Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Scouting Profile: Derrick Henry, RB, Alabama

hi-res-460251351-derrick-henry-of-the-al

Games watched: vs Ohio State, vs Florida

Size: 6'3" 242 lbs. Saying Henry is a big runningback would be an understatement. He's a giant with a powerful build to absorb contact. Unfortunately, being that tall is often more of a hindrance than an advantage. Being 6'3" severely limits the amount of leverage Henry can get. He's also very heavy and will likely be made to drop weight in the NFL, likely to around 230 lbs. My personal preference size for a RB is 5'10" 227 lbs, and Henry far exceeds both of those, and I don't think that's necessarily a good thing. (3/5)

Athleticism: Henry's long speed is adequate, though he's definitely a guy that needs to build up a head of steam to really get going; acceleration ins't good. Henry does show the ability to make nice cuts and stop on a dime. I would describe is agility as above average. When he builds up his speed, he's virtually unstoppable, but he's not that quick out of the gate. (6/10)

Vision: To me, Henry looks a lot more comfortable when he's following a lead blocker. Henry shows a natural feel for cut-back lanes and subtle movements in the box to help him maximize yardage. But he can often times be caught trying to do too much behind the LOS, when he should just be running forward. Good feel for outside the tackle running. Takes smart angles. (7/10)

3rd down ability (Pass Blocking and Receiving): Henry no doubt has the size to be an elite pass blocker, but he's not a finished product there. All college RBs suck at pass protection so I'm not going to hold it against him. He takes bad angles to edge defenders and is often late and slow to recover. (2/5) As for receiving, Henry seems to have natural hands. No drops, and no body catches. Even gets a ton of YAC as well. But, didn't get many opportunities. (4/5) So that's a (6/10)

Balance: Elite balance. Absorbs hit's and keeps going. Rarely looses his footing and falls over. Very sturdy player. Brushes off arm tackles. (8/10)

Physicality: Power is Henry's strongest trait. He pinballs off of would be tacklers and can make opposing linebackers pay with his size. Always falls forward and deals out more punishment that he takes. I'd like him to use that power more though. Powerful stiff-arm. Leaves behind a trail of broken bodies. (8/10)

Improvisation: In addition to his power game, Henry can run with a good deal amount of finesse. His ability to juke defenders in addition to his ability as a finisher helps him squeeze out the maximum amount of yardage possible. Uses defenders momentum against them. Just as much an east-west runner as he is a north-south runner. (7/10)

Ball Control: Didn't fumble in the 2 games I watched. I don't have his fumble stats either. So i'm not going to give a grade. (NA/5)

GIFs: 

25 yard TD Run: http://zippy.gfycat.com/GraveHandsomeJunebug.webm

Agility + Balance = yards after the catch: http://zippy.gfycat.com/EnormousLimpChick.webm

Nice cutback: http://zippy.gfycat.com/AltruisticCheerfulBighornsheep.webm

Pin alls his way for extra yardage: http://fat.gfycat.com/SlimHardGnat.webm

Huge gain on a screen: http://fat.gfycat.com/RashRashCanadagoose.webm

Conclusion: 

Henry grades at 45/65. A 2nd round pick. 

Henry is a freakishly large, freakishly strong runningback with above average vision. He has a good mix of power and finesse and can be a bell-cow runninback in the NFL.  He'll need to work on his pass protection if he ever hopes to be a 3-down player. 

NFL Comparison: Legarrette Blount

Good analysis as usual Dustin, Though only thing I disagree on is hit cuts, He looks to me at times to hesitate before he cuts a bit much. He shows power but I don't think he is Josh Robinson(for example) in that category either

Sounds like he could be a bit like Jerome Bettis as well. Nice analysis, and I'll remember the name when the draft rolls around next year. This is why I have mad respect for you!

He doesn't have anywhere near the short, choppy steps that The Bus had. Much longer stride. Better speed, worse in traffic.

• 3 weeks later...

Good read.  I actually did research on the guy for my devy draft (which by the way, I picked up both him and Leonard Fournette).  One thing about taller RBs like Henry is that, it's not so much that being tall means they can't have good leverage running between the guards.  It makes it harder, but running with good pad level can be coached, even for 6-3 guys.  And there's no question guys that tall can succeed, a la Erik Dickerson and, mroe recently, Eddie George.  I agree that height should give teams pause, though.  The real problem with having RBs that tall is that there is more surface area of the leg to hit, and as a result, their careers or seasons get cut short.  Eddie George admitted to being pretty banged up before he retired.  When Dickerson hit 30, he was done for all intents and purposes.  So if he's a guy that you think you can get 2 full contracts out of, and provided he improves on the more coachable aspects (because to me, he does the uncoachable traits well, work ethic, speed/agility, and field vision should it translate well to NFL speeds), he could be a top running back in the NFL for 6-8 years, maybe 8-10 if he's not taking 300 carries a year.

• 1 month later...

When I read he was 6'2" it gave me pause. That's not a RB at the next level. Plus Alabama is known for making their RBs look better than they are. The holes won't be as big in the NFL unless he goes to a team like the Cowboys.

He could be a good FB though, or maybe a Legarette Blount type of back.

When I read he was 6'2" it gave me pause. That's not a RB at the next level. Plus Alabama is known for making their RBs look better than they are. The holes won't be as big in the NFL unless he goes to a team like the Cowboys.

He could be a good FB though, or maybe a Legarette Blount type of back.

Blount is who he reminds me of as well.