Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Slow Starts Hypothesis

NagelHausForge

So I was thinking back to Luck's first season under Pagano/ Arians and I don't remember Luck having slow starts.  I may be wrong about this (and if I am please correct me) but it seems like the slow starts has been more a product of Pep Hamilton's involvement as opposed to Pagano's.

Now, that's not to say that Pagano isn't culpable as well in failing to prepare his team for their opponents and what not.  But it seems that Pagano is much more involved on the defensive side of the ball as opposed to the offensive side of the ball.

Who out there has better recall than me (I've suffered many a concussion in my time...) that can think back to the 2012 season and see if these slow starts were still an issue?

I don't think Pagano's job should be safe by any means but I would tend to think that Hamilton should be the first to go as he seemingly is the root cause of these slow starts (combined with Luck's poor execution of an already flawed game plan).

Additional thoughts are welcome.

This isn't supposed to be another back Pep threat, more of an analysis of Luck from 2012 under Arians to 2013-present under Hamilton.

I'd agree, nothing that Pep is dialing up is working right now. He routinely just wastes plays with terrible playcalls that put both units at a huge disadvantage. However, the defense has played far better this season since Pagano has gotten more hands-on.

I think the best move Irsay could make if he's still interested in saving the season would be to put Chudzinski in charge of offensive playcalling, and not fire Chuck. And since the trade deadline has already passed, there's no real point in firing Grigson at this point either.

Long story short, the only phase of this team that's truly struggling right now is the offense, and that's on Pep.

What about this situation then: Since we already have Pep AND Chudzinski on the staff, and Jim Irsay does not want to pull the trigger too early..half the season is here, so since Pep has come up with limited effective playcalling, allow for Rob Chudzinski to take the other half of the season, alternate their roles. And this way it's a win-win for many fans as well as Pagano, and Mr. Jim Irsay.

(Who knows, maybe even place Pep in Clyde Christensen's QB Coaching position to assist Luck re-establishing his mechanics, or place Pep in a type of mentoring Offensive Coordinator course if it exists, if it doesn't, create one.)

What about this situation then: Since we already have Pep AND Chudzinski on the staff, and Jim Irsay does not want to pull the trigger too early..half the season is here, so since Pep has come up with limited effective playcalling, allow for Rob Chudzinski to take the other half of the season, alternate their roles. And this way it's a win-win for many fans as well as Pagano, and Mr. Jim Irsay.

(Who knows, maybe even place Pep in Clyde Christensen's QB Coaching position to assist Luck re-establishing his mechanics, or place Pep in a type of mentoring Offensive Coordinator course if it exists, if it doesn't, create one.)

I don't think Pep would go for that and why should he? Like or hate him he is not going to step down unless fired.

I'd agree, nothing that Pep is dialing up is working right now. He routinely just wastes plays with terrible playcalls that put both units at a huge disadvantage. However, the defense has played far better this season since Pagano has gotten more hands-on.

I think the best move Irsay could make if he's still interested in saving the season would be to put Chudzinski in charge of offensive playcalling, and not fire Chuck. And since the trade deadline has already passed, there's no real point in firing Grigson at this point either.

Long story short, the only phase of this team that's truly struggling right now is the offense, and that's on Pep.

This has been forgotten by many.  Pagano deserves at least one more year.  This defense is good enough to be partnered with an elite QB.

No. Get pep has far away from Luck as humanly possible

I'm in 100% agreement with the bolded first half of this. 

As far as whether or not to fire Grigson right now, I think that (if the things that have been reported are true) Irsay has to tell Grigson, "This is Pagano's team to run.  Keep your nose out."

I'm in 100% agreement with the bolded first half of this. 

As far as whether or not to fire Grigson right now, I think that (if the things that have been reported are true) Irsay has to tell Grigson, "This is Pagano's team to run.  Keep your nose out."

haha, see, this executive level football stuff isn't so hard after all.

And I like your idea about Irsay putting Grigson in his place, because I just don't think this team all the sudden takes the world by storm if we fire our GM mid-season.

So I was thinking back to Luck's first season under Pagano/ Arians and I don't remember Luck having slow starts.  I may be wrong about this (and if I am please correct me) but it seems like the slow starts has been more a product of Pep Hamilton's involvement as opposed to Pagano's.

Now, that's not to say that Pagano isn't culpable as well in failing to prepare his team for their opponents and what not.  But it seems that Pagano is much more involved on the defensive side of the ball as opposed to the offensive side of the ball.

Who out there has better recall than me (I've suffered many a concussion in my time...) that can think back to the 2012 season and see if these slow starts were still an issue?

I don't think Pagano's job should be safe by any means but I would tend to think that Hamilton should be the first to go as he seemingly is the root cause of these slow starts (combined with Luck's poor execution of an already flawed game plan).

Additional thoughts are welcome.

This isn't supposed to be another back Pep threat, more of an analysis of Luck from 2012 under Arians to 2013-present under Hamilton.

More Bourbon!  We came from behind in the 4th quarter 9 times to beat a bunch of bad teams under Arians in year one.

Arians was widely disliked here with his bunched up power game.

The O was mostly Andrew escaping to his left based on which way Castonzo was Always getting beat, then either running or hitting on longer passes that were there because he had made time by getting outside.

Go Colts!