Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Everything Brett Favre

Synthetic

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nobody said guarantee but you're laying it on so thick...you're selling it as if the Vikings had it in the bag via a rush followed by a FG somewhere around the 50 yard distance in less time and chance than it would have took Marshawn Lynch on the 1 yard line.

Never said it was in the bag but a high probability of a win. Anything there, a dive forward, a throw away, a slide would have giving a chance at the win. Only the INT would sink the chance and he not only threw the pick but threw it across his body down field, a huge no, no for any QB. And you are the one bringing up Lynch, not me. I never denied that the probability of winning was better with him running from the one. Just refuted the idea of any play being guaranteed in football.

Never said it was in the bag but a high probability of a win. Anything there, a dive forward, a throw away, a slide would have giving a chance at the win. Only the INT would sink the chance and he not only threw the pick but threw it across his body down field, a huge no, no for any QB. And you are the one bringing up Lynch, not me. I never denied that the probability of winning was better with him running from the one. Just refuted the idea of any play being guaranteed in football.

I'm aware of the fact that I'm bringing up Lynch. How could I not when you won't quit saying in the Lynch thread how nobody knows that he would have gained 1 yard? Only to come over here to the Favre thread amd not quit saying that Favre could have gained atleast 5 (you actually said 15 first...)?

I'm aware of the fact that I'm bringing up Lynch. How could I not when you won't quit saying in that other how nobody knows that he would have gained 1 yard? Only to come over here and not quit saying that Favre could have gained atleast 5?

You must have me confused with another poster. The only thing I said on the other thread was that no play is guaranteed and that Lynch had been stopped 4 out of 5 times from the one during the season. And that the probability of a pick on a pass play from the one on a slant route is extremely low and yet happened. Again, nothing is guaranteed.

Are you denying that Favre would not have picked up yardage on that play? He has admitted that he would have and should have ran instead of throwing.

"I probably should have ran it," Favre said. "I don't know how far I could have gotten.

"But I was just late to Sidney. ... It proved costly."

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/thehuddle/post/2010/01/brett-favre-on-fateful-int-in-vikings-loss-to-saints-i-probably-should-have-ran-it/1#.VN_9NLN0zIU

You must have me confused with another poster. The only thing I said on the other thread was that no play is guaranteed and that Lynch had been stopped 4 out of 5 times from the one during the season. And that the probability of a pick on a pass play from the one on a slant route is extremely low and yet happened. Again, nothing is guaranteed.

That's a mouthfull aka all you said.

Are you denying that Favre would not have picked up yardage on that play?

Are you denying that Lynch would have on that play?

He has admitted that he would have and should have ran instead of throwing.

"I probably should have ran it," Favre said. "I don't know how far I could have gotten.

"But I was just late to Sidney. ... It proved costly."

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/thehuddle/post/2010/01/brett-favre-on-fateful-int-in-vikings-loss-to-saints-i-probably-should-have-ran-it/1#.VN_9NLN0zIU

Favre always takes the blame after the game. Besides, he's since said that Sidney wasn't where he was supposed to be.

That's a mouthfull aka all you said.

Are you denying that Lynch would have on that play?

Favre always takes the blame after the game. Besides, he's since said that Sidney wasn't where he was supposed to be.

Favre had open field in front of him so yes he would have gained yardage. Lynch would have had a goal line of defenders trying to stop him so no, I don't know if he would have scored. He didn't 4 out of 5 times during the season. Again, we are talking win probability here. That's it. Vikings had a chance to win if Favre tucks it and gets what he can. He can blame Sidney if he wants but he threw across his body down field.

BTW, I looked up the box score of that game and the Vikings had six fumbles/three lost. 2 by Peterson and one by Favre were the lost ones. 5 total TOs to Saints 1. It was amazing that they were even in position to win at the end.

Favre had open field in front of him so yes he would have gained yardage. Lynch would have had a goal line of defenders trying to stop him so no, I don't know if he would have scored. He didn't 4 out of 5 times during the season. Again, we are talking win probability here. That's it. Vikings had a chance to win if Favre tucks it and gets what he can. He can blame Sidney if he wants but he threw across his body down field.

But would he have gained yardage, and gotten out of bounds and got what would have been around a 50 yard FG? That's what it would have took to win, not just the gain of a few yards. All Lynch needed was 1. 1 yard. 1 yard anywhere, no out of bounds, no FG, just 1 yard forward and the game was over. I'll take Lynch every time and before you throw that selective 4 out of 5 stat at me again, go look up Favre's 2009 rushing stats.

BTW, I looked up the box score of that game and the Vikings had six fumbles/three lost. 2 by Peterson and one by Favre were the lost ones. It was amazing that they were even in position to win at the end.

Yet they only finally lost the game with Favre and AP on the sidelines.

But would he have gained yardage, and gotten out of bounds and got what would have been around a 50 yard FG? That's what it would have took to win, not just the gain of a few yards. All Lynch needed was 1. 1 yard. 1 yard anywhere, no out of bounds, no FG, just 1 yard forward and the game was over. I'll take Lynch every time and before you throw that selective 4 out of 5 stat at me again, go look up Favre's 2009 rushing stats.

Yet they only finally lost the game with Favre and AP on the sidelines.

I am not sure what we are even debating. I never said either team was guaranteed a victory. I am talking win probability. That's it. You keep bringing up Lynch like that is a relevant comparison. It's not. Not in any way. Lynch never had the ball. Favre could have given his team a chance at a victory and he threw the pick. If he runs toward the open field and slides he picks up 5 easy and it is a 50 yard FG in a dome. Not a guarantee by any means but a great chance at a win. That is all I have been debating. Nothing more. And that's my last post on it. Have a great night. Have to go shovel now ...

I am not sure what we are even debating. I never said either team was guaranteed a victory. I am talking win probability. That's it. You keep bringing up Lynch like that is a relevant comparison. It's not. Not in any way. Lynch never had the ball. Favre could have given his team a chance at a victory and he threw the pick. If he runs toward the open field and slides he picks up 5 easy and it is a 50 yard FG in a dome. Not a guarantee by any means but a great chance at a win. That is all I have been debating. Nothing more. And that's my last post on it. Have a great night. Have to go shovel now ...

And the Vikings stood a better chance at those several things happening that they needed to happen to win the game than the Seahawks did the 1 thing, that 1 thing being 1 yard, to win their game? You're taking Favre over Lynch at rushing? And spotting Lynch 4 yards?

You can't have both. The 2 things just don't add up no matter how many ways you spin it. You can't say Lynch probably wouldn't have gotten a yard then say Favre certainly would've gotten 5 yards, and got out of bounds, and the FG. And that's not even including the variable of the timeout that the Seahawks had. They had 2 chances, maybe 3.

And the Vikings stood a better chance at those several things happening that they needed to happen to win the game than the Seahawks did the 1 thing, that 1 thing being 1 yard, to win their game? You're taking Favre over Lynch at rushing? And spotting Lynch 4 yards?

You can't have both. The 2 things just don't add up no matter how many ways you spin it. You can't say Lynch probably wouldn't have gotten a yard then say Favre certainly would've gotten 5 yards, and got out of bounds, and the FG. And that's not even including the variable of the timeout that the Seahawks had. They had 2 chances, maybe 3.

I am not comparing the two. You keep doing that as a way to deflect off of what Favre did. I have admitted several times that the probability of the Hawks scoring was much better by handing off to Lynch. No debate there at all. BUT the two scenarios are so different. Lynch never had the ball. Coach's decision. Favre had the ball and made the decision to throw. I rewatched the play and when he rolls out, he actually pump fakes the LB which freezes him down the sideline opening up at least 10 yards in front of him. Troy Aikman who was announcing the game says after the play that Favre probably could have picked up 10-15 yards on the play and got out of bounds. That is why the Vikings called the roll out to begin with so he could avoid the sack and roll out toward the sideline and either throw it away or run out of bounds. So him running would have make it a 40-45 yard FG if he gets 10-15. Again, probability to win was great at that point. That's it. I am not saying Vikings would have definitely won but they had a great chance just like the Hawks did if they handed off to Lynch.

it's funny how people see 'favre plays with such enthusiasm and passion'.  but when brady plays with such enthusiasm and passion they see 'arrogant *'.

personally i love favre.  he is the most talented 'thrower' of the football along with dan marino.   but IMO he believed in his arm too much. that was his downfall.   i'm glad brady didn't drink his own koolaid too much.  too much koolaid is not good for the team

even with a great kicker we've seen the Vikings miss a critical FG in the NFc championship. I don't mind putting the ball in my hof qb hands. The 2nd 1 is totally different. Last option ever in goal line is to throw over the middle. 3 things can happen and two are bad. Tipped balls etc. Brett tried to make a play....much like peyton had done in playoffs in Denver and Indy losing a SB and a first rd game. Every pass is a taking a chance. Favre was a great player. He made some of the greatest plays in NFL history and yes a few of the greatest blunders. He always had fun and played with intensity and joy. I remember him for his years with gb and not the mistakes in ny at the end. He played at a high level for a long time. True hof qb that killed my dads bears teams but always respected him on the field. I'm going to leave the off the field alone but man he was fun to watch. Sad their isn't s guy like him in the league. We were better off with him and just like manning and brady soon the league was not be the same without him.

even with a great kicker we've seen the Vikings miss a critical FG in the NFc championship. I don't mind putting the ball in my hof qb hands. The 2nd 1 is totally different. Last option ever in goal line is to throw over the middle. 3 things can happen and two are bad. Tipped balls etc. Brett tried to make a play....much like peyton had done in playoffs in Denver and Indy losing a SB and a first rd game. Every pass is a taking a chance. Favre was a great player. He made some of the greatest plays in NFL history and yes a few of the greatest blunders. He always had fun and played with intensity and joy. I remember him for his years with gb and not the mistakes in ny at the end. He played at a high level for a long time. True hof qb that killed my dads bears teams but always respected him on the field. I'm going to leave the off the field alone but man he was fun to watch. Sad their isn't s guy like him in the league. We were better off with him and just like manning and brady soon the league was not be the same without him.

The situation called for Favre to take what was there to give his kicker a chance and his team for the win. It was third and 15 with no time outs. The only thing he can do there is throw to the sideline or run to the sideline or simply throw it away. To throw across his body over the middle of the field would have ended the game even if completed as the clock would have run out on fourth down as he would have to have run out the FG unit with just seconds left. The game was tied, he didn't need to be a hero, he needed to give his team a chance. But as so often was the case late in his career especially, he threw a fatal pick. It is what it is. He was a great player but honestly just makes me appreciate Brady even more. We are very blessed in NE all these years.

Bingo. The Gary Anderson FG is proof that a FG wasn't necessarily the best chance to win.

I don't remember the play perfectly so I don't know exactly the situation. I think he thought he needed a first down to get into fg range...so they could spike it. No yardage probably left them out of range. I don't see Brett in condition to run for much of anything at all...but again its been awhile and I haven't seen that game after that one...just the once...so I could be misremembering. That said I typically put that in my qbs hands to throw.

All in all we are talking about a HOF qb....no questions about that...and one of the funnest and most exciting players to watch in the league. I miss seeing him play considering what a majority of the current QBs do right now. I shudder to think of the league when the Brees, Mannings, and Bradys are gone. The rule changes have helped the offenses...but honestly it helps the lesser qbs more. Guys like Manning and Brady and Brees have been putting the ball into tight spaces forever and picking apart defenses forever. Once that elite guard is gone...we will only have a handful of great qbs left...I think the league will suffer some.

• 2 months later...

I'm crippled up with 2 sprained wrists :( I used to just assume that a sprain wasn't that big of a deal but let me tell you I'm in PAAAAIIIN!!!!!!!! This is worse than my broken thumb times a billion! I used to think Favre's 5 TDs on that sprained ankle was overrated but I know better than that now.

I'm crippled up with 2 sprained wrists :( I used to just assume that a sprain wasn't that big of a deal but let me tell you I'm in PAAAAIIIN!!!!!!!! This is worse than my broken thumb times a billion! I used to think Favre's 5 TDs on that sprained ankle was overrated but I know better than that now.

Hey feel better soon! Hate to hear about your wrists. Pain in muscles sucks, I know how you feel. Been dealing with that in my legs and back most of my life. 

I would recommend soaking in the tub with hot water if it's your back but I don't know if that would help wrists. Maybe the heating pad would help. Just sucks that you have to stay still for so long. Works good if you have a movie to watch or music to burn time listening to. 

Hope you feel better soon! 

• 1 month later...

The Hitler video clip was run into the ground some years back. When the Lions went 0-16 that year, someone was making a video of that clip every week they lost a game. 

I still haven't figured out what movie that is from  lmao  I want to say it's the Tarantino flick with Brad Pitt but I am not entirely sure. 

The Hitler video clip was run into the ground some years back. When the Lions went 0-16 that year, someone was making a video of that clip every week they lost a game. 

I still haven't figured out what movie that is from  lmao  I want to say it's the Tarantino flick with Brad Pitt but I am not entirely sure. 

The popular Hitler clips is NOT from the Tarantino movie, Inglorius Basterds....    it's from a 2004 German movie called "Downfall".

A tremendous movie that was nominated for Best Foreign film by the Motion Picture Academy.

It's a German movie based on a number of very highly regarded books about the final days of Hitler.

This movie covers the final few days inside Hitler's bunker.    It's very, very intense.   Very.    But if you're interested in WWII history,  then I strongly recommend it.

Here's the Wiki page for "Downfall"....    lots of good background info...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Downfall_%282004_film%29

http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/downfall-hitler-reacts

Original unedited can be seen here [click the *cc* button on the Youtube panel for subtitles]

• 4 weeks later...

I just watched Brett Favre's Packers HOF Induction Ceremony in Green Bay, WI taped on my DVR tonight. Since my friend Bogie created this thread & I have a great deal of respect for the man, I promise you that I will be complementary to #4 right now. Bogie's #1 favorite player with Warren Moon coming in at #2 I believe. 

Prior to starting his speech HC Mike Holmgren said a few notable recollections about Favre. 4 memories stood out to Mike that Brett taught him personally over 20 years ago. Those memories are: 1. Exuberance, 2. Believe in Yourself, 2. Develop a level of trust between the head coach & the QB & then the sky is the limit, 4. Never lose your sense of humor. Mike even thanked Brett for being the son he never had. Mike actually was a good speaker. He was short in duration, witty, & listening to him the audience got a brief window into the bond the 2 of them shared. The ups & downs as well as the times didn't always follow directions & decided to improvise. "Now Brett, the 2 things that can't happen with 15 seconds left in this game is a sack & no scrabbling. Got it? And then I see him scrabbling. Ah Brett, I thought we went over this before the play man?" "I knew I was gonna make it coach."  haha

While Favre walked out of the Lambeau Field home tunnel, #4 humbly thanked the fans in GB for their years of devotion & you could see that he was touched, genuinely moved, & choked up. It was very authentic & surreal on his part. I thought that he should of mentioned his gratitude with his tenure with the Falcons, NY Jets, & Minnesota Vikings too even though the festivities were specifically designed to celebrate his NFL years playing in WI that doesn't matter. I saw #4 Jets & Vikings jerseys in the stadium stands there.

I burst out laughing when Brett's former center mentioned all Favre's records including his interception record. HA! HA! Just the way he slid it in there was hilarious to me & it actually added to Brett's modesty too. Nice.

By the time Brett got up there, I thought he got slightly derailed when he went a little bananas thanking his family. But, that's okay given the emotional intensity of the night so I forgive him here. I liked what he said about the strength of Mike Holmgren's coaching tree. I also really admired how Brett mentioned the adversity he faced in his life namely his addiction to pain killers, his wife's breast cancer, the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina, the death of his beloved father & how the fans of Oakland gave him such a warm reception when he played a fabulous game that night. 

Brett knew everybody in Lambeau man...The strength & conditioning coach, stadium security personnel, the main ticket scalper guy, & sideline video personnel people. Overall, I applauded how Favre handled himself the entire night. Pure class, total professionalism, & you can see how much he revered all his teammates, coaches, coordinators, & staff throughout the years. He even admitted that his departure from GB wasn't under the best circumstances & he inferred the way he said it that he could have done a few things differently in hindsight now. Bravo Brett! That takes a big man to admit that the retirement rollercoaster could have been altered somewhat. I'm proud of you man. Thank you. 

Both your Packers HOF ring & Bronze football are well deserved & any resentment I held against you for being a QB diva are now dead & gone forever. I was also glad to see GM Ron Wolf to get a ton of recognition from Brett Favre, Mike Holmgren, & the Packers President. Wolf was 1 hades of a GM. He even helped Bill Parcells turn around the Miami Dolphins briefly too. Ron's a good man as well. I've always liked the guy. 

Overall, Favre's induction into the Packers HOF as well as having #4's numbered retired was pretty cool to witness. Brett handled the night perfectly & earned my respect. Well done Brett. Well done!  :thmup:

I just watched Brett Favre's Packers HOF Induction Ceremony in Green Bay, WI taped on my DVR tonight. Since my friend Bogie created this thread & I have a great deal of respect for the man, I promise you that I will be complementary to #4 right now. Bogie's #1 favorite player with Warren Moon coming in at #2 I believe. 

Prior to starting his speech HC Mike Holmgren said a few notable recollections about Favre. 4 memories stood out to Mike that Brett taught him personally over 20 years ago. Those memories are: 1. Exuberance, 2. Believe in Yourself, 2. Develop a level of trust between the head coach & the QB & then the sky is the limit, 4. Never lose your sense of humor. Mike even thanked Brett for being the son he never had. Mike actually was a good speaker. He was short in duration, witty, & listening to him the audience got a brief window into the bond the 2 of them shared. The ups & downs as well as the times didn't always follow directions & decided to improvise. "Now Brett, the 2 things that can't happen with 15 seconds left in this game is a sack & no scrabbling. Got it? And then I see him scrabbling. Ah Brett, I thought we went over this before the play man?" "I knew I was gonna make it coach."  haha

While Favre walked out of the Lambeau Field home tunnel, #4 humbly thanked the fans in GB for their years of devotion & you could see that he was touched, genuinely moved, & choked up. It was very authentic & surreal on his part. I thought that he should of mentioned his gratitude with his tenure with the Falcons, NY Jets, & Minnesota Vikings too even though the festivities were specifically designed to celebrate his NFL years playing in WI that doesn't matter. I saw #4 Jets & Vikings jerseys in the stadium stands there.

I burst out laughing when Brett's former center mentioned all Favre's records including his interception record. HA! HA! Just the way he slid it in there was hilarious to me & it actually added to Brett's modesty too. Nice.

By the time Brett got up there, I thought he got slightly derailed when he went a little bananas thanking his family. But, that's okay given the emotional intensity of the night so I forgive him here. I liked what he said about the strength of Mike Holmgren's coaching tree. I also really admired how Brett mentioned the adversity he faced in his life namely his addiction to pain killers, his wife's breast cancer, the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina, the death of his beloved father & how the fans of Oakland gave him such a warm reception when he played a fabulous game that night. 

Brett knew everybody in Lambeau man...The strength & conditioning coach, stadium security personnel, the main ticket scalper guy, & sideline video personnel people. Overall, I applauded how Favre handled himself the entire night. Pure class, total professionalism, & you can see how much he revered all his teammates, coaches, coordinators, & staff throughout the years. He even admitted that his departure from GB wasn't under the best circumstances & he inferred the way he said it that he could have done a few things differently in hindsight now. Bravo Brett! That takes a big man to admit that the retirement rollercoaster could have been altered somewhat. I'm proud of you man. Thank you. 

Both your Packers HOF ring & Bronze football are well deserved & any resentment I held against you for being a QB diva are now dead & gone forever. I was also glad to see GM Ron Wolf to get a ton of recognition from Brett Favre, Mike Holmgren, & the Packers President. Wolf was 1 hades of a GM. He even helped Bill Parcells turn around the Miami Dolphins briefly too. Ron's a good man as well. I've always liked the guy. 

Overall, Favre's induction into the Packers HOF as well as having #4's numbered retired was pretty cool to witness. Brett handled the night perfectly & earned my respect. Well done Brett. Well done!  :thmup:

It is amazing how time does heal all wounds. Favre kept saying how GB was his home, and the tunnel, etc yet no superstar QB has ever left a city the way he did holding a team hostage season after season with threats of retirement. And then going to their arch rival just so he could beat his former team but yeah his heart was in GB the whole time ...

I learned this valuable lesson early in life: 

If you take responsibility for your actions, no matter how embarrassing they may be at 1st blush, criticisms tend to fade away over time & be forgotten. However, if you act like you are perfection personified with no faults or flaws to speak of these criticisms becomes infamous & never forgotten no matter how much time passes by. 

People respect vulnerability & owning up to your role or general awareness in thinking that your rocket arm will always rescue your team no matter what.  I just respect how Brett Favre owned up to the fact that he could have handled his departure from Green Bay better with less on again off again retirement shenanigans etc. etc, as he was inducted into the Packers HOF. 

If a person is humble, I can forgive darn near anything. Yes, I strongly disliked the interceptions Favre threw at times, but that's water under the bridge now. 

I have great respect for Brett Favre the player. Gritty, tough SOB. Guy played with passion and heart. Left it all on the field. My family were all Bear fans so he was hated all the while respected. I can't speak so much for the stuff outside the lines because I don't know enough so I'll just focus on the qb between them. He was a gunslinger..and bruised and beaten he would still walk out on that field and ride with his team. Made throws that I didn't think possible and made some that he should never have attempted. In my mind I just see him in a western....fast draw....heavy on the drink and gambler at heart....but when stuff hit the fan he would be there with his posse and pull them out of whatever situation. He always looked like he was having fun and loved the energy and personality he brought to the game. Very very lucky to watch him play...it was a pleasure and pain lol.