Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Matt Barkley To Return To Usc

Guys its a really good thing, should Manning be healthy, it means teams who want a QB, Washington, Cleveland, Miami, Seattle, will all have to offer a tremendous amount to get Luck, it makes more sense for a team to trade up for Luck now! Which means more value for the pick!

Along with Luck's decision to return to Stanford last year, this is another illustration of how the rookie salary cap has changed the NFL draft.... and probably in a good way.

By not missing out on the outrageous rookie signing bonuses that stopped with Sam Bradford's draft class.... some of these top tier QBs will gain another year of seasoning at the college level.

Barkley could arguably do fine without the extra year.... but football-wise it won't hurt him in an offense such as USC's. And with the rookie cap it probably doesn't kill him financially either.

Add the fact that USC will return a very high number of starters on both sides of the football next year, and the kid really didn't make a bad decision IMO.

USC should be one heck of a good team next year.

Announced it just seconds ago. There goes a big prospect. RG3 and Jones stock just flew up.

Thoughts on Barkley's decision?

Very good decision for Barkley. If this was UCLA, California or even Stanford I could understand him going, but this is USC. To be able to be the QB who brought them back to the top the year they get off the bowl ban would put him in great USC legendary company.

Wrong choice in my opinion. Of course, he knows his situation better than I do, but once you're projected to be a top 10 pick, you'll get a big contract, and a good chance to start in the NFL. By going back, he could risk falling down to the later rounds, Painter style

Rookie Salary Cap = no Sam Bradford contracts anymore. He could also lock up the #1 overall pick next year by staying. He not only could go out as the guy who brought USC back, but also came back to have his stock become higher. He could be the #1 overall pick next year because of it. With luck going this year he had no shot at that. USC was already good this year even with their sanctions, he has a chance to make them amazing when they're lifted next year.

Like others have said. trade down. along with many other picks acquire a 1st rounder next year. Next years class will now include Tyler Bray, Tyler Wilson and Matt Barkley.

At that point it will only be 3 years behind manning before his contract is up.

Use this season to put players in place so that when we make the transition from manning to QB X we have an actual TEAM ready to support him.

Drafting luck and holding on to manning does not help us for the future. It puts luck in the same situation as manning was in his whole career. A great QB with not the greatest supporting cast. And unless luck is better than manning there wont be that much to be happy about other than a lot of 9-7 or 10-6 mediocre seasons.

Trade down this year, pick up another 1st rounder next year, then use both first rounders next year to trade up for Barkley. Easy as pie. ;)

yep. thats what i was referring to in my previous post. Or Tyler Wilson or Tyler Bray, depending on what we see from them next year

The thing with Barkley staying is that his draft stock can significantly decline. Look at Jake Locker. He was a sure number 1 and then his draft stock plummeted after a bad year. Now his O-line is weaker plus his D is worse. Now, Locker was expected to go late in the 1st round, but he was picked 8th overall. It's a big risk for Barkley, but I guess he wants to stay because of all the family that's coming to the team.

Why cant we trade our first round #1 overall pick for a later first round pick and next years first round pick and try to snag barkley Next year?

Work on getting a good receiver, and strong defense to build around the next face of the franchise?

A large number of us want the Colts to trade down!

Like others have said. trade down. along with many other picks acquire a 1st rounder next year. Next years class will now include Tyler Bray, Tyler Wilson and Matt Barkley.

Use this season to put players in place so that when we make the transition from manning to QB X we have an actual TEAM ready to support him.

Drafting luck and holding on to manning does not help us for the future. It puts luck in the same situation as manning was in his whole career. A great QB with not the greatest supporting cast. And unless luck is better than manning there wont be that much to be happy about other than a lot of 9-7 or 10-6 mediocre seasons.

This is what I have been saying for months! But some seem to think Luck can just pick right up where Manning left off and this team is right back to the promise land! If the Colts trade the pick the value for the pick would be even more incredible now that Barkley is staying put! If Griffin stays put, wow that pick would be so valuable!

The thing with Barkley staying is that his draft stock can significantly decline. Look at Jake Locker. He was a sure number 1 and then his draft stock plummeted after a bad year. Now his O-line is weaker plus his D is worse. Now, Locker was expected to go late in the 1st round, but he was picked 8th overall. It's a big risk for Barkley, but I guess he wants to stay because of all the family that's coming to the team.

That means he would be around next year if the Colts traded down this year. Think about it if Cleveland were to package picks/players for Luck, chances are they will be in the bottom ten of the league next year..therefore the Colts would have a legitimate shot at Barkley if his value were to fall....at that point the Colts would need a guy who could develop under Manning, not start day one, so his value taking a hit could be a good thing!

haha if you call going from #1 to number #8 plummeting, then daquan bowers fell into an abyss during draft day. That's not even close to plummeting.

Someone on ESPN was saying (i think mort) that he feels for someone to trade up to #1 it would take 3 1st round picks and 2 2nd round picks..

I'll take that in a hurry.

Browns 2012 1st rounders and 2nd

browns 2013 1st rounder and 2nd

next two superbowl trophy's will go to indy!

haha if you call going from #1 to number #8 plummeting, then daquan bowers fell into an abyss during draft day. That's not even close to plummeting.

Yeah but this guy was projected to go in the late first round which is pretty big. Da'Quan Bowers' drop was because of an injury scare, not him returning. Picking Jake Locker was a bit of a stretch considering he wasn't suppose to go in the top 20.

Smartest post of the thread.

That means he would be around next year if the Colts traded down this year. Think about it if Cleveland were to package picks/players for Luck, chances are they will be in the bottom ten of the league next year..therefore the Colts would have a legitimate shot at Barkley if his value were to fall....at that point the Colts would need a guy who could develop under Manning, not start day one, so his value taking a hit could be a good thing!

This is what I was thinking too, trade down with cleveland type team, soak up their #1's for a couple years + #2's. If they sucked, you are in the running for another high draft pick in which you could again parlay into even more 1st rounders or take you future QB and still pick with your #1 pick in the 32 slot :)

This means I have to suffer another bad season of Dolphins football next year... :(

If RGIII was smart he would enter the NFL draft now that he's a clear cut top 5 pick, but if he does stay at Baylor, the value of the #1 pick increases enormously because the gap between Andrew Luck and Landry Jones is gigantic.