Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Everything Brett Favre

Synthetic

He needs his own thread, we'll be discussing him around August (I hope) since the Packers look to be retiring his number. 

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/12309175/brett-favre-wants-green-bay-packers-hall-fame-induction-lambeau-field

This makes me very happy. Favre is the only reason I even started watching football as a kid. I loved him and followed him to the end. I had my Favre jersey as a child, and even bought a second one after I outgrew it. 

It's amazing how many times I've read and heard of people that started watching football for Favre. He was fun, something about him attracted a lot of people to the game, and that is something that has to be appreciated. 

Hopefully now that some time has passed, Packers fans can forgive him? I can only hope. 

Still one of the most fun quarterbacks to watch and had quite a lovable personality. Will always be my favorite player of all time. 

I hope his number retiring ceremony goes well. 

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My favorite player ever now and my least favorite ever before. Punk ruined my #2 ranked Seminoles season in 1989. Obviously I forgave him, having been brought up a Packers fan in the NFL.

I might bump this up with some YouTube links every now and then. Some cool 90s stuff has popped up over the years.

My favorite player ever now and my least favorite ever before. Punk ruined my #2 ranked Seminoles season in 1989. Obviously I forgave him, having been brought up a Packers fan in the NFL.

I might bump this up with some YouTube links every now and then. Some cool 90s stuff has popped up over the years.

That is why I named the thread "Everything Brett Favre", figured we could decorate the place with good old clips from the 90's.

For the longest time the Packers have been my #2 team. Obviously loyalty lies with the Saints though.

When he retired, I missed him, but Rodgers has really carried the torch well, and I think Luck reminds me a lot of Favre as well.

I'll be nicer to #4 once I know officially that Favre is retired & definitely won't be coming back. If you live in WI & endured the on again/off again retirement merry go round with Brett, you will understand where my resentment comes from.

Once he gets his yellow jacket, I will finally feel a sense of calm wash over me & I will give him his proper dues. I promise. 

My 2nd favorite QB of all time next to Peyton, I've said I see a lot of Favre in Luck actually, The bad and the great

Are you kidding me Gavin? Does Luck routinely throw into double & triple coverage just because he thinks his arm can beat the DB from intercepting his pass? Ah no, not even close. 

Does Luck routinely make bad throws chucking the ball across his body or have difficulty knowing when to throw the ball out of bounds & live to fight another down like Favre often did? Ah no, not even close. 

Plus, let's not forget that Favre had a decent ground game with RB Dorsey Levens either a security blanket Luck hasn't really had. Boom Herron is okay not great. 

He needs his own thread, we'll be discussing him around August (I hope) since the Packers look to be retiring his number. 

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/12309175/brett-favre-wants-green-bay-packers-hall-fame-induction-lambeau-field

This makes me very happy. Favre is the only reason I even started watching football as a kid. I loved him and followed him to the end. I had my Favre jersey as a child, and even bought a second one after I outgrew it. 

It's amazing how many times I've read and heard of people that started watching football for Favre. He was fun, something about him attracted a lot of people to the game, and that is something that has to be appreciated. 

Hopefully now that some time has passed, Packers fans can forgive him? I can only hope. 

Still one of the most fun quarterbacks to watch and had quite a lovable personality. Will always be my favorite player of all time. 

I hope his number retiring ceremony goes well. 

Are Packers fans upset with him? I always thought they blamed mgmt. more for his departure to the Jets.

I liked to watch Favre play. he always had such enthusiasm for the game and looked like he was having fun. His retirement was a media circus, but I can get past that, and I think that other fans can, also.

The Packers have always been my second favorite team, and I'm glad that they are honoring Favre like that.

I'll be nicer to #4 once I know officially that Favre is retired & definitely won't be coming back. If you live in WI & endured the on again/off again retirement merry go round with Brett, you will understand where my resentment comes from.

Once he gets his yellow jacket, I will finally feel a sense of calm wash over me & I will give him his proper dues. I promise.

The people who bought that he was retiring 40 times are the same people who bought that their exwife had a flat tire every night that took 4 hours to fix. What they endured is on them for being dumb enough to believe it more than anything else.

Are you kidding me Gavin? Does Luck routinely throw into double & triple coverage just because he thinks his arm can beat the DB from intercepting his pass? Ah no, not even close.

Does Luck routinely make bad throws chucking the ball across his body or have difficulty knowing when to throw the ball out of bounds & live to fight another down like Favre often did? Ah no, not even close.

Plus, let's not forget that Favre had a decent ground game with RB Dorsey Levens either a security blanket Luck hasn't really had. Boom Herron is okay not great.

The answer to all of those questions is yes and that's not a knock on Luck. Luck plays to win, not get perfect QBRs.

Yea that Favre retirement watch every offseason was obnoxious and really is where I developed my resentment towards him because I believe that he loved every second of it because of all the attention he was getting.

Just my opinion, but having his pending retirement shoved down your throat for 3 straight years, dominating all of the sports talk TV and radio just really eats at you after awhile

The people who bought that he was retiring 40 times are the same people who bought that their exwife had a flat tire every night that took 4 hours to fix. What they endured is on them for being dumb enough to believe it more than anything else.

It had nothing to do with whether you believed it or not, it was obnoxious because it dominated all media platforms related to football and we had to have it force fed down our throats for 3 straight off seasons when I just wanted to get info on the draft, free agency etc

You get sick of hearing about that stuff over and over, but the media was relentless and I think Favre fed into that

I was never a fan of Favre. Always felt he was a self serving player who played selfishly at times by forcing things instead of taking the safe play for the win. The end of his career was an embarrassment and prompted stories such as these, http://www.opposingviews.com/i/brett-favre-the-most-selfish-player-in-nfl-history

I also read that on the Jets and Vikings, Favre wanted his own office off of the locker room and did not spend time with or socialize with teammates at all. He would go into his office with the door closed and looked at himself as bigger and more important than the other guys.

Very odd behavior from someone who's suppose to be a leader.

Thats another reason I love Tom Brady, every single person that has played with him all say the same thing.. that he's just one of the guys and is very genuine and supportive of everyone on the team.

That article is interesting because it's how I've felt about him so it's funny to see an article that shares those same sentiments for the same reasons

The answer to all of those questions is yes and that's not a knock on Luck. Luck plays to win, not get perfect QBRs.

No, Luck doesn't throw into triple coverage like Favre did a good portion of his career. BC, you're crazy if you honestly believe that Luck does that on the same level of frequency as #4 did. Child please. 

I will grant you that Luck has a problem with throwing multiple picks against NE, but if INDY gets a reliable ground game going those Patriots picks should decline. 

You have no idea what in the world you are talking about when you infer that Andrew is on the same level as Brett with throwing intercepted passes. That's just a ridiculous statement on your part & not at all truthful. 

I lived through the Favre era personally. Trust me, you're wrong & way off base there BC. 

I also read that on the Jets and Vikings, Favre wanted his own office off of the locker room and did not spend time with or socialize with teammates at all. He would go into his office with the door closed and looked at himself as bigger and more important than the other guys.

Very odd behavior from someone who's suppose to be a leader.

Thats another reason I love Tom Brady, every single person that has played with him all say the same thing.. that he's just one of the guys and is very genuine and supportive of everyone on the team.

That article is interesting because it's how I've felt about him so it's funny to see an article that shares those same sentiments for the same reasons

You love Brady because he plays for the Patriots. Even if he wasn't known to be one of the guys as you call it you would still like him. You are way too defensive of anything negative about him for it to be anything else. He can do no wrong in your eyes and that is not going to change. My question is if there NFL does find an issue with the deflated footballs and hands down any punishment what are your feelings about Brady going to be? I would like a real answer instead of a deflection about what other teams do and don't do.

No, Luck doesn't throw into triple coverage like Favre did a good portion of his career. BC, you're crazy if you honestly believe that Luck does that on the same level of frequency as #4 did. Child please. 

I will grant you that Luck has a problem with throwing multiple picks against NE, but if INDY gets a reliable ground game going those Patriots picks should decline. 

You have no idea what in the world you are talking about when you infer that Andrew is on the same level as Brett with throwing intercepted passes. That's just a ridiculous statement on your part & not at all truthful. 

I lived through the Favre era personally. Trust me, you're wrong & way off base there BC. 

I liked Bret and his looking like he was having fun playing. On the other hand the text sent of his groin to a female was really stupid. Also the inability for the Green Bay coach to sit Bret when he deserved it was also not good. There were quite a few games Bret had no business playing in but he had more power than the head coach and to me that is a problem. He was fun to watch but his personal issues were over looked because of who he was.

Plus, let's not forget that Favre had a decent ground game with RB Dorsey Levens either a security blanket Luck hasn't really had. Boom Herron is okay not great. 

No-  Farve is just the granddaddy of Luck ;)

Luck has similarities "now".  gunslinger with a few INTs....... a few JJ? ;)   And ah those shuffle passes when pressured. Where have I seen that before:)

Noooooo Luck is God, He is beyond these things....well except minus the Denver games this year (4 picks), Patriots game (2 picks)......And the other 14 picks this year, To answer your other questions, Yes he has.

I was never a fan of Favre. Always felt he was a self serving player who played selfishly at times by forcing things instead of taking the safe play for the win. The end of his career was an embarrassment and prompted stories such as these, http://www.opposingviews.com/i/brett-favre-the-most-selfish-player-in-nfl-history

That's not a story, That's a guy that seems to think Favre is the root of all evil. would probably be the first to take a gun to Favre head if he saw him on the street, Dudes clrearly got some deep seeded emotional issues he needs to work out about Favre, Regardless, That's not a story, That's a rant about his hatred for Favre

My question is if there NFL does find an issue with the deflated footballs and hands down any punishment what are your feelings about Brady going to be? I would like a real answer instead of a deflection about what other teams do and don't do.

If the balls were at 12.3 psi, then it's not worth the oxygen to even discuss it.

If they were 2 full psi and Brady was involved with deflating them I'd be pretty disappointed, but ultimately it wouldn't change anything really as far as his talents as a player..

Same with Jerry Rice and stickum. . I think he's a hypocritical fool, but he's still the goat

Fav-ruh?

567809ebca48e6748938e0677ac3fc39-0.jpg

Always sort of liked him even though the Pack beat the Pats in that Super Bowl long-long ago. Desmond Howard was the one who killed NE anyway! 

I do think he exited the game in a less-than-graceful manner. But that doesn't mean he's not one of the all-time greats. 

Most of his records are, I feel, more about longevity than production. That shouldn't count against him though. His consecutive starts streak was pretty impressive.

Just read that it was 23 years ago this week that Atlanta traded him to GB. The GM for the Packers had been with the Jets and wanted to draft him there. Then when he went to GB he initiated the trade. Imagine how history might've changed if he'd been a Jet? 

That's not a story, That's a guy that seems to think Favre is the root of all evil. would probably be the first to take a gun to Favre head if he saw him on the street, Dudes clrearly got some deep seeded emotional issues he needs to work out about Favre, Regardless, That's not a story, That's a rant about his hatred for Favre

Sure to a point but many in the media echoed his comments during that three year period. But yeah, he lays it on strong.

Sure to a point but many in the media echoed his comments during that three year period. But yeah, he lays it on strong.

That same media covered both  returns to....for ratings, That same media spins stories in subtle (and at times not so subtle) ways that influences many a fans opinion...most of which eat up the medias words like mindless drones who are incapable of forming there own opinons, Those same fans are the same fans that loved watching Favre, Now Im not saying Favre was squeaky clean in all of it...I believe the whole Minnesota thing was to get back at Green Bay...Not that I blame him for wanting to do that though after Green Bay wanted to bring him back as a back up or trade him to a non contender...The media really blew that up way more then it was and turned on Favre.......All for a story when I don't think it was a big deal.......He retired and came back......So what? If I was pushed out before I was ready I would to if I knew I could still play, Which he could for the Jets and then in the beginning for the Vikings

That same media covered both  returns to....for ratings, That same media spins stories in subtle (and at times not so subtle) ways that influences many a fans opinion...most of which eat up the medias words like mindless drones who are incapable of forming there own opinons, Those same fans are the same fans that loved watching Favre, Now Im not saying Favre was squeaky clean in all of it...I believe the whole Minnesota thing was to get back at Green Bay...Not that I blame him for wanting to do that though after Green Bay wanted to bring him back as a back up or trade him to a non contender...The media really blew that up way more then it was and turned on Favre.......All for a story when I don't think it was a big deal.......He retired and came back......So what? If I was pushed out before I was ready I would to if I knew I could still play, Which he could for the Jets and then in the beginning for the Vikings

It seemed to me that Favre basked in all of the attention and drew most of it upon himself.

Favre retiring every year got old, but I always enjoyed watching him play.  It was an exciting style and football is supposed to be fun. The Pats style of football wins games, but I find it to be an unwatchable brand....kind of like playing basketball and scoring 40 points with layups the whole game.    

It had nothing to do with whether you believed it or not, it was obnoxious because it dominated all media platforms related to football and we had to have it force fed down our throats for 3 straight off seasons when I just wanted to get info on the draft, free agency etc

You get sick of hearing about that stuff over and over, but the media was relentless and I think Favre fed into that

And all the media platforms related to football have been so tolerable since...

Butthurt much?

Butthurt much?

I have no idea what in the hades that comment even means BC. Am I a colossal jerk just because I disagree with your assessment of Favre? Take a number.

LOL! Like I'm devastated & emotionally scarred by your objections. If it makes you feel better, go ahead & slam me. That's your right. It doesn't both me in the slightest. 

Noooooo Luck is God, He is beyond these things....well except minus the Denver games this year (4 picks), Patriots game (2 picks)......And the other 14 picks this year, To answer your other questions, Yes he has.

Did I say Luck walks on water? Did I say Luck never throws a pick? Did I say Luck embodies perfection & has nothing to improve upon? No, I did not. 

I love how people who don't live in WI are trying to tell me that Brett Favre the gunslinger had a tendency to throw picks at the worst possible times. That's just hilarious to me Gavin. Do you see Luck replicating Brett Favre's career interception record of 336 or surpassing it? No, I personally do not. 

Should I start calling you Skip Bayless 2.0 now with premature Luck coronation rhetoric too destined to be a HOF lock as well? Like the lack of a running game to set up the play action pass has nothing to do with why INDY throws the ball so much eh? 

I like you Gavin but you're not being balanced in your analysis at all. Anybody can list picks. That proves nothing other than you can google player stats. Congratulations. Do you want a cookie? 

Okay, maybe I was a tad bit harsh toward Gavin. Sorry. I just get upset when people kiss Favre's backside like he's NFL jesus making every excuse in the book to only highlight what Brett did well as opposed to pinpointing his weakness. Maybe that's the point Gavin was trying to make in terms of Luck. 

I just get tired of some INDY fans glossing over a lot of dropped footballs this year, inconsistent protection issues, & how losing Bradshaw hurt us in blitz pickup packages. 

Look, you have a point about picks against NE especially. No argument there. I just don't like Luck comparisons to Favre because Luck throws the ball out of bounds more than Favre ever did especially early in #4's NFL career in GB. 

On the flip side, I do appreciate that Brett Favre won a Championship in 1996, appeared in a 2nd SB a year later vs the Broncos led by John Elway, & darn near took the Vikings to the SB in 2009. I gained a ton of respect for the beating he took during that Saints NFC Championship game coming close to winning it. 

I can appreciate Favre's accomplishments & his does deserve to have his number retired, & take his rightful place in Canton, Ohio. When Brett does get inducted into the NFL HOF, I will applaud him & sincerely mean it. He's 1 tough hombre; not as tough as QB Steve McNair was but close IMO. 

Fav-ruh?

567809ebca48e6748938e0677ac3fc39-0.jpg

Always sort of liked him even though the Pack beat the Pats in that Super Bowl long-long ago. Desmond Howard was the one who killed NE anyway! 

I do think he exited the game in a less-than-graceful manner. But that doesn't mean he's not one of the all-time greats. 

Most of his records are, I feel, more about longevity than production. That shouldn't count against him though. His consecutive starts streak was pretty impressive.

Just read that it was 23 years ago this week that Atlanta traded him to GB. The GM for the Packers had been with the Jets and wanted to draft him there. Then when he went to GB he initiated the trade. Imagine how history might've changed if he'd been a Jet? 

Brett was pretty darn funny with his brief cameo in the fim "Something About Mary." Brett's come a long way since his Mike Holmgren regime days. He had a decent run with Jets too until he needed surgery. Gang Green was actually potent with Favre at the helm; something that can't be claimed under the Geno Smith era that's for sure. They even gave the Patriots a run for their money too under #4's guidance.  

It seemed to me that Favre basked in all of the attention and drew most of it upon himself.

Yep, Brett loved all that attention when ESPN reporters Ed Werder & Rachel Nichols camped out on his front lawn. Brett was the lead conductor of that train & Steve Mariucci went a little bananas with his iconic love for Favre. 

It was a circus without the lions, tigers, bears, & bearded lady. Retirement watch wore out it's welcome really quick & I grew to hate this commercial within days of it's airing...

http://youtu.be/z4x6jtK8BW8

Brett fueled this fire & he lit the symbolic match. Sigh...

What really took me over the top was Brett's unwillingness to even practice late in his career. Alan Iverson jokes aside. I have no issue with lowering his reps to preserve his game day strength, but come on Brett, you can't just act like training camp isn't even necessary for you regardless of your experience in this league. That royally ticked me off. How fair is that to your Jets & Vikings teammates Favre?