Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Will Peyton Retire As A Colt or a Bronco?

LucasOilStadium

Just now, ProblChld32 said:

We don't know what will happen between now and then !

The press conference is in an hour.   It is taking place in denver.  His family is going to be in attendance.    He isn't being released,   he is retiring 

Irsay manages (on his own) to stay in Manning's craw.  He has said and done enough verbal damage via tweets and statements that would irk someone as astute as Peyton.  Nothing gets by that man and I'm sure he was privy to some of the things Irsay was spewing there for a while.

5 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

Saw from channel 13 that the Colts are putting something together for Peyton.  Sounds like he will get to "retire" from both teams.  

I think you're right..you can 'retire' from as any teams as you want...Denver doesnt care.

..and the hall-of-fame isnt like baseball...you don't have to pick a team to enter

On 3/7/2016 at 8:25 PM, southwest1 said:

No, what I said was the weather conditions were even for both QBs, Grossman fumbled a lot, Manning didn't. 

I always said that Manning's regular season success gave our team multiple opportunities to win our division & compete for more SB appearances. If you wanna claim Sanders was our savior fine, but our lack of defensive prowess fails squarely on Polian's shoulders not Peyton's. That's got nothing to do with being a Manning apologist. Just look at how many games Peyton won late in the 4th QTR of 2009. 

I also said the praise for a QB is based on what they do in the regular season to give a squad the best shot at a ring year after year too. Solid RB's are only as good as the best possible spot your QB puts you in games by manipulating LBs, DBs, & safeties. Speed & quickness only gets a team so far athletically speaking. Let's be real here. 

Besides, other than Lawrence Taylor & Terrell Davis in recent memory, you'd be hard pressed to find SB MVP winners that are not QBs on average. I think Ray Lewis won it in 2000 with the Ravens JPF. Don't blame the system or protocol, players select who they think is most worthy in their eyes. 

I don't believe the players have a vote in who win the MVP then or now.  Now I believe it is a combination of fan votes via social media and a panel of 16 journalists who choose the MVP.  Do you have information that disputes that which I am not aware of at this time? I welcome being corrected if I have that wrong.  

In general, Manning had a sub-par regular season for him, followed by a sub-par post season for a Super Bowl QB (3 TD's, 7 INT's).  Manning hasn't had a reputation for a poor big game performer for no reason.  Whether it was the media or it was fans or it was players as you state, it wasn't based on who was the biggest factor in winning that game.  We'll never have proof of any alternative, but compared to performance by some others, it seemed unfair at the time and just as much so today to many people.  But as a season long team MVP, no doubt Manning was always that.  He just rarely shined in the playoffs.  I think he actually played better in the loss to the Saints, but I haven't looked up the stats.  He didn't have Bob Sanders or our tandem RB's playing the combined game of their lives for that game though.  I do remember even at the game at the time and afterwards the media was talking about perhaps seeing (or wishing they'd seen) the first shared MVP between the RB's.  

But it is all opinion, which is what makes it fun to discuss.  Indy rocked under Manning and if Polian had consistently given him a couple of D Stars like Bob Sanders, Manning likely would have won 4 Super Bowls including several clearly deserved game MVP's he was robbed of by the bad D in the playoffs.  But the universe fixed all that by giving him his greatest defense at his weakest point to see him home to a win one last time.  So all is fair in the universe of Football.  

8 minutes ago, JPFolks said:

I don't believe the players have a vote in who win the MVP then or now.  Now I believe it is a combination of fan votes via social media and a panel of 16 journalists who choose the MVP.  Do you have information that disputes that which I am not aware of at this time? I welcome being corrected if I have that wrong.  

In general, Manning had a sub-par regular season for him, followed by a sub-par post season for a Super Bowl QB (3 TD's, 7 INT's).  Manning hasn't had a reputation for a poor big game performer for no reason.  Whether it was the media or it was fans or it was players as you state, it wasn't based on who was the biggest factor in winning that game.  We'll never have proof of any alternative, but compared to performance by some others, it seemed unfair at the time and just as much so today to many people.  But as a season long team MVP, no doubt Manning was always that.  He just rarely shined in the playoffs.  I think he actually played better in the loss to the Saints, but I haven't looked up the stats.  He didn't have Bob Sanders or our tandem RB's playing the combined game of their lives for that game though.  I do remember even at the game at the time and afterwards the media was talking about perhaps seeing (or wishing they'd seen) the first shared MVP between the RB's.  

But it is all opinion, which is what makes it fun to discuss.  Indy rocked under Manning and if Polian had consistently given him a couple of D Stars like Bob Sanders, Manning likely would have won 4 Super Bowls including several clearly deserved game MVP's he was robbed of by the bad D in the playoffs.  But the universe fixed all that by giving him his greatest defense at his weakest point to see him home to a win one last time.  So all is fair in the universe of Football.  

Where are you getting your numbers? As I recall he had 2 TDs and only 1 INT this post season.

4 hours ago, JPFolks said:

The NFL MVP is voted on the results of 50 sportswriters and broadcasters. No where does it say that the fans vote count as anything.

4 hours ago, No 1 Manning Fan said:

Where are you getting your numbers? As I recall he had 2 TDs and only 1 INT this post season.

You're joining the conversation without the context of that response.  We were discussing the game MVP that Manning won against the Bears.  A suggestion was made during the back and forth that without Manning they wouldn't have gotten there and I pointed out his entire postseason was bad that year with 3TD passes and 7INTs during the 4 games of the playoffs and his regular season was also well below his norm as we had a low seed unlike most years (where sadly we had many home game defeats after getting a bye...).   I think Bob Sanders and our 2 RB's were better than Manning in that game but he got the MVP more in recognition of his, up to that point, career greatness rather than it being about how well he played in that one game.  It was also said that the MVP just goes to the QB usually and that's the way it is.. certainly true but doesn't mean, for the sake of this discussion, that it was fare.  

It's just a discussion... you know like the reason we have this board, to share and discuss different views.  I supplied stats to refute various arguments made including that the players of the game voted Manning the MVP.  It's possible back then the rules were different, I don't know, but the media and now fans choose the MVP, not the players. 

36 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

The NFL MVP is voted on the results of 50 sportswriters and broadcasters. No where does it say that the fans vote count as anything.

No where does it say THIS: 

" The Super Bowl Most Valuable Player Award, or Super Bowl MVP, is presented annually to the most valuable player of the Super Bowl, the National Football League's (NFL) championship game. The winner is chosen by a fan vote during the game and by a panel of 16 football writers and broadcasters who vote after the game. The media panel's ballots count for 80 percent of the vote tally, while the viewers' ballots make up the other 20 percent.[1] The game's viewing audience can vote on the Internet or by using cellular phones;[1] Super Bowl XXXV, held in 2001, was the first Super Bowl where fan voting was allowed.[2] "

I think you're wrong.  Here's the link to the page I got that text from: 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_Bowl_Most_Valuable_Player_Award

You guys sure like arguing with me no matter how many times I prove you wrong, or supply facts to support my opinions rather than just random beliefs like some seem to do.  It's possible that 50 media people at some point decided, but the above certainly suggests otherwise.  If Wikipedia is 100% wrong, then I guess you have me, though you are already proven wrong about your claim above. There is clearly a place where it says they do. 

2 minutes ago, JPFolks said:

No where does it say THIS: 

" The Super Bowl Most Valuable Player Award, or Super Bowl MVP, is presented annually to the most valuable player of the Super Bowl, the National Football League's (NFL) championship game. The winner is chosen by a fan vote during the game and by a panel of 16 football writers and broadcasters who vote after the game. The media panel's ballots count for 80 percent of the vote tally, while the viewers' ballots make up the other 20 percent.[1] The game's viewing audience can vote on the Internet or by using cellular phones;[1] Super Bowl XXXV, held in 2001, was the first Super Bowl where fan voting was allowed.[2] "

I think you're wrong.  Here's the link to the page I got that text from: 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_Bowl_Most_Valuable_Player_Award

You guys sure like arguing with me no matter how many times I prove you wrong, or supply facts to support my opinions rather than just random beliefs like some seem to do.  It's possible that 50 media people at some point decided, but the above certainly suggests otherwise.  If Wikipedia is 100% wrong, then I guess you have me, though you are already proven wrong about your claim above. There is clearly a place where it says they do. 

You are so quick to prove someone wrong or to act like you are never wrong. I wish I was that perfect. By the way, I was referring to the league MVP. If I was mistaken accept my deepest apology Mr. Perfect.

17 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

You are so quick to prove someone wrong or to act like you are never wrong. I wish I was that perfect. By the way, I was referring to the league MVP. If I was mistaken accept my deepest apology Mr. Perfect.

I get tired of people stopping just short of calling me a liar for just about anything I say... so perhaps you guys won't call me out constantly... You flatly stated "NOWHERE..." does it state what I said.. that is equal to calling me a liar.. so yes, I am happy to PROVE you wrong since you enjoy trying to do the same without any facts on your side. 

1 minute ago, JPFolks said:

I get tired of people stopping just short of calling me a liar for just about anything I say... so perhaps you guys won't call me out constantly... You flatly stated "NOWHERE..." does it state what I said.. that is equal to calling me a liar.. so yes, I am happy to PROVE you wrong since you enjoy trying to do the same without any facts on your side. 

This is a forum. If you want to get your panties all in a bunch that's on you. No one called you a liar. That explains whey your attitude is what it is. No one can dispute, have a different opinion or god forbid, think differently that you. Now you feel the need to use capital letters like it is a big deal. I explained where the mistake was but yet that wasn't good enough for you. You are who you are.

5 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

This is a forum. If you want to get your panties all in a bunch that's on you. No one called you a liar. That explains whey your attitude is what it is. No one can dispute, have a different opinion or god forbid, think differently that you. Now you feel the need to use capital letters like it is a big deal. I explained where the mistake was but yet that wasn't good enough for you. You are who you are.

Making all kinds of friends tonight, aren't you?

Did you come to the board tonight looking to fight with everyone? If so then you are batting a thousand. 

4 minutes ago, BlueShoe said:

Making all kinds of friends tonight, aren't you?

Did you come to the board tonight looking to fight with everyone? If so then you are batting a thousand. 

I am sorry you are so sensitive. I will keep that in mind.

3 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

I am sorry you are so sensitive. I will keep that in mind.

After disputing people without facts on your side and then being proven wrong, YOU (yes, in capitals) are the one who is whining.  Then you accuse others of being sensitive.  It's your MO and gets old, though proving you wrong never does.  

19 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

You are who you are.

Correct... I am who I am.. someone who is correct and states clearly when I don't know if have facts, as well as making it clear when I have an opinion rather than a fact.  Try it out sometime. 

1 minute ago, JPFolks said:

After disputing people without facts on your side and then being proven wrong, YOU (yes, in capitals) are the one who is whining.  Then you accuse others of being sensitive.  It's your MO and gets old, though proving you wrong never does.  

I am so proud for you. It must be so pleasant never to be wrong. Is walking on water hard?