Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Andrew Luck open to adjusting Colts' offensive style

krunk

The coaching staff should be ashamed if they go out there and ask Luck to put this whole thing on his back. Like Dwayne Allen said, spread the football out, get the ball to your playmakerS and run the darn football. This is a team game and a team effort! I promise we can beat them if we stick to this model. Luck makes too many bad decisions when everything is on his back. Let your team mates win the game for you Luck.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm almost certain the coaching staff is looking at things the way I am. Why would you ask a QB coming off a shoulder injury to throw the football 50 times in a game? Their strength is rushing the passer so why on earth would they stand Luck back there and throw up a bunch of balls against that? I will go nuts if I see us come out with this game plan.

We can beat this team. I just don't see them stopping Gore and Bradshaw. There's just too many receiving threats they have to worry about to make a strong commitment of placing a regular safety in the box. They may get arrogant enough to try and defend our run game with a nickel or dime but we will run them out of that. Passing game should be leveraged off of our progress in the run game. I'm expecting Fleener and Allen to play big roles too.

I'm almost certain the coaching staff is looking at things the way I am. Why would you ask a QB coming off a shoulder injury to throw the football 50 times in a game? Their strength is rushing the passer so why on earth would they stand Luck back there and throw up a bunch of balls against that? I will go nuts if I see us come out with this game plan.

I don't think we will see that. We both know the keys to getting a win and hopefully the team can get it done. There is thing that hasn't been brought up much and that is that the patriots do not have a shut down defense and that can be huge if the Colts can control turnovers and TOP.

He needs to be very open to anything that will help us to sustain drives!  That is one of the big things that has killed us in these Patriot match ups.  If we can get the dink and dunk going along with the running game I feel real good about what we can do on those boys.  We need to pull out that Baltimore Ravens offensive blueprint from last years playoffs. Ravens ran the football all over New England along with dinking and dunking.  Problem is the Ravens when they found out they can hit deep they got too greedy and they ended up paying for it.  I'm pretty confident the run game is going to be there for us in this matchup.  They don't play the run that well when they know you have the personnel to burn them deep.

Agree the Ravens love to smack the Patriots right in the mouth , and they do it well. I would love to see the Colts do the same!!

We can beat this team. I just don't see them stopping Gore and Bradshaw. There's just too many receiving threats they have to worry about to make a strong commitment of placing a regular safety in the box. They may get arrogant enough to try and defend our run game with a nickel or dime but we will run them out of that. Passing game should be leveraged off of our progress in the run game. I'm expecting Fleener and Allen to play big roles too.

That would be nice both IMO have been under used!

I disagree. Vontae Davis was a good corner before he came to indy but he has developed his talent way beyond his first four years. The same is true for Mike Adams who at best has been a backup now I have to say mike has consistently made plays for us the last two years and this late in his career has developed his talent beyond prior years. Butler I see little progress with and Toler struggles to stay healthy and I don't see a lot of improvement. Dwight Lowery just 5 games into his Colt career looks like a different player than he was @ Atlanta. lets see how geathers responds in his rookie season.. I expect to see progress from geathers

Butler has been a very good slot corner so I disagree there & Toler when healthy is a good corner who will gamble some but when healthy hes good. Pags can't teach health as no one can. That was the knock on Toler when he came to the Colts!

Pep is NOT a bad play caller,  he's an average play caller.

We couldn't have one of the top offenses in football has we've had the first two years under him if he was bad.

He's very good when the Colts play poor or average teams,   not so good against the best teams,  though, to be fair, in 2013, his first year,  the Colts beat Seattle,  Denver,  San Francisco and KC -- twice.     

So, Pep has some bad games,   some really bad games,  but he's not a bad play caller.

And Trent,  as noted above,  was the ONLY RB built to be an every down back.   

Year One of Bradshaw,  he lasted one game.

Year Two of Bradshaw,  he lasted eight games.

He's been healthy most of this year,  and we could've signed him and we didn't.    There's a reason.    We love him, but he can't stay healthy for 16 games.    We gambled he'd be here this far into the season -- and he is.

I love Bradshaw,  but he's NOT an every down back, which is too bad,  because he's great.

And calling you knew,  is NOT meant as an insult, so don't take it as one.    I've been here since May of 2012.    You seemed to join recently.    I have no other way of knowing what you follow and what you don't.

But Trent has been one of a number of hot topics.    His discussion has been beaten to death.

You dont get it...  if the offense is good it's because of Luck .... If it's bad it's all Pep.  :thinking:

Not sre why everyone is afraid to be a little critical of Luck....  And if everyone would go back and look at Stanford offense when Luck and Pep were there, it looked NOTHING like this offense.

My take on the whole thing is Grigs hired Pep to make Luck feel comfortable, brought in Fleener same reason.....

Pep brought his/Harbaughs offense.....

Grigs has surrounded Luck with some real weapons that he did not have at Stanford.... 

Luck's one knock coming out of college was his arm strength... "he cant throw the deep ball" ....   

He knows the offense as well if not better than Pep, and now that he has been giving the green light to audible.... and he audibles A LOT!..... 

He is just trying to do too much and makes some bad decisions.

Look back to Pep's first yr.  Lots and lots of run and not much deep balls.....  now its the opposite now that Luck feels either more comfortable or like he has to do it all.

I know I rambled

Butler has been a very good slot corner so I disagree there & Toler when healthy is a good corner who will gamble some but when healthy hes good. Pags can't teach health as no one can. That was the knock on Toler when he came to the Colts!

I will stand corrected I slightly misspoke butler has done well when assigned to his regular duties but when asked to play outside he has struggled

Switch between Moncrief and Dorsett in the slot and get the play action game going running out of 11 personnel. I promise we will burn them.

I agree with this and lean 65%-70% on the run through the first half and don't target TY at all eventually theyll get too comfortable on him and then eventually he'll break their back.

You dont get it...  if the offense is good it's because of Luck .... If it's bad it's all Pep.  :thinking:

Not sre why everyone is afraid to be a little critical of Luck....  And if everyone would go back and look at Stanford offense when Luck and Pep were there, it looked NOTHING like this offense.

My take on the whole thing is Grigs hired Pep to make Luck feel comfortable, brought in Fleener same reason.....

Pep brought his/Harbaughs offense.....

Grigs has surrounded Luck with some real weapons that he did not have at Stanford.... 

Luck's one knock coming out of college was his arm strength... "he cant throw the deep ball" ....   

He knows the offense as well if not better than Pep, and now that he has been giving the green light to audible.... and he audibles A LOT!..... 

He is just trying to do too much and makes some bad decisions.

Look back to Pep's first yr.  Lots and lots of run and not much deep balls.....  now its the opposite now that Luck feels either more comfortable or like he has to do it all.

I know I rambled

Nice post,  and you didn't ramble....   at least, not to me.

The difference between Stanford and Indianapolis is you can do lots of things in college that you just can't do in the NFL.

Stanford ran the ball roughly 55-58 percent of the time when Luck was there.      You can't do that in the NFL.     Teams are too good.    Even bad teams are good enough to stop you from running successfully that much.

I never ever want to be thought of as a Luck Homer simply because he's my favorite player.     I try to be as hard on him as I think is reasonable.    I've come to understand that a number of his sacks and hits that he takes are his fault because he holds the ball longer than perhaps most NFL QB's because he's trying so hard to make a play.   Some of that comes from a sense of belief that if he doesn't make a play,   the team is not going to score/win.     I really do think it's that simple.      But he still holds the ball way too damn much.

He often throws late....   both on deep routes and especially on crossing routes.     And he abandons the run too soon.    It was Pagano who DEFENDED Pep after the Buffalo season opener when Pep took heat when we threw almost every play of the 1st half.     Chuck said we called a fair number of runs and Luck called an audible to get  out of the play and into a pass.      Andrew often isn't patient enough. 

I'm sure there are other things that other posters could bring up,  but those are the ones that first come to my mind as I'm writing this post.  

At this point,  I'd like to bring this e-mail to an end.     Jason and Restore have dropped out of the conversation which is not what I wanted.     So going on and on feels like it misses the mark......

Nice post,  and you didn't ramble....   at least, not to me.

The difference between Stanford and Indianapolis is you can do lots of things in college that you just can't do in the NFL.

Stanford ran the ball roughly 55-58 percent of the time when Luck was there.      You can't do that in the NFL.     Teams are too good.    Even bad teams are good enough to stop you from running successfully that much.

I never ever want to be thought of as a Luck Homer simply because he's my favorite player.     I try to be as hard on him as I think is reasonable.    I've come to understand that a number of his sacks and hits that he takes are his fault because he holds the ball longer than perhaps most NFL QB's because he's trying so hard to make a play.   Some of that comes from a sense of belief that if he doesn't make a play,   the team is not going to score/win.     I really do think it's that simple.      But he still holds the ball way too damn much.

He often throws late....   both on deep routes and especially on crossing routes.     And he abandons the run too soon.    It was Pagano who DEFENDED Pep after the Buffalo season opener when Pep took heat when we threw almost every play of the 1st half.     Chuck said we called a fair number of runs and Luck called an audible to get  out of the play and into a pass.      Andrew often isn't patient enough. 

I'm sure there are other things that other posters could bring up,  but those are the ones that first come to my mind as I'm writing this post.  

At this point,  I'd like to bring this e-mail to an end.     Jason and Restore have dropped out of the conversation which is not what I wanted.     So going on and on feels like it misses the mark......

Not really, he is pretty middle of the pack.

Sorry.....   I'm calling nonsense on the idea that you've heard the number of NFL quarterbacks who can't call audibles.

Not happening.

You've heard it lots and lots and lots about COLLEGE quarterbacks,  but not NFL.      Those QB's are few and far between.

You can't get to this level and still have training wheels on.      And those who do,  are typically called back-ups....    career back-ups.

I feel like I'm in the twilight zone.

I feel like I'm in the twilight zone.

Yes....  you and me and Restored too.     We see this very differently.

I don't want to beat a dead horse here....    I'm happy to keep discussing this here,  OR,  discuss it privately between the three of us,  OR drop it altogether....

Whatever you like......

That's not where the league is at today. Running on 1st down with the QB under center is outdated, unfortunately.

The league has gone from that to passing to set up the run.

That's not where the league is at today. Running on 1st down with the QB under center is outdated, unfortunately.

The league has gone from that to passing to set up the run.

Sorry but did you hear me say anything about running on first down?  Even  if that is what you gathered we've done it successfully in all of our games so it must not be too outdated.  Cowboys do it all the time, Falcons run on first down quite a bit.  I don't know what you've been watching but running the football and play action passing has never gone out of style in this league.  Oh there's this guy called Adrian Peterson who would disagree as well.