Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts extend LT Anthony Castonzo (updated)

Everyone

Seems a little high to me.  That is what Ryan Clady is getting and ties him for #4 highest paid left tackle.  Granted Castonzo hasn't had the injury issues but I don't think Clady had them when he signed his deal either.  

Castanzo's a solid left tackle but #4??  I see him as MAYBE top 10.  But not top 5.  

Too much if you ask me.  It'd put his value in APY at closer to 8.5 Mil to 9 Mil.

You can't really look at current contracts for comparisons.  Several people said Vontaes was too high as well, now it looks more than reasonable. AC is as solid as you can get for a LT and they're hard to find, when you do you keep him.

Seems a little high to me.  That is what Ryan Clady is getting and ties him for #4 highest paid left tackle.  Granted Castonzo hasn't had the injury issues but I don't think Clady had them when he signed his deal either.  

Castanzo's a solid left tackle but #4??  I see him as MAYBE top 10.  But not top 5.  

Too much if you ask me.  It'd put his value in APY at closer to 8.5 Mil to 9 Mil.

So you're ok with paying him 9 per, but 10.5 per is too much?  You're going to quibble over $1.5 mil per year for what's arguably the 2nd most important position on offense?  :facepalm:

You can't really look at current contracts for comparisons.  Several people said Vontaes was too high as well, now it looks more than reasonable. AC is as solid as you can get for a LT and they're hard to find, when you do you keep him.

Vontae's was never too high because he's a top 5 CB and got top 5 money.

After deals by Revis, Peterson (who isn't a top 30 CB if you ask me) and Sherman then his deal looks cheap.

Nate Solder just got $10M a year and we're going to pay AC more?  

So you're ok with paying him 9 per, but 10.5 per is too much?  You're going to quibble over $1.5 mil per year for what's arguably the 2nd most important position on offense?  :facepalm:

You save as much as you can.

If you take that approach with every contract then 1 million here, 1.5 million there, pretty soon you are talking about real money.

Vontae's was never too high because he's a top 5 CB and got top 5 money.

After deals by Revis, Peterson (who isn't a top 30 CB if you ask me) and Sherman then his deal looks cheap.

Nate Solder just got $10M a year and we're going to pay AC more?  

AC is better than Solder so it makes sense to pay him more. And yes, there were a lot of people that said Davis was being paid too much. ACs contract will look like cheap next season, book it.

You save as much as you can.

If you take that approach with every contract then 1 million here, 1.5 million there, pretty soon you are talking about real money.

Do you think Grigson does not try to get the best possible deal that he can for the team?  Do you think the player says, "I'll play for XX amount" and Grigson just decides to say, "Hey, let's go ahead and throw another mil per year on top of that!" ?  

Sometimes getting the cornerstone of your offensive line signed for the foreseeable future is more important than saving a mil per year, especially considering how the salary cap keeps going up.

BTW I'm not sure if it's been posted on here or not but several sources are reporting this as a done deal.  Some are reporting it as 4 years - 42 Mil and some are reporting it as 4 years - 43 mil.

On here it just sounded like it was being finished up.  

When you lock a player up for the best years of his prime , you are , no doubt , 100% of the time pay the top of his market. If Castonzo's contract was up and he was coming off a so so year , your number of 9 mill or a little more would probably work.Especially if there were 3-4 other LT FA players on the market.  Not the case at all here .

Looks like this contract is a little closer to 11 than 10.5 which makes sense considering what Solder was paid. Castonzo was tons better in pass protection than Solder. 

Sounds like a little more than that but 11 mill was the number we talked about earlier and that IMO is right on. 

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/13625450/indianapolis-colts-anthony-castonzo-agreement-extension

Four years, $43.6m, as it turns out. $10.9m/year. Still waiting for details, particularly to see if they adjusted his 2015 cap number. But really, it's five years, $51m. Good contract.

BTW I'm not sure if it's been posted on here or not but several sources are reporting this as a done deal.  Some are reporting it as 4 years - 42 Mil and some are reporting it as 4 years - 43 mil.

On here it just sounded like it was being finished up.  

It was finished last night.    The Colts posted a story about the deal at 9:34 last night East Coast time,  6:34 West Coast time.

Done deal.    And a good deal for both sides.

That would be his CURRENT value.   The thing of it is,  the deal will last into the next CBA where the cap is going to go WAY up and contracts will follow accordingly.     So,  AC did a contract that reflects current value and future value.

No way around it.    That's what top players (and their agents) are doing.

Also....  AC is only getting this kind of money now because his contract came up.   When other top tackles reach their turn,  they'll leap-frog over AC.

That's how Eli Manning gets a huge deal now even if some think he's on the downside of his career.

It was just his turn.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/13625450/indianapolis-colts-anthony-castonzo-agreement-extension

Four years, $43.6m, as it turns out. $10.9m/year. Still waiting for details, particularly to see if they adjusted his 2015 cap number. But really, it's five years, $51m. Good contract.

Yeah .. IMO a fair deal. If Castonzo has a good 2015 and the FA 2016 market was thin , he could have named his deal next year. 

Look at Trent Williams' deal. AC comes in way under that. I have no problems with doing this.

I just did look at that deal and I'm shocked they paid that kind of money ... 41 mill guaranteed .. wow !!!  Plus Grigson is protecting Andrew Luck , which gives him a little less leverage in dealing with a LT.

I just did look at that deal and I'm shocked they paid that kind of money ... 41 mill guaranteed .. wow !!!  Plus Grigson is protecting Andrew Luck , which gives him a little less leverage in dealing with a LT.

Only $30m initially guaranteed. The other $11m doesn't go guaranteed until 2017. It might be guaranteed for injury in the meantime, but I don't see that stipulated. 

It's a big number, but he's been an anchor on this line for a number of years and has consistently played at a high level. He's largely been injury free throughout his career which is a testament to the work he puts into training and conditioning. It's always nice to retain top talent with a lower cap hit, but I see nothing but positives here.

You're right, it's too much. Should have let him walked. Top class LTs can rather easily be drafted or found in FA at 8-9 Mil APY.