Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Luck's contract extension

Ohio Colt

When do you guys think it will get done? Many in the media have said the right move is to do it before the start of next season because a) its the right thing to do and b) it's going to save us money rather than waiting until he's a year closer to FA.

Discuss.

What I don't get is Schefter - who is almost never wrong - broke a story I believe on the day of the AFC Title game

"Colts working on monster extension for Luck"

http://espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs/2014/story/_/id/12188779/indianapolis-colts-working-parameters-blockbuster-deal-andrew-luck

Then things went silent and 'sources' close to the organization said nothing was imminent and the breaks got pumped. Something had to happen, because Schefter got this from someone well placed or he wouldn't have ran with it.

What I don't get is Schefter - who is almost never wrong - broke a story I believe on the day of the AFC Title game

http://espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs/2014/story/_/id/12188779/indianapolis-colts-working-parameters-blockbuster-deal-andrew-luck

Then things went silent and 'sources' close to the organization said nothing was imminent and the breaks got pumped. Something had to happen, because Schefter got this from someone well placed or he wouldn't have ran with it.

Schefter did go in big time on the whole "Dez Bryant Walmart Tape" though. I'm not saying it doesn't exist but nothing has come from that story as of late either.

Wow. 25 mil. But better to do it now than wait another year when Luck will command even more.

Luck's doesn't worry me at all. It will get done, there's no way it wont. He holds all the chips, the question is only.how much will it be...

The one that truly worries me is TY hilton...I think if he hits FA, he'll be a HUGE target with big money followinG. I could see the tag being used on him. Fleener I think gets signed and stays, allen, I'm not so sure, depends on if he can stay healthy this yr

I don't see how it saves us money

Also helps cap wise if you can pro-rate the extension out earlier.  Plus when we start hearing about extensions for other quarterbacks, with the exception of Aaron Rodgers (who won't need an extension in a while) Luck will always be able to say, I want more then the deal that guy just signed.  

Schefter did go in big time on the whole "Dez Bryant Walmart Tape" though. I'm not saying it doesn't exist but nothing has come from that story as of late either.

Schefter is wrong a lot of the time. He tries to be the first one to post something rather than be correct.

The whole new drug policy going in the NFL last season he was wrong on just about everything.

I think Luck is going to get paid very well. I would think that him and Grigs will get the best deal done for both parties. We all know that Irsay will pay him what his value is. The trick is to make it as team friendly as possible.

Determining what his value is is tricky though. There probably isn't a single player or coach in the league who doesn't think he will be the best QB in the league eventually.

If you look at him now, he's easily the best QB aged 25 or younger, and none of those young guys with big deals could even hold a candle to him.

Plus he's probably better than everyone except Brady and Rodgers.

His value is anywhere from $100-$160 million, all things considered.

5 years, $125 M, $25 M signing bonus, $75 M guaranteed.

AND that's at the bottom of what he is going to command.

Could be much more than that.

Aint gonna be any "Family Fun" deal going down!

The NFL is a business and Luck is a businessman!

I think almost never wrong is a little off. He is so worried about breaking a story first he jumps the gun quite a bit.