Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Cam Newton

oldunclemark

14 hours ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

Daunte Culpepper was 6'4" and 264 pounds. Was a running and passing QB.  Made 3 probowls in first 5 years starting in Minnesota.  Then -

"Culpepper was hurt on the final play of the first quarter when Panthers cornerback Chris Gamble hit him low at the end of an 18-yard run for a first down."

He tore the ACL, MCL, and PCL. He was never the same again, and even was a factor in Nick Saban going back to college coaching (along with his wife). He was as big or bigger than Cam.  Cam getting hurt is not out of the question.

True, Culpepper was a big guy but his body composition was more like JaMarcus Russell's than Cam's. Cam is truly built like a TE, but don't get me wrong, and you're right, it only takes that one hit. Cam at least knows how to get somewhat low when absorbing a hit. He's rarely taken a "bad" hit. He's only averaging ~8 carries a game, and I'd say maybe 65% of those are designed. He's grown A LOT this year as a passer, so I'm sure the team will start chipping away at those carries and make him play more from the pocket.

However, he's still so deadly as a runner and he really makes the read option part of their playbook go so it would be hard for me to take his running game completely away.

21 hours ago, NFLfan said:

You're bringing back bad memories...;) I appreciate your reply as usual but as we all know, traditional pocket quarterbacks also get injured. Look at how many quarterbacks were injured and missed significant time this year. How many of them were "running quarterbacks"? Of the injured QBs that I can remember  (Roethlisberger,  Hoyer, Flacco, Dalton,  Luck, Mariota, Bradford, Romo, more), only Mariota may be considered a "running" quarterback. 

In 5 years, Newton has not missed significant time. I believe he missed time last year only after sustaining injuries in a car accident, not on the football field. I may be wrong. So, my point to the other poster was what makes him believe that Newton is more susceptible to injury than, say, Andy Dalton or Andrew Luck when he has not yet shown any signs  that he is prone to injury while playing football. 

To the bolded, I don't know if that is true. I can think of one, Donovan McNabb, who neither wore down quickly nor suffered a catastrophic injury. 

Wasn't McNabb essentially washed up in his early 30's?  Once his legs went he was done.  Maybe there was more to it, but he seemed to decline quickly.

22 hours ago, Live and let live said:

I recall another Super Bowl winning QB. Jim McMahon..... who also fit that mode.... How about Favre? Going back further, how about Kenny Stabler?

were all those players like that in college?  I can remember McMahon and he was more flashy than arrogant. in my opinion favre was never that arrogant, at least to the point that it annoyed me.

16 minutes ago, BOTT said:

Wasn't McNabb essentially washed up in his early 30's?  Once his legs went he was done.  Maybe there was more to it, but he seemed to decline quickly.

I don't think so.

My point remains that many pocket QBs also get injured.  Why only point out only the so-called running QB?

I just took a quick look at the QBs that were drafted the same year as McNabb. When was the last time you heard any of these names? McNabb is the only one who had a decent career.

Tim Couch (#1)

Akili Smith (#3)

Culpepper (#11)

Cade McNown (#12)

Shaun King (#50)

Brock Huard (#92)

Joe Germaine (#101)

Aaron Brooks (#131)

Kevin Daft (#151)

(And at least one in the 7th round)

54 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

I don't think so.

My point remains that many pocket QBs also get injured.  Why only point out only the so-called running QB?

I just took a quick look at the QBs that were drafted the same year as McNabb. When was the last time you heard any of these names? McNabb is the only one who had a decent career.

Tim Couch (#1)

Akili Smith (#3)

Culpepper (#11)

Cade McNown (#12)

Shaun King (#50)

Brock Huard (#92)

Joe Germaine (#101)

Aaron Brooks (#131)

Kevin Daft (#151)

I think continued scramblers are marked men in the League and might have to think intentionally targeted.Hope its not the case , but does make risk of bad injury greater. That's  not to say pocket passers don't get hurt. But look at numbers in % of 1 against the other. I have no idea what they are ,would be interesting to know.

1 hour ago, NFLfan said:

I don't think so.

Tim Couch (#1)

Akili Smith (#3)

Culpepper (#11)

Cade McNown (#12)

Shaun King (#50)

Brock Huard (#92)

Joe Germaine (#101)

Aaron Brooks (#131)

Kevin Daft (#151)

I think so.

what do all those QBs have to do with anything? They all stink.  I wasn't ripping McNabb, just that he was done while other top quarterbacks that age are still going strong.

People are pointing out running quarterbacks because those hits take a toll on your body.  Steve Young had how many concussions?  Mike Vick constantly injured.  Culpepper and Rg3 hurt early in their careers.  On top of that, Cam isn't the type of runner that avoids contact and takes more hits than any other QB in the league. The guy is a stud, but it's only practical to have concerns about his health long term.

20 minutes ago, BOTT said:

I think so.

what do all those QBs have to do with anything? They all stink.  I wasn't ripping McNabb, just that he was done while other top quarterbacks that age are still going strong.

People are pointing out running quarterbacks because those hits take a toll on your body.  Steve Young had how many concussions?  Mike Vick constantly injured.  Culpepper and Rg3 hurt early in their careers.  On top of that, Cam isn't the type of runner that avoids contact and takes more hits than any other QB in the league. The guy is a stud, but it's only practical to have concerns about his health long term.

Okay, I do get what Jay Kirk, ColtsBlueFL, and you are saying. Running increases a quarterback's chances of getting hurt.  I don't watch many Panthers games. However, in 5 years he has not been hurt on the field. Are you saying it is just a matter of time? Let's see what happens.

Did you see how many pocket passers were injured this year. If they were runners, I suspect their injuries would be attributed to their being running QBs. 

1 hour ago, NFLfan said:

Okay, I do get what Jay Kirk, ColtsBlueFL, and you are saying. Running increases a quarterback's chances of getting hurt.  I don't watch many Panthers games. However, in 5 years he has not been hurt on the field. Are you saying it is just a matter of time? Let's see what happens.

Did you see how many pocket passers were injured this year. If they were runners, I suspect their injuries would be attributed to their being running QBs. 

I don't think hes as prone as some others to run , although he is capable at anytime.

1 hour ago, NFLfan said:

Lol if you don't have protection you better be able to run. Case in point A. L.

1 hour ago, NFLfan said:

When teams go read option, one of the ways teams try to defend it is crash the DE down on the RB, whether he gets the ball or not.  This will tend to force the QB to hold the ball more. Then the defense will scrape the LB around the end and (hopefully) tackle the running QB.  Here is a thing I been hearing more and more.  Have the backside DE crash down on the QB.  Whether he hands off or not.  Like on Russell Wilson below-

iT6VQrMOh9v9U.gif

Do this a few times to an opposing QB, and O coordinators will take notice.  I've even heard Pat Kirwin mention that may be some of what may happen to Cam Newton.  You give a rush OLB or DE a clear running shot on the QB.  Forget who has the ball, punish the QB. Yes, you might get gashed by the RB, but you exact a toll on their QB. It's legal, as long as you can get to the QB while in 'run posture'.

D coordinators have to do something like the 2 options above and similar.  Because if they don't , you basically have 11 on 11, vs the typical 11 on D vs 10 on O.  If an offense runs read/option right, they actually flip the numbers, and have 11 on O vs 10 on D if that backside rush guy is frozen in no mans land, neither attacking the RB nor attacking the QB but stopping in the middle to see who gets/keeps it.  Here is the same play against the Colts / Robert Mathis who does not get in as quickly nor hits their QB, and they rip off a big run anyway-

iXRwjz7RWOieV.gif

Which play  would you rather see your D execute time after time.  ;)

22 hours ago, NFLfan said:

It's not about having one injury that puts him out.  It's about the wear and tear that eventually may catch up to him. It doesn't matter if your are a pocket guy or not, it just the amount of hits you take. The Steelers are suspected of firing Arians because the number of hits Big Ben was taking in his system.

7 minutes ago, BOTT said:

It's not about having one injury that puts him out.  It's about the wear and tear that eventually may catch up to him. It doesn't matter if your are a pocket guy or not, it just the amount of hits you take. The Steelers are suspected of firing Arians because the number of hits Big Ben was taking in his system.

I agree. IMO that is what got Andrew injured more than anything is all the hits he took his first 3 seasons then even more to start the season at Buffalo and vs NY. It catches up to everyone as they age and all it takes is one wrong big hit like Andrew took against Denver to really be a disaster at that point. I really hope we Draft a few O.Lineman in the Draft to just so we can have depth even if the players are potentially only Good not Great. We can always sub players with depth. O.Line and a young dominant Pass Rusher is what I want.

Many ppl hating on cam surprisingly. If he likes to talk oh well many players do..he likes to dance oh well many players do..he runs too reckless for a qb oh well other do too just not s big as him to take the hit...damn let the man play football and have his moment win or lose its not everyday you make it to a Super Bowl..and why even compare Andrew and cam who cares We have Luck and they have Cam they're both good one just made it farther this year  now stop hating and enjoy the damn upcoming super bowl