Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Do you see Brady winning a 5th Super Bowl

coltkingABC

He should be 3-3 in Super Bowls, in my humble opinion, so I'd say no he wont get a 5th.

He could be 6-0 just as easily as he can be 0-6. I hope he doesn't win one but by the time he retires and the Colts actually have a chance Luck will be halfway through his career.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You've got to be kidding me.

Let's look at the math.

From 18-1 to 11-5.

That's a 7 win drop off.

Yeah, the QB makes no difference.

You take the absolute single best record of NE and compare to the year Brady was out. You believe that's a fair comparison? That makes no sense.

You've got to be kidding me.

Let's look at the math.

From 18-1 to 11-5.

That's a 7 win drop off.

Yeah, the QB makes no difference.

From 2004 to 2013 NE has averaged 12 wins a year. That's an AVERAGE. 2 of those years with Brady playing, NE only won 10 games. Brady goes down in game 1 for 2008 and NE still wins 11 games. That's only 1 less than the average which included a 16-0 run. So, YEAH, NE would probably still be a very good team without Brady. 

And I didn't say the QB makes no difference. I said the NE team is a better team than Brady is a QB. That's not the same as me saying Brady is not a top QB, or one of the best QBs ever. I realize, based on many of your posts, you have a hard time engaging in a civil dialogue. I compliment NE and you take issue with me. Aside from anyone saying..."NE is the best team in history. Brady is the best QB in history. There is no competition, or comparison whatsoever historically. There will probably NEVER be a team as grand and great at the Patriots. All other teams pale in comparison", you would probably take issue.

From 2004 to 2013 NE has averaged 12 wins a year. That's an AVERAGE. 2 of those years with Brady playing, NE only won 10 games. Brady goes down in game 1 for 2008 and NE still wins 11 games. That's only 1 less than the average which included a 16-0 run. So, YEAH, NE would probably still be a very good team without Brady. 

And I didn't say the QB makes no difference. I said the NE team is a better team than Brady is a QB. That's not the same as me saying Brady is not a top QB, or one of the best QBs ever. I realize, based on many of your posts, you have a hard time engaging in a civil dialogue. I compliment NE and you take issue with me. Aside from anyone saying..."NE is the best team in history. Brady is the best QB in history. There is no competition, or comparison whatsoever historically. There will probably NEVER be a team as grand and great at the Patriots. All other teams pale in comparison", you would probably take issue.

I think the sobering reality I had when I watched Jimmy G. put up zero points vs Buffalo the last game of the season in the second half and in the process take multiple huge yardage sacks, is that this thing is over when Brady retires. I love Bill and think he is the best coach of his generation and a decent GM but this team will never see these heights again. He is a once in a lifetime player. When Jordan hung them up, he was never replaced in Chicago or anywhere in the NBA. The same will be true for Brady. And this is why I am enjoying every moment of this as we only have a few more years left if Brady is able to play as long as he believes he can.

Precisely, 4 rings is an outstanding achievement. If Brady retired tomorrow, he'd still be 2nd only to Joe Montana for the best QB to play this game since Joe never lost a  :lombardi: he competed for. 

I value rings plural more than I do NFL stats. Yes, football is a team sport, but in critical moments elite QBs initiate comebacks & finish drives in the post season. 

I hate the Patriots as much as anyone, but some of my fellow Colts fans here are just making it worse.  Time to move and just accept facts. 

I think it also says something in the way they won superbowls, especially this one.  The fourth quarter comeback was on Brady and after this game it's time to stop arguing it, Brady is the best QB of his era.  It's getting downright humiliating with people bringing up deflategate now that it has been pretty much shown to be nothing and Peyton's choking the last two years.  The good news, Brady won't be around for too much longer and Andrew Luck will be.  

I hate the Patriots as much as anyone, but some of my fellow Colts fans here are just making it worse.  Time to move and just accept facts. 

I think it also says something in the way they won superbowls, especially this one.  The fourth quarter comeback was on Brady and after this game it's time to stop arguing it, Brady is the best QB of his era.  It's getting downright humiliating with people bringing up deflategate now that it has been pretty much shown to be nothing and Peyton's choking the last two years.  The good news, Brady won't be around for too much longer and Andrew Luck will be.  

On this note, I have received several PM messages from Colts fans this week that have been nothing short of classy and congratulatory like this post. So thank you. I really appreciate the posters here and the discussions on this forum. It is why rival fans enjoy it here so much. And you are right 100 percent right. It won't be much longer before Luck owns the AFC.

Now that Tom Brady AND THE PATRIOTS have their fourth championship, do you see them winning a fifth championship, or is the Patriots window closed with their win?

FTFY  

Football is a team sport.  

The QB has a lot of influence on that team, but they can't do it by themselves.

You take the absolute single best record of NE and compare to the year Brady was out. You believe that's a fair comparison? That makes no sense.

cassel 2 years later won 10 games with another team and was playing like a top 10 QB that year with stats to back it up.   yes, he imploded in the playoffs, but cassel is a capable QB in a good situation. 

I think the sobering reality I had when I watched Jimmy G. put up zero points vs Buffalo the last game of the season in the second half and in the process take multiple huge yardage sacks, is that this thing is over when Brady retires. I love Bill and think he is the best coach of his generation and a decent GM but this team will never see these heights again. He is a once in a lifetime player. When Jordan hung them up, he was never replaced in Chicago or anywhere in the NBA. The same will be true for Brady. And this is why I am enjoying every moment of this as we only have a few more years left if Brady is able to play as long as he believes he can.

AMF, 

I have a serious question for you & please understand this question comes from a place of mutual respect not only for you but the high regard I hold the Patriots organization in since Bill Belichick took over in 2000. Here's my question: Once Tom Brady retires, will you still watch the Patriots despite the struggles they may encounter under a new QB regime? I'm not doubting your team allegiance at all, just your willingness to ride through some lean years once Brady is no longer the face of the franchise.

I ask that question because regardless of whether the Colts suck or are superb on the field...I'm not leaving or abandoning my support & affection for the blue horseshoe. If I can endure Curtis Painter, I can survive anything. haha

Again AMF, I respect you & I'm not calling into question your NE loyalty. I'm just curious how strong your resolve is to ride out the storm, remain a Patriots fan, & let a new QB & head coach win you over. Thank you for contemplating my question seriously in advance.  

Any of my NE friends are free to chime in on this question BTW from GP, D13, Yehoodi, VL, FE, Snowglobe, JM51, or JJ etc. If you choose to remain silent. I will respect that decision too. 

It took guts to right this post Crndg. I've had people question my Colts loyalty before, but it doesn't phase me in the slightest because my frequency on the forum demonstrates my allegiance & it is possible to have a healthy admiration for other squads like the Patriots, Giants, Broncos, Saints, & now the Vikings under Mike Zimmer. 

I will never call Manning a choker because he's played in 3 SBs with 1 Lombardi trophy on his watch. If you wanna say Peyton's post season record isn't perfect that's fine; I just can't call a QB with so many division titles for 2 different teams a choker. Has 18 struggled against NE & Seattle in post seasons? Yes, he has but NE has INDY's number right now too if we are being honest here. 

I do agree though that NE winning the SB against the Legion of Boom has taken the air out of deflate gate & almost made the controversy irrelevant now. Even if NE pays a fine, they are still a 4 time SB Champion no matter what. Plus, the argument that they haven't won since SpyGate puts that cliche to bed or on it's last rites ritual comedy tour anyway. NE has 3 more rings than INDY now & that fact really infuriates some Colts fans on here. It is what it is. 

Nicely written post again Crndg. Brady is a remarkable QB & Bill was smart to go after Revis Island & Brandon Browner to tighten up their secondary coverage. 

AMF, 

I have a serious question for you & please understand this question comes from a place of mutual respect not only for you but the high regard I hold the Patriots organization in since Bill Belichick took over in 2000. Here's my question: Once Tom Brady retires, will you still watch the Patriots despite the struggles they may encounter under a new QB regime? I'm not doubting your team allegiance at all, just your willingness to ride through some lean years once Brady is no longer the face of the franchise.

I ask that question because regardless of whether the Colts suck or are superb on the field...I'm not leaving or abandoning my support & affection for the blue horseshoe. If I can endure Curtis Painter, I can survive anything. haha

Again AMF, I respect you & I'm not calling into question your NE loyalty. I'm just curious how strong your resolve is to ride out the storm, remain a Patriots fan, & let a new QB & head coach win you over. Thank you for contemplating my question seriously in advance.  

Any of my NE friends are free to chime in on this question BTW from GP, D13, Yehoodi, VL, FE, Snowglobe, JM51, or JJ etc. If you choose to remain silent. I will respect that decision too. 

No offense taken my friend as that is a great question. There are many fans here in NE that only got only the bandwagon after 2001. But that is not me. I began watching football in 1982 when I was 8 years old and fell in love with the Redskins. I just loved Joe Theismann and John Riggins. At that time the NFC was the power house of the NFL so while I did follow the Patriots and always cheered for them, I rooted a lot for the Redskins because they were such a great team back then.

Then 1985 happened when I was 10 and the Pats forever had my heart. Just loved that team with Eason, Collins, Fryar, Tippet. I knew they would lose to the Bears but was so happy when they beat Miami in the old Orange Bowl. After the season, the Pats were lousy until Kraft bought them in 1992 and brought in Bill Parcells who then drafted Bledsoe and off we went on this ridiculous run of success for the last 22 years.

To answer your question, I will definitely follow the Patriots after Brady as I love the team and that will never change. I have mentioned up here before that I was a HUGE Bledsoe fan and still credit him the most for the turn around along with Parcells. I will miss Brady tremendously no doubt as he has been my favorite Patriot of all time but the team will go on and I am kind looking forward to seeing how much they can keep things going in the right direction. I do think if Bill stays after Brady, the team will be competitive but I just don't see this run ever being duplicated unless the football gods somehow drop another QB of his caliber into our lap but I don't see that happening in the league much less for the Pats. Brady is a once in a lifetime player like Jordan. But I will definitely be watching. I just love the sport and the team too much to ever let it go.

THEY WERE CONSECUTIVE SEASONS.

Wow.

So, a compilation of statistics from 2 consecutive seasons, in your opinion, is enough data for a fair assessment? Okay. Let's go 3 (consecutive) seasons then. That's only 1 more than what you're comparing. We'll use 2007, 2008 and 2009. The average wins is 12. Again, that includes the 16-0 season, which NE has only approached twice before at 14-0, but that was in 2004 and 2010. Using some of your dialogue...WOW, REALLY, SERIOUSLY, ETC.

For anyone else reading this response and not knowing the full context, I compliment how good NE has been over the years, suggesting they would be good even without Brady, and ViriLudant takes me to task. Post whatever you like in response, ViriLudant. I'll waste no more time trying to defend complimenting NE because of your misinterpretation.

Please, do not pretend you're on terra firma here. You were the one who claimed that Brady was not as important to the team as people claim based on Cassel's performance.

The Patriots didn't even make the playoffs with Cassel's, despite going 18-1 the ear before.

Your argument fails right there.

Please, do not pretend you're on terra firma here. You were the one who claimed that Brady was not as important to the team as people claim based on Cassel's performance.

The Patriots didn't even make the playoffs with Cassel's, despite going 18-1 the ear before.

Yet NE made the playoffs in 2009 with only a 10-6 record with Brady playing. WOW, REALLY, SERIOUSLY, ETC.

Posted · Hidden by Nadine, February 5, 2015 - off topic and personal
Hidden by Nadine, February 5, 2015 - off topic and personal

It's amazing, ViriLudant. You have to be the most combative NE fan on the Colts' forum. There are a few NE fans posting here that are a pleasure to engage in dialogue. They are respectful, intelligent, and can get their thoughts, opinions and points out here in a cordial manner. On the other hand, most of your posts are defensive and suggest the person to whom you're responding is an *. i.e. you ending many posts with REALLY, WOW, AMAZING...I bet you have high blood pressure.

cassel 2 years later won 10 games with another team and was playing like a top 10 QB that year with stats to back it up.   yes, he imploded in the playoffs, but cassel is a capable QB in a good situation. 

That's my point. NE has been an all-around excellent TEAM for several years. I believe any top QB could be plugged in to that system and have success. I don't know that NE would have the same level of success, but would still be a very good team. 

The year after Manning left Tennessee they went 13-0 and won the national championship with Tee Martin, a 5th round draft pick that failed in the NFL.  What does that say about Manning?

In 1968 Unitas got injured and a career backup in Earl Morrell came in and lead the Colts to a 13-1 season and won the NFL Championship, and some consider that team the best team in NFL history.  Morrell won the MVP that season.  What does that say about Unitas' resume being on those great Colts teams?

In 2000 the Pats when 5-11 and were 0-2 when Brady took over for Bledsoe, went on to go 11-3 and win the SB, what does the 5-13 pats say about Brady with that same team?

Matt Cassell went 10-5 with the awful Chiefs a few years after going 10-5 with the pats, what does that say about Matt Cassell? 

Bottom line it is not an absolute plug and play as you make it out to be, otherwise Unitas is just along for the ride with the Colts, Brady saved a struggling franchise and Manning can't win the big one and once he is gotten out of the way his team can finally get to the promise land.  But you and I both know those are not the storylines and realities, and neither is what happened in 2008.   it is continuum among the teams and players, and it is not just a plug and play logic.  

QBs help their teams to win but you need a good team around them along with great coaching.  I think a great QB can make a difference in a few games, but it is not a great as some may think. 

The year after Manning left Tennessee they went 13-0 and won the national championship with Tee Martin, a 5th round draft pick that failed in the NFL.  What does that say about Manning?

In 1968 Unitas got injured and a career backup in Earl Morrell came in and lead the Colts to a 13-1 season and won the NFL Championship, and some consider that team the best team in NFL history.  Morrell won the MVP that season.  What does that say about Unitas' resume being on those great Colts teams?

In 2000 the Pats when 5-11 and were 0-2 when Brady took over for Bledsoe, went on to go 11-3 and win the SB, what does the 5-13 pats say about Brady with that same team?

Matt Cassell went 10-5 with the awful Chiefs a few years after going 10-5 with the pats, what does that say about Matt Cassell? 

Bottom line it is not an absolute plug and play as you make it out to be, otherwise Unitas is just along for the ride with the Colts, Brady saved a struggling franchise and Manning can't win the big one and once he is gotten out of the way his team can finally get to the promise land.  But you and I both know those are not the storylines and realities, and neither is what happened in 2008.   it is continuum among the teams and players, and it is not just a plug and play logic.  

QBs help their teams to win but you need a good team around them along with great coaching.  I think a great QB can make a difference in a few games, but it is not a great as some may think. 

I'm not making out to be a simple plug and play. There are a lot of dynamics, moving parts. It is a team sport after all. All I'm suggesting is NE would be an excellent team even without Brady, assuming they had another top QB in his place. I am complimenting the NE team. That doesn't mean the team will necessarily be good in 5 years once/if Brady is gone. The team may not be as good. BB may be gone. As I posted before, I think it's a little easier to tag a team as the best than a single player.

Posted · Hidden by Nadine, February 5, 2015 - name callilng and start of a fight
Hidden by Nadine, February 5, 2015 - name callilng and start of a fight

Yet NE made the playoffs in 2009 with only a 10-6 record with Brady playing. WOW, REALLY, SERIOUSLY, ETC.

The Patriots in 2008 had the 2nd easiest schedule in nfl history (at the time, now I believe it is 3rd)

They failed to beat a single team with a winning record. Not a single one.. all 5 games they lost were against teams over .500

This was the same team from the year prior that was a miracle helmet catch away from an undefeated season and immortality. Their entire roster was intact, the only piece they were missing was Brady with his injury and they went from being an unstoppable juggernaut of a team that pounded opponents into dust to a team that couldn't win any games against clubs with a winning record and didn't even make it into the playoffs

To say that they didn't miss a beat with Cassel shows a shocking level of ignorance. Winning 7 less games is a huge amount..

as a comparison, Tebows Broncos made it to the divisional round of the playoffs the year before Manning took over. Manning took them to the divisional round as well, so the drop off from Manning to Tebow pales in comparison to the drop off from Brady to Cassel

Posted · Hidden by Nadine, February 5, 2015 - quoting removed post
Hidden by Nadine, February 5, 2015 - quoting removed post

The Patriots in 2008 had the 2nd easiest schedule in nfl history (at the time, now I believe it is 3rd)

They failed to beat a single team with a winning record. Not a single one.. all 5 games they lost were against teams over .500

This was the same team from the year prior that was a miracle helmet catch away from an undefeated season and immortality. Their entire roster was intact, the only piece they were missing was Brady with his injury and they went from being an unstoppable juggernaut of a team that pounded opponents into dust to a team that couldn't win any games against clubs with a winning record and didn't even make it into the playoffs

To say that they didn't miss a beat with Cassel shows a shocking level of ignorance. Winning 7 less games is a huge amount..

as a comparison, Tebows Broncos made it to the divisional round of the playoffs the year before Manning took over. Manning took them to the divisional round as well, so the drop off from Manning to Tebow pales in comparison to the drop off from Brady to Cassel

Are you calling me shockingly ignorant? I want to clarify this comment before moving on.

Posted · Hidden by Nadine, February 5, 2015 - name calling and fight
Hidden by Nadine, February 5, 2015 - name calling and fight

Are you calling me shockingly ignorant? I want to clarify this comment before moving on.

If you believe that the Patriots were the same team with Matt Cassel as they were with Tom Brady, then yes on this particular subject I would say you're ignorant to the context and facts

Posted · Hidden by Nadine, February 5, 2015 - name calling and fight
Hidden by Nadine, February 5, 2015 - name calling and fight

If you believe that the Patriots were the same team with Matt Cassel as they were with Tom Brady, then yes on this particular subject I would say you're ignorant to the context and facts

I wont' stoop to your level as to suggest the same about you, but if you read all my posts, perhaps you would have a better idea of what I'm saying. I NEVER said anywhere the Patriots were the same team with Matt Cassell. Do a little more homework before you suggest someone is shockingly ignorant.

I'm not making out to be a simple plug and play. There are a lot of dynamics, moving parts. It is a team sport after all. All I'm suggesting is NE would be an excellent team even without Brady, assuming they had another top QB in his place. I am complimenting the NE team. That doesn't mean the team will necessarily be good in 5 years once/if Brady is gone. The team may not be as good. BB may be gone. As I posted before, I think it's a little easier to tag a team as the best than a single player.

Yes this is true about all great teams and great QBs, which was my point.  The Broncos, Colts, Packers, Seahawks, and so on.  Too many people like to say that the "QB carries a team", "he has to do more that him", "the team relies on him" and "he should get the MVP over the other guy cause what he as to do with his team" and so on.   I don't listen to any of them, great QBs will help a team but will really only account for a few wins imo.  And this goes for Brady as well as any other great QB we have seen in or lifetimes.

Yes the Pats are a great team and finally we have some great play makers on the team now, unlike in past few years.  But it takes time to gather the playmakers and we have them now, and were healthy going into the playoffs which was great for us.  But I do agree with you that QBs get too much credit for their team's performance, a great QB can make a difference but only in a few games.  

I don't see patriots cheating or getting lucky and winning a 5th SB! Edelman and Blount are classless same as Brady!!

No, a fan of a team that:

1. Has the 4th most PED suspensions over the past 5 years,

2. Has a player who headbutted someone,

3. Has 3 players arrested in the past month or two,

4. Has an owner arrested for DUI,

May not want to throw stones .

No offense taken my friend as that is a great question. There are many fans here in NE that only got only the bandwagon after 2001. But that is not me. I began watching football in 1982 when I was 8 years old and fell in love with the Redskins. I just loved Joe Theismann and John Riggins. At that time the NFC was the power house of the NFL so while I did follow the Patriots and always cheered for them, I rooted a lot for the Redskins because they were such a great team back then.

Then 1985 happened when I was 10 and the Pats forever had my heart. Just loved that team with Eason, Collins, Fryar, Tippet. I knew they would lose to the Bears but was so happy when they beat Miami in the old Orange Bowl. After the season, the Pats were lousy until Kraft bought them in 1992 an brought in Bill Parcells who then drafted Bledsoe and off we went on this ridiculous run of success for the last 22 years.

To answer your question, I will definitely follow the Patriots after Brady as I love the team and that will never change. I have mentioned up here before that I was a HUGE Bledsoe fan and still credit him the most for the turn around along with Parcells. I will miss Brady tremendously no doubt as he has been my favorite Patriot of all time but the team will go on and I am kind looking forward to seeing how much they can keep things going in the right direction. I do think if Bill stays after Brady, the team will be competitive but I just don't see this run ever being duplicated unless the football gods somehow drop another QB of his caliber into our lap but I don't see that happening in the league much less for the Pats. Brady is a once in a lifetime player like Jordan. But I will definitely be watching. I just love the sport and the team too much to ever let it go.

Thank you AMF for such a thoughtful, elaborate, & intricately detailed answer. I remember the Joe Gibbs Lombardi winning era quite well when that organization was very competitive & fun to watch. I also recall the 85 SB Shuffle Bears, Mike Ditka, Jim McMahon, & Buddy Ryan's smothering defense like yesterday especially with Mike Singletary & Richard Dent & yes "The Refrigerator" Perry too. 

I admire your devotion to NE. Sorry your Patriots lost the SB to Green Bay in 1996 BTW. That Desmond Howard kick off return for a TD sealed a Packers victory over Bill Parcels team that year. I did like Drew Bledsoe too & when Tom Brady won the starting QB job Drew was very professional about the whole situation. I really respected him for his composure that season. Drew was always very supportive of Tom & vice versa. Yeah, Brady is a 1 in million HOF QB & I do admire his continued humility. When I say that I am happy for Tom & Vince, I truly mean that. 

Your Boston team allegiance is very admirable AMF. I appreciate your contributions & humor on this site & I value your opinion AMF. Keep up the outstanding work!  :thmup:

AMF, 

Oh absolutely. I watched when Hugh Millen and Tommy Hodson were back there behind center, so... those "lean years" you mention are familiar enough. There were a lot of them back in the old days!