Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Cut 'em or Keep 'em

SkyBane

There's been a lot of discussion on this recently so why not make a thread about it. I'll list players on our roster and what we save on the cap by cutting them, you guys decide whether to cut 'em or keep 'em.

Andre Johnson- $5 million

Trent Cole- $6.1 million

D'Qwell Jackson- $5.25 million

Arthur Jones- $2.3 million

Robert Mathis- $5 million

Kendall Langford- $3.5 million

Erik Walden- $4 million

Bjoern Werner- $1.48 million

Nate Irving- $2 million

Projected Salary cap- $154,997,504

Current cap room before cuts or other signings- $21,200,110

If I missed someone you're curious about, I'll add them to the list at request.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Andre Johnson- $5 million - I'd cut him

Trent Cole- $6.1 million - I'd probably cut him.  I don't think he was as bad as made out to be, but he wasn't really "good" either.

D'Qwell Jackson- $5.25 million - keep

Arthur Jones- $2.3 million - keep

Robert Mathis- $5 million - keep

Kendall Langford- $3.5 million - this can't seriously be in question, can it?

Erik Walden- $4 million - keep

Bjoern Werner- $1.48 million - keep...I'd like to see him have one year under the new DC and LB coach.  The DC was Baltimore's LB coach who worked with Paul Kruger, who has a very similar skill set.

Nate Irving- $2 million - keep

4 minutes ago, Jason_S said:

More for completeness. He would be one of the larger savings to cut. I wouldn't cut him, but I'm curious if others would at those savings.

Cutting Johnson and Cole, you would save $11.1 million, bringing your free cap space to $32.3 million. This is your money to re sign free agents, get new ones, extend Luck, and sign draft picks with.

4 minutes ago, SkyBane said:

More for completeness. He would be one of the larger savings to cut. I wouldn't cut him, but I'm curious if others would at those savings.

Cutting Johnson and Cole, you would save $11.1 million, bringing your free cap space to $32.3 million. This is your money to re sign free agents, get new ones, extend Luck, and sign draft picks with.

gotcha.  Just for the record though, anyone who suggests we should cut Langford should have their posting privileges revoked for at least a week. :)

24 minutes ago, SkyBane said:

There's been a lot of discussion on this recently so why not make a thread about it. I'll list players on our roster and what we save on the cap by cutting them, you guys decide whether to cut 'em or keep 'em.

Andre Johnson- $5 million-CUT

Trent Cole- $6.1 million CUT

D'Qwell Jackson- $5.25 million CUT

Arthur Jones- $2.3 million CUT

Robert Mathis- $5 million KEEP

Kendall Langford- $3.5 million KEEP KEEP KEEP

Erik Walden- $4 million KEEP

Bjoern Werner- $1.48 million CUT CUT CUT CUR, STUFF HIS OLD CONTRACT INTO A CANNON AND SHOOT IT OUT OF HERE

Nate Irving- $2 million- UNDECIDED

Projected Salary cap- $154,997,504

Current cap room before cuts or other signings- $21,200,110

If I missed someone you're curious about, I'll add them to the list at request.

Just now, SkyBane said:

Read above, completeness and all that.

I saw it, just adding in my thoughts.

If we're including Langford for completeness, we might as well include Vontae Davis. Cutting him would save a bunch of money, too. I'm just saying, I don't think Langford is a candidate to be cut. He was one of the best players on defense.

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I would keep Langford and Jackson. Not sure why either of those players should be questioned?

Then make your list. csmopar would cut Jackson. It's a game to play GM, nothing beyond that.

2 minutes ago, Superman said:

I saw it, just adding in my thoughts.

If we're including Langford for completeness, we might as well include Vontae Davis. Cutting him would save a bunch of money, too. I'm just saying, I don't think Langford is a candidate to be cut. He was one of the best players on defense.

Per Request

Vontae Davis- $5.875 million

4 minutes ago, SkyBane said:

Then make your list. csmopar would cut Jackson. It's a game to play GM, nothing beyond that.

Per Request

Vontae Davis- $5.875 million

Jackson was 2nd in the league in tackles and is a Good player, he even had the key INT return for a TD against Atlanta that pretty much won that game. Cant see the reasoning in cutting him. Same for Langford who led our teams in sacks. Same for Vontae, Vontae is our only Great Corner.

Just now, Vinatieri4 said:

No way we * Vontae Davis, not only cutting a top 10 corner in the NFL would be a terrible move, but who else are we going to play?? LOL

Then don't cut him. You're in the chair, who do you cut, who do you keep?

Okay, I see a few people are getting caught up in the shock value and missing the point a bit. This is a game. I am stating no opinions whatsoever in the OP. You, as the player, get to go down the list and decide which of these players to cut, and which to keep. I picked the ones that I thought it would be asked for on this board, but am willing to add dudes on request. Examples of how to play:

36 minutes ago, Jason_S said:

Trent Cole- $6.1 million - I'd probably cut him.  I don't think he was as bad as made out to be, but he wasn't really "good" either.

Bjoern Werner- $1.48 million - keep...I'd like to see him have one year under the new DC and LB coach.  The DC was Baltimore's LB coach who worked with Paul Kruger, who has a very similar skill set.

23 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Andre Johnson- $5 million - Love him, but sorry he's gotta go

Trent Cole- $6.1 million - Cut

D'Qwell Jackson- $5.25 million - Keep. Just don't drop him in coverage. 

Arthur Jones- $2.3 million - Keep. 

Robert Mathis- $5 million  Keep. 

Kendall Langford- $3.5 million  KEEP. 

Erik Walden- $4 million Keep. I don't think we could find better for price. 

Nate Irving- $2 million - Keep. If he gets hurt again this year, it's probably time to pull the plug. 

Bjoern Werner- $1.48 million........

CZnFfcQXEAU2VZZ.jpg

4 minutes ago, lollygagger8 said:

Nate Irving- $2 million - Keep. If he gets hurt again this year, it's probably time to pull the plug. 

CZnFfcQXEAU2VZZ.jpg

Is that a cut or a keep on Werner? lol.

7 minutes ago, lollygagger8 said:

CZnFfcQXEAU2VZZ.jpg

Glad you posted this because that is my exact list, saves me a lot of typing haha Yes I would cut Andre and Cole and keep the rest! Werner is cheap anyway so who cares right.

Just now, SkyBane said:

Whoops, missed that one. Error on my part.

Not really an error. Just a different way to handle the release. I'm pretty sure that if the Colts do release Jones, they'll designate him as a post-June 1 release, to save more on the 2016 cap.

Just now, Superman said:

Not really an error. Just a different way to handle the release. I'm pretty sure that if the Colts do release Jones, they'll designate him as a post-June 1 release, to save more on the 2016 cap.

Me too, I just thought I checked all the post June 1 numbers. Missed him somehow. Curse the time limit on editing.

1 hour ago, Jason_S said:

I'm glad we shared the same idea so I don't have to rewrite it haha

32 minutes ago, Dustin said:

Mathis, Langford, and Irving are the only 3 there I would keep, but it'd be dependent on who we sign in FA. 

considering you would create 26.33 million in extra cap space, resulting in a near $50 million to spend, I'd say the free agent basket could get pretty full.

7 minutes ago, SkyBane said:

considering you would create 26.33 million in extra cap space, resulting in a near $50 million to spend, I'd say the free agent basket could get pretty full.

Honestly, looking at it, we have in house solutions to all of those cuts anyway. 

Irving could replace D'Qwell, you could slide Sio Moore over to SAM to replace Walden, we already have Kerr to replace Jones. 

There's probably no drop-off. 

9 minutes ago, Dustin said:

Honestly, looking at it, we have in house solutions to all of those cuts anyway. 

Irving could replace D'Qwell, you could slide Sio Moore over to SAM to replace Walden, we already have Kerr to replace Jones. 

There's probably no drop-off. 

Sio Moore is not a SAM.  

8 minutes ago, OffensivelyPC said:

Sio Moore is not a SAM.  

He has the skillset. He's a much better athlete than Walden. It's not like we're talking about turning a tight-end into a defensive-end here. It's not as if the defensive scheme is locked into having a certain position due a certain thing all of the time. 

To be brutally honest here & looking at it from a standpoint of revamping status, Langford hits the mark of retention. Jones can be retained by restructure, but I'm leary of injury. If we're going to build heavily by draft, (and that's what I'd like to see), it means slicing & dicing on a much higher plain IMO. It's hard to let go of what you have based upon mediocrity. I get that. It's just not gonna lead to where you want to be - formidable. 

This may be too wide of a sweep for most, but I'd keep Langford & seriously consider dropping the rest. Including, Robert. A very hard pill to swallow, I know. Starting over means starting over. My statement of get what you can and keep what you will is an ignition point of doing that very thing.

9 minutes ago, ColtRider said:

To be brutally honest here & looking at it from a standpoint of revamping status, Langford hits the mark of retention. Jones can be retained by restructure, but I'm leary of injury. If we're going to build heavily by draft, (and that's what I'd like to see), it means slicing & dicing on a much higher plain IMO. It's hard to let go of what you have based upon mediocrity. I get that. It's just not gonna lead to where you want to be - formidable. 

This may be too wide of a sweep for most, but I'd keep Langford & seriously consider dropping the rest. Including, Robert. A very hard pill to swallow, I know. Starting over means starting over. My statement of get what you can and keep what you will is an ignition point of doing that very thing.

You, fine sir, have an open salary cap of $54.53 million. Enjoy free agent shopping.

43 minutes ago, Dustin said:

He has the skillset. He's a much better athlete than Walden. It's not like we're talking about turning a tight end into a defensive end here. It's not as if the defensive scheme is locked into having a certain position due a certain thing all of the time. 

He has more utility as an ILB.  He's probably the best cover guy that we have on the roster - talent wise, anyway.  Making the switch over to Sam wouldn't be making the best use of his strengths, IMO.  At $4 million, I think we'd be better served to just keep them both.  It's inexpensive and Walden has more than earned it.

Just now, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I just cant see the reasoning behind getting rid of Jackson. Is it his age? He is a great tackler and all over the field. Please enlighten me.

Age and cost. You drop a 33 year old ILB who is questionable in coverage, and gain $5.25 million this year to shop for other players. That's hefty chunk of change, and there are people who value that cap space over the player.