Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Kurt Warner to be OC at his son's high school

Superman

Good for him.  I'm a big fan of Kurt Warner and I really like his analysis on NFL Network.  He's one of only a few analysts on the NFL Network that actually provides deep analysis instead of just commenting on superficial things.  I'm sure he could be an NFL coordinator or coach, but he probably wants to do something that takes up less of his time.  He's a big family guy, so he probably wants to be around his family as much as he can instead of having to deal with all the stress of being an NFL coach

Good for him.  I'm a big fan of Kurt Warner and I really like his analysis on NFL Network.  He's one of only a few analysts on the NFL Network that actually provides deep analysis instead of just commenting on superficial things.  I'm sure he could be an NFL coordinator or coach, but he probably wants to do something that takes up less of his time.  He's a big family guy, so he probably wants to be around his family as much as he can instead of having to deal with all the stress of being an NFL coach

Yeah, I'm a fan, also. I think he's HOF worthy.

And I agree, this allows him to spend more time with his family, stay home, etc. A lot of his NFL Network appearances are via satellite, so he likes to stay home. Good for him. 

Can Kurt Warner really be objective when coaching his son though? Can he discipline him if he has to in front of the entire team? 1 on 1 mentoring is fine. If I was in his shoes, I couldn't view say my nephews as just another number on the roster. No way. I say nephews because I'm not married nor do I have any children, but if I did, I couldn't coach my kid on a team impartially absolutely not. Bias would always come into play with my own flesh & blood. 

Kurt's a great guy & well versed in character & the X's & O's of football. He will get into the HOF easy just on taking AZ to the SB & almost winning the game itself in the waining minutes of the 4th QTR. 

I just wish athletes would stop implying that football is the only sport that teaches men about teamwork, chemistry, & having it's other's backs. It's 1 sport that does that yes, but not the only sport. Kurt's cool though so I will let it go. 

Kurt does seem like a patient guy & if you are really trying to listen & improve on a skill, he strikes me as a guy who will work with you until the lightbulb of awareness clicks on. 

Can Kurt Warner really be objective when coaching his son though? Can he discipline if he has to in front of the entire team? 1 on 1 mentoring is fine. If I was in his shoes, I couldn't view say my nephews as just another number on the roster. No way. I say nephews because I'm not married nor do I have any children, but if I did, I couldn't coach my kid on a team impartially absolutely not. Bias would always come into play with my own flesh & blood. 

Kurt's a great guy & well versed in character & the X's & O's of football. He will get into the HOF easy just on taking AZ to the SB & almost winning the game itself in the waining minutes of the 4th QTR. 

I just wish athletes would stop implying that football is the only sport that teaches men about teamwork, chemistry, & having it's other's backs. It's 1 sport that does that yes, but not the only sport. Kurt's cool though so I will let it go. 

He's hardly the first guy put in position to coach his son, especially in high school athletics.

http://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/high-school/2015/04/07/kurt-warner-desert-mountain-offensive-coordinator/25421865/

This is kind of surprising to me. I think Warner could be an NFL QB coach, if not coordinator, if he wanted.

Maybe he will just be following his son. In sure any college would love to have him on in some manner. So maybe he follows his son into his college career, if his son turns out to be good enough

He's hardly the first guy put in position to coach his son, especially in high school athletics.

I never said that Kurt was Superman. It still doesn't change the fact that I don't think that Mr. Warner can apply the same tough love to his son that he does to every other member on that roster. 

Doc Rivers coaches his son Austin in the NBA for the Clippers & I don't like that idea either. Family & coaching is like oil & water never a good mix. 

1on 1 father/son private instruction away from the team is perfectly fine, but head coach & son on the same team is never a good idea. Nepotism will haunt a coach sooner or later either in a critical game situation or teammate resentment over blind favortism. I truly believe that. 

The only exception to this nepotism problem would be if a kid was say a LB & spent 90% of his time with a DC & never really saw his dad the HC until game day basically after the game was over which meant his dad really had no interaction with him on a daily football basis. 

I never said that Kurt was Superman. It still doesn't change the fact that I don't think that Mr. Warner can apply the same tough love to his son that he does to every other member on that roster.

Doc Rivers coaches his son Austin in the NBA for the Clippers & I don't like that idea either. Family & coaching is like oil & water never a good mix.

1on 1 father/son private instruction away from the team is perfectly fine, but head coach & son on the same team is never a good idea. Nepotism will haunt a coach sooner or later either in a critical game situation or teammate resentment over blind favortism. I truly believe that.

The only exception to this nepotism problem would be if a kid was say a LB & spent 90% of his time with a DC & never really saw his dad the HC until game day basically after the game was over which meant his dad really had no interaction with him on a daily football basis.

Coaches are generally harder and expect more from their children than they do the rest of the players. Fathers coach their sons a lot. A non issue

he's a lock to make it.  i wouldnt bet money on first ballot, but he will get in there

He's a tough sell, because he didn't have long, sustained success. But he had two separate peaks, both short, with two different teams. They were actually separated by almost a decade. So he's not your typical HOFer, but I still think he has a strong case. He'd have my vote.

Coaches are generally harder and expect more from their children than they do the rest of the players. Fathers coach their sons a lot. A non issue

Yes, I have seen that too, but I wouldn't say it's a non-issue or imply that rifts cannot develop amongst other teammates because I've seen it unfold 2nd hand myself. 

I just don't believe fathers should ever coach their son's directly in a hands on overseer of an entire team capacity sense. That's just my personal belief. If you disagree that's fine. 

It still doesn't change the fact that I don't think that Mr. Warner can apply the same tough love to his son that he does to every other member on that roster. 

Family & coaching is like oil & water never a good mix

1on 1 father/son private instruction away from the team is perfectly fine, but head coach & son on the same team is never a good idea.

That is not correct at all.   It's a non issue.    Lots if not most fathers coach their children in a sport at some point.   Soccer, little league, basketball or football.  Most will work hard with their child away from the normal practices because they no they need to justify the playing time.