Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jim Caldwell having trouble in Detroit

RockThatBlue

Everything that went wrong, did. The Onside Kick was a killer to start the 2nd Half. They got that and went down and scored. Freeney's injury really hurt us too, he played great in the 1st Half but couldn't go in the 2nd Half. We held Brees in check until the 2nd Half. When Peyton got up 10-0 or more in any game as a Colt we won over 90% of the time. We were up 10-0 in that one. That should've been Peyton's 2nd Ring right there.

The Colts got to the Super Bowl in 2009 beating up cupcakes. 

That entire season, the one team that nearly beat them was the 10-6 Patriots on a down year. That same Patriots team the Saints beat the living hell out of on MNF. That alone, showed the Saints were the better team. They throttled that Patriots team, while Indy struggled with them and needed a comeback to barely beat them.  

Then in the playoffs, they got lucky not getting San Diego who was 13-3 that year, and got the crappy Jets in the AFCCG, which they struggled with early on.

New Orleans had far more experience that year. Everyone went on how the Colts supposedly were so much more experienced in the Super Bowl despite the fact New Orleans beat up 4 Super Bowl winning quarterbacks prior to the SB (Eli Manning, Tom Brady, Kurt Warner, Brett Favre). 

Indy thought the Saints were just going to roll over and let them beat them after it became 10-0. The Saints in 2009 were a second half team. They let teams have their way in the first half, but they broke out on fire in the second, and mostly the 4th quarter. They led the league in points scored in the 4th. The Colts underestimated the Saints greatly in that game, and probably since they had not played any real competition that year, while the Saints on the other hand survived that Minnesota team, which was arguably the best team that year. 

If there is one QB that truly "deserved" a ring in 2009 that lost to the Saints, it was Brett Favre. He had his best season since 1996 that year, and he played against us so well. I was very disappointed at how Manning played us compared to Favre, cause you could tell Favre wanted that game. The Colts looked like a deer starring in headlights going into the 4th quarter when they realized this team wasn't going to roll over and let them beat them. 

I can't remember the first half, but one thing that stood out to me was Brees' performance. He was like 30/32 or something crazy. Might have even been a perfect QB rating. In particular, everyone in chat was yelling about our soft cover 2 defense and how Brees was throwing it to the inside receiver on curl routes, and the Colts defenders just kept letting Brees do that E-V-E-R-Y time. We gave him everything underneath and did nothing to stop it.

True, Brees had a perfect night. Even if Manning didn't throw the epic pick 6 to seal it, I still think Brees would have marched down the field and won the game. He was on FIRE in the second half. 

The Saints did not do that bad in the first half either. They had two field goals but they were getting it together. One thing I don't think anyone on this forum realizes is the Saints that year beat everyone in the second half. They would let teams do what they wanted early in the game, but when it came time for the second half, and especially the 4th quarter, it was like they turned up everything up to 11 and went off on an encore. The Saints won several games in 2009 on comeback victories where they were trailing most of the game, and going into the 4th they would score gobs of points (Miami, Washington, St Louis, and Atlanta for examples).

Coming back was a not a big deal for them in the SB, since they had come back several times over the season in games that looked like they were going to lose. Against the Dolphins, they came back from a 21-3 route and won that game. That was the game in 2009 that really showed the Saints were a fighting team. 

The Colts got to the Super Bowl in 2009 beating up cupcakes. 

That entire season, the one team that nearly beat them was the 10-6 Patriots on a down year. That same Patriots team the Saints beat the living hell out of on MNF. That alone, showed the Saints were the better team. They throttled that Patriots team, while Indy struggled with them and needed a comeback to barely beat them.  

Then in the playoffs, they got lucky not getting San Diego who was 13-3 that year, and got the crappy Jets in the AFCCG, which they struggled with early on.

New Orleans had far more experience that year. Everyone went on how the Colts supposedly were so much more experienced in the Super Bowl despite the fact New Orleans beat up 4 Super Bowl winning quarterbacks prior to the SB (Eli Manning, Tom Brady, Kurt Warner, Brett Favre). 

Indy thought the Saints were just going to roll over and let them beat them after it became 10-0. The Saints in 2009 were a second half team. They let teams have their way in the first half, but they broke out on fire in the second, and mostly the 4th quarter. They led the league in points scored in the 4th. The Colts underestimated the Saints greatly in that game, and probably since they had not played any real competition that year, while the Saints on the other hand survived that Minnesota team, which was arguably the best team that year. 

If there is one QB that truly "deserved" a ring in 2009 that lost to the Saints, it was Brett Favre. He had his best season since 1996 that year, and he played against us so well. I was very disappointed at how Manning played us compared to Favre, cause you could tell Favre wanted that game. The Colts looked like a deer starring in headlights going into the 4th quarter when they realized this team wasn't going to roll over and let them beat them. 

Good points but the Colts would've probably went 16-0 had they not sit Peyton. They were 14-0 and had the Jets down in game 15. Not really sure how anyone can really say their team is better than basically an undefeated team. I know you are a Saints fan so that is your opinion but I thought the Colts played really uncharacteristically sloppy in the 2nd Half, from the onside kick to the miss FG to the pick 6.

Good points but the Colts would've probably went 16-0 had they not sit Peyton. They were 14-0 and had the Jets down in game 15. Not really sure how anyone can really say their team is better than basically an undefeated team. I know you are a Saints fan so that is your opinion but I thought the Colts played really uncharacteristically sloppy in the 2nd Half, from the onside kick to the miss FG to the pick 6.

I may be a Saints fan, but I don't think any of you watched the Saints in 2009 to realize they were a lot better than they were given credit for going into the SB. We beat 4 Super Bowl winning quarterbacks going into the big one. The Colts nearly went undefeated beating up on crap teams all year, and their own near loss was to the Patriots. The same Patriots the Saints slaughtered a few weeks later. 

Colts almost went 16-0, but so did the Saints. We started 13-0, and then lost to Dallas and Tampa Bay in games were half our starters were missing. They started to truly rest their starters against Dallas since half the defense was sitting out for that game. The other two loses to Tampa and Carolina weren't a big deal. 

The Colts were supposed to roll us. That's what we heard over and over for two weeks straight. "They're lucky to even be there, Manning is going to roll them, it's going to be a blow out". Not even local Saints writers believed in the team, it was actually pathetic in a way how little faith people had in them. 

The Saints were used to playing under the gun down by two scores most of the season. All those comeback wins were clutch, and our defense played so much better in the second half. Colts were outscored 31-7 after they went up by 10 points. That's just how the Saints rolled that year. You got your points early, then had to deal with the fury. That team played with absolute fire in the second half of ball games. I don't think any of you realize how good they were in the second half. The Saints killed teams all year in 2009 by waiting to the second half to explode and go into frenzy. They were a very clutch team that year in the 4th quarter. 

Onside kick and missed field goal aside, I still doubt they win that game even with that, cause they could only score 7 points on us after the half, meanwhile Brees was a machine that night and could not be slowed down. 

I may be a Saints fan, but I don't think any of you watched the Saints in 2009 to realize they were a lot better than they were given credit for going into the SB. We beat 4 Super Bowl winning quarterbacks going into the big one. The Colts nearly went undefeated beating up on crap teams all year, and their own near loss was to the Patriots. The same Patriots the Saints slaughtered a few weeks later. 

Colts almost went 16-0, but so did the Saints. We started 13-0, and then lost to Dallas and Tampa Bay in games were half our starters were missing. They started to truly rest their starters against Dallas since half the defense was sitting out for that game. The other two loses to Tampa and Carolina weren't a big deal. 

The Colts were supposed to roll us. That's what we heard over and over for two weeks straight. "They're lucky to even be there, Manning is going to roll them, it's going to be a blow out". Not even local Saints writers believed in the team, it was actually pathetic in a way how little faith people had in them. 

The Saints were used to playing under the gun down by two scores most of the season. All those comeback wins were clutch, and our defense played so much better in the second half. Colts were outscored 31-7 after they went up by 10 points. That's just how the Saints rolled that year. You got your points early, then had to deal with the fury. That team played with absolute fire in the second half of ball games. I don't think any of you realize how good they were in the second half. The Saints killed teams all year in 2009 by waiting to the second half to explode and go into frenzy. They were a very clutch team that year in the 4th quarter. 

Onside kick and missed field goal aside, I still doubt they win that game even with that, cause they could only score 7 points on us after the half, meanwhile Brees was a machine that night and could not be slowed down. 

I am not trying to diminish your win so I don't want it to come off like that, congrats on it by the way. I just think the Colts were better. Of course they lost but there have been many SB's where the better team didn't win. You guys barely beat the Vikings in the NFC Title Game. Vikings had 5 turnovers and a ton of blunders and it took a FG in OT for you guys to advance. I followed the Saints a lot that season because both they and the Colts stayed undefeated for most of the season. Saints were great too and I know they were.

Hey I like your new avatar....FIERY....nice one Bogie

Why does his facial expression bother so many people? That's a serious question.

As for him "having trouble in Detroit", I don't see why. The Lions really have not played that badly. The Lions have not played worse than the Saints, the Colts, the Eagles, or the Dolphins (all teams that most people expected to make the playoffs). Why single out the Lions?

Lighten up. This section of the board is for NFL topics but it is still on a Colts board. Colts fan get the joke, because we lived it.

They single the Lions out because most Colts fans hate Jim Caldwell because he doesn't crap his pants from anger during games, thus remaining stoic.

You call it stoic. Others call it lost, confused, completely out of his league, and so on.

Go with what you think though. If it works for you then use it.

No one has success in Detroit. Not even with Barry Frickin Sanders.

Its not because of Jim.

Jim didnt lose that game yesterday.

We play the Jags, tenn, and houston.

They play the packers, bears, and vikings. Every year at least 2 of those 3 are prett good.

We are "spotted" 6 games a year(it seems) while they battle teams that are much, much better.... In the elements. Our outside road are tenn and florida. Theirs is a cold, brutal lambo and soldier field.

Lions arent as vad as record. They are struggling like us.

This is where Jim Caldwell's lack of emotion will be his downfall. When coaches start the season like this, players and fans look to the head coach for leadership and to light a fire under them. Problem is Caldwell can't contort his face to form anything more than a neutral expression. It doesn't matter who lost that last game. Jim Caldwell is now on the defensive to have to rally his troops, and that is NOT Jim Caldwell's expertise.