Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Practice Report, Injuries, News, & Updates

TKnight24

Colts back outside for practice. Matt Hasselbeck once again participating. D'Qwell Jackson back to work. Greg Toler (knee) watching today

Chud says they have asked Dwayne Allen to be a blocker more this year. Credits Allen for being a team player and embracing that role.

Chud says they will definitely work Phillip Dorsett back into the mix now that he’s healthy. A very crowded WR group for the Colts right now

Colts DNPs at Thursday’s practice: Colt Anderson, Anthony Castonzo, Jerrell Freeman, Khaled Holmes, Andrew Luck, Greg Toler and Erik Walden.

1 hour ago, TKnight24 said:

Colts back outside for practice. Matt Hasselbeck once again participating. D'Qwell Jackson back to work. Greg Toler (knee) watching today

Chud says they have asked Dwayne Allen to be a blocker more this year. Credits Allen for being a team player and embracing that role.

Allen showcasing his blocking skills for a potential new team next year.  Unfortunate for him because he has been healthy this year but not been a part of the passing attack from a receiver point of view.  I'm hoping he won't be asking for too much and will be back next year.

12 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

Is Toler still in the burn unit? lmao

Lots of CB's been burned by the Steelers this years. My biggest issue with Toler is that he can't stay healthy. He gets targeted a lot more than Davis so I think we tend to look down on his play but if he would just stay healthy I would have a lot less issue with him.

When I look at some of Sio Moores highlights in Oakland I noticed the Raiders got after Big Bens butt.  They didn't sit back playing coverage all the time.  Maybe we should have been a bit more aggressive with some better designed overload blitzes.  Not just that usual stuff we bring,  and when we do it bring our best blitzing linebackers. Sio Moore seems to be an excellent blitzer and that's especially true off the edge.  I just don't understand why we haven't made more use of his talents until now.

Our opponents are way to comfortable in the pocket.
Watching Arizona with all their defensive aggression was interesting.
 Tyrann Mathieu at 5"9 186 lbs is a heck of a player, and blitzer.

I could see the standard breakfast for Chuck, Manusky, and Andrew being,
 2 packets of plain instant oatmeal, a piece of dry toast, and a big o glass of skim milk.
 Followed by a rousing, boy that was sure Gooooood.
  Pure Vanilla!

1 minute ago, throwing BBZ said:

Our opponents are way to comfortable in the pocket.
Watching Arizona with all their defensive aggression was interesting.
 Tyrann Mathieu at 5"9 186 lbs is a heck of a player, and blitzer.

I could see the standard breakfast for Chuck, Manusky, and Andrew being,
 2 packets of plain instant oatmeal, a piece of dry toast, and a big o glass of skim milk.
 Followed by a rousing, boy that was sure Gooooood.
  Pure Vanilla!

yeah...the colts never do any blitzing

:scratch:

35 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I think we should the blitz the heck out of Bortles, shake him up early. If he beats the blitz more power to him.

When you hear Pagano and Manusky speaking more openly about increasing the sack numbers I think blitzing is what they are pointing to.  I think they are going to ramp it up against Blake too.

39 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I think we should the blitz the heck out of Bortles, shake him up early. If he beats the blitz more power to him.

Sio, Dqwell, Walden, Mathis all are very capable blitzers.  We need to ramp this thing up a little bit more than we've been doing. 40 plus sacks last year so we need to make it a bigger part of the game plan.  Maybe not as frequently as last year, but definitely more.

1 hour ago, krunk said:

When I look at some of Sio Moores highlights in Oakland I noticed the Raiders got after Big Bens butt.  They didn't sit back playing coverage all the time.  Maybe we should have been a bit more aggressive with some better designed overload blitzes.  Not just that usual stuff we bring,  and when we do it bring our best blitzing linebackers. Sio Moore seems to be an excellent blitzer and that's especially true off the edge.  I just don't understand why we haven't made more use of his talents until now.

It's either that he hasn't been ready, or what feel like our staff's tendency to stay with what they know and hope it goes better.  As effective and loved by the fan's as Moore was in Oakland, it doesn't mean that he arrived with the character/readiness that this staff values.  Most of that tendency I like, but sometimes it keeps talent on the bench.

Just now, ztboiler said:

It's either that he hasn't been ready, or what feels like our staff's tendency to stay with what they know and hope it goes better.  As effective and loved by the fan's as Moore was in Oakland, it doesn't mean that he arrived with the character/readiness that this staff values.  Most of that tendency I like, but sometimes it keeps talent on the bench.

9 minutes ago, ztboiler said:

It's either that he hasn't been ready, or what feel like our staff's tendency to stay with what they know and hope it goes better.  As effective and loved by the fan's as Moore was in Oakland, it doesn't mean that he arrived with the character/readiness that this staff values.  Most of that tendency I like, but sometimes it keeps talent on the bench.

One thing I noticed in that game, it doesn't seem to me that Big Ben moves the same as he used to . He still has some mobility, but he seemed a bit slow to me.  I'm saying this to say I don't think he's as big a threat to hurt you running as he used to be.  I think maybe you ramp up some well timed blitz pressures versus sitting back being fearful of him running out of the pocket. 

53 minutes ago, krunk said:

One thing I noticed in that game, it doesn't seem to me that Big Ben moves the same as he used to . He still has some mobility, but he seemed a bit slow to me.  I'm saying this to say I don't think he's as big a threat to hurt you running as he used to be.  I think maybe you ramp up some well timed blitz pressures versus sitting back being fearful of him running out of the pocket. 

It didn't make sense to play it so safe against Ben - you're right, and our coaches said as much this week by suggesting that they will have to manufacture more pressure.  

What is a touch frustrating about our coaches admission this week is that they had to know they couldn't match points with Pitt without Luck - so our only chance was to take some appropriate risks and get Ben a bit off balance.  Instead, we played it pretty safe and then executed poorly on top of that, and got the blow out we were trying to avoid anyway.

3 hours ago, krunk said:

Agree with both of your statements, if we can't get pressure, you need to find a way becuase Db's can't cover forever!

Whoa..some love for TE Dwayne Allen. Nice! Thanks Chud & can you get him involved sooner in games please?

"Chud says they have asked Dwayne Allen to be a blocker more this year. Credits Allen for being a team player and embracing that role."

In addition, do the same darn thing for Moncrief ASAP. Our offensive comes bleeping alive when he gets early touches in games. Make it so Chud. Allen & Moncrief need the ball early & often baby!