Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

What's behind Lucks decision making?

AllYouNeedIsLuck

Wait, Are you talking about the 1st int intended for Hilton at 9:51 of 3rd quarter or 2nd at 7:01 3rd quarter? The first int Coby stayed into block(Or perhaps just got swallowed up looks more like it) which is the one Luck had made the decision to throw to Hilton prior to Gore going into his route. The 2nd int Fleener ran out into the flat but I thought was pretty well covered.

Sorry, I was talking about the incomplete to TY in the fourth.  Go route on 2nd. and 1.  Gore was wide open underneath and could have gone for big yards.  No biggie now, but had that ball been picked, it could have been.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

People seem to forget we went through these same problems with Manning. Luck will bounce back. We just need to get him in a rythm with the run and short passes. Don't have to score on every throw. Be smart with the ball. Get out of the pocket and throw it away, take the sack of need be. Just stop forcing the ball!

1.3 seconds.

Which is my random guess as to the average time he has to make a decision (go through his progressions) and release before being utterly destroyed. 

We want to complain about him, yet ignore that most QB's taking that kind of punishment would be in street clothes half the time? The kind of heat he's taking causes errant throws even when he's not particularly pressured on that given play. It's called being 'gun shy'. He's still hearing the report of hits he took 6 plays ago.

This O-line needs serious money thrown at it, big money for proven linemen.... and it needs to happen asap. 

I don't think his pre-snap reads and keys are on or near the level of the top qb's.

He's waiting for the play to develop and then decide where to throw. Part of the reason his passes are delivered late.

He may have photographic memory and can remember a formation and verbiage from a play in highschool BUT it looks like he's not reading defenses that well.

I think he needs improved qb coaching on reading defenses and tinker a bit with his throwing motion because his accuracy can also use some improvement.

He puts too much of the burden on his own back forgetting the ten other players. He is too Mr. Nice Guy. Ever notice Tom Brady when he hits the field he has his fists clenched and gives out a scream. I like that and I do not believe it is for show and judging from his record I know it is not for show. 

Trying to read through all of this, and the number of guys throwing Luck completely under the bus almost astounds me.

For me, the biggest problem with all of this is mostly playcalling.  I can't recall the number of times, but it seemed quite often that the pocket was collapsing and Luck is looking for a check down and the receivers are all 15+ yards up the field.  An out of position defender still has time to recover when the ball has to travel that distance.  Few and far between is the time we have a relief option when pressure is mounting.

My biggest thing here is that check down options keep defenses honest.  You can't send 6+ guys at the QB if he is constantly hitting his check down and gaining 5-10 yards.  Eventually you have to back off and cover the check down, thereby reducing the number of guys in deep coverage or coming at you on a blitz, which either gets deep receivers to come open or more time for a receiver to get open period.  But instead, we either have 6+ guys trying to block their 6+ guys while 4 receivers head way down field, or we telegraph a run formation with a heavy set.

We need to figure out what a check down receiver is.  When we did this last game, we moved the ball.  And with Doyle who is no world beater but simply a smart player we did a lot of just that.

My other issue is that Johnson seems completely lost.  He needs to be option #4 until he gets it figured out, but at this point he was supposed to be our Wayne replacement and appears to be even less of a weapon than Hakeem Nicks.  I'd almost dare say that we need more Whalen as that checkdown/Welker type of receiver to get Luck more comfortable, but that would be admitting completely whiffing on signing Johnson.  At this point, suffice it say, Johnson seems to be a complete swing and miss by Grigson.

And lastly, we really need to get our TEs involved.  Fleener was something of a weapon last year.  This year he is an after thought because of the 'high power' offense we have in Johnson, Dorsett, etc.

And our defense?  I give them a pass until we actually get to a game where they are on the field for 30 minutes or less.  They look good to me, but they can't possibly last with the amount of times we go three and out early in the game... which brings me back to check downs and moving the chains.