs from other teams for the next decade and we may be getting ready to witness something similar to what we saw with Peyton and Brady for the last decade+.

7 minutes ago, ColtsFanMikeC said:

Then I said the AFC South has arguably the best 4 young QB's in the league -- meaning as a division...  let me break this down for you:

AFC South: Andrew Luck, Blake Bortles, Marcus Mariota, Brock Osweiler  -- all of these guys are young and talented and should have at least 8 years left of playing at a high level in the league, assuming no major health issues.  Luck has shown he is at or near the elite category, while Bortles and Mariota have shown flashes of brilliance, and all 3 have suffered from not having a top-notch surround cast (which it looks like teams are building around them).  Osweiler went 5-2, threw for almost 2,000 yards, and 10 TDs in 7 games when he had a chance (and was under tutelage of Peyton) -- if you project those numbers to a 16 game season, he would have had an amazing year last year (4,000 + passing yards, >20 TDs, >10 wins). 

AFC East: Tom Brady, Tyrod Taylor, Ryan Tannehill, Geno Smith -- Brady is elite but has 1-2 years left in him, Tannehill is young and promising, I don't think Taylor or Smith can hold a candle to any of the young QBs in the AFC South.

AFC North: Joe Flacco, Andy Dalton, RGIII, Ben Roethlisberger -- Big Ben and Flacco have won superbowls, but Ben has been in the league for 12 years already, he has fought injuries and probably doesn't have more than 3-4 years left of playing at a high level.  Flacco has a cannon for an arm, and is a pretty good QB but is older than any QB in the South.  Dalton is a game manager with skills that I would say are no better than any QB in the South.  RGIII hasn't been an effective NFL QB since his rookie year.

AFC West: Mark Sanchez, Phillip Rivers, Alex Smith, Derek Carr -- Sanchez is not better than any QB in the South.  Rivers is physically talented, but a mental headcase and is 12 years into his career -- don't expect him to be around for more than a few more years.  Alex Smith is a game manager with a skill set no better than any QB in the South.  Derek Carr is a young and very promising QB.  Assuming health issues don't come into play, there is no argument that this division has 4 better QBs than the South over the long-haul.

NFC South:  Jameis Winston, Drew Brees, Cam Newton, Matt Ryan -- Winston had a pretty good rookie year, Newton is a young stud.  Brees has been in the league since 2001, not more than 2-3 more years left.  Matt Ryan is a good QB who is older than any QB in the South.

NFC East: Eli Manning, Sam Bradford, Kirk Cousins, Tony Romo -- Eli and Romo don't have much left in the tank.  Bradford struggled in his first healthy year.  Cousins is not better than any QB in the South.

NFC North:  Teddy Bridgewater, Matt Stafford, Aaron Rogers, Jay Cutler -- Rogers and Cutler are aging -- Rogers is elite, Cutler is arguably the most bi-polar QB in league history with his performances, Bridgewater seems to be young and pretty good -- Stafford has shown flashes but can't seem to keep himself healthy and also hasn't proven himself without having Megatron.  No way is there an argument that this division has 4 QBs who can be set for a near decade-long rivarly, like the South.

NFC West:  Russell Wilson, Blaine Gabbert, Carson Palmer, Case Keenum -- Carson Palmer has 1 year left, at most.  Wilson is young and talented, Gabbert is comparable to the 3 QBs in the South behind Luck, I don't need to mention Case Keenum, as it looks as though the Rams will draft a QB at #1 this year.  The 8th division mentioned here has 1 thing in common with all divisions except the AFC South -- they don't have 4 QBs that are as skilled or as young as the 4 in the South.

Except cousins is prolly better then atleast 2 in the south for sure possibly 3 if he keeps developing last year was his first full year as a starter in the NFL and he had a pretty damn good year 

16 minutes ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

Except cousins is prolly better then atleast 2 in the south for sure possibly 3 if he keeps developing last year was his first full year as a starter in the NFL and he had a pretty damn good year 

I think Cousins is comparable to QBs in the south except Luck.  However, I think arguments can be made pretty easily to show that some of the other AFC South QBs has skill sets as good or greater than Cousins, and vice versa.

8 minutes ago, ColtsFanMikeC said:

I think Cousins is comparable to QBs in the south except Luck.  However, I think arguments can be made pretty easily to show that some of the other AFC South QBs has skill sets as good or greater than Cousins, and vice versa.

Cousins is a good QB and had all the tools he just was more of a project and needed some work coming out of college. now that he's getting his real shot and being worked with he is playing good he is a franchise QB.he would be even better had he went to a team and been giving a chance as a rookie and had a good QB guru to help him grow. 

18 minutes ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

Cousins is a good QB and had all the tools he just was more of a project and needed some work coming out of college. now that he's getting his real shot and being worked with he is playing good he is a franchise QB.he would be even better had he went to a team and been giving a chance as a rookie and had a good QB guru to help him grow. 

Almost every QB could/would be better with a QB guru to help.  The only one in the AFC South that has had that will be Osweiler, the other 3 have all come in to pretty crappy teams and faced the struggle all on their own.

I'm not disagreeing that Cousins is a good QB, and I would agree (as would the Redskins' management) that he is a franchise QB.  However, I don't think he is in a league apart from any of our division foes' QBs -- all of them have potential to be franchise QBs and, at least as far as physical tools go, I'd say it is pretty easy to argue that Bortles, Mariota, and Osweiler have equal or greater athletic ability.

2 hours ago, ColtsFanMikeC said:

Almost every QB could/would be better with a QB guru to help.  The only one in the AFC South that has had that will be Osweiler, the other 3 have all come in to pretty crappy teams and faced the struggle all on their own.

I'm not disagreeing that Cousins is a good QB, and I would agree (as would the Redskins' management) that he is a franchise QB.  However, I don't think he is in a league apart from any of our division foes' QBs -- all of them have potential to be franchise QBs and, at least as far as physical tools go, I'd say it is pretty easy to argue that Bortles, Mariota, and Osweiler have equal or greater athletic ability.

Maybe mobility I'll give them but as a pro offense QB Kirk is pretty smart and has a pretty good arm 

2 minutes ago, krunk said:

Cousins is going to have to show me another year of good play before I bite on him. RG3 had everybody fooled with his first year as well.

He has played at a high level before but the very first time he struggled they benched him and didn't give him a chance to over come a slump like most starters got they finally did that last year and he had a good year I hope he keeps getting better and better I've always been a big cousins fan since he was at MSU 

I must admit that Brock Osweiler is a tough quarterback to get a read on in Houston now. He performed well in Denver minus that game vs San Diego. Plus, he had an elite defense in Colorado which took a lot of the pressure off because even if he turned the ball over you knew Wolfe, Talib, & Ward would get the ball back in his hands lickedy split.

The Texans are good with Watt, Wilfork, & Cushing but not elite on defense. I just wanna see how Brock handles the ball without a lock down, security blanket defense. I like the kid, but being the heir apparent vs face of the franchise is a whole different animal. He scrabbles well & has a nice arm. I will give him that. However, I need to see 1 solid 10 to 12 win season before I will say that Brock is legit as a starter. 

5 hours ago, ColtsFanMikeC said:

I think the Jags are still several pieces away on defense.  Their offense is scary, though.  They are close, but I think with a healthy roster we still have a better team.  TN will be competitive, but I still think a year or 2 away from challenging to win the South.  Houston will be a difficult team for any team in the league with their defense plus the addition of a respectable QB. 

I still think we should be able to win the south next year (assuming healthy Luck), but after that, what was once considered the easiest division in football may turn into the toughest division in football.  That was the point of this post -- I think there is potential with this division to see Luck develop rivalries with any of the QBs from other teams for the next decade and we may be getting ready to witness something similar to what we saw with Peyton and Brady for the last decade+.

Right now, the Jags scare me the most in our division because that defense is starting to click & the game is starting to slow down for Blake Bortles. Regarding the Texans, I have a soft spot for JJ since he graduated from my college alma mater & I love the guy. Brock has promise like I said above, but I need to see more. Titans, with the swapping of the 1st pick in 2016 to the LA Rams, seemed poised to fill more gapping holes faster in 2-3 yrs ahead of schedule & Mariotta seems worthy of being their leader for the next 12-15 yrs. 

I just hope Joe Philbin can fix our line asap because the competition gap among our foes is closing fast. No more WRs Grigs think LB, secondary, & edge containment. 

6 hours ago, ColtsFanMikeC said:

AFC South: Andrew Luck, Blake Bortles, Marcus Mariota, Brock Osweiler  -- all of these guys are young and talented and should have at least 8 years left of playing at a high level in the league, assuming no major health issues.  Luck has shown he is at or near the elite category, while Bortles and Mariota have shown flashes of brilliance, and all 3 have suffered from not having a top-notch surrounding cast (which it looks like teams are building around them).  Osweiler went 5-2, threw for almost 2,000 yards, and 10 TDs in 7 games when he had a chance (and was under tutelage of Peyton) -- if you project those numbers to a 16 game season, he would have had an amazing year last year (4,000 + passing yards, >20 TDs, >10 wins). 

Gotta disagree with you on Eli Manning my friend. If Easy Eli would have had a heathy Victor Cruz & OBJ on the field together at the same time, there's no way the Redskins would have won the division title this year. Plus, with JPP back in the fold & new pass rushers on their team in 2016. Eli won't need to have laser perfect touchdown throws this year either. Eli's not washed up. Trust me. 

Yeah, I know I biased when it comes to Big Blue. I will own that. However, GM Jerry Reese has returned to their SB winning formula: Relentless pass rush & pound the rock. It ain't pretty but it wins a ton of football games down the stretch. 

If Eli sucked, I'd tell you but he's coming into his stride now & I see one more ring on his finger. 

1 hour ago, southwest1 said:

Gotta disagree with you on Eli Manning my friend. If Easy Eli would have had a heathy Victor Cruz & OBJ on the field together at the same time, there's no way the Redskins would have won the division title this year. Plus, with JPP back in the fold & new pass rushers on their team in 2016. Eli won't need to have laser perfect touchdown throws this year either. Eli's not washed up. Trust me. 

Yeah, I know I biased when it comes to Big Blue. I will own that. However, GM Jerry Reese has returned to their SB winning formula: Relentless pass rush & pound the rock. It ain't pretty but it wins a ton of football games down the stretch. 

If Eli sucked, I'd tell you but he's coming into his stride now & I see one more ring on his finger. 

Oh, I grew up in NJ and my family are huge Giant fans -- they're really the only other team I ever root for.  I don't disagree with you that Eli might have a couple of good years in him, especially given a healthy roster -- but he is 35 years old. 

I didn't say he is washed up -- I just don't think he has more than 3-4 years left in him.  Luck, who is 26 on the other hand, if we can protect him, should have at least 10-14 years left in him.  Marriota is 22, Bortles is 23, and Osweiler is 25.

I just don't see a division in football that has 4 solid QBs age 26 and under.  If these players all stay healthy and all become franchise QBs, we should see at least another decade of very good QB play in the AFC South.

Eli is still playing good ball, but we're not going to see him for more than another 3-5 more years, being that he is 9-13 years older than any QB in the AFC South.

On ‎4‎/‎15‎/‎2016 at 7:30 AM, krunk said:

When did Osweiler turn into one of the best young quarterbacks in the league?

He does not have to be-their offense is OK much like the Colts offense is OK but their defense is much better than ours

Like it or not the Colts have had a cake walk in their division to the point it was boring at times. I like this new era as the game will go to the 4th quarter with the game in question for a change. Let's see how the brass handles the new competitiveness in terms of personnel choices to wear the uniforms. It should give us a better insight to our head coach as well.

On ‎4‎/‎15‎/‎2016 at 1:53 AM, ColtsFanMikeC said:

I have thoughts, colts are not going to dominate anything. going to be lucky to keep pace...

17 hours ago, BOTT said:

The colts offense will be far better than OK.

Agreed. How much "far better" than "ok" to be determined. Chudzinski is quite capable of designing a Playbook around Luck & Co. to bring out the best from Andrew. If the powers that be are correct, the Colts have only seen a portion of what Luck truly holds as a NFL QB. We'll see soon enough. 

3 hours ago, King Colt said:

And who will be carrying the balls this year?. "OK" and "good" don't win SBs and Luck has to get his INTs down and get rid of the ball quicker for starters.

They will be better than good...probably top 7.  That doesn't mean I expect them to win the SB.

and for starters, Luck actually has a real OC for once.

15 hours ago, BOTT said:

They will be better than good...probably top 7.  That doesn't mean I expect them to win the SB.

and for starters, Luck actually has a real OC for once.

This.

Like 1000... more like 10000000 times please.

On 4/15/2016 at 1:21 PM, ColtsFanMikeC said:

ok, but let me break this down for you....the AFC South is also the only division in football in which all 4 teams have young, up-and-coming QBs.  Every other division has at least one team with a veteran QB.  So, saying the AFC South has the best "4 young QBs" is kind of unfair because they'd have no competition for that 'title'. :P

1 hour ago, Jason_S said:

ok, but let me break this down for you....the AFC South is also the only division in football in which all 4 teams have young, up-and-coming QBs.  Every other division has at least one team with a veteran QB.  So, saying the AFC South has the best "4 young QBs" is kind of unfair because they'd have no competition for that 'title'. :P

It isn't unfair -- it is true.  Every other division in the league can be in competition for that title, we just win it hands down.

There is no other division that should (assuming health) see at least a decade more of good QB play.  Hence, the title of the post.  We were lucky as Colts fans to see Manning and Brady start their rivalry in the AFC East - although it moved quickly to AFC East vs. AFC South, it was maintained.

Luck will likely never go down as a 'rival' to Brady, being that they will likely have only faced each other fewer than 10 times in their careers.

However, we (factually based, like my break down) are in a division that should see Luck play at least 20 regular season games against these guys over the next decade, and who knows how many playoff match-ups.  I am hoping all these young QBs continue to develop and that we can see some exciting football for a long time in the AFC South.

9 minutes ago, ColtsFanMikeC said:

It isn't unfair -- it is true.  Every other division in the league can be in competition for that title,

My last post was mostly in jest...but seriously though, all I really meant was that the AFC South is the only team that already has their young Franchise QB of the future (each team hopes).  There is no other division in football that can say that...every other division has at least 1 team that still has an older vet QB, and the majority of those teams don't have their young Franchise QB of the future on the roster...so of course those divisions don't have four good, young QBs. :)