Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

No worries, they have a plan

Lef

Not sure what it is though. But they have to, right?  That is there job. That is the reason Jim retained Pags and Grigs - to put the best football team on the field and win championships. 

It it is fun to speculate about signing high profile free agents.  However we all know, and history is replete with examples, of teams that spend a lot (and over pay) in free agency but don't win. Plucking a few value free agents to fill roles and drafting well every year seems to be the blue print for success. 

I therefore will try to have some faith that they have a plan. It may be that the plan will take another few years to come to fruition (due to recovering from past mistakes). But what else is a fan suppose to do but have faith?  Not jumping ship so might as well. 

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Drafting well is the key. Green Bay, while not always the NFC front runner, is always a true contender. They build their team through the draft. New England builds through the draft with a few dips into the FA pool here or there. 

Our current regime needs to show that they too can build through the draft and not through free agency. 

Also it has only been 1 day. Look at how much a lot of those guys signed for. I'm glad we didn't tie our selves down with those contracts. After Allen we don't have loads of money. If we can get a rg and cb we can go into the draft not having as many holes to fill. There's still a lot of guys available that can be contributors. And I hope Freeman still signs back with us.

I suspect the plan is to address the offensive line and pass rush via the draft this year. 

It's going to be a sensible process though. Sorry to say, it's probably going to take than one season to fill needs.   In the mean time, we're going to be paying the price for drafting miscues in recent years.

Grigson has got to do a better job of draft evaluation.

-Signed, Capt Obvious

Don't want to make a new thread but looks like something happened with Art Jones?

From twitter

"It's a what have you done for me lately type of business! Let's goo baby!!!  New levels!!! instagram.com/p/BCxf948HGp4/

pic is a quote saying you can't start the next chapter in your life if you keep re-reading the last one

1 minute ago, bababooey said:

Don't want to make a new thread but looks like something happened with Art Jones?

From twitter

"It's a what have you done for me lately type of business! Let's goo baby!!!  New levels!!! instagram.com/p/BCxf948HGp4/

pic is a quote saying you can't start the next chapter in your life if you keep re-reading the last one

I hope they restructure his deal. If we can lower his pay and make it more incentive based I'd love to have him back. Having him in rotation would nice. 

2 minutes ago, Wesk7 said:

I hope they restructure his deal. If we can lower his pay and make it more incentive based I'd love to have him back. Having him in rotation would nice. 

Yea just like victor Cruz did for the Giants. Would be nice considering he's made enough money for multiple lifetimes to do nothing

22 minutes ago, csmopar said:

yep. but when Luck's on a cart next year, being hauled off, i'll be right here to remind you, I called it

And just as likely, when Luck plays a complete season and competes for MVP/Come Back Player of the Year,

hope you are here to hear I told you so.... to you!   GO COLTS

19 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

You mean like tony romo?  Behind the best line in football?    It's football,   injuries happen 

A: Romo is much older

B: Romo has always been fragile

C: Standing pat and doing nothing to our OL pretty much assures an injury will happen.  Unlike Dallas where it had one bad play.

24 minutes ago, csmopar said:

yep. but when Luck's on a cart next year, being hauled off, i'll be right here to remind you, I called it

I know you have had some good posts in the past.  It sounds as if you are really frustrated.  It is, however the second day of FA.  We have our own FAs to sign too.  There is a limit on the cap...

I think that we all should be frustrated that the FAs signed in no way, shape or form deserve 85-90 million bucks.  

The salaries now need a cap like basketball with a HUGE luxury tax on those going over.....

The Colts will win the division this year..No doubt in my mind.

9 minutes ago, BrentMc11 said:

I know you have had some good posts in the past.  It sounds as if you are really frustrated.  It is, however the second day of FA.  We have our own FAs to sign too.  There is a limit on the cap...

I think that we all should be frustrated that the FAs signed in no way, shape or form deserve 85-90 million bucks.  

The salaries now need a cap like basketball with a HUGE luxury tax on those going over.....

I wish I could agree with your boss, because I usually do. But the fact that everyone is getting better in our division is starting to mess with my mind lol. The Colts better have a crazy good draft!  

16 minutes ago, csmopar said:

A: Romo is much older

B: Romo has always been fragile

C: Standing pat and doing nothing to our OL pretty much assures an injury will happen.  Unlike Dallas where it had one bad play.

One bad play?  Is that why he broke his collar bone twice last year?   

The point is,   injuries can happen no matter how good the oline is.

I'm quite sure they will be signing some oline help.   There are more guys out there than the 8+ million dollar a year guys.  Believe it or not,  free agency lasts more than 24 hours

14 minutes ago, BrentMc11 said:

You're right, i am frustrated. Maybe I do need to give it more time to develop.  But so far, we've done more to hurt the team than help 

37 minutes ago, bababooey said:

From twitter

Source: Colts DT Arthur Jones took a paycut from $4.5M to $2.5M for 2016. Can make the $2M back through per roster bonuses & incentives.

2 minutes ago, csmopar said:

You're right, i am frustrated. Maybe I do need to give it more time to develop.  But so far, we've done more to hurt the team than help 

So, resigning the best kicker in the NFL, freeing up cap space, making sure we have depth and letting a TE go who couldn't break away from a toddler holding him has hurt the team? Ha, okay. 

1 minute ago, lollygagger8 said:

I wish I could agree with your boss, because I usually do. But the fact that everyone is getting better in our division is starting to mess with my mind lol. The Colts better have a crazy good draft!  

That is no problem Lolly.  I am not going to say the Colts are this...they are that until way into Free agency and the draft.

I am impressed with some of the signings, but not the huge money deals.  That is 'stupid money' with overreaction on the other side:  Teams that are desperate.

Other than Mack, I would not have signed any of the top linemen.  I would not have paid Osweiler or Lamar Hill 'da money', and I certainly would not have paid Fleener. (OK...Allen too for that matter.)

I really do think a healthy Luck, a couple of FA signings and the draft will calm some of everyone's minds.....Except the haters.

Just remember this is one 'old guy's' opinion.  You do not win instantly in football on the first day of FA.  Sprinters do not always win.  Now marathon runners...HA HA!

9 minutes ago, csmopar said:

We have to make smart moves in keeping who is valuable and who is not.  I just told Lolly that you do not win the Lombardi on the first day of FA.  

And...I understand the frustration as well.

9 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

In what way? 

the biggest way? Re-signing a piece of fractured glass at TE.

Was Fleener worth keeping, debatable, but number 1 ability in football is availability. 

The re-signing of Allen to such a big contract, and it is big for a injury riddled TE with his numbers, is my biggest complaint, and really what has me so dang frustrated to begin with. And the re-signing/re-structure of Trent Cole

Just now, BrentMc11 said:

That is no problem Lolly.  I am not going to say the Colts are this...they are that until way into Free agency and the draft.

I am impressed with some of the signings, but not the huge money deals.  That is 'stupid money' with overreaction on the other side:  Teams that are desperate.

Other than Mack, I would not have signed any of the top linemen.  I would not have paid Osweiler or Lamar Hill 'da money', and I certainly would not have paid Fleener. (OK...Allen too for that matter.)

I really do think a healthy Luck, a couple of FA signings and the draft will calm some of everyone's minds.....Except the haters.

Just remember this is one 'old guy's' opinion.  You do not win instantly in football on the first day of FA.  Sprinters do not always win.  Now marathon runners...HA HA!

The Alex Boone contract looks ok. 4yr/$26.8M....for a versatile lineman who can play guard and tackle (something Colts apparently like, and we definitely need.) Especially when we paid Cherilus 5yr/$35M. 

I think this is one of the deals the Colts should've made for sure: 

5184.jpg

Raiders signed CB Sean Smith, formerly of the Chiefs, to a four-year, $40 million contract.

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports the deal includes $20 million guaranteed. After missing out on Janoris Jenkins, who ended up with the Giants, the Raiders turned their attention to Smith. In the end, they ended up with a more consistent corner at a much cheaper price. This is a great move for Oakland.

The truth of it is.......

We don't know if we've been sitting on the sidelines and not even making offers....

OR.....

If we have been making offers and simply getting outbid.

We have a plan -- and we don't know how it's going.....     I suspect there will be a FA press conference at some point that Grigson/Pagano will talk and share some insight....

With Smith gone this morning,  we're pretty much down to Casey Hayward as a possible FA CB2....     Now, do we have the money/interest,  or are we looking at someone else that none of here are paying attention to?

43 minutes ago, Old Colt said:

And just as likely, when Luck plays a complete season and competes for MVP/Come Back Player of the Year,

hope you are here to hear I told you so.... to you!   GO COLTS

Honestly, I hope that happens and I will gladly eat my crow.

5 minutes ago, csmopar said:

the biggest way? Re-signing a piece of fractured glass at TE.

Was Fleener worth keeping, debatable, but number 1 ability in football is availability. 

The re-signing of Allen to such a big contract, and it is big for a injury riddled TE with his numbers, is my biggest complaint, and really what has me so dang frustrated to begin with. And the re-signing/re-structure of Trent Cole

Do a bit of research on chuds offense.  Allen is perfect for it.  Re signing him in no way hurt the team.  

Just now, jvan1973 said:

Do a bit of research on chuds offense.  Allen is perfect for it.  Re signing him in no way hurt the team.  

If he gets hurt again and sits on the bench, yeah it hurts the team.  I've yet to see him stay healthy.

8 minutes ago, csmopar said:

If he gets hurt again and sits on the bench, yeah it hurts the team.  I've yet to see him stay healthy.

I guess you became a fan after 2012.

Injuries can happen to any player at any time.  It's football,  not basket weaving

18 minutes ago, lollygagger8 said:

The Alex Boone contract looks ok. 4yr/$26.8M....for a versatile lineman who can play guard and tackle (something Colts apparently like, and we definitely need.) Especially when we paid Cherilus 5yr/$35M. 

I think this is one of the deals the Colts should've made for sure: 

5184.jpg

Raiders signed CB Sean Smith, formerly of the Chiefs, to a four-year, $40 million contract.

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports the deal includes $20 million guaranteed. After missing out on Janoris Jenkins, who ended up with the Giants, the Raiders turned their attention to Smith. In the end, they ended up with a more consistent corner at a much cheaper price. This is a great move for Oakland.

Agree on Boone....for some reason I thought he was older.  Almost 9 million for Sean...IDK

2 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

Injuries can happen to any player at any time.  It's football,  not basket weaving

Nope.  Been a fan since they came to Indy, through the crappy years and if we continue to make huge mistakes like this one, we're gonna be back to the Jeff George days and worse.

3 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

Yes they can, but some players are more prone than others.  And those players can't help their teams from the bench

17 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

The truth of it is.......

We don't know if we've been sitting on the sidelines and not even making offers....

OR.....

If we have been making offers and simply getting outbid.

We have a plan -- and we don't know how it's going.....     I suspect there will be a FA press conference at some point that Grigson/Pagano will talk and share some insight....

With Smith gone this morning,  we're pretty much down to Casey Hayward as a possible FA CB2....     Now, do we have the money/interest,  or are we looking at someone else that none of here are paying attention to?

I am saying that you do not win football on the first day...you wait on the others who have not signed and the price comes down...I will say one negative thing...Colt Anderson should not be on the team just because his name is Colt... :)