Chip Kelly fired

12isthenew18

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, Dustin said:

This literally sounds like something I would read about Belichick. The dude who cuts people on Christmas and the week of the Super Bowl. The only difference is that BB has won enough to not face criticism.

Not really a minor difference, though. (Belichick reportedly really likes Kelly. So do a lot of other NFL people. Not that it's relevant.)

I happen to think not being a tool is an important quality for a head coach. When you have Belichick's resume, you get more rope.

Every Philadelphia fan just shouted "thank God Jeffrey, you finally saw the light!"  

Chip's rapid snap philosophy in the NFL on every down crashed & burned, but maybe INDY should talk to his staff about his strength & conditioning measures though just to remain healthy. 

Dustin is exactly right. Kelly doesn't have the hardware to be given immunity on bad decisions like Bill Belichick does. College is Kelly's wheelhouse not the professional cream of the crop. 

10 minutes ago, Dustin said:

This literally sounds like something I would read about Belichick. The dude who cuts people on Christmas and the week of the Super Bowl. The only difference is that BB has won enough to not face criticism.

Beat me to it

1 minute ago, southwest1 said:

Every Philadelphia fan just shouted "thank God Jeffrey, you finally saw the light!"  

Chip's rapid snap philosophy in the NFL on every down crashed & burned, but maybe INDY should talk to his staff about his strength & conditioning measures though just to remain healthy. 

Dustin is exactly right. Kelly doesn't have the hardware to be given immunity on bad decisions like Bill Belichick does. College is Kelly's wheelhouse not the professional cream of the crop. 

What is funny is a lot of people here would love to run his Offense with Andrew. Quick/rapid, short passing, etc.. I didn't mind his Offense either but he didn't have the right personnel to run it but he chose that personnel, hence the firing. Sam Badford just doesn't cut the mustard,

4 minutes ago, Superman said:

Not really a minor difference, though. (Belichick reportedly really likes Kelly. So do a lot of other NFL people. Not that it's relevant.)

I happen to think not being a tool is an important quality for a head coach. When you have Belichick's resume, you get more rope.

Belichick got ran out of Cleveland because his players didn't like him. This is almost the exact same scenario except that Kelly has a better record. 

Even Belichick wouldn't have Belichick's resume if he got ran out of New England after they had a losing season.

I'm not surprised that Kelly was fired. I think he ends up back in the NFL before college.

He had some success with the Eagles. I don't think his scheme is why he was fired. In fact he had some success with it.

I think his personnel decisions and the way he handled players was his downfall. The guys he got rid of have been better than who he brought in.

I think Kelly will have more success in his next head coaching job assuming he has the QB position figured out. We all learn from mistakes and failures. I think Kelly will learn from his time as the Eagles head coach.

14 minutes ago, Superman said:

His receivers are fine this year. Bradford is the best QB he's had, he just doesn't fit the offense very well. And in that instance, that's Kelly's fault, as he traded for Bradford to begin with. 

Matthews is a legitimate no 1 receiver now?  Cooper is a #2?  Agholor was hurt most of the season.

Bradford was okay.  Their receivers dropped a LOT of good passes. He was terrible when pressured but played well when protected. 

You keep bringing up mistakes he made as a GM as if it means something.  My only point was that he's been a good coach. He took over a 4-12 team and has gone 26-21 without a good QB.  That is tough to do. Take away any of the outside stuff and look at what he did as a coach for a minute. 

1 minute ago, adamr said:

I'm not surprised that Kelly was fired. I think he ends up back in the NFL before college.

He had some success with the Eagles. I don't think his scheme is why he was fired. In fact he had some success with it.

I think his personnel decisions and the way he handled players was his downfall. The guys he got rid of have been better than who he brought in.

I think Kelly will have more success in his next head coaching job assuming he has the QB position figured out. We all learn from mistakes and failures. I think Kelly will learn from his time as the Eagles head coach.

I don't think the guys he got rid really havnt been better....except for McCoy.

19 minutes ago, Superman said:

I think that's likely. Makes me wonder if Chip Kelly asked out of Philly.

I have no knowledge of it, but I can't see that with the timing. 

My best assumption is that they asked him to give up control and he told them to go you know what. 

16 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

What is funny is a lot of people here would love to run his Offense with Andrew. Quick/rapid, short passing, etc.. I didn't mind his Offense either but he didn't have the right personnel to run it but he chose that personnel, hence the firing. Sam Badford just doesn't cut the mustard,

I would be very happy to see him in Indy.  His offense with Luck would be special. 

Just now, wig said:

I would be very happy to see him in Indy.  His offense with Luck would be special. 

It could be, we have Very Good WR's especially in TY and Moncrief and of course a special QB when healthy that can even run at times. I just wonder though if he will try to take control again like he did in Philly, releasing guys/picking up guys. I don't think Irsay would allow that but who knows?

14 minutes ago, Dustin said:

Belichick got ran out of Cleveland because his players didn't like him. This is almost the exact same scenario except that Kelly has a better record. 

Even Belichick wouldn't have Belichick's resume if he got ran out of New England after they had a losing season.

It's an incredibly different scenario. Between the Browns moving and Belichick being 8 games under .500, there was plenty of cause to fire him. And he had but one losing season with the Pats -- his first -- before they won the SB. 

Pretty much the only similarity is that Belichick made unpopular personnel decisions. But that's not my problem with Chip Kelly; I even defended the Jackson, McCoy and Foles deals (although I think the Jackson/Cooper situation fueled a lot of the 'racist' stuff, and wasn't handled well). 

I could be all wrong on Chip Kelly. He might make the kind of adjustments Belichick made between Cleveland and New England. He still runs a gimmick offense (Belichick doesn't), and comes across as a tyrannical jerk (Belichick does). 

One of the things I like about Kelly is his sports science approach, which really seemed to help the Eagles deal with injuries.

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

It could be, we have Very Good WR's especially in TY and Moncrief and of course a special QB when healthy that can even run at times. I just wonder though if he will try to take control again like he did in Philly, releasing guys/picking up guys. I don't think Irsay would allow that but who knows?

Big difference is the stars in Indy aren't all about themselves like they were in Philly. The culture when he took over there, and the team hasn't been good but the team culture is still intact, it seems.

14 minutes ago, wig said:

Matthews is a legitimate no 1 receiver now?  Cooper is a #2?  Agholor was hurt most of the season.

Bradford was okay.  Their receivers dropped a LOT of good passes. He was terrible when pressured but played well when protected. 

You keep bringing up mistakes he made as a GM as if it means something.  My only point was that he's been a good coach. He took over a 4-12 team and has gone 26-21 without a good QB.  That is tough to do. Take away any of the outside stuff and look at what he did as a coach for a minute. 

Yeah, Matthews is a #1. Not a finished product, but the talent and skill is there. Better QBing (which has been influenced by Kelly's system) would help. Cooper isn't a #2 and isn't treated like a #2. More like a #4. Agholor has been hurt, like you said, but Josh Huff hasn't been. They also have a really good TE, a decent second TE, and three backs who can produce in the passing game.

The biggest issue with their offense is their QB doesn't fit the intended scheme. They should have adjusted the scheme to maximize his talent. That's a coaching issue. It's only exacerbated by a questionable personnel decision.

I'm bringing up his GMing because he's the same person. You're talking about how bad his QB is and his receivers and his line, as if it excuses him as a coach. It doesn't. Yeah, his offense would look better if he still had Jeremy Maclin and Lesean McCoy, but he's the reason he doesn't have them anymore. I don't see how you can divorce the two. It's not like the coach can say 'the GM stuck me with a QB that didn't fit my scheme,' when the coach and the GM are the same person. 

1 minute ago, snkdy said:

It's possible. But it sounds like Lurie had a meeting with the players and didn't like what he heard.

I wonder if it's more of a devout fan base that got fed up with trickery [running east & west vs north & south] & not generating enough points on offense to rest an exhausted defense by the middle of the 3rd qtr. 

Players feedback matters yes, but Philly like Chicago is a smart football fan base with a high IQ. They aren't gonna give Chip another year simply because the Eagles defeated the Patriots this season. Dissension has been going among fans for some time now. Chip left this franchise in ruins & they know it. 

1 minute ago, southwest1 said:

I wonder if it's more of a devout fan base that got fed up with trickery [running east & west vs north & south] & not generating enough points on offense to rest an exhausted defense by the middle of the 3rd qtr. 

Players feedback matters yes, but Philly like Chicago is a smart football fan base with a high IQ. They aren't gonna give Chip another year simply because the Eagles defeated the Patriots this season. Dissension has been going among fans for some time now. Chip left this franchise in ruins & they know it. 

Exactly. There was no way he was staying.

His biggest football mistake was whiffing on the QB situation.  Foles>Bradford. 

Having said that, he seems like a real *, the kind of guy that nobody listens to unless they have to and only has far as they have to..which isn't a good personality for coaching players that get paid guaranteed money.

8 minutes ago, Superman said:

It's an incredibly different scenario. Between the Browns moving and Belichick being 8 games under .500, there was plenty of cause to fire him. And he had but one losing season with the Pats -- his first -- before they won the SB. 

Pretty much the only similarity is that Belichick made unpopular personnel decisions. But that's not my problem with Chip Kelly; I even defended the Jackson, McCoy and Foles deals (although I think the Jackson/Cooper situation fueled a lot of the 'racist' stuff, and wasn't handled well). 

I could be all wrong on Chip Kelly. He might make the kind of adjustments Belichick made between Cleveland and New England. He still runs a gimmick offense (Belichick doesn't), and comes across as a tyrannical jerk (Belichick does). 

One of the things I like about Kelly is his sports science approach, which really seemed to help the Eagles deal with 

I'm separating them because he was given the power to rebuild without the time to see if it would work.  

5 minutes ago, Superman said:

Yeah, Matthews is a #1. Not a finished product, but the talent and skill is there. Better QBing (which has been influenced by Kelly's system) would help. Cooper isn't a #2 and isn't treated like a #2. More like a #4. Agholor has been hurt, like you said, but Josh Huff hasn't been. They also have a really good TE, a decent second TE, and three backs who can produce in the passing game.

The biggest issue with their offense is their QB doesn't fit the intended scheme. They should have adjusted the scheme to maximize his talent. That's a coaching issue. It's only exacerbated by a questionable personnel decision.

I'm bringing up his GMing because he's the same person. You're talking about how bad his QB is and his receivers and his line, as if it excuses him as a coach. It doesn't. Yeah, his offense would look better if he still had Jeremy Maclin and Lesean McCoy, but he's the reason he doesn't have them anymore. I don't see how you can divorce the two. It's not like the coach can say 'the GM stuck me with a QB that didn't fit my scheme,' when the coach and the GM are the same person. 

For the last time, I am saying he was good as a coach, not a GM.

I also think he should worry about coaching at his next stop and not personnel.  Then, if he shows sustained success and still wants that power, to go for it.

4 minutes ago, DougDew said:

His biggest football mistake was whiffing on the QB situation.  Foles>Bradford. 

Having said that, he seems like a real *, the kind of guy that nobody listens to unless they have to and only has far as they have to..which isn't a good personality for coaching players that get paid guaranteed money.

Whats with this Foles > Bradford meme

They both suck, but Foles is clearly worse. He's played 11 games before he got benched an threw 7 TDs (almost half of which can in one game) to 10 INTs and has by far the worst YPA in the NFL.

1 minute ago, wig said:

I also think he should worry about coaching at his next stop and not personnel.  Then, if he shows sustained success and still wants that power, to go for it.

Just now, wig said:

I'm separating them because he was given the power to rebuild without the time to see if it would work.  

He seems like a good coach, if we're talking strictly about football. I don't like his offense; I think it's too rigid and simplistic, I think the QB should have more responsibility with play calling and communication, and I think it promotes too many QB runs. But he's had success with it, can't deny that. They also played fast, physical defense before this season, and of course, at Oregon. He had some questionable game management scenarios, but every coach does, especially if the calls don't work out. 

I think his issues with player relations are a big problem, though, if you couldn't tell. 

I agree that it's hard to judge him as a GM, given the fact that he only had full control for one year. Although, he had a lot of say from the beginning. Lots of high profile decisions that have been second guessed, but I don't have a big problem with his personnel decisions. Just his method of managing personnel, which I think proved to be counter productive. 

3 minutes ago, Dustin said:

They both suck, but Foles is clearly worse. He's played 11 games before he got benched an threw 7 TDs (almost half of which can in one game) to 10 INTs and has by far the worst YPA in the NFL.

I thought Foles had good stats when he was with Philly.  The problem is I think Kelly thought Bradford was a step up from  that but he looked lost all season, IMO. 

Maybe Foles belongs in Philly and Bradford in St Louis.....oops...too late.

6 minutes ago, Dustin said:

Nick Foles once threw 27 TDs and 2 INTs, so he's better than Sam Bradford.