Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Austin Collie!

bWild

This kid worked like a champ all year long. He didn't have the production that reflected kind of the year he had because of where he sat on the depth chart and the lack of good QB play. It wasn't until Dan Orlovsky came on that Collie started to show up, mainly becuse we were running a lot of 2 receiver sets and going 3-and-out pretty regularly early on. When he was in I always kept my eye on him to see where he was from a performance stand point because of the concussions and all. His blocking was on the same level as Reggie, his routes were tight, and he caught most everything that was catchable. Bottom line; when Peyton comes back, I personally think that their chemistry will pick up right where it left off before eaches respective injuries. Do you agree?

Manning LOVES a good slot receiver. First Stokley now Collie. Collie will put up Pro Bowl numbers with Manning healthy (and no concussions).

I personally think Collie is the key to Manning having 2004 type numbers again. Look at what Eli did this year with Victor Cruz. Maybe Peyton gave him a few tips!

Manning LOVES a good slot receiver. First Stokley now Collie. Collie will put up Pro Bowl numbers with Manning healthy (and no concussions).

I personally think Collie is the key to Manning having 2004 type numbers again. Look at what Eli did this year with Victor Cruz. Maybe Peyton gave him a few tips!

Well, let's hope that Manning doesn't lead him into too many bad positions. He led Collie into some monster hits. That concussion has to happen sooner of later.

This yr without peyton manning probably saved collie's career. One year of good rest for his concussion.

True. In that case, I'm fine with his lack of production due to our inept offense. I'd rather have a healthy Collie with poor stats than an injured Collie with great stats.

It seems that the Reggie and Pierre are mostly able to make a catch and protect themselves, while Collie tends to take vicious hits regularly. Is this more of an issue with the nature of the position (slot vs wide receiver) or are Reggie and Pierre just better at protecting themselves?

Of course slot wrs take more hits. Outside wrs are against cornerbacks, while slot receivers are against safties and linebackers which are much stronger. Also the qbs we have this past yr do not have the time and precision to take advantages of slots.

Collie when playing outside in our system is not at all worse than wayne or garcon. Last yr he played garcons position in the denvers game he caught 2tds (right?)

Of course slot wrs take more hits. Outside wrs are against cornerbacks, while slot receivers are against safties and linebackers which are much stronger. Also the qbs we have this past yr do not have the time and precision to take advantages of slots.

Collie when playing outside in our system is not at all worse than wayne or garcon. Last yr he played garcons position in the denvers game he caught 2tds (right?)

yup

even after Gonzo went down he came in and hand a really good game against HOU

I think he was leading the NFL in receptions and yards before his first concussion

It seems that the Reggie and Pierre are mostly able to make a catch and protect themselves, while Collie tends to take vicious hits regularly. Is this more of an issue with the nature of the position (slot vs wide receiver) or are Reggie and Pierre just better at protecting themselves?

Slot receivers catch more passes across the middle than your outside guys. There are more (larger) guys in this area and they love to hit receivers not looking for them coming. It's the QB's responsibility to put the ball in a place to help protect the receiver and I think Collie's concussions were a result of Peyton forcing throws.

Slot receivers catch more passes across the middle than your outside guys. There are more (larger) guys in this area and they love to hit receivers not looking for them coming. It's the QB's responsibility to put the ball in a place to help protect the receiver and I think Collie's concussions were a result of Peyton forcing throws.

Yeah. It seemed to me that Peyton put him in bad situations in 2010. I just didn't know if it was me or of everybody noticed that.

Yeah Collie had a GREAT season. Every time we faced 3rd and 8 or so, I looked for Austin. Seemed like he caught everything in his direction this year! I remember later on in the season (Titans game maybe?) the commentators said that Collie had converted every 3rd down reception to a 1st down to that point. He's got a promising career ahead of him as long as we don't hang him out to dry with a post route into triple coverage.

If he stays out of dodge he'll become the go-to-guy for sure. With Garcon being inconsistent, though much improved, and Wayne and Gonzo's status up in the air, it looks like he may take a good chunk of the workload next season.

True. In that case, I'm fine with his lack of production due to our inept offense. I'd rather have a healthy Collie with poor stats than an injured Collie with great stats.

DY..I agree..

Peyton forces the ball into tight 'windows' and the receiver takes hits..

Danny O and Curtis couldnt do that...

If the pass is badly innacuarte or if the reciever is only thown to when he's wide open..those helmet to helmet hits dont occur..

I would not blame Manning's throws for the hits of the DBs...but in some respects...they are inevitable if he's going to be a top receiver in between the hashmarks

I still worry about Collie....and his health...

..but his last game was his best of the year...and he's certain to have a big year if Manning is 100%