Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

ILB: Jerrell Freeman or Danny Trevathan

This offseason. Who do you guys prefer between these two options? Re-signing Freeman, or signing Danny Trevathan? I think Trevathan is better is coverage, but Freeman was really good this year, and the contracts should be pretty similar. So who you got? My pick is Trevathan.

41 minutes ago, COLTS449 said:

This offseason. Who do you guys prefer between these two options? Re-signing Freeman, or signing Danny Trevathan? I think Trevathan is better is coverage, but Freeman was really good this year, and the contracts should be pretty similar. So who you got? My pick is Trevathan.

How about both?

4 minutes ago, ztboiler said:

How about both?

Cut DQ? Wouldn't be a bad idea. We could just give Freeman the money DQ's getting. So we wouldn't be losing anything. Or I wouldn't even mind signing Trevathan and cutting DQ, using that money to sign other free agents, and starting Sio next to Trevathan. Or we'd have Irving if Moore wasn't playing well. But I think Moore would thrive if given the opportunity to start every week.

FWIW, PFF has an elite overall grade on Freeman (90.6/100) for the 2015 season.  Their elite category is a grade of 90-100.  Freeman is ranked #6 overall, and #2 overall in run defense (behind only Luke Kuechly).

Huge difference between Freeman an DQ in run defense per PFF grades.

Kuechly: 98.4/100 (#1)

Freeman: 97.9/100 (#2)

DQ: 39.0/100

Freeman has slight edge over DQ in coverage at 78.8 vs. 70.1

Freeman has a huge edge over DQ in pass rush at 84.9 vs. 35.9

I thought these were interesting.

Indy should cut Jackson at ILB saving about 5 mil while also getting younger and use that money to sign a Travathan. This is a passing league now and coverage LBs are highly valued. 

Or or they could replace D'Qwell with either Myles Jack or Jaylon Smith...wishful thinking.

1 hour ago, COLTS449 said:

Cut DQ? Wouldn't be a bad idea. We could just give Freeman the money DQ's getting. So we wouldn't be losing anything. Or I wouldn't even mind signing Trevathan and cutting DQ, using that money to sign other free agents, and starting Sio next to Trevathan. Or we'd have Irving if Moore wasn't playing well. But I think Moore would thrive if given the opportunity to start every week.

Yep.  I'm in the camp that is ready to get more athletic at ILB and willing to cut DQ to do it.  DQ needs to come off the field on 3rd down...but he calls the defense, so that's a problem.

I have my doubts that this staff will ever play Moore,  but I'd be fine going into camp with Freeman, Irving, Moore and draft pick....or adding a key signing like Trevathan.

Freeman is a good fit, and it's probably no coincidence that he thrived this year playing behind a more active DLine which allowed him to use his athleticism in better flow to the ball.

Freeman wants to be here and we should make him a solid offer.

1 hour ago, BProland85 said:

Indy should cut Jackson at ILB saving about 5 mil while also getting younger and use that money to sign a Travathan. This is a passing league now and coverage LBs are highly valued. 

Or or they could replace D'Qwell with either Myles Jack or Jaylon Smith...wishful thinking.

Getting a guy like Jack in the draft would be awesome, and he may slide to us. He was matching up on receivers at UCLA and holding his own pretty dang well. He has loose hips and just moves so easily, plus he's a sure tackler. Watching him stay with and shaddow recIevers was a thing of beauty. I'd love to snag him if he's there. He provide that element to our LB core that we need desperately. Then maybe we won't constantly get beat in the middle of the field with crossing routes.

1 hour ago, ponyboy said:

FWIW, PFF has an elite overall grade on Freeman (90.6/100) for the 2015 season.  Their elite category is a grade of 90-100.  Freeman is ranked #6 overall, and #2 overall in run defense (behind only Luke Kuechly).

Nice info. I didn't know all that. This is making me tend to agree with cutting DQ, giving Freeman his contract and then also signing Trevathan. Don't we save quite a bit in cap room by cutting DQ? If so that's what I'm hoping for. And with our new DC from Baltimore. He's going to want some major upgrades at the linebacker position outside and inside as he was Baltimore's LB coach.

What were Travathan #s like?

Freeman and Trevathan would be a very, very good duo IMO. Then we'd have some top of the line reserves in Sio Moore and Nate Irving. Irving wasn't healthy this past year, but he was playing really well in Denver. He should be back to his 2014 form next season. He's a big downhill 2down run stuffer while  Sio is a very athletic, hard hitting sideline to sideline type. So he could be useful on 3rd downs.

Yeah how'd Trevathan grade out?

1 minute ago, weslo1812 said:

What were Travathan #s like?

#8 overall.  Compared to Freeman...

Overall: Freeman 90.6 vs. 87.6

Run: Freeman 97.9 vs. 85.1

Coverage: Freeman 78.8 vs. 84.8

Pass Rush: Freeman 84.9 vs. 77.4

In case you're curious how they grade -- it's here

29 minutes ago, ponyboy said:

#8 overall.  Compared to Freeman...

Overall: Freeman 90.6 vs. 87.6

Run: Freeman 97.9 vs. 85.1

Coverage: Freeman 78.8 vs. 84.8

Pass Rush: Freeman 84.9 vs. 77.4

In case you're curious how they grade -- it's here

I knew Trevathan was really good, and pretty good in coverage. But I'm starting to think He and Freeman could be one of the best ILB duo's in the league.

5 hours ago, UKColt13 said:

Trevathan. This isn't even a difficult choice.

I'd like both. Id give Trevathan DQ's contract.

Yeah that's what I'm thinking. I get excited thinking about a possible LB corps of Freeman and Trevathan on the inside and a 1st round pick, and Free Agent, and then Mathis rotating on the outside.

Fun to speculate.
Trevathan looks good, but plays with Many excellent players and has Wade pushing the buttons.
Personally, Freemans #`s just don`t pass the eye test.
I would be interested in Trev.
  But he might command $$ along the Mychal Kendricks deal,  4 years $29M, $16M guaranteed
http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/positional/inside-linebacker/