Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

How about those Texans

indyagent17

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Both teams had QB problems but losing Andrew Luck just screwed us. After the Denver game we were about to roll I believe. Hass gave us a couple of good games but he isn't near what Luck can bring.

Yeah, but Andrew wasn't playing too hot to start the year off either. He did measure up better against the Panthers and Broncos, though I think many fans would argue that Hass outplayed Andrew in the games this year. Though the lack of Andrew's deep ball later in the season was definitely a hindrance to the offense.

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, QwizBoy said:

Yeah, but Andrew wasn't playing too hot to start the year off either. He did measure up better against the Panthers and Broncos, though I think many fans would argue that Hass outplayed Andrew in the games this year. Though the lack of Andrew's deep ball later in the season was definitely a hindrance to the offense.

His mobility was missed too. Hass cant throw the deep ball or run. He won 4 games but every team he beat was basically either bad or mediocre. The best team he beat was actually the win at Houston.

3 minutes ago, SkyBane said:

There's an article on NFL.com front page right now about an interview Bob McNair gave the Houston Chronicle that basically called the QB play of his team "atrocious". It says he desperately wants a franchise QB and sees it as a top need, but doesn't want to give up much of what he's got on the team now to get it, as he feels that keeping the rest of the pieces together is too important.

Linky: http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000621812/article/texans-owner-we-need-a-franchise-quarterback

I'd of course argue at this point, that the Texans should potentially blow the whole thing up if it meant getting a franchise quality QB. In the modern NFL, without the guy under center, the highest you can hope to achieve is mediocrity.

I saw that too. I think there are several QBs who have been rated highly and with so many of the teams picking at the top who already have their guy, I'm more optimistic that one of them will fall to us. I don't think the Texans have to necessarily give up a kings ransom to move up in the Draft. There aren't any Cam Newtons or Andrew Lucks in this Draft to justify anything huge anyway, but yes it is the most important position in the NFL and it needs to be addressed.

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

His mobility was missed too. Hass cant throw the deep ball or run. He won 4 games but every team he beat was basically either bad or mediocre. The best team he beat was actually the win at Houston.

True. But one could argue that it was Andrew trying to do everything himself that got him banged up in the first place. Running is good but he needs to play things a little bit safer like Russell Wilson and slide or get out of bounds when he needs to. He's a big dude and he knows it, but that doesn't mean he needs to take a lot of unnecessary hits.

5 minutes ago, QwizBoy said:

True. But one could argue that it was Andrew trying to do everything himself that got him banged up in the first place. Running is good but he needs to play things a little bit safer like Russell Wilson and slide or get out of bounds when he needs to. He's a big dude and he knows it, but that doesn't mean he needs to take a lot of unnecessary hits.

I think this injury probably has him scared a little. He is pretty smart and I am assuming he will think twice about running without sliding. In that Denver game he knew we had to win so he was doing everything possible to win. That is what kind of player he is but he just needs to slide or get out of bounds if he is going to take off and run. He's built like a tank so a season ending injury never crossed his mind I am sure.

4 minutes ago, QwizBoy said:

I saw that too. I think there are several QBs who have been rated highly and with so many of the teams picking at the top who already have their guy, I'm more optimistic that one of them will fall to us. I don't think the Texans have to necessarily give up a kings ransom to move up in the Draft. There aren't any Cam Newtons or Andrew Lucks in this Draft to justify anything huge anyway, but yes it is the most important position in the NFL and it needs to be addressed.

This year isn't particularly grand in terms of draft QBs, there's not really anyone coming out that you could say with much confidence could be the guy. Trying to retread RG3 almost seems reasonable given the state of the draft QBs, honestly. Another option (which would never happen) would be to test the waters in San Francisco and see if you could package Clowney with something to get Kaepernick and see if a change of scenery reinvigorates that career. 

It's rough this year. They may end up just taking Goff in the 1st.

9 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I think this injury probably has him scared a little. He is pretty smart and I am assuming he will think twice about running without sliding. In that Denver game he knew we had to win so he was doing everything possible to win. That is what kind of player he is but he just needs to slide or get out of bounds if he is going to take off and run. He's built like a tank so a season ending injury never crossed his mind I am sure.

Yeah in a way I think the injury could be good for him in the long term. Not health wise, but mentally. He will be avoiding the bigger hits, at least for his sake I hope he does. I can understand him doing everything he could to get his team the W. The best ability is availability though lol.

16 minutes ago, SkyBane said:

This year isn't particularly grand in terms of draft QBs, there's not really anyone coming out that you could say with much confidence could be the guy. Trying to retread RG3 almost seems reasonable given the state of the draft QBs, honestly. Another option (which would never happen) would be to test the waters in San Francisco and see if you could package Clowney with something to get Kaepernick and see if a change of scenery reinvigorates that career. 

It's rough this year. They may end up just taking Goff in the 1st.

I'd be singing to the heavens if Goff managed to fall to us. The dude has all the tools to be a franchise QB, and while some say he is a project and may take time, they said the same about Bortles and he's looked much better than he did his rookie season. Still...he's no sure thing like you said. I'm wary about Kaep. But if he can get back to playing like he did a couple of years ago he would be well worth the trade. I would want a draft pick as well if Clowney was involved in the transaction. Or some kind of compensatory picks or something lol. I would love to see Griffin come here in free agency too. I don't think he's done in this league just yet, and of course I'm a big fan of his.

38 minutes ago, QwizBoy said:

Yeah and the Texans didn't shuffle through 4 subpar QBs this year either /s

The Texans are the better all around team and are more suited to carry the team with a backup subpar QB.  The Colts are not.  If the Texans could have picked up a guy like Brees in FA (I guess it's still not out of the question, but the indication is that he's staying), they'd be a dangerous team.  

7 minutes ago, QwizBoy said:

I'm wary about Kaep. But if he can get back to playing like he did a couple of years ago he would be well worth the trade. I would want a draft pick as well if Clowney was involved in the transaction. Or some kind of compensatory picks or something lol

Lol. You can dream, Houston would be giving SF draft picks in this scenario. The only reason a Clowney package might even work right now is the rumors the 49'ers are looking to move on from Kaepernick, implying they might take a value trade .

11 minutes ago, SkyBane said:

Lol. You can dream, Houston would be giving SF draft picks in this scenario. The only reason a Clowney package might even work right now is the rumors the 49'ers are looking to move on from Kaepernick, implying they might take a value trade .

Kaep's value is down and Clowney's would still be optimistic.  You think the value still skews to Kaep based on position alone?  

It's an interesting thought.  Premier pass rusher potential that really hasn't "flopped" (if you know what I mean) for a former above average QB who has regressed a lot.  I'm not sure it is so black and white as you say.

1 minute ago, Surge89 said:

Kaep's value is down and Clowney's would still be optimistic.  You think the value still skews to Kaep based on position alone?  

It's an interesting thought.  Premier pass rusher potential that really hasn't "flopped" (if you know what I mean) for a former above average QB who has regressed a lot.  I'm not sure it is so black and white as you say.

Yeah, position skews it. It's just the world we live in.

Clowney and a 3rd for Kaepernick and a conditional 5th perhaps? I can see something along those lines. I say I can see it, but the reality is this would never ever happen. The Texans are far to conservative a front office lol.

37 minutes ago, OffensivelyPC said:

The Texans are the better all around team and are more suited to carry the team with a backup subpar QB.  The Colts are not.  If the Texans could have picked up a guy like Brees in FA (I guess it's still not out of the question, but the indication is that he's staying), they'd be a dangerous team.  

This is true...I'm just reminding certain posters that the Texans didn't exactly have it easy this year, either. But yeah I think Brees is definitely remaining in New Orleans. His BFF Sean Payton didn't get fired or traded so Drew should be finishing his career there. It was nice to dream about while it lasted though.

40 minutes ago, SkyBane said:

This all depends on who the next HC for the 49ers is too. If Kelly winds up there I think Kaep stays. Coughlin I think would draft his own guy or maybe even try to trade for Eli, though that seems very unlikely. I think Clowney would definitely require more of an asking price. He has been trending upward despite the injuries.

25 minutes ago, SkyBane said:

Yeah, position skews it. It's just the world we live in.

Clowney and a 3rd for Kaepernick and a conditional 5th perhaps? I can see something along those lines. I say I can see it, but the reality is this would never ever happen. The Texans are far to conservative a front office lol.

I don't know...McNair sounds desperate lol.

Just now, QwizBoy said:

I don't know...McNair sounds desperate lol.

McNair may be desperate, but Rick Smith is still his guy making the football decisions, and I don't see Smith ever going that ballsy. Far more likely he takes a flier by reaching on a draft QB or taking a flier on RG3. Considering the position he plays, the constant injuries to Clowney raise some rather large concern, but as it would only be his 3rd year, he's still a relative unknown. The Texans can afford to lose some D line talent given their wealth of it, and San Francisco could definitely use the defensive piece to rebuild an utterly decimated pass rush. The pieces fit but it's all pie in the sky daydreaming.

4 hours ago, Coffeedrinker said:

I don't think RGIII will be the next top Qb in the league but he's accurate,has a strong arm, can make something happen out of nothing.  He has a lot of tools to work with.  He does need to learn to go through progressions and he has injury concerns.  But unlike accuracy, a QB can learn to go through his progressions.

I agree that he has tools , I conceded that in my last post. What "bothers" me the most about him is the inordinate amount of sacks he took. A QB really needs pocket presence to be successful . He thus far has shown zero in this category . What Shanahan did year 1 was genius. Great scheme for the running game , ran read option and many plays that RG3 didn't have to sit in the pocket and go through progressions. 

We know that he can't be used that way for the reasons we've beat to death and are obvious. So I guess now we have to question if he can "learn" or overcome the problems with his game. My guess would be that he ends up a good back up at best. Don't forget you have a kid with questionable "mental fortitude " that has already collected over 20 million $. Is mental fortitude the right description ? I don't want to say "character" because IMO he could not care enough to do this and that would not mean he has bad character.

On 1/13/2016 at 10:36 AM, QwizBoy said:

Yeah and the Texans didn't shuffle through 4 subpar QBs this year either /s

12 will be back better than ever & the  Texans are who we thought they were

However

The Texans will once again be relegated to the second fiddle behind the Colts that 1 win here in Indy your only claim to fame the biggest win for the Texans in there history enjoy the AFC South banner it is an accomplishment .

27 minutes ago, ÅÐØNϧ 1 said:

12 will be back better than ever & the  Texans are who we thought they were

However

The Texans will once again be relegated to the second fiddle behind the Colts that 1 win here in Indy your only claim to fame the biggest win for the Texans in there history enjoy the AFC South banner it is an accomplishment .

You're gonna have to speak English for me to understand what the hell you're saying. All I see is gibberish.

5 minutes ago, Restored said:

*Truth not gibberish.

Yeah I heard the Texans will suck and be last in the division every year since Andrew was drafted. We've won it twice in that time span and he's won it twice. Seems pretty even to me. 

16 minutes ago, QwizBoy said:

Yeah I heard the Texans will suck and be last in the division every year since Andrew was drafted. We've won it twice in that time span and he's won it twice. Seems pretty even to me. 

So far it's 2-2 in the Andrew era regarding Houston and winning the Division, with Jacks and Tennessee 0-4. Having said that it feels more like 2-1 because we didn't have Andrew for our game here to decide the Division this season. I am still pretty sure we win that game and the Division if he plays but it is what it is. End result we have won the Division 50% of the time so far with Andrew as a Colt which is respectable but also have gone to a Title Game which is huge outside of the Division.

26 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

So far it's 2-2 in the Andrew era regarding Houston and winning the Division, with Jacks and Tennessee 0-4. Having said that it feels more like 2-1 because we didn't have Andrew for our game here to decide the Division this season. I am still pretty sure we win that game and the Division if he plays but it is what it is. End result we have won the Division 50% of the time so far with Andrew as a Colt which is respectable but also have gone to a Title Game which is huge outside of the Division.

Yeah those title games are pretty big no doubt. If the Colts can get there again they'll get props from me like they did last time. I'd rather see my guys get there of course though.

2 minutes ago, QwizBoy said:

Yeah those title games are pretty big no doubt. If the Colts can get there again they'll get props from me like they did last time. I'd rather see my guys get there of course though.

Yeah it's fun getting that far. Unfortunately we ran into the Pats machine last season. If you guys get a QB that can play I have to admit I would be a lot more scared of your team in the future.

4 hours ago, QwizBoy said:

Until your management realizes that a franchise QB is what will make you consistent contenders in the division, you will see the Texans hoping and praying Luck gets hurt because that's the only way they will win the division going forward. That's a fact.

16 minutes ago, Restored said:

Until your management realizes that a franchise QB is what will make you consistent contenders in the division, you will see the Texans hoping and praying Luck gets hurt because that's the only way they will win the division going forward. That's a fact.

No, it isn't a fact. Not even minutely.

3 minutes ago, QwizBoy said:

No, it isn't a fact. Not even minutely.

Try again. Luck was a rookie and missed over half the season the two times the Texans have won it. It won't even be close next season. Get a franchise QB and maybe the Texans can sneak in the playoffs and not get blasted by 30 points.

3 minutes ago, Restored said:

Try again. Luck was a rookie and missed over half the season the two times the Texans have won it. It won't even be close next season. Get a franchise QB and maybe the Texans can sneak in the playoffs and not get blasted by 30 points.

Ha, now the rookie excuse. Your argument and statement of a "fact" is still incorrect. Whatever excuse you make, the Texans have and can continue to win the division. Just because you have a franchise QB doesn't guarantee anything. I'd rather get blasted by 30 in the playoffs than 50 by the Jaguars in a hopeless regular season.

Just now, QwizBoy said:

Ha, now the rookie excuse. You're argument and statement of a "fact" is still incorrect. Whatever excuse you make, the Texans have and will continue to win the division. Just because you have a franchise QB doesn't guarantee anything. I'd rather get blasted by 30 in the playoffs than 50 by the Jaguars in a hopeless regular season.

It's not an excuse. The team was in the first year of a complete overhaul and still nearly won the division. If Luck is healthy, the Colts will win the division. That's a fact. 

The line of thinking that a franchise QB doesn't guarantee anything reflects fairly accurately in your franchise's success over the past decade, or rather the lack thereof.

Congrats, the Texans won just as many playoff games as the Colts did this season.

5 minutes ago, Restored said:

It's not an excuse. The team was in the first year of a complete overhaul and still nearly won the division. If Luck is healthy, the Colts will win the division. That's a fact. 

The line of thinking that a franchise QB doesn't guarantee anything reflects fairly accurately in your franchise's success over the past decade, or rather the lack thereof.

Congrats, the Texans won just as many playoff games as the Colts did this season.

He was healthy his rookie year and the Colts didn't win the division. Outside of QB, our team is better than yours, and that was reflected in how we overcame four different subpar QBs to win the division. The Packers have a franchise quarterback and didn't win their division. Neither did the Lions, Steelers, Jaguars, the list goes on and on. And at least we made the playoffs lol. It's that much sweeter that we even got our first win in Indiana. Bigger things are in the future, especially since McNair is looking to get an actual QB to propel this team. I don't talk trash but it's sore loser fans like you that make me have to. I have people here who know what I'm about. 

1 hour ago, QwizBoy said:

Ha, now the rookie excuse. Your argument and statement of a "fact" is still incorrect. Whatever excuse you make, the Texans have and can continue to win the division. Just because you have a franchise QB doesn't guarantee anything. I'd rather get blasted by 30 in the playoffs than 50 by the Jaguars in a hopeless regular season.

At least we have and can make progress and advance in the playoffs. And Luck has already won as many Playoffs games in his only 4 years as a QB as the Texans have won in thier WHOLE HISTORY!!!! Despite having a below avg team around him.  And Luck is 6-2 vs you guys in his short career so far. I don't think anymore needs to be said for Luck or the Colts!!!!

1 hour ago, QwizBoy said:

"Total rebuild" isn't a good excuse. We're the Colts good or not? That is the question. Can't have it both ways. Like you said, they made the playoffs that year too. With a fully healthy Andrew. The Texans went through their share of QBs too, and you know it. And your fanbase is readily happy to admit that Hass did a great job filling in for Andrew. The Texans had Weeden and Yates behind two guys who aren't franchise QBs. 

Again, we proved that having a franchise QB doesn't always guarantee success. Was Brady a franchise guy when he won his first Super Bowl? Was Kaep when the 49ers made it? What about Dilfer, or the young Roethlisberger who rode a good defense? And I'm almost positive you're one of the ones who cries that Wilson wouldn't have a ring if he played for the Colts rather than the Seahawks. 

There is a prize for making the playoffs, and that is the chance to advance to the big game. Making the playoffs means you achieved something other than just playing games in the regular season. Only one team gets to hoist a trophy every year, does that mean the runner up or Championship game losers should feel completely disappointed in their season? No. 

And I have no ego. The clown quoted me talking trash and this entire thread was made to talk trash. You didn't see me parading around the Colt section after we beat you, nor after winning the division. If you don't like what I have to say then don't quote me, it's that easy. Don't read what I post. But this has more to do with your egos than mine, and that's for sure.

When about 90% of your roster is completely new on top of a rookie QB. "Total rebuild" is definitely an excuse, and to try and say honestly that it's not is just completely nieve!!! It was basically a bunch of new playere with a new coaching staff and a Rookie QB. That's alot tougher situation than just having to shuffle QBs. Everybody is learning and there is no chemistry. And your team isn't "better" by much, we stayed right with you guys without our main guy. 

32 minutes ago, weslo1812 said:

At least we have and can make progress and advance in the playoffs. And Luck has already won as many Playoffs games in his only 4 years as a QB as the Texans have won in thier WHOLE HISTORY!!!! Despite having a below avg team around him.  And Luck is 6-2 vs you guys in his short career so far. I don't think anymore needs to be said for Luck or the Colts!!!!

Every team can make progress. We made progress from last season by actually making the playoffs. So I don't see your point or what you're trying to argue.

2 minutes ago, weslo1812 said:

When about 90% of your roster is completely new on top of a rookie QB. "Total rebuild" is definitely an excuse, and to try and say honestly that it's not is just completely nieve!!! It was basically a bunch of new playere with a new coaching staff and a Rookie QB. That's alot tougher situation than just having to shuffle QBs. Everybody is learning and there is no chemistry. And your team isn't "better" by much, we stayed right with you guys without our main guy. 

It is rare that a team can have sustained success with poor QB play. You can win some games but unless your defense is out of this world then you aren't hoisting the Lombardi. People that like to argue about the 2012 season always try and have it both ways when it comes to how good the Colts really were. 

Just now, QwizBoy said:

Every team can make progress. We made progress from last season by actually making the playoffs. So I don't see your point or what you're trying to argue.

My point was actually pretty clear...when WE get to the playoffs we actually go somewhere. And that Luck in 4 years...has ALREADY won as many playoff games as YOUR team in thier ENTIRE HISTORY!!!! And that's with and avg team around him to say the least and below avg offensive line...which is being nice. Plus Record vs you guys is 6-2, So yeah...He nor the Colts need to say much more.

2 minutes ago, weslo1812 said:

My point was actually pretty clear...when WE get to the playoffs we actually go somewhere. And that Luck in 4 years...has ALREADY won as many playoff games as YOUR team in thier ENTIRE HISTORY!!!! And that's with and avg team around him to say the least and below avg offensive line...which is being nice. Plus Record vs you guys is 6-2, So yeah...He nor the Colts need to say much more.

So do we, usually. This was the first time we didn't win at least one game while in the postseason, and BOB has turned a 2-14 team into a playoff contender very quickly. Sound familiar? Andrew does need to say more. The division won't be a cakewalk any longer with the Jaguars looking much better with their new QB. If the Texans manage to get a franchise guy then that trend will continue even more. 

10 minutes ago, QwizBoy said:

So do we, usually. This was the first time we didn't win at least one game while in the postseason, and BOB has turned a 2-14 team into a playoff contender very quickly. Sound familiar? Andrew does need to say more. The division won't be a cakewalk any longer with the Jaguars looking much better with their new QB. If the Texans manage to get a franchise guy then that trend will continue even more. 

You guys have won a grand TOTAL of 2 GAME in your history that was two first round games...you haven't progressed past that!!! On the Other hand Luck in only his 4 seasons.... I say again 4 seasons has won with his team as many playoff games AS THE TEXANS have in thier whole history!!!! ohhh and he's been to an AFC championship game, Have the Texans got there yet? NOPE, not even past the second round. So when it comes down to Colts and Texans here, NO the Colts or Luck really don't need to say anything else. On top of it all Luck is 6-2 vs you guys in his career. What at all besides getting to the playoffs and winning two first round games do you have to brag about head to head with the Colts??? Luck in his short tenure with the Colts has already outdone your teams success in their entire history thier buddy... The case is rested. Sorry them ARE the facts!!!

5 minutes ago, QwizBoy said:

Here's the problem, you don't have a QB, and you may not have Foster anymore. You were completely exposed when facing a solid team like the Chiefs who just beat you up. You won the division because Luck was out most of the year, that's a fact. You won the South by default. Your defense is very good and Watt is the best player in the NFL (IMO), but that won't get you into the playoffs most of the time. You aren't really improving, your record gives you the illusion you're improving, but you have no QB still and now no RB, and without those, you can't compete most likely in the division and especially in the playoffs. Draft a QB and develop him, and you'll be well on your way, but if Bortles and Mariota develop, you will be last for years to come soon enough. It's a QB run league these days.