Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Marvin Harrison and Tony Dungy finalists for HOF Class of '15

MTC

harrison shouldve been a first ballot. dungy should never get in. his sucky tampa 2 scheme prevented peyton from ever winning big. dungy was a joke, idk why people dont see it differently. 

if dungy ever gets in, it will be for squandering the most potential of all time

harrison shouldve been a first ballot. dungy should never get in. his sucky tampa 2 scheme prevented peyton from ever winning big. dungy was a joke, idk why people dont see it differently.

if dungy ever gets in, it will be for squandering the most potential of all time

I know this post is a joke

Sounds about right from someone who calls them self Fire Pagano. Don't let facts get in your way from seeing.

It most be tough when you hate all the coaches. Your comments about Tony Dungy are so far off base it isn't even funny.

Now that is out of the way I'm glad to see Marvin Harrison get in, and think Edge will go next year for sure. Tony has a 139-69 career record, and a Super Bowl win... and is also deserving. Maybe not this year, but sooner than later. 

Love to see everyone * about Dungy if not for him and his "horrible coaching" we would have 0 Super Bowls

Sounds about right from someone who calls them self Fire Pagano. Don't let facts get in your way from seeing.

jim caldwell "led us" to a super bowl... i think its safe to say we wouldve been fine without dungy. Tampa Bay finally won once he left

Curious how many Super Bowls have other coaches won with Peyton Manning?  How many national championships did he win at Tennessee?  Maybe it wasn't Dungy who held Peyton back...  Maybe just maybe Dungy helped Peyton take that last step.

why do people think dungy was good, but not caldwell?

Caldwell is decent, he's proven that by taking over a struggle Ravens offense to the point the OC got fired and then winning a Super Bowl thanks in large part to the play of the QB.  Then he took over the Lions and got them back into the playoffs and of course did what he did here.  I don't think he's as good as Dungy but I don't Caldwell is a bad coach either and frankly gets a bad rap here.

Edge should be in place of Dungy but I expect they will all be in eventually. On a side note I think Tom Moore should get a lot of consideration, I mean he did help Manning for 11 years, He won 1 SB as O Coordinator and 2 back to back as a WR coach

don't go that far either....

My point is that Manning's short comings in the playoffs had very little to do with the coaching and more times than not had to do with the play on the field, and that does go beyond Manning.  We are very quick around here to brush off the players not playing well and put it on the coaches.  The coaches can have the best game plan in the world but if the players don't play that game plan isn't going to do anything. 

If Peyton was truly being held back by coaching namely that of Tony Dungy (which is a theory I completely reject) why hasn't any other coach ever won a Super Bowl with him?  He's had four of them and only one of them has won a Super Bowl with him.  So rather than going Dungy held Manning back maybe Dungy got more out of Manning than any other coach has.  That's not to say Manning is a product of Dungy, that would be equally as false as saying Dungy held him back but I don't think it should be held against Dungy that he only won one Super Bowl with Manning while no other coach has yet to win that many with him. 

jim caldwell "led us" to a super bowl... i think its safe to say we wouldve been fine without dungy. Tampa Bay finally won once he left

and how has that worked out for the Bucs since Gruden won a Super Bowl with Dungy's players?  Last I checked they hired Lovie Smith, off the Dungy coaching tree, to try to get back to where Dungy had them.

The Colts were regressing until Dungy got here, they had gone from 13-3 to 10-6 to 6-10.  Dungy was the final missing peace that turned the Colts into an elite franchise and frankly lead them to winning at a level this franchise had never won at.  If you think that was all just a happy accident that it happened under Dungy that tells us how much you know about football almost as much as your user name of Fire Pagano does. 

Dungy's career accomplishments

1 Super Bowl as a Player 1 as a Head Coach

His career winning % of 69% is 12th highest in league history and 8th highest in the Super Bowl era and third to only Jim Harbaugh and Don Shula for coaches who coached in the salary cap era.  Even more impressive when you consider he did this with the Buccaneers who were maybe the worst franchise in pro-sports before he got there and then the Colts who had not been a consistent winner since their Baltimore days and had been a NFL doormat for the most part since 1980. 

In 13 years as a head coach had one season with a losing record, his first season, and only two with fewer than 10 wins missing the playoffs only twice in 13 years including going the 10 years of his career and only having fewer than 10 wins in that stretch once. 

His 76% career winning % with the Colts is second only to Guy Chamberlin for a coach who coached at least 50 games with one team. 

He was one of the two coaches named to the 2000's all decade team. 

He was the first coach in league history to defeat all 32 teams.

He was the first African American coach to win a Super Bowl. 

He is one of only six men to win a Super Bowl both as a player and a Head Coach and was the third man to accomplish this.

He came up with the Tampa-2 defense.

Won 6 division championships in 13 years.

Reached the AFC or NFC Title game three times. 

He is the winningest coach in history of both the teams he coached in the Bucs and the Colts.

He is 22nd on the NFL's list for most career wins. 

He is also revered for what he has done off the field and all his civic involvement, especially with all-pro dads, and while that alone wont make him a hall of famer it's just one more things that gets tacked on a very impressive resume. 

Marvin Harrison's career accomplishments.

8 time pro-bowler

Super Bowl XLI Champion

3 time All-pro first team

5 time All-pro second team

Was selected as the NFL Alumni WR of the year in 2002

Lead the league in receiving yards and receptions twice

Lead the league in TDs in 2005.

Named to the 2000's all decade team.

7th all-time in league receiving yards

3rd all-time in receptions and is one 10 men with 1,000 catches and is 2nd all-time in receptions for a WR

5th all-time in career receiving touchdowns

NFL record for single season reception mark at 143.

At the time he retired was the Colts career leader in every meaningful career receiving stats there was, he still holds most if not all of them (I think Reggie has closed in on several of them but I don't think Reggie was over taken him yet but I could be wrong.)

Holds several other NFL records that I took from Wikipedia and can be found here, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marvin_Harrison

• Averaged 84.77 receptions per season, which is second to the all time record held by Sterling Sharpe who averaged 85 receptions per season. He had previously been averaging 93 per season until 2007, where he missed the majority of games with a knee injury, resulting in a 20 reception season.
  • 4th most touchdown receptions in a decade (95) 2000–2009
  • 3rd most receiving yards per game throughout a career (76.7 yds/game)
  • 2nd most receiving yards in a decade (10,439) 2000–2009
  • Holds the NFL record for receptions in a single season with 143, set in 2002.
  • Most receptions in a 2 season period (252), 2001–2002; 3 season period (354), 2000–2002; 4 season period (469), 1999–2002; 5 season period (563), 1999–2003; 6 season period (649)[2nd most – surpassed by Wes Welker 2007–2012 seasons, per HMS radio-show], 1999–2004; 7 season period (731), 1999–2005; 8 season period (826), 1999–2006; 9 season period (885), 1998–2006; 10 season period (958), 1997–2006; 11 season period (1,022), 1996–2006.
  • Most receiving yards in a 4 season period (6,322), 1999–2002; 5 season period (7,594), 1999–2003.
  • Most games in a career with at least 8 receptions (51), 9 receptions (32), 11 receptions (12), 12 receptions (8)
  • Most consecutive games with at least 6 receptions (16) and 9 receptions (6)
  • Most consecutive seasons with at least 5 touchdowns (11) – shared with Jerry Rice, Don Hutson, Cris Carter, Tim Brown, Terrell Owens
  • Most consecutive seasons with at least 6 touchdowns (11) – shared with Terrell Owens, Jerry Rice, Don Hutson
  • Most consecutive seasons with at least 5 touchdown receptions (11) – shared with Jerry Rice, Don Hutson, Cris Carter, Tim Brown, Terrell Owens
  • Most consecutive seasons with at least 6 touchdown receptions (11) – shared with Jerry Rice, Don Hutson
  • Most consecutive seasons with at least 10 touchdown receptions (8)
  • Most consecutive seasons with at least 11 touchdown receptions (4)-tied with Lance Alworth, Art Powell
  • Most consecutive seasons with at least 14 touchdown receptions (2)-tied with Jerry Rice
  • Consecutive seasons with 1,400+ receiving yards (4); 1999–2002
  • Consecutive seasons with 100+ receptions (4); 1999–2002
  • Consecutive seasons with 82+ receptions (8); 1999–2006.
  • Most games in a single season (2002) with at least 6 receptions (15), 7 receptions (12), 8 receptions (12), 9 receptions (10), 11 receptions (5).
  • Most games in a season with at least 13 receptions (2) in 1999 – tied with several players
  • 3rd most games in a single season with 10+ receptions (6). Wes Welker and Andre Johnson have 7.
  • Marvin Harrison and Peyton Manning currently hold the record for most completions between a Wide Receiver and Quarterback with 953.
  • Marvin Harrison and Peyton Manning currently hold the NFL record for passing touchdowns between a WR and QB with 112.
  • Marvin Harrison and Peyton Manning currently hold the NFL record for passing yards between a WR and QB with 12,756.
  • Marvin Harrison and Peyton Manning currently hold the NFL record for completions in a season between a WR and QB with 143, 2002
  • Marvin Harrison and Peyton Manning held the NFL record for passing yards in a season between a WR and QB with 1,722, 2002 – broken by Calvin Johnson and Matthew Stafford in 2012
  • Harrison trails only Jerry Rice in 1,500 or more receiving yard seasons. He has 3 such seasons, Jerry Rice had 4.
  • First player to record 2 seasons of 1,600 yards receiving in NFL history, (1999 & 2002).(Torry Holt became the 2nd, (2000 & 2003)
  • First player to have 50+ receptions in his first 11 seasons in NFL history.(Torry Holt became the 2nd on December 27, 2009)
  • With 59 career 100-yard receiving games, Marvin Harrison ranks No. 3 all time behind Jerry Rice (76) and Randy Moss (64).
  • Second-fastest player to achieve 100 receiving touchdowns.
  • Consecutive seasons of 1,000+ all-purpose yards and 10+ touchdown receptions (8), 1999–2006.
  • On December 18, 2006, Marvin Harrison and Indianapolis Colt teammate Reggie Wayne became the only NFL wide receiver tandem to catch 75 receptions and 1,000 yards in 3 straight seasons. The game was on Monday Night and was played against the Cincinnati Bengals.
  • On November 17, 2002, made his 600th career reception against the Dallas Cowboys.
  • On October 12, 2003, made his 700th career reception against the Carolina Panthers. And is the fastest player to do so reaching the mark in 114 games.
  • On November 8, 2004, made his 800th career reception against the Minnesota Vikings. And is the fastest player to do so reaching the mark in 131 games.
  • On November 20, 2005, made his 900th career reception against the Cincinnati Bengals. And is the fastest player to do so reaching the mark in 149 career games.
  • On December 10, 2006, made his 1000th reception against the Jacksonville Jaguars. And is the fastest player to do so reaching the mark in just 167 career games.
  • On December 28, 2008, made his 1,100th career reception against the Tennessee Titans in his last regular season game and his last game in Indianapolis. He is the fastest player to do so reaching the mark in just 190 career games. Half way through the second quarter, he moved into second place for most receptions all time with 1,102, trailing only Jerry Rice.
  • Most receptions over 1st 7 seasons (665), 8 seasons (759), 9 seasons (845), 10 seasons (927), 11 seasons (1,022) and 13 seasons (1,102) seasons of career of any NFL receiver
  • Most consecutive games with a reception to start a career (190)
  • Most average receptions per game in a career (5.8) – 1996–2008
  • Most consecutive games with 8+ receiving yards (190), (206 if counting playoffs) – every game
  • Most consecutive games with a 6+ yard reception (190), (206 if counting playoffs) – every game
  • Most consecutive games with an 8+ yard reception (177), (192 if counting playoffs)
  • Marvin Harrison is in third place for the most consecutive games with a reception with 190 (206 counting playoffs), only behind Jerry Rice who had 274 and Tony Gonzalez who has 196 as of the end of the 2012 season.

Harrison should have went last year as a first ballot why he didn't I don't know I hold my opinion that the league loves to snub the colts however and whenever they can because of how we left Baltimore, Dungy on the other hand probably not the only reason he had so many wins as a head coach was because of Manning and really his defensive and Oline philosophies resulted in a decade of bad defenses and a worse o line... but we always had Manning Harrison and Wayne

Harrison should have went last year as a first ballot why he didn't I don't know I hold my opinion that the league loves to snub the colts however and whenever they can because of how we left Baltimore, Dungy on the other hand probably not the only reason he had so many wins as a head coach was because of Manning and really his defensive and Oline philosophies resulted in a decade of bad defenses and a worse o line... but we always had Manning Harrison and Wayne

The o-line under Dungy was extremely good and in fact was the main reason we won the Super Bowl game if people recall.  The line feel apart when Dungy left which happened to be a year after the Scott was lost in free agency and Glenn retired.  Still in 2007 they were pretty good the first half of the season. 

I think Marvin was passed over last year for Andre Reed.  Reed got in so I think Marvin should be next in line at the WR position. 

The o-line under Dungy was extremely good and in fact was the main reason we won the Super Bowl game if people recall.  The line feel apart when Dungy left which happened to be a year after the Scott was lost in free agency and Glenn retired.  Still in 2007 they were pretty good the first half of the season. 

I think Marvin was passed over last year for Andre Reed.  Reed got in so I think Marvin should be next in line at the WR position. 

The line was not good what made it look good was Mannings ability to get rid of the ball so fast, we never had a run game, Edge could have been great but was only good because of the line, Addai could have been better but never had blocking so basically became a check down receiver/run blocker. The Colts havnt had a good Oline since the Pre Manning Era

The line was not good what made it look good was Mannings ability to get rid of the ball so fast, we never had a run game, Edge could have been great but was only good because of the line, Addai could have been better but never had blocking so basically became a check down receiver/run blocker. The Colts havnt had a good Oline since the Pre Manning Era

How would you like to judge an o-line?

Under Dungy they produced a 1,000 yard back every year except for his first season here when Edge was coming off a major knee injury and he ran for 989 yards and Dungy's last season here.  They also did this while Manning was one of the least sacked QBs in the league and he regularly had a lot of time to throw.

Dungy had Addai for three years, the first year Addai had 1,000 yards coming off the bench the Colts won the Super Bowl thanks in large part to Addai.  His second year Addai went to the pro-bowl and no he didn't get there because he was so popular he got there because he ran for 12 TDs had over 1,000 yards rushing caught almost 50 passes and three more TDs.  Addai's best two seasons came under Dungy and behind the line before they had the fall off in 2008. 

During that time Glenn went to three pro-bowls and Saturday went to three pro-bowls.  Also they helped produce a pro-bowl running back three times. 

So anyway you would judge an o-line the o-line was good under Dungy until his last year here when Lilja's injury, Glenn's retirement, the loss of Scott, and Saturday and Diem aging became too much to overcome.  The poor line play was more under Caldwell and has continued on Pagano but that also has a lot to do with the personal has not been very good.  However, that's another debate. The line was more decent when Dungy was here the idea that they weren't is false.