Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Report: Texans expected to release Arian Foster

corgi

According to Aaron Wilson of the Houston Chronicle. It's not all that surprising when you look at his history with injuries. It's weird to think the Texans could be without Johnson and Foster, but I guess Hopkins and Watt are the faces of that franchise now. It will be interesting to see who picks him up when he's released.

I'd let him go too. The guy stays injured, but he's too good to not think somebody will pick him up of course.  Heck with us possibly switching to zone it wouldn't surprise me if we do in some capacity.  Probably won't because we already have one old running back on the roster.

15 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Please Grigson...DO NOT even think about it, DO NOT sign him

If we're really going to a more zone blocking scheme, there's not to many guys you'd want above him.  I get his injury history, but his next contract will likely be primarily incentive based - I'd be surprised if it weren't.  If the guaranteed money isn't that bad (say he gets a Darren McFadden contract), I'd absolutely pick him up.  

I think he got the most carries in the NFL over a 3 year span, so there's a lot of wear and tear on his body.  And he couldn't get rid of those soft tissue injuries, which can nag you and linger for a long time.

At 29, I think he still has a lot left in the tank, but I wouldn't really make him a priority due to his injury history.

28 minutes ago, OffensivelyPC said:

If we're really going to a more zone blocking scheme, there's not to many guys you'd want above him.  I get his injury history, but his next contract will likely be primarily incentive based - I'd be surprised if it weren't.  If the guaranteed money isn't that bad (say he gets a Darren McFadden contract), I'd absolutely pick him up.  

30 yrs old, injury prone, he's another bradshaw at this point.  Waste of space, would rather give a rookie a chance along side Boom/Gore than sign him

16 minutes ago, csmopar said:

30 yrs old, injury prone, he's another bradshaw at this point.  Waste of space, would rather give a rookie a chance along side Boom/Gore than sign him

Fair enough.  I would still think about drafting a rookie, whether we signed him or not.  But, generally speaking, if we're not going to use a 3rd or higher on an RB (which I would say we should not use a 3rd or higher), you're going to need talent above that rookie until he can work himself into any sort of role.  To me, I'd rather have Gore/Foster/Rookie than Gore/Boom/Rookie.  But that's jsut me.  I think Boom is very meh.  Just a guy.

3 minutes ago, OffensivelyPC said:

Fair enough.  I would still think about drafting a rookie, whether we signed him or not.  But, generally speaking, if we're not going to use a 3rd or higher on an RB (which I would say we should not use a 3rd or higher), you're going to need talent above that rookie until he can work himself into any sort of role.  To me, I'd rather have Gore/Foster/Rookie than Gore/Boom/Rookie.  But that's jsut me.  I think Boom is very meh.  Just a guy.

I get what you're saying and agree to a point.  The problem is the same with Bradshaw, if Foster only last 2-3 games, whats the point?  He's provided you little return.  I'd rather a rookie get some experience and carries over a guy who's physically washed up at this point.

12 minutes ago, OffensivelyPC said:

I'm not cool with just rookies backing up Gore as evidenced by Robinson. I'm not ok with Arian Foster either. Ivory, Miller, and Bradshaw (injured yes but not as significant as Foster's most recent injury) would all be suitable FA's to get in addition to a late round rookie.

13 minutes ago, csmopar said:

I get what you're saying and agree to a point.  The problem is the same with Bradshaw, if Foster only last 2-3 games, whats the point?  He's provided you little return.  I'd rather a rookie get some experience and carries over a guy who's physically washed up at this point.

You give him (the rookie) carries.  I'm not saying you give Gore and Foster/Boom all the carries.  You work the rookie in when you can where he's situationally at his best, and slowly over time give him more looks and get him in more sets.  The hope would be that by the time either both Gore and Foster miss time - and they will - the rookie is ready to go and you bring in Josh Robinson (I think we still have him?) or Boom in as support if necessary.  By the time the following year rolls around and Gore's contract is up, we've got a 2nd year guy who will be the lead back - hopefully a workhorse guy, but at least a strong RBBC guy.  Maybe we still have Foster, maybe we draft another RB, or pick up a different FA. 

12 minutes ago, bababooey said:

I'm not cool with just rookies backing up Gore as evidenced by Robinson. I'm not ok with Arian Foster either. Ivory, Miller, and Bradshaw (injured yes but not as significant as Foster's most recent injury) would all be suitable FA's to get in addition to a late round rookie.

I wouldn't mind at all bringing in Chris Ivory or even Alfred Morris if he's not re-signed in Washington.  His numbers aren't eye popping and show a downward trend from previous years, but Bill Callahan's mixture of gap blocking and power scheme into their already established zone scheme can explain that.  It really depends on how much power blocking the colts retain.  If its going to be a near even mixture of power and zone concepts, probably Chris Ivory is your guy.  If it's going to shift to heavier zone concepts, I'd go Morris (or even foster).  

8.925 M cap hit next year with 6.625 being freed up if they release him.  

I would say they likely will.  They can get much better (or at the very least more able to stay on the field) for much less money.

Someone will pick him up though for a lot less money.  He's still pretty good when he is on the field.  

On 1/14/2016 at 10:24 AM, buck_hunter21 said:

It seems like ever since that tearful press conference after he signed his big money deal the guy could not stay on the field. When he was healthy the guy would wear out D's. 

I'm by no means a nutritionist, but one would think that maybe his vegan lifestyle was effecting his body more than he thought.

On 1/14/2016 at 10:26 AM, Pagano's Realtor said:

Didn't the dude just tear his Achilles? He was a great player once, but I doubt he will even be a shade of what he once was. Also, he was the first athlete to try and sell stock in himself using Fantex but that never panned out due to injury.

If the Colts pick him up, I wouldn't mind investing in him. I highly doubt it though since we already have another old back. 

Id have several concerns about signing A Foster because he is exiting his prime.  Hopefully Grigson signs a reliable back void of injuries with more tread (younger).

I've seen numerous Lamar Miller suggestions on this board and I've got to say I'd like this.  Another back I hope Grigson considers is Knile Davis.

On 1/14/2016 at 10:56 AM, bababooey said:

Ivory was a great running back with the Saints. 

In the 2010 season, we lost all 4 of our running backs on roster. Come midway in the season, the Saints signed an old Julius Jones out of retirement after Ivory was injured. He was a better back than Reggie Bush, and I often have thought that playoff loss to Seattle could have been different if we had Ivory and not Bush, since Ivory pretty much carried our running game entirely on his shoulders that year, his injury was a major loss for the playoffs. 

I was happy for him that he had a 1,000 yard rushing year. I wish the Saints would have chose him over Darren Sproles come 2013. Most Saints fans thought I was insane, but Sproles had his chance in 2012 and 2013 to step up and become our premier back, and he never could do it, but Ivory was our main back in 2010. I wish he was still wearing black and gold. 

If he becomes a free agent, I'd like to see the Colts get him, since he can be a useful RB that pounds through for yardage.