Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Alvin Dupree -- OLB

Bud is a great player

Show me. I can't see anything from those clips. Very little burst, no power, no pursuit, no range, doesn't arrive at the ball with any presence, doesn't have an urgency at the snap, doesn't beat anybody off the ball, lets ball carriers run right by him instead of closing down... seriously, it's like he's playing at half speed, all the time.

I went to watch his tape because I keep hearing about how good he's supposed to be. I didn't see anything. I'd be disgusted with that tape if I wasn't so confused. I must be missing it.

Typically why I don't do any film watching until after at least the combine.  Media doesn't really get any indication of the buzz on players until around this time since teams don't really start watching tape until late January anyway.  So, once the combine ends, the clearly overrated prospects get put in their place fairly quickly and at bare minimum, the prospects with significant dissent get made known.

Show me. I can't see anything from those clips. Very little burst, no power, no pursuit, no range, doesn't arrive at the ball with any presence, doesn't have an urgency at the snap, doesn't beat anybody off the ball, lets ball carriers run right by him instead of closing down... seriously, it's like he's playing at half speed, all the time.

I went to watch his tape because I keep hearing about how good he's supposed to be. I didn't see anything. I'd be disgusted with that tape if I wasn't so confused. I must be missing it.

I followed his whole career at UK and those were not representative of his talent

Typically why I don't do any film watching until after at least the combine. Media doesn't really get any indication of the buzz on players until around this time since teams don't really start watching tape until late January anyway. So, once the combine ends, the clearly overrated prospects get put in their place fairly quickly and at bare minimum, the prospects with significant dissent get made known.

I've seen guys overrated and overhyped, of course, but I watched the guy and felt like it was a mean joke. He played lazy. There has to be something to the guy for people to be talking about him being a Day One pick.

http://draftbreakdown.com/players/alvin-dupree/

This is some of the worst tape I've seen. Can't find any reason for any team to want this guy. 

He flashes a quick first step, shows no pass rush moves, struggles to bend and turn the corner I feel at times, Will get washed down, struggles to disengage when blocked to often, I think do to the flashing of the quick first step I'd consider him in the 2nd but he is way to inconsistent with it from what my eye test says, When looking at rush linebackers I compare there first step(most important quality a pass rusher can have in my opinion followed by strength and technique) to guys like Dwight Freeney, Robert Mathis, Jerry Hughes, Vic Beasley, if they don't have it and lack strength I bump them down a round on my board

He flashes a quick first step, shows no pass rush moves, struggles to bend and turn the corner I feel at times, Will get washed down, struggles to disengage when blocked to often, I think do to the flashing of the quick first step I'd consider him in the 2nd but he is way to inconsistent with it from what my eye test says, When looking at rush linebackers I compare there first step(most important quality a pass rusher can have in my opinion followed by strength and technique) to guys like Dwight Freeney, Robert Mathis, Jerry Hughes, Vic Beasley, if they don't have it and lack strength I bump them down a round on my board

Where's the first step on those tapes?

I've seen guys overrated and overhyped, of course, but I watched the guy and felt like it was a mean joke. He played lazy. There has to be something to the guy for people to be talking about him being a Day One pick.

I can't say.  I don't follow college football enough in the regular season.  I guess for now, until something comes out, it's just a waiting game.  I know that doesn't really answer your question, though.

I finally found some speed and suddenness in the Missouri tape. He takes too many steps with his speed rush, but he is at least able to get upfield on tackles. Saw some change of direction from him, too, and some good pursuit. Seems to be a very aware player in the run game, and seemed to sniff out a screen pass before the snap. I watched this tape earlier, but I think they got progressively worse, and the bad started to outweigh the good.

Problem areas are plenty. I don't know if he has short arms, but he plays short-armed, and struggles to shed blocks with his hands. Prevents him from getting in on some run plays when he's set the edge, and it keeps him from working over a tackle when the QB climbs the pocket. No counters as a rusher. Has some functional power, but doesn't arrive at the ball with any force or presence. Likes to loop inside, but can't handle the power of the interior linemen and is prone to take himself out of the play.

I guess I was just expecting to see an elite prospect. A couple of his tapes are just bad. Maybe he was sick or hurt.

I got my eye on Markus Golden in the 3rd in a trade down from the 2nd round as a rotational rush backer, Quick first step, plays the run well, Could develop into a hell of a rush linebacker, Has to use his hands better and develop a go to move and secondary move,

I got my eye on Markus Golden in the 3rd in a trade down from the 2nd round as a rotational rush backer, Quick first step, plays the run well, Could develop into a hell of a rush linebacker, Has to use his hands better and develop a go to move and secondary move,

Golden won't be around in the 3rd.

You really want to see a terrible player with unreal hype, go watch some Shane Ray tape. He's pretty much projected that high because he's fast.

Ha, I like Shane Ray. I haven't bothered to watch any of his tape because he's been projected well into the top 10 in most places, but I did watch a couple of Missouri games. He's definitely a speed rusher, but he's more than just fast. He's explosive, he finishes well, he has the athleticism to bend the corner, I haven't seen him in coverage but I would think he has the range to drop into coverage. He's not great against the run, but if you put him on the strong side, he can set the edge and shed blocks. 

I'm not too interested in watching his tape, but maybe I will now. My initial comparison for him was Barkevious Mingo, not as long, but obviously more about speed and quickness than pass rush talent. Yet, Ray has way more production than Mingo did.

• 3 weeks later...

i like Alvin Dupree i watched the tape against Mississippi St. he worked around the end pushed back his blocker had good acceleration off

his block but overdid it on his pursuit of the QB and left some cross routes open but on the pick he slams the QB out of his shoes i

think he shows great quickness but overall i think from most of what ive seen he can be a very productive pass-rusher i would take him at 29 in a heartbeat

i like Alvin Dupree i watched the tape against Mississippi St. he worked around the end pushed back his blocker had good acceleration off

his block but overdid it on his pursuit of the QB and left some cross routes open but on the pick he slams the QB out of his shoes i

think he shows great quickness but overall i think from most of what ive seen he can be a very productive pass-rusher i would take him at 29 in a heartbeat

Yeah, after watching more of him on draft breakdown I think he may have a lot of potential. The first game I watched (Louisville maybe?) he looked like a total dog.

Yeah, after watching more of him on draft breakdown I think he may have a lot of potential. The first game I watched (Louisville maybe?) he looked like a total dog.

yeah he definitely had a couple pretty bad games but who hasn't and while Kentucky has a few solid defensive playmakers consider the unit as a whole not sure if i saw the Louisville game but he had some bad plays against Florida going against their tackles and the LSU game as well but look at South Carolina and Vanderbilt and he dominated his guy

After seeing Mayock's rankings, I'm gonna watch some more of him. I'm obviously blind.

I think his best fit is Sam Backer, Flashes enough ability to set the edge, Can disengage, Drops back in  zone well But will take bad angles to the ball

iframe width="675" height="550" src="http://www.draftbreakdown.com/gif-embed/?clip=255666&gif=BlueGlamorousBoto"frameborder="0" scrolling="no"></iframe>

Setting the edge well

Ability to drop back in zone below

<iframe width="675" height="550" src="http://www.draftbreakdown.com/gif-embed/?clip=255666&gif=SilentSereneEchidna"frameborder="0" scrolling="no"></iframe>

There is an example or two of him not setting the edge well as well as getting beat dropping back in the same game but I think both of those are more do to poor play recognition skills rather then lack of physical ability

I question his pass rush ability more then anything

Watching his Florida tape, and I definitely see more burst and anticipation. I can see his playmaking ability now. I also read something from a scout that suggests that he's been coached to slow play some "read" plays, especially on the strongside where he lines up mostly. So that might explain some of his lack of explosion. I also see more hustle and range. I still don't like the way he runs, and he doesn't have a great motor, particularly when he gets beat at the snap.

Also, Florida has a TE, #87, Tevin Westbrook, and Dupree wants no part of him. He loses every matchup, and bad, getting pancaked, rocked back, and otherwise whipped by this guy. He's not on anyone's draft radar online right now, but he looks like a nice inline blocker. At least in this game.

• 2 weeks later...

After Dupree showed out at the Combine -- at least in measurables; he didn't do the field work -- I watched the Florida and Missouri tape again. He has suddenness, he can bend around the corner (doesn't do it often, but he can), and has a decent one-two pass rush when he's engaged with a blocker. He's decent setting the edge, but doesn't know how to use his arms to leverage against the blocker and get back into the play. Not consistent at disengaging. He's probably doubled 30 times a game, which says something about how he's viewed by opponents, but he doesn't have any plan against double teams.

He still plays slow, and kind of loafs around at time. I don't see that "glass eater" quality from him, which a LB should have. He doesn't run around with abandon and impose himself on the other team, he doesn't fly around and make plays. He's decent in space, and I'd assume he has a lot of potential there, given his athleticism.

If it's true that he was asked to play slower in college in order to get a better read on plays, that might explain why his tape doesn't add up with his timed numbers. His athlete profile is almost unheard of. He rivals Jadaveon Clowney in terms of size and athleticism, with shorter arms. He outperformed guys like Justin Houston and Aldon Smith in the Combine. Might be a Dwight Freeney kind of athlete, but Freeney had 30 sacks in his last two years in college; Dupree had 15. On paper, the arm length is his only question mark. But on the field, I don't see an explosive playmaker.

This is a good web: http://mockdraftable.com/player/4912/

If I'm relying solely on the tape, Dupree looks/feels like a mid to late second rounder, 50-60 range. But because of his athleticism and potential, he's going to be a top 25 guy. I don't know how I feel about that.

After Dupree showed out at the Combine -- at least in measurables; he didn't do the field work -- I watched the Florida and Missouri tape again. He has suddenness, he can bend around the corner (doesn't do it often, but he can), and has a decent one-two pass rush when he's engaged with a blocker. He's decent setting the edge, but doesn't know how to use his arms to leverage against the blocker and get back into the play. Not consistent at disengaging. He's probably doubled 30 times a game, which says something about how he's viewed by opponents, but he doesn't have any plan against double teams.

He still plays slow, and kind of loafs around at time. I don't see that "glass eater" quality from him, which a LB should have. He doesn't run around with abandon and impose himself on the other team, he doesn't fly around and make plays. He's decent in space, and I'd assume he has a lot of potential there, given his athleticism.

If it's true that he was asked to play slower in college in order to get a better read on plays, that might explain why his tape doesn't add up with his timed numbers. His athlete profile is almost unheard of. He rivals Jadaveon Clowney in terms of size and athleticism, with shorter arms. He outperformed guys like Justin Houston and Aldon Smith in the Combine. Might be a Dwight Freeney kind of athlete, but Freeney had 30 sacks in his last two years in college; Dupree had 15. On paper, the arm length is his only question mark. But on the field, I don't see an explosive playmaker.

If I'm relying solely on the tape, Dupree looks/feels like a mid to late second rounder, 50-60 range. But because of his athleticism and potential, he's going to be a top 25 guy. I don't know how I feel about that.

Guy has real good measurables and everything he did at the combine forced me to go back and watch him some more. However, I still can't get myself to feel good about picking him with a high draft pick.   I just didn't get the impression that he has any "Dawg" in him.  I can see everything you're talking about with the "lack of a motor"/sense of urgency type of comments.  Maybe he can be coached up, and if you can bring it out in him you'll have a real good player.

It looks like he was coached to set the edge more and react rather then just shoot upfield, He has some good acceleration off the snap when he is just pass rushing and just reacting to the snap rather then reading anything.....It looked to me at the 4:43 mark vs Miss State he showed he has some burst to the QB....It only took him 1 second to get into the backfield, Unfortunately he did a poor job of getting past the rb and got cut blocked

Actually I think I'll change my position back towards Dupree.

And I say this after watching this good breakdown of Dupree on a Steelers website.  A lot can be done with him

Kentucky even had Dupree lined up on slot receivers at times.

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2015/01/2015-nfl-draft-player-profiles-kentucky-olb-alvin-dupree/

Teaming Dupree with Mathis and Newsome would be hard to deal with.  We could even use him

like the Pats use Jamie Collins in the passing game I believe. You could have Dupree, Mathis, and

Newsome on the field at the same time.

If we are sitting at Pick #29 or wherever you think and Dupree and Eli Harold are on the board as the BPA

,which one of the two do you think we ought to take?  I could be mistaken but I would kind of lean towards

Harold.

I think Dupree because he has more experience dropping back into space so he can play either OLB role

I'm warming up to him a bit more now.

He seems like a 6-7-8 sacks average kinda player right now to me, Nothing great...and I don't see him producing those numbers his rookie year...We just are not in any position this year to get great pass rush talent unless one drops unexpectedly

He seems like a 6-7-8 sacks average kinda player right now to me, Nothing great...and I don't see him producing those numbers his rookie year...We just are not in any position this year to get great pass rush talent unless one drops unexpectedly

With that speed around the edge I think he could be more than that with some coaching.