Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

What's Really Going On With Gonzo?

Dtman513

Anthony Gonzalez has been suiting up for the past couple of games.

He's not inactive

Why isn't he playing? Jerry Hughes has more playing time than he does this season....

Well if you can find an answer to that question please post it. I have been wondering this all season long. The other night I think he might have been in the game maybe 1 or 2 plays if I'm not mistaken but then no more. If I'm wrong please correct me. It's been so long since he has been a player I may be mistaken on this. :neener:

IMO, either the FO or Caldwell has had their ego bruised and is being a child about how they are handling player moves. First we cut Tryon, which appeared to have more talent than some of the other guys we kept but he talked out. Now we have seen Gonzo, who has spoken out in the past and he can't seem to get any playing time at all. Someone just is being a dick on the team and maybe trying to show who has all the power. Gonzo has said many times, he is 100% so I don't believe he is hurt, its a coaching or vice prez issue IMO.

I think he's been having a nagging groin injury all season long. Man, if only he could stay healthy, this dude had through the roof potential. He probably won't be back in Indy next year

Agreed. I had visions of Welker when he was drafted. Tough break for that fella.

I do not understand what is going on. We are 2 and 13 and I thought we was in an evaluation period for them for next year, why wouldn't you evaluate your players. We need to know about Gonzo. Why would we keep him activated and not play him. I also think the dice has been rolled on his career as a Colt. He is done, he will go some place else next year. It is a shame and it is one of the many things that has put this team in the position they are in now. It is and has always been a problem dealing with the players. I really think Polian has something to do with it. What bothers me is that we did the same thing with Brown until we needed him to play and look how he has responded. I also wonder the same thing with Hughes, could he be better if he played and was not in the dog house all the time. It is a yime of evaluatiuon so lets evaluate now not when some of these guys, Gonzo, Hughes, or anyone else is playing for someone else. By the way how is Tryon and hayden doing? Gonzo needs to play.

I agree on the wasted pick, i think we have enough recievers on the team. I know we have to start getting younger, and i know we have some free agents but I also feel we have some more pressing needs than wide reciever. But that is the trend now a days, load up on the offense and the best defense is to out score the other team, It is not important now a days to have a great defense. The Plan now a days is to have the best scoring offense. That is whay we will try to get better on the O and woryy about just having a defense that can cover the red zone. So we will cut bait and try to load up with better even though we have some of the more important offensive positions filled, ie, wide reciever

I have a feeling draft picks are going to be wasted on unnecessary positions.

If they're foolish enough to ditch Wayne, then unfortunately we're going to need a WR.

The thing with Hughes really messed up the rhythm that Polian was trying to establish. I imagine some recovery effort will be made in that department as well. And of course theres the secondary....

Anthony Gonzalez has been suiting up for the past couple of games.

He's not inactive

Why isn't he playing? Jerry Hughes has more playing time than he does this season....

If Gonzo, Addai, Diem, and a few other are "retained" ... I will get pizzed. This Org. has talked about "culture" for a long time. the "Culture" of getting a ride because of injury NEEDS to Change.

If you can't get on the field ..... Then U need to be bye bye...

Period. this team is in transition,... it can be very smooth or the Org. could make it very ........cumbersome.

If they're foolish enough to ditch Wayne, then unfortunately we're going to need a WR.

The thing with Hughes really messed up the rhythm that Polian was trying to establish. I imagine some recovery effort will be made in that department as well. And of course theres the secondary....

Isn't that up to Wayne if Manning is to return? I mean seriously.... Peyton is due to "CRIPPLE" this team if he is retained. It means NO FA activity whatsoever.

And most likely... not bringing our own back.

darn I can't wait to see how this soap opera concludes.....

If peyton returns it is business as usual. Unbelieveable we could think that Peyton would be bad for us. We are going to get new blood for the team and finally it will not be the bottom of the barrel as we have in the past 12 years. Anyway what has given you the idea we would go out and buy free agents now? we haven't done it yet and I do not think you can teach an old dog(Polian) any new tricks. although I would loike to see it

Peyton cripple us? Peyton returning is the best thing.

OK.... lets see "who" this team keeps via FA If Peyton is retained. It will be "NO ONE" unless the "position player" wants to take A "HOME TOWN DISCOUNT" ...

Don't kid your selves.... Peyton's cap hit if kept will be a third of the teams cap money.

That said ........ I am, fine with it... :coltslogo:

If peyton returns it is business as usual. Unbelieveable we could think that Peyton would be bad for us. We are going to get new blood for the team and finally it will not be the bottom of the barrel as we have in the past 12 years. Anyway what has given you the idea we would go out and buy free agents now? we haven't done it yet and I do not think you can teach an old dog(Polian) any new tricks. although I would loike to see it

Manning healthy... I would think he restructures his contract.

Isn't that up to Wayne if Manning is to return? I mean seriously.... Peyton is due to "CRIPPLE" this team if he is retained. It means NO FA activity whatsoever.

The salary cap is going to handcuff just about every team this year. People who think these free agents are going to get these huge deals and moving to new teams are in for a surprise. Most of them will be back with their original teams for less money than they'd hoped.

....and while we are at it the sky will also fall. Even though our FO has not been steller, it has done a couple of things right for atleast 12 straight years. give them a little credit, even if it is a little, and I'm sure we are not going to be in salary cap pergatory if peyton is on board. He wants another ring and I'm sure he will do what is nessecary. Anyway, when are we going to see Gonzo anyway?

The salary cap is going to handcuff just about every team this year. People who think these free agents are going to get these huge deals and moving to new teams are in for a surprise. Most of them will be back with their original teams for less money than they'd hoped.

While PM stashes 35million in his back pocket.

just saying...

While PM stashes 35million in his back pocket.

just saying...

Why the resentment for one of the best players in the history of the sport? Peyton has never been paid one cent more than he is worth. Complaining about his salary is akin to saying that you simply don't want this team to have a top QB. Boring and counterproductive considering that he is already here and that the league requires a top QB to have any measure of success now-a-days. But just for arguments sake, what exactly do you want to see happen? Do you want Peyton gone so they can free up some cash to - I don't know - sign Albert Haynesworth for 10 times what he is worth? I PROMISE you that ANY free agent that comes here is going to be overpaid. That's how free agency works, and it's NOT how you build successful teams.

To the original question, I've read that Gonzo has had nagging injuries all year. They haven't played him because they don't need him to push himself past injury (and risk worsening it) in a year where there are three other healthy receivers and fewer passes being thrown. They know what he can do, and he has tons of talent. To those of you who expect him dropped like a stone at the end of the year, I suggest that if he manages to stay healthy he may actually be Reggie's replacement. IF he is healthy, why invest another high draft pick at WR when there is one sitting on the bench. There are too many other areas that need help, and it's way too early to see how this will play out. Personally I think that tight end is a bigger concern.

Why the resentment for one of the best players in the history of the sport? Peyton has never been paid one cent more than he is worth. Complaining about his salary is akin to saying that you simply don't want this team to have a top QB. Boring and counterproductive considering that he is already here and that the league requires a top QB to have any measure of success now-a-days. But just for arguments sake, what exactly do you want to see happen? Do you want Peyton gone so they can free up some cash to - I don't know - sign Albert Haynesworth for 10 times what he is worth? I PROMISE you that ANY free agent that comes here is going to be overpaid. That's how free agency works, and it's NOT how you build successful teams.

To the original question, I've read that Gonzo has had nagging injuries all year. They haven't played him because they don't need him to push himself past injury (and risk worsening it) in a year where there are three other healthy receivers and fewer passes being thrown. They know what he can do, and he has tons of talent. To those of you who expect him dropped like a stone at the end of the year, I suggest that if he manages to stay healthy he may actually be Reggie's replacement. IF he is healthy, why invest another high draft pick at WR when there is one sitting on the bench. There are too many other areas that need help, and it's way too early to see how this will play out. Personally I think that tight end is a bigger concern.

"resentment"... ??? how about ....... Reality?

This league is a business after all right? Manning has played "zero" downs in the last year and a half.

Look here ... I do want him.... but not at the expense of the franchise. ....

I totally see PM redoing his deal ...

He still here, another cut- Hughes playing more so Polian can justify drafting that bust

that has already been answered by pollian himself... look for the dan dakich tape from last week with bill pollian...he bassically said, that the reason they havent cut is not becaus eof ego, but because the penalty for cutting a 1st round pick under the old system (you know before there was a salary cap for rookies) was too high, and it would have cost us to probablyu release some other 1 or 2 players on special teams. he didnt see the bennefit of it so the colts kept him.

I mean seriously.... Peyton is due to "CRIPPLE" this team if he is retained. It means NO FA activity whatsoever.

I used the word resentment because of the "cripple" comment. Semantics. Having the best QB in the league at a league standard price (no worse a cap hit than Brady, etc) isn't worthy of the word cripple. It's a business transaction that ANY team in the league would gladly have made.

FA activity is tertiary (at best) in the process of building a successful franchise. It's all about drafting, and "bringing our own back" if they are worth it and if you haven't drafted a replacement. I'm also looking forward to the swift conclusion of this soap opera, it's just that I don't consider Peyton to be the problem, but rather the solution (unless he can't play, in which case we are in rebuilding mode with plenty of money to spare). He owes us nothing other than to continue to work as hard as possible to honor his contract and win football games (and by the way, he ALREADY gave a home town discount. He could have easily commanded SEVERAL million dollars per year more).

This league is a business after all right? Manning has played "zero" downs in the last year and a half.

I totally see PM redoing his deal ...

I am really trying to figure out what you mean here. Peyton played all last year. So, it's been under a year since he played. He might restructure his deal, so Wayne will stay, but he's worth everything he is paid if he's healthy. We're talking about the player who COULD have been the highest paid player ever. Instead he took less to make sure other players could be kept!