Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Where do the Colts rank over the last 21 years?

DalTXColtsFan

I chose 21 years because it conveniently skews the analysis in favor of the Colts hahahaha

Only 11 teams have won a Super Bowl in the last 21 years, here they are:

Patriots: 4 SB wins, 2 SB losses, 3 AFCCG losses, 15 total playoff appearances, 2 losing seasons

Steelers:  2 SB wins, 2 SB losses, 3 AFCCG losses, 12 total playoff appearances, 3 losing seasons

Giants - 2 wins, 1 loss, 0 NFCCG losses, 8 total playoff appearances, 9 losing seasons

Ravens - 2 wins 0 losses, 2 AFCCG losses, 10 total playoff appearances, 7 losing seasons

Broncos - 2 wins 1 loss, 1 AFCCG loss, 11 total playoff appearances, 3 losing seasons

Packers 2 wins 1 loss, 3 NFCCG losses, 15 total playoff appearances, 2 losing seasons

Bucs 1 win

Rams 1 win 1 loss

Cowboys 1 win

Seattle 1 win 2 losses 0 NFCCG losses, 10 total playoff appearances, 7 losing seasons

Colts 1 win 1 loss 3 AFCCG losses 16 total playoff appearances 3 losing seasons

Over the last 21 years, clearly the top 4 are the pats, steelers, packers and broncos in that order.

Call me biased but I rank the Colts ahead of both the Ravens and the Giants even though those 2 teams won more rings because the Colts were more consistently in the thick of it year by year by year.  I'm inclined to rank them ahead of the Seahawks for the same reason.  They're CLEARLY ahead of the Bucs, Rams and Cowboys when looking at the last 21 years as a whole.

Is it justifiable to say the Colts have been the fifth-best team in the NFL over the last 21 years?

EDIT: Oops, I forgot the Saints.  But the Colts are clearly ahead of them looking at the last 21 years as a whole.

On 1/5/2016 at 8:04 PM, DalTXColtsFan said:

EDIT: Oops, I forgot the Saints.  But the Colts are clearly ahead of them looking at the last 21 years as a whole.

Nice to know you have to dig up meaningless stats, to make yourself sleep better at night, knowing a loser team still whooped you in the Super Bowl 6 years ago. 

saints-super-bowl-brees-paytonjpg-a5d76d

At the end of the day, no one cares about your meaningless winning seasons that resulted in playoff losses. What matters is the ring. No one looks back at those old 49ers teams that would finish 13-3, and lose the NFCCG to the Cowboys. The 1994 team is remembered cause they got the ring. Be happy you got a ring. 

I think the Colts have been arguably a Top 5 franchise since 1991 which is basically the last 25 seasons. I will go since the 1991 Season/2000's-2009/and from 2010-2015. Really only the Pats and Cowboys because of the early of the 90's have been clearly better but the Cowboys since Aikman retired have been mediocre since 2001. The Steelers, Ravens, Broncos, Packers, and Giants have won 2 SB's to our 1 since the 91 Season but we have won more overall games though when compared to those teams and did win that SB to justify everything. Even if someone wanted to put those franchises ahead of us we would still be 8th out of 32. Still in the Top 1/4th over the last 25 seasons.

3 hours ago, Bogie said:

Nice to know you have to dig up meaningless stats, to make yourself sleep better at night, knowing a loser team still whooped you in the Super Bowl 6 years ago. 

At the end of the day, no one cares about your meaningless winning seasons that resulted in playoff losses. What matters is the ring. No one looks back at those old 49ers teams that would finish 13-3, and lose the NFCCG to the Cowboys. The 1994 team is remembered cause they got the ring. Be happy you got a ring. 

Maybe not.....but we all remember Saints fans wearing paper bags over their heads in shame now don't we?

On 1/5/2016 at 10:38 PM, The Old Crow said:

Not to be Johnny Raincloud, but the Ravens have been in a harder division than the Colts and Patriots. That somewhat skews the division titles and playoff appearances. You also forgot a one and done category that would bring the Colts down a bit. 

I would put the Giants and Ravens ahead of the Colts as well, in that order.

Colts have to be considered #7....but that is something to be proud of anf we are clearly the most successful of all the teams to only get 1 title.

5 minutes ago, GoatBeard said:

Colts have to be considered #7....but that is something to be proud of anf we are clearly the most successful of all the teams to only get 1 title.

I even factored in the Cowboys Dynasty and went back 25 seasons to the 91 Season. At worse we would be 8th best out of 32 teams because we have a better franchise than any other 1 win SB team over the last 25 seasons based on overall wins which would no doubt be the tiebreaker.

3 hours ago, GoatBeard said:

It was kind of a fun, skewed topic anyway, but I was just pointing out that you could add some additional factors in. The point of the Colts having an excellent 21 year run is valid. I think the Ravens have been a bit more consistent than the Giants, as this was their first losing season since 2007. The division with Pittsburgh and Cincinnati in it, is very brutal. In that division, it's very hard to get division titles.  

3 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I even factored in the Cowboys Dynasty and went back 25 seasons to the 91 Season. At worse we would be 8th best out of 32 teams because we have a better franchise than any other 1 win SB team over the last 25 seasons based on overall wins which would no doubt be the tiebreaker.

I will go as far to say it was the second best era of Colts football, only behind the 58-71 Baltimore years. 

If I were ranking Colt eras they would be:

1. 1958-1971 Balt Unitas years 4 Championships

2. 1998-2011 Manning 1 SB

3. 2012-present Luck years

4. 1972-1983  Balt Jones years

5. 1984-1997 Early Indy years

6. 1953-1957 Baltimore expansion years 

On ‎1‎/‎5‎/‎2016 at 10:38 PM, The Old Crow said:

Not to be Johnny Raincloud, but the Ravens have been in a harder division than the Colts and Patriots. That somewhat skews the division titles and playoff appearances. You also forgot a one and done category that would bring the Colts down a bit. 

Ravens are interesting. 2 SBs with 2 different QBs and coaches in 12 years. I believe Lewis was the only player on both teams? But too many years of futility before Harbaugh/Flacco to make the list I suppose.

18 hours ago, Bogie said:

The Saints suck and have no business in this conversation. Be happy you got a ring.

1 hour ago, amfootball said:

Ravens are interesting. 2 SBs with 2 different QBs and coaches in 12 years. I believe Lewis was the only player on both teams? But too many years of futility before Harbaugh/Flacco to make the list I suppose.

I guess it depends on where you want to rank them. Out of 20 seasons in Baltimore , they have had 11 winning seasons, 2 8-8 seasons, and 7 losing seasons. Not the greatest,  but three of the years were 96-98 when they just got to Baltimore, and before Art brought in Bisciotti. The Ravens would not have won the first Super Bowl without Steve's money.  Basically, in 20 years they made the playoffs 10 years, 4 AFCCG appearances, 2 AFCCG wins, 4 division titles, and 2 for 2 in Super Bowls. Pretty good 20 year run, somewhat similar to 1953- 1973 of the first 20 years of the Colts in Baltimore. Not sure where we rank, but we've been lucky to see some darn good football in Baltimore. 

11 hours ago, The Old Crow said:

I will go as far to say it was the second best era of Colts football, only behind the 58-71 Baltimore years. 

If I were ranking Colt eras they would be:

1. 1958-1971 Balt Unitas years 4 Championships

2. 1998-2011 Manning 1 SB

3. 2012-present Luck years

4. 1972-1983  Balt Jones years

5. 1984-1997 Early Indy years

6. 1953-1957 Baltimore expansion years 

I wasn't born until the early 70's so I missed that era (1958-1971) unfortunately but your rankings look great to me. What is amazing just based on Andrew's first 3 seasons by winning 11 games and making a Title Game that his era is 3rd already.

2 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I wasn't born until the early 70's so I missed that era (1958-1971) unfortunately but your rankings look great to me. What is amazing just based on Andrew's first 3 seasons by winning 11 games and making a Title Game that his era is 3rd already.

It's been a good four year run with Luck so far. The Bert Jones 70's Colts might have ranked higher with three straight division titles , but injuries to Bert, and mismanagement sent that team downhill. They also had the misfortune of having to compete with dominant Steeler and Raider teams. 

11 minutes ago, The Old Crow said:

It's been a good four year run with Luck so far. The Bert Jones 70's Colts might have ranked higher with three straight division titles , but injuries to Bert, and mismanagement sent that team downhill. They also had the misfortune of having to compete with dominant Steeler and Raider teams. 

I became a fan in 1984 so I know all about the Mike Pagel and Art era's. Horrible times. The only thing that really got me excited in the era before Peyton until Harbaugh's Playoff run in 1995 was landing Dickerson in 1987. Had we had a QB in 1987 that could play we could've went deep in the Playoffs that season too. Trudeau stunk!

10 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I became a fan in 1984 so I know all about the Mike Pagel and Art era's. Horrible times. The only thing that really got me excited in the era before Peyton until Harbaugh's Playoff run in 1995 was landing Dickerson in 1987. Had we had a QB in 1987 that could play we could've went deep in the Playoffs that season too. Trudeau stunk!

I actually met Mike Pagel. He was a nice guy. I was younger and working at the Bowman Restaurant in Parkville, MD where WCBM did a Corral of the Colts live radio show with Art Donovan and Tom Davis. I remember talking to Pagel and Kush that night , and cleaning up like 50,000 Schlitz beer bottles off the bar from Artie ! Lol

I forgot about Trudeau. It seemed like the Indy years 84-94, where a continuation of the final Baltimore years 78-83. At least you had a good year with Harbaugh in 95. 

I only followed the NFL loosely from 1984 until 1996 when the Ravens came. I pretty much followed the progress of NFL players that went to Maryland or Towson, like Landetta and Meggett . 

10 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

By the way, I was looking back at the Eric Dickerson deal that was masterminded by 28 year old GM Jim Irsay ! 

It was a complicated 10 player trade, but as the article said , the Colts were 38-98-1 from 1978-1986, and didn't have any winning season during that time. This was 1987 and the Bills got Cornelius Bennett from the Colts plus draft picks, and the draft picks were packaged to the Rams for Dickerson. The Colts made the playoffs one year, plus another 9-7 season, but it was only a four year run for Dickerson , but did land him in the Indy Ring of Honor . 

31 minutes ago, The Old Crow said:

By the way, I was looking back at the Eric Dickerson deal that was masterminded by 28 year old GM Jim Irsay ! 

It was a complicated 10 player trade, but as the article said , the Colts were 38-98-1 from 1978-1986, and didn't have any winning season during that time. This was 1987 and the Bills got Cornelius Bennett from the Colts plus draft picks, and the draft picks were packaged to the Rams for Dickerson. The Colts made the playoffs one year, plus another 9-7 season, but it was only a four year run for Dickerson , but did land him in the Indy Ring of Honor . 

Dickerson was the first real superstar we ever had here in Indy and it marked an important turn for the franchise in this town. I think Irsay knows that and thats why hes in the ROH despite his short time here. He was the first guy that was worth the price of admission for Colts fans. And I remember being a kid and I just couldn't believe how great he was. He was a grade A *but damn, he was the most beautiful athlete to watch, he was so smooth and never even looked like he was trying hard. And I think he is vastly under rated when talking about the RB of all time. He was as good as anybody. I will never forget watching him in person as a kid. 

I've always had a lot of respect for Jim for inheriting his fathers reputation but not letting it become his own. He didn't wind up being a good GM, but to his credit he recognized that and started bringing in the right people with Tobin, then Polian. He has never been afraid to be critical of himself and that is what separates him from some other owners out there, as well as his father.

9 hours ago, GoatBeard said:

Dickerson was the first real superstar we ever had here in Indy and it marked an important turn for the franchise in this town. I think Irsay knows that and thats why hes in the ROH despite his short time here. He was the first guy that was worth the price of admission for Colts fans. And I remember being a kid and I just couldn't believe how great he was. He was a grade A *but damn, he was the most beautiful athlete to watch, he was so smooth and never even looked like he was trying hard. And I think he is vastly under rated when talking about the RB of all time. He was as good as anybody. I will never forget watching him in person as a kid. 

I've always had a lot of respect for Jim for inheriting his fathers reputation but not letting it become his own. He didn't wind up being a good GM, but to his credit he recognized that and started bringing in the right people with Tobin, then Polian. He has never been afraid to be critical of himself and that is what separates him from some other owners out there, as well as his father.

I I think bringing in Dickerson for the short term was a good move to give Indy fans hope. I think Bob wasn't putting up the money to sign Cornelius Bennett. That is the difference between Jim and Bob, Jim will spend the money knowing you get it all back in spades when you put a good product on the field. I think Peter Angelos finally figured this out with the Orioles.  

9 hours ago, GoatBeard said:

I I think bringing in Dickerson for the short term was a good move to give Indy fans hope. I think Bob wasn't putting up the money to sign Cornelius Bennett. That is the difference between Jim and Bob, Jim will spend the money knowing you get it all back in spades when you put a good product on the field. I think Peter Angelos finally figured this out with the Orioles.  

0 scandals, or gates or whatever they're called now. The Colts have had some forgettable winning seasons in hindsight, but the Saints have been in the same boat since 2009 and are still rowing it. If you think Payton's little speech today changed that then you're in for another season that'll be over by week 10.

0 scandals, or gates or whatever they're called now. The Colts have had some forgettable winning seasons in hindsight, but the Saints have been in the same boat since 2009 and are still rowing it. If you think Payton's little speech today changed that then you're in for another season that'll be over by week 10.

All said and done the Colts have been in the AFC South or guaranteed six wins before the season starts. They were better when the faced challenging opponents in the AFC East. To be truthful they never should have left Baltimore but Irsay was the biggest AH in the history of the NFL. 

All said and done the Colts have been in the AFC South or guaranteed six wins before the season starts. They were better when the faced challenging opponents in the AFC East. To be truthful they never should have left Baltimore but Irsay was the biggest AH in the history of the NFL. 

15 hours ago, King Colt said:

I agree with you the AFC East was a nice division. Miami was probably more dominant in the 70's -83, winning 2 Super Bowls, but the Colts won the division in 70, 75, 76, and 77, won the AFCCG and Super Bowl in 1970, and lost the AFCGC in 1971 to the Dolphins as a Wild Card. The Patriots, Jets, and Bills didn't have quite the accomplishments as the Colts and Dolphins during that era. Obviously , the wheels came off the cart in 1978, and the slide continued well into the Indy era. 

I I personally enjoyed the Colts in the NFL Coastal Division with the Rams, 49ers, and Falcons. I was disappointed when the Colts went over to the AFC with the Browns and Steelers after the merger, but it did get us a Super Bowl. 

15 hours ago, King Colt said:

You are wrong so often,    it's incredible 

Because I wasn't a fan until 1984 the move from Baltimore didn't bother me. I could only imagine how crushed a lot of Colts fans were when they moved. I am just the opposite because I live in Indianapolis and did then as well so I was happy we got a football team. I was just becoming a teenager when we got the Colts and eventhough we stunk I was just happy they were here. Once we landed Dickerson I became a diehard fan at that point because it showed me the organization was trying to do everything to win. The QB's we had back then from 1984-the early 90's were just awful though. Chandler was really the only one that was above average. When we drafted George I thought we had something then but what a bust that guy was! Harbaugh being added to the team was another sensational move pre-Manning and once again showed me we were trying to win. 1995 still ranks as my 2nd favorite season of all-time only behind 2006. 2006 is #1 because we won the SB, 2012 would rank as my 3rd favorite, Andrew's rookie season. Tons of great comeback wins and went from 2-14 to 11-5. Chuck Strong and Arians combo. Very enjoyable to have 3 of my favorite seasons from 3 different era's. Nice great/consistent longevity as fan watching.

14 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Because I wasn't a fan until 1984 the move from Baltimore didn't bother me. I could only imagine how crushed a lot of Colts fans were when they moved. I am just the opposite because I live in Indianapolis and did then as well so I was happy we got a football team. I was just becoming a teenager when we got the Colts and eventhough we stunk I was just happy they were here. Once we landed Dickerson I became a diehard fan at that point because it showed me the organization was trying to do everything to win. The QB's we had back then from 1984-the early 90's were just awful though. Chandler was really the only one that was above average. When we drafted George I thought we had something then but what a bust that guy was! Harbaugh being added to the team was another sensational move pre-Manning and once again showed me we were trying to win. 1995 still ranks as my 2nd favorite season of all-time only behind 2006. 2006 is #1 because we won the SB, 2012 would rank as my 3rd favorite, Andrew's rookie season. Tons of great comeback wins and went from 2-14 to 11-5. Chuck Strong and Arians combo. Very enjoyable to have 3 of my favorite seasons from 3 different era's. Nice great/consistent longevity as fan watching.

When you come down to it, fans are happy they have an NFL team. Obviously I was unhappy when the Colts left Baltimore, but if it didn't happen , we wouldn't have the Ravens. I think the Irsays were always more comfortable in the Midwest , while Baltimore eventually got the stable local ownership we wanted. Bob was from Chicago, so I think a move close to there in Indy, was more in his wheelhouse than Phoenix, Charlotte, or Jacksonville.  

I still cringe occasionally when , for example, I went to a Lenny Moore autograph signing, and he's wearing a Ravens hat . But Lenny's a Baltimore guy, the Ravens are the current Baltimore team, and the past is what it is, so what can you do ? I guess just enjoy the memories , and be happy for what you have . 

23 minutes ago, The Old Crow said:

When you come down to it, fans are happy they have an NFL team. Obviously I was unhappy when the Colts left Baltimore, but if it didn't happen , we wouldn't have the Ravens. I think the Irsays were always more comfortable in the Midwest , while Baltimore eventually got the stable local ownership we wanted. Bob was from Chicago, so I think a move close to there in Indy, was more in his wheelhouse than Phoenix, Charlotte, or Jacksonville.  

I still cringe occasionally when , for example, I went to a Lenny Moore autograph signing, and he's wearing a Ravens hat . But Lenny's a Baltimore guy, the Ravens are the current Baltimore team, and the past is what it is, so what can you do ? I guess just enjoy the memories , and be happy for what you have . 

Unitas was always a Baltimore guy too. It has a lot to do with the city you played in so I don't blame him.

23 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Unitas was always a Baltimore guy too. It has a lot to do with the city you played in so I don't blame him.

Yeah, it was just different back then. Those guys didn't make the salaries they do today , so they were more invested in the city. Mostly all of them worked, or had businesses in the off season. Unitas had the Golden Arm Restaurant, Marchetti had Gino's fast food, Art Donovan had a liquor store on the Alameda, Jim Parker had a bar, and Andy Nelson still runs in rib joint in Dundalk . 

On January 8, 2016 at 1:08 AM, King Colt said:

KC, you obviously do not know the entire story why the Irsays left Baltimore. They gave that city every opportunity to stay. Go read it, in it's entirety. I guess he could've given them more time, but time ran out fighting the municipalities. I would've left long before the Irsays did. By the time the city started to come around to the fact they might lose the organization, it was too late. 

The city played a game of chicken with the Colts. And, LOST! Darn shame IMO. If they could go back in time (the city) I think they would've changed things.