Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

a question for all Colts fans about Jim Irsay

maynard327

Okay, considering that Peyton was willing to take even less money than he signed for, does anyone else feel like pooping in a sock and smacking Jim Irsay upside the head with it for insisting that Manning make at least as much as Brady?

I mean, I'm wondering how much less he would have taken? Irsay might have deprived his team and Peyton of getting more impact free agents and robbed Manning of the stamp he could have put on his career as the ultimate team player (even more so than he is seen as now) by taking who knows how much less than he could have had. Irsay, that was very foolish! I've got a sock waitin' for you buddy!

Okay, considering that Peyton was willing to take even less money than he signed for, does anyone else feel like pooping in a sock and smacking Jim Irsay upside the head with it for insisting that Manning make at least as much as Brady?

lulz @ pooping in a sock. You are a colorful fella, maynard.

Irsay is a man of principle. Perhaps this is why he insisted on a "fair" deal.

Peyton didn't take a pay-cut.

The cap drop came from him being down-graded from franchise- to contract-player.

It was just a PR spin.. just look at the front load on that deal, $25m per year for three years. It would've been a $113m contract if the money had stayed the same over all five years.

Peyton just didn't want to look like a skadoosh, and now they're trying to use it to attract FA players, both returning and new...

Personally; If it works, I'm all for it. :applause:

... and, yes, lulz to the poop-sack. :whiteflag:

lulz @ pooping in a sock. You are a colorful fella, maynard.

Irsay is a man of principle. Perhaps this is why he insisted on a "fair" deal.

I understand the sentiment, truly. I mean, he rightfully would have deserved every penny of a $30 mil/year contract, but I think he should have let Peyton call the shots on how little would be acceptable. It kind of comes across like the rich guy at your table in a fancy restaurant that insists on paying the tab, but you're like, 'no, really, I got it', but he just keeps on insisting, not so much as a gesture of generosity, but more so as a gesture of superiority. Know what I mean?

Manning set the tone for this professional, and respectful, relationship before he even got drafted. When he made it abundantly clear that he was intent on spending the entirety of his career on one team.

I don't see any of this as being anything other than solid irrefutable proof that Indy is the gold standard of classy sports franchises.

I just want to say that the entire premise of this thread is ridiculous. Don't get me wrong Maynard, you are entitled to your opinion. I happen to totally disagree with you. Going so much lower like you suggest could have been taken as an insult by Manning and it could have totally blown up, doing immediate AND long-term damage to this team. Manning would have been upset, which would affect the entire team. Other contracts would have been tied up until the contract with Manning would have finally been done. I tone would have been set with other players/agents that Irsay wasn't a straight shooter when it comes to contract negotiations, making it more difficult with nearly every signing from this point on. As it is, Manning is happy and come out looking like a team player. Irsay looks like an owner who cares and personally took it on himself to get the job done. Other contracts are now being signed, making players happy and creating a positive sense on the entire team now, AND the future. Where exactly is the negative??

As far as pooping in a sock, I work with poop every day (it's my job). Personally, I prefer a biodegradable plastic bag myself!

I just want to say that the entire premise of this thread is ridiculous. Don't get me wrong Maynard, you are entitled to your opinion. I happen to totally disagree with you. Going so much lower like you suggest could have been taken as an insult by Manning and it could have totally blown up, doing immediate AND long-term damage to this team. Manning would have been upset, which would affect the entire team. Other contracts would have been tied up until the contract with Manning would have finally been done. I tone would have been set with other players/agents that Irsay wasn't a straight shooter when it comes to contract negotiations, making it more difficult with nearly every signing from this point on. As it is, Manning is happy and come out looking like a team player. Irsay looks like an owner who cares and personally took it on himself to get the job done. Other contracts are now being signed, making players happy and creating a positive sense on the entire team now, AND the future. Where exactly is the negative??

As far as pooping in a sock, I work with poop every day (it's my job). Personally, I prefer a biodegradable plastic bag myself!

It's a shame Jim didn't intervene when Bill was splashing the cash on Bob and Kelvin.

It's a shame Jim didn't intervene when Bill was splashing the cash on Bob and Kelvin.

Apples and oranges, though. Neither is the clear undisputed team leader. The entire team cap and contract situation was different for each player and time. Don't get me wrong...I know what you are saying. But as a business manager, I hire people underneath me to do their jobs. I get out of their way and let them do their work. Irsay has always basically done the same thing. But this situation is TOTALLY different than anything in the past. Now, did those 2 deals prove to be wrong? Yes. But you do what you think is right at the time, and that's what was done with both Bob and Kelvin.

Apples and oranges, though. Neither is the clear undisputed team leader. The entire team cap and contract situation was different for each player and time. Don't get me wrong...I know what you are saying. But as a business manager, I hire people underneath me to do their jobs. I get out of their way and let them do their work. Irsay has always basically done the same thing. But this situation is TOTALLY different than anything in the past. Now, did those 2 deals prove to be wrong? Yes. But you do what you think is right at the time, and that's what was done with both Bob and Kelvin.

Disagree Toobs. I am also a business manager, and manage dozens off staff, and I allow my managers to 'get on with it'. But I keep one eye on proceedings and will jump in if I need to. This situation is only totally different because it's likely to have a happy ending. I also understand where you are coming from!

Peyton deserves the money, no doubt. Whether Irsay should have actually paid him that much, I don't know. Would we have really gone after a major free agent if Manning signed for less?

ive actually been thinking about this 1 for awhile now..i dont think we would have..we got big names needin more money next year..and we got 2 many large contracts now..the colts would put themselves in a tough spot if they were to sign another 10mil a yr guy..its always nice 2 dream tho!

Now that Peyton has agreed to take less than he deserves, the burden is now on Irsay and Polian to produce superbowl championships for ur city. It is frustrating to watch as other teams (NE and NYJ) sign great players to position themselves for championships, while we do nothing but sit idle and hope that our current players blossom into pro-bowl players. Some will. Many will not.

Peyton Manning is the best player to ever play the game. For him to have only one ring is unacceptable. It exposes the flaws in our upper management. Peyton has given Polian every opportunity to sign great players that fill our holes on defense and make our team a candidate for multiple championships over the next five years.

Why don't we do it? Why do we seem to pick up only back-up QB's during free agency, when we need to stip being embarrassed on defense like we were last year by Arian Foster. If we continue to rest on our laurels, we will be a great team, but not a championship team. What's your plan Bill and Jim? What do you plan to do with the gift Peytoin has given you?

Now that Peyton has agreed to take less than he deserves, the burden is now on Irsay and Polian to produce superbowl championships for ur city. .......

Oh ... come on. His signing price is still extremely high as % cap. He agreed to a lower # (good for him), but maybe enough to sign only 1 or 2 players..... no more than 1 or 2.