Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2015 NFL Draft: Don't expect immediate results from pass rushers

By Pat Kirwan

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/writer/pat-kirwan/25060804/nfl-draft-dont-expect-immediate-results-from-pass-rushers

It seems a significant number of pass rushers will be first-round targets in the 2015 NFL Draft, but few are likely to produce immediate results in their rookie seasons.

I sat down with a number of NFL coaches and front-office executives at the Senior Bowl and the Super Bowl to discuss first-round pass rushers in the draft. The feedback from the real experts wasn't very encouraging.

The coaches' biggest issue is the lack of time to work with rookie pass rushers and the limited ways most rookies know how to rush the passer. One coach described the typical first-round pass rusher as a one-trick pony. They are mostly speed rushers with little ability to convert speed to power, have underdeveloped spin moves and are typically easy to punch and neutralize.

One defensive coordinator said any decent left tackle in the NFL can watch two games of a rookie pass rusher and neutralize their best move. It could take the rest of the season, if not longer, for the rookie to come up with a counter.

Look at last season's first-round pass rushers to understand the frustration NFL people had watching their top picks try to reach quarterbacks.

• No. 1 pick Jadeveon Clowney -- 143 defensive plays, zero sacks for the Texans
  • Khalil Mack, 992 plays, four sacks with the Raiders
  • Anthony Barr, 776 plays, four sacks with the Raiders
  • Dee Ford, 122 plays, 1 1/2 sacks with the Chiefs.

Shane Ray played behind Kony Ealy and Michael Sam at Missouri in 2013. Ealy had four sacks in 360 plays in his NFL rookie season and Sam didn't make a team.

Clemson's Vic Beasley is undersized at 6-feet-2 and 235 pounds, but he did have 33 sacks in his college career. NFL offensive linemen won't even have to watch film to know he's all about the speed rush.

Pretty much how I feel about the pass rushers this year. Especially Shane Ray. Ever since Aldon Smith people seem to think every Missouri pass rusher is the next big thing and that they're underrated because of who they had to play behind.

Spot on about Beasley though. He's wrong about Mack though. That guy may not have had huge sack numbers, but he was a beast in the run game hence him being a finalist for DROY.

Edited by 21isSuperman

SI has the Colts taking:

1st Round @ 29

Marcus Peters, CB
Junior, Washington
Peters' standing heading into the draft will be fascinating to track. The one-time Washington star, kicked off the team midseason, is at least on par with Waynes -- and probably above him -- in terms of pure talent. Is that enough to offset the other issues? The Colts might gamble. Few teams could rival a Vontae Davis-Peters CB duo (with Greg Toler as a steady No. 3).

2nd Round @ 61. Indianapolis Colts: Duke Johnson, RB, Miami
 (Fla.)

I don't see it....we were 31st in run blocking, Andrew was sacked 29 times this season and if I'm not mistaken many of his interceptions were due to being rushed. I would think we would address 0-line first.

Robert Mathis had 3 sacks his rookie year....Look how well that turned out...Though he was a 5th round pick, Speed rushers scare the hell out of QB's, They are the ones that force a QB to step into the pocket so big DT's can get many of there sacks, They are game changers just like a great Corner is

i like Alvin Dupree out of Kentucky out of all the 1st round pass rushers if he fell to us at 29 i think he'd be a great pickup

I could live with Dupree or Harold in the 1st. Both have plenty of potential as pass rushers.

Dupree? Blech.

I don't get it.

Robert Mathis had 3 sacks his rookie year....Look how well that turned out...Though he was a 5th round pick, Speed rushers scare the hell out of QB's, They are the ones that force a QB to step into the pocket so big DT's can get many of there sacks, They are game changers just like a great Corner is

Only thing is that the game is evolving. Offensive line men are more athletic than ever. They aren't just 300 pound anchors anymore. Now they're just as athletic as some defensive lineman. You need speed, power, and finesse to win consistently. Mathis isn't incredibly powerful but he has speed and finesse. Not to mention years of experience.

Only thing is that the game is evolving. Offensive line men are more athletic than ever. They aren't just 300 pound anchors anymore. Now they're just as athletic as some defensive lineman. You need speed, power, and finesse to win consistently. Mathis isn't incredibly powerful but he has speed and finesse. Not to mention years of experience.

Right and Mathis had to start somewhere with that speed and finesse, He wasn't great from day one, But he did have top acceleration off the ball just like Beasley, Experience is only gained over time, Beasleys lack of experience cant and wont be held against him by scout, Beasley if he stays  reasonably healthy is going to be a menace on the field you have to account for and probably every single down just like Mathis became, especially the more experience he gets. Until then you draft him and play him if he is there (I don't think he will be so this will probably be all a moot point and conversation) on some obvious pass rush situations, you find ways to get that speed on the field

SI has the Colts taking:

1st Round @ 29

Marcus Peters, CB
Junior, Washington
Peters' standing heading into the draft will be fascinating to track. The one-time Washington star, kicked off the team midseason, is at least on par with Waynes -- and probably above him -- in terms of pure talent. Is that enough to offset the other issues? The Colts might gamble. Few teams could rival a Vontae Davis-Peters CB duo (with Greg Toler as a steady No. 3).

2nd Round @ 61. Indianapolis Colts: Duke Johnson, RB, Miami
 (Fla.)

I don't see it....we were 31st in run blocking, Andrew was sacked 29 times this season and if I'm not mistaken many of his interceptions were due to being rushed. I would think we would address 0-line first.

Did you mean to respond in this thread?

Because your response has nothing to do with what the OP posted about.

His story simply says that any team looking for an instant boost in pass rush this year is likely to be disappointed.    That's it.

Did you mean to respond in this thread?

Because your response has nothing to do with what the OP posted about.

His story simply says that any team looking for an instant boost in pass rush this year is likely to be disappointed.    That's it.

Lost my mind for a second there........comment still stands.

I haven't seen many young pass rushers that are real effective in their first season. I can remember some people associating bust type language with Mario Williams his first year.  The beast usually starts to show up in the 2nd or 3rd year with most of them.