Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Your confidence with the draft this year

With the draft only a few short weeks away how confident are you with Grigson picking this year? He had a remarkable draft last year with every player getting atleast a little playing time and hit very well with geathers, anderson, parry, and looking very hopeful with dorsett, smith, and Good. I feel like there's alot of talent in this draft (not in a position of need like olb though) and I beleive he will stick to his board just like he did last year. It seems like he and the FO are really focusing hard on the draft this year so I'm very excited about this draft and can see him pulling alot of quality players in. I really he doesn't miss badly like years past.

I'm confident they will take BPA(within reason and use positional need as a tie-breaker of very closely rated prospects only, i.e. I don't expect them to take Wentz at 18 even if they think he's worth the pick) and that's really all I can ask for. Great football teams are built by taking the best talent in the draft and accumulating as many impact players as you can at different positions. In the short-term it might create appearance of neglecting needs and loading on already strong positions, but in the long-run you will have much better roster.

Draft BPA, fill holes in FA.

Now the question is whether or not I trust their evaluation of the talent and that's a bit more contentious, but as a whole I'd say I trust their evaluation more than I trust mine, although I'd surely have my disagreements with the draft one way or another.

I'm not very confident of just how much talent we will come away with.

I don't think this is a very good draft.     I'd give it a "C" or maybe even a "C-"

I don't see much that excites me from any given round.   Very few players making me sit-up and take notice.

As always in cases like this,   I hope I'm wrong.     I don't like being a Negative Nancy....    but I think we did a mostly solid job last year....   so I'm modestly hopeful Grigson and Pagano will have another solid draft again.

8 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I'm not very confident of just how much talent we will come away with.

I don't think this is a very good draft.     I'd give it a "C" or maybe even a "C-"

I don't see much that excites me from any given round.   Very few players making me sit-up and take notice.

As always in cases like this,   I hope I'm wrong.     I don't like being a Negative Nancy....    but I think we did a mostly solid job last year....   so I'm modestly hopeful Grigson and Pagano will have another solid draft again.

I think it's a good "Grigson draft" in teh sense that it's not top heavy, but there is a lot of guys in the 2nd and 3rd rounds that will be valuable starters with some good projects in the 4th round and later that can really work their way into contributory roles.  So I say "Grigson draft" because that's historically where Grigson has pulled a lot more out of days 2 and 3 than most other GMs do.  It's not hte type of draft that people flock to day one to watch.  But days 2 and 3 of the draft will be very interesting, IMO.

I'm pretty confident. The WR class is really poor so I don't see him spending a high round pick there again because I don't think there will be any value there.

Personally, I don't think the O-Line needs to be Adressed until later, but the class is deep enough that we should be able to finally upgrade the line.

There are also a lot of defensive playmakers, and I could see the Colts adding a few.

12 hours ago, twfish said:

With the draft only a few short weeks away how confident are you with Grigson picking this year? He had a remarkable draft last year with every player getting atleast a little playing time and hit very well with geathers, anderson, parry, and looking very hopeful with dorsett, smith, and Good. I feel like there's alot of talent in this draft (not in a position of need like olb though) and I beleive he will stick to his board just like he did last year. It seems like he and the FO are really focusing hard on the draft this year so I'm very excited about this draft and can see him pulling alot of quality players in. I really he doesn't miss badly like years past.

I feel there is a good chance Grigs and company do well.  There are so many apparently 'good' players in the last 1/2 of first and into the 3rd round that grade similar.  This absolutely will reward those that do extra homework on evaluation.  With ex head coaches Chudzinski and Philbin on board, there are extra expertise areas and voices in the evaluation room.  We all know not eveyone of those will pan out, so finding the 'gems' of the crop is paramount.  We seem to be performing the necessary due diligence.  Can't fault the effort.

While not overly strong, there is no reason Grigson can't come out of the first 3-4 rounds without good, solid, players. I said it in another thread, this is really a draft for Grigson to lose. Any which way he goes OL/DL/DB, in which ever order, I don't see how he could really screw up. Now to some, his picks might be unappealing (ex. taking Kelly at 18, which I'm not in favor of), but I wouldn't say it was wrong. 

45 minutes ago, BleedBlu8792 said:

While not overly strong, there is no reason Grigson can't come out of the first 3-4 rounds without good, solid, players. I said it in another thread, this is really a draft for Grigson to lose. Any which way he goes OL/DL/DB, in which ever order, I don't see how he could really screw up. Now to some, his picks might be unappealing (ex. taking Kelly at 18, which I'm not in favor of), but I wouldn't say it was wrong. 

I agree especially drafting where we are.  I would think we should find a couple of immediate starters in the first two rounds in our areas of immediate need.  Protecting and helping Andrew should be priority no.1.