Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Lots of Interesting Talent Available

I am a little surprised by the guys who are still available. As tempting as it may be to trade up, we may end up with some intriguing talent falling to us. 

Among some of the available talent to catch my eye: 

Eric Kendricks LB UCLA: seems like a steal in the 2nd round

Jake Fisher OT Oregon: versatile lineman, could start at guard or tackle

Eddie Goldman DT Florida State: upgrade for the line, I feel much better taking him in the 2nd than 1st

Landon Collins S Alabama: better value in the 2nd round

TJ Clemmings OT Pitt: player who needs to sit for a year to learn and grow, great depth

AJ Cann OG South Carolina: not the type of versatile lineman Grigson goes for, but top guard prospect

Ronald Darby CB Florida State: on the shorter side, but fast with great cover skills

Randy Gregory DE Nebraska: are you scared off by his weed issues? 

Owa Odighizuwa DE UCLA: great athleticism, a little raw, uncertain about fit in our D

Bernadrick McKinney LB Mississippi State: at one time many liked him to Colts in first. 

These are all guys we would likely have to trade up for. 

What about La'el Collins with our second round pick? I have no clue how much information teams do or do not have. However, he is a top 15 talent before the incident. If we felt good about his character and moral center beforehand, and if you believe he has nothing to do with this heinous act, why not use a 2nd round pick on the guy? He would represent a TREMENDOUS upgrade to the offensive line. I think Collins is an All-Pro guard. 

Take Collins in the 2nd and Daryl Williams OT Oklahoma in the 3rd and the offensive line is all of a sudden a strength. 

Protecting Luck should always be priority #1. 

I hope Grigson takes a chance and trade up for Randy Gregory. I know he have red flags but the reward to risk ratio could be a steal. Standing at 6'6 240 lbs, Randy can be a monster on the opposite end of Mathis. Let Mathis mentor this kid. I know the Colts is one of the right organization that could keep this kid in check. 

The player that intrigues me the most is Eddie Goldman. I am most concerned about our defensive line and stopping the run, but I am uncertain if he is the answer. I have read that he is lazy and has a poor work ethic. I have also read that he wasn't pushed hard at Florida State. 

Gregory is intriguing. He is from Indiana so it could be a good fit as far as being in a good environment. 

I also like the potential of Eric Rowe as a safety. 

I don't see any of the big names like goldman or kendricks falling to us. I'm surprised they made it out of the first round. McKinney will probably be there. Carl Davis and Jordan Phillips might be available. I'd like to see us take Adrian Amos in the third. I think safeties are going to go fast and we will have to reach a little. Might have to reach to Geathers in the 4th but that might be to much. I kind of hope we make a play to jump into the second round and grab another pick and maybe grab Coleman or maybe a big name left on the board.

I am a little surprised by the guys who are still available. As tempting as it may be to trade up, we may end up with some intriguing talent falling to us. 

Among some of the available talent to catch my eye: 

Eric Kendricks LB UCLA: seems like a steal in the 2nd round

Jake Fisher OT Oregon: versatile lineman, could start at guard or tackle

Eddie Goldman DT Florida State: upgrade for the line, I feel much better taking him in the 2nd than 1st

Landon Collins S Alabama: better value in the 2nd round

TJ Clemmings OT Pitt: player who needs to sit for a year to learn and grow, great depth

AJ Cann OG South Carolina: not the type of versatile lineman Grigson goes for, but top guard prospect

Ronald Darby CB Florida State: on the shorter side, but fast with great cover skills

Randy Gregory DE Nebraska: are you scared off by his weed issues? 

Owa Odighizuwa DE UCLA: great athleticism, a little raw, uncertain about fit in our D

Bernadrick McKinney LB Mississippi State: at one time many liked him to Colts in first. 

These are all guys we would likely have to trade up for. 

What about La'el Collins with our second round pick? I have no clue how much information teams do or do not have. However, he is a top 15 talent before the incident. If we felt good about his character and moral center beforehand, and if you believe he has nothing to do with this heinous act, why not use a 2nd round pick on the guy? He would represent a TREMENDOUS upgrade to the offensive line. I think Collins is an All-Pro guard. 

Take Collins in the 2nd and Daryl Williams OT Oklahoma in the 3rd and the offensive line is all of a sudden a strength. 

Protecting Luck should always be priority #1. 

Unfortunately,  we pick 29th in every round.

I would expect most of the players you just listed to be long gone by the time our pick comes around.....

Tonight should be very, very interesting to see how it all unfolds....

Yeah sure, but how are we gonna get up that far to get one of those guys? We'd have to trade up no doubt. But Grigs is dumb enough to stay there and take TJ Yeldon and say he was the best player on the board and it wasn't even close.

I want Quentin Rollins or Jordan Phillips. None of these guys are falling to 29.

Nope. All the more reason Grigson should have pounced on one of them at 29. Collins will be the next safety off the board, and Goldman should be the first D-lineman gone. If any of the defensive players we passed over from 29-61 become great pros then I'm going to have a hard time believing in Grigson at all.

Nope. All the more reason Grigson should have pounced on one of them at 29. Collins will be the next safety off the board, and Goldman should be the first D-lineman gone. If any of the defensive players we passed over from 29-61 become great pros then I'm going to have a hard time believing in Grigson at all.

I already don't believe in him. If it wasn't for having Andrew Luck, Grigson would already be gone.

What if we traded next seasons first to grab Goldman? I hate mortgaging the future but it'd pretty much be like trading a future first for a current first. We'd have to throw another pick in probably.

I hope Grigson takes a chance and trade up for Randy Gregory. I know he have red flags but the reward to risk ratio could be a steal. Standing at 6'6 240 lbs, Randy can be a monster on the opposite end of Mathis. Let Mathis mentor this kid. I know the Colts is one of the right organization that could keep this kid in check. 

Maybe.  The first question that Grigs and Pagano ask about OLB is "Can they set the edge?" 

I haven't watched a ton of Gregory, but Gruden was dumping on him hard about his run defending.

The couple of clips I saw of Gregory that Gruden showed he was awful against the run so I'm going

to assume Gregory is not that high on their list.  They'd probably take Nate Orchard before they took him I think .

I think there is plenty of defensive talent available in the 2nd so there's no need to reach.  However I think that none of them short of maybe Perryman or Kendricks will pop on tape more than Duke Johnson or Tevin Coleman. If either one of them is around when we pick I think Grigs will go that route.  Yes the forum will melt again, but I'm sure we'll get all our needs met when it's all said and done.

How about taking La'el Collins in the 6th round if still available.  If he is cleared with any wrong doing in the case, we get a superb tackle at a steal.  Also we should focus on getting either of these:

Eddie Goldman DT Landon Collins S or Randy Gregory DE

I'm done believing in him now his drafts are just god awful and his FA aren't to great either. He goes to much for quantity over quality in FA and just ignores the D in the first three rounds of the draft.

What if we traded next seasons first to grab Goldman? I hate mortgaging the future but it'd pretty much be like trading a future first for a current first. We'd have to throw another pick in probably.

that is definitely a Ryan Grigson type trade. He just loves wasting 1st rounders

I think there is plenty of defensive talent available in the 2nd so there's no need to reach. However I think that none of them short of maybe Perryman or Kendricks will pop on tape more than Duke Johnson or Tevin Coleman. If either one of them is around when we pick I think Grigs will go that route. Yes the forum will melt again, but I'm sure we'll get all our needs met when it's all said and done.

dear god we can only hope he isn't stupid enough to go WR and RB in rounds 1 and 2....

Great players get passed on every year. It's the nature of the beast. The best player at a certain position might not even get picked till day 3, you just never know. Same thing with Malcom Brown. What if he turns out to be a real good player? So what. What if Dorsett becomes a real good player? Doesn't matter. As long as Grigson thinks he knows what he's doing and we keep winning games and at least have a chance to make the super bowl we as a fan base should be happy. Us Colts fans have been spoiled rotten for the past 15 years. I hate the patriots as much as the next Colts fan, but a fan base should show more faith in their FO, even if they make some questionable decisions. Green Bay, New England, Baltimore, etc. all make questionable decisions as well.

Colts will make the playoffs without a doubt! Dorsett will be a great player I don't doubt that either. But what I really doubt is that this strategy will bring us into a Super Bowl, because similar to the Manning years Colts will suffer because of an unbalanced team that is loaded with offensive weapons but lacks talent on the defensive side. 

dear god we can only hope he isn't stupid enough to go WR and RB in rounds 1 and 2....

It's not like that.  With each draft pick he asks the question "Who is the best play maker available at this pick?"

If there is someone available who is a head and shoulders playmaker above our needs then he takes that player.  If the

BPA is about even with our needs then he is going to select for our needs.  So if he does select a RB it will be because

that player is head and shoulders above any of the players that fit our needs for that pick.  I like what he's doing because

he's ensuring that we get quality football players on the team.   

It's not like that. With each draft pick he asks the question "Who is the best play maker available at this pick?"

If there is someone available who is a head and shoulders playmaker above our needs then he takes that player. If the

BPA is about even with our needs then he is going to select for our needs. So if he does select a RB it will be because

that player is head and shoulders above any of the players that fit our needs for that pick. I like what he's doing because

he's ensuring that we get quality football players on the team.

see I'm not buying this your telling me Dorsett who will prolly be a 6th option on offense is a better pick then Kendricks who is prolly better then both our starting ILBs Jalen Collins who could be groomed to takeover for Toler or even start if he were to get injured Landon Collins who is more then likely a starter next to Adams and Jordan Phillips who IMO is better then an old Langford everyone I've listed would have been a bigger playmaker on our team starting this season Dorsett has to pass Andre TY and Moncrief

see I'm not buying this your telling me Dorsett who will prolly be a 6th option on offense is a better pick then Kendricks who is prolly better then both our starting ILBs Jalen Collins who could be groomed to takeover for Toler or even start if he were to get injured Landon Collins who is more then likely a starter next to Adams and Jordan Phillips who IMO is better then an old Langford

I'm buying it because pretty much the entire league bought it.  That's why those players are still on the board.

I'm buying it because pretty much the entire league bought it. That's why those players are still on the board.

even the teams with WR as a more pressing need then us passed on Dorsett? Also most teams aren't as weak as us at ILB CB S or DL

see I'm not buying this your telling me Dorsett who will prolly be a 6th option on offense is a better pick then Kendricks who is prolly better then both our starting ILBs Jalen Collins who could be groomed to takeover for Toler or even start if he were to get injured Landon Collins who is more then likely a starter next to Adams and Jordan Phillips who IMO is better then an old Langford everyone I've listed would have been a bigger playmaker on our team starting this season Dorsett has to pass Andre TY and Moncrief

I see what you saying, but if we reach pick #61 and any of those players you mention are BPA then he will pick them. His approach ensures we get quality football players.  Picking for need does less to ensure you are getting the best football player available.  I'm excited to see what happens because when this draft is all said and done I believe that he will have filled several defensive positions and done so with BPA.  I think the Jets used BPA when they selected Williams, they didn't really need anyone on the D Line as they are already set there.  That's okay because that D Line will be even more scary this year.  

For example some people may say "We already have 3 solid starting corners so we don't have need there".  If you are drafting by BPA and when the pick comes around a corner is BPA then that's who we are taking.   If we come to another pick and a D lineman or ILB is head and shoulders above our needs at safety then we'll pick the BPA at D Line or ILB.  His approach ensures we get game changing players.

I understand what he's doing and I'm cool with it. 

even the teams with WR as a more pressing need then us passed on Dorsett? Also most teams aren't as weak as us at ILB CB S or DL

Dorsett got picked, those guys you mentioned haven't gotten a sniff yet.

Great players get passed on every year. It's the nature of the beast. The best player at a certain position might not even get picked till day 3, you just never know. Same thing with Malcom Brown. What if he turns out to be a real good player? So what. What if Dorsett becomes a real good player? Doesn't matter. As long as Grigson thinks he knows what he's doing and we keep winning games and at least have a chance to make the super bowl we as a fan base should be happy. Us Colts fans have been spoiled rotten for the past 15 years. I hate the patriots as much as the next Colts fan, but a fan base should show more faith in their FO, even if they make some questionable decisions. Green Bay, New England, Baltimore, etc. all make questionable decisions as well.

No the Colts GMs have been incredibly spoiled. They've both had the fortune of getting top notch QBs.

We've invite been spoiled because we've had incredible QBs carrying the team while the GMs are made to look like geniuses.

Grigson is on the same path as Polian. He'll get heaps of praise for multiple winning seasons and playoff berths all because of whose under center. He'll draft maybe 2 other really great players but the team will always be unbalanced and devoted of talent on defense.

No the Colts GMs have been incredibly spoiled. They've both had the fortune of getting top notch QBs.

We've invite been spoiled because we've had incredible QBs carrying the team while the GMs are made to look like geniuses.

Grigson is on the same path as Polian. He'll get heaps of praise for multiple winning seasons and playoff berths all because of whose under center. He'll draft maybe 2 other really great players but the team will always be unbalanced and devoted of talent on defense.

Like I said. I don't care who gets the credit, as long as the team is competing in the playoffs.

As a Nebraska fan, I wish I could agree with you but I hope we pass on him and not so much because he needs to be kept in check. I think he'd spend more time in the training room than on the field. Any player at this level has courage but some guys will play through the many "minor" injuries that every player receives. I don't think that describes Gregory.