Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Never in my life (Manziel)

danlhart87

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He didn't get his first start until Week 15 when the Browns had no other choice due to how bad Hoyer was playing. Hoyer got a couple starts in 2013 before he got hurt but other than that before this year he had been a career backup with New England, Pittsburgh, and Arizona. I'm not saying that Manziel should have come in and set the NFL on fire, I'm just saying that with all his hype and him being a first round pick he should have at least been able to win the starting job earlier in the season and show some promise as a rookie and the fact that he didn't shows that A) the Browns coaches don't think very highly of him and B) That he's clearly not anywhere near ready to be a starting NFL quarterback let alone the superstar that he thinks he is.

Aaron Rodgers is the perfect example that bench doesn't necessarily mean that you are bad. The Browns were winning; They weren't going to turn away from their quarterback who was perfectly healthy just because. Johnny has an offseason to work on his craft. We will see if he is the starter next season.

No professional has to be obsessed with his craft. Trust me, I know this first hand. You can handle your business and have fun too. Throwing a night before is something a *gasp* 21 year old kid would do! You have no idea if he "gets it". And no player is a bust after one season much less so two games. Try again.

Yeah and he's obviously not able to have "fun" and be responsible and take care of his job so... he's messing it up and doing so quickly. If partying and having fun is more important than go do that. Because he's obviously shown so far he can't handle both in a responsible way. And he's not gonna get a whole bunch of chances.

Yeah and he's obviously not able to have "fun" and be responsible and take care of his job so... he's messing it up and doing so quickly. If partying and having fun is more important than go do that. Because he's obviously shown so far he can't handle both in a responsible way. And he's not gonna get a whole bunch of chances.

I think his coaches will decide how many chances he gets, not the media or fans.

Orton was holding out for a trade and Geno wasn't the backup

Johnny isn't a back-up either. He was put on IR, that's why he wasn't on the field the last game of the season. And you asked when were the last back-up quarterbacks to be fined...well Geno was a back-up for two games this year, and Orton was fined as a back-up not too long before that. I answered your question. Doesn't matter the reasons.

Johnny isn't a back-up either. He was put on IR, that's why he wasn't on the field the last game of the season. And you asked when were the last back-up quarterbacks to be fined...well Geno was a back-up for two games this year, and Orton was fined as a back-up not too long before that. I answered your question. Doesn't matter the reasons.

Either way, its the same type of company. Orton was never very good and Geno will be out of the league soon. Johnny will be right behind him

Either way, its the same type of company. Orton was never very good and Geno will be out of the league soon. Johnny will be right behind him

Lol you are grasping at straws. Orton played for ten years for five different teams. If Johnny can play for ten years, even if he doesn't win a Super Bowl, he'll prove the haters wrong.

Lol you are grasping at straws. Orton played for ten years for five different teams. If Johnny can play for ten years, even if he doesn't win a Super Bowl, he'll prove the haters wrong.

Kyle Orton was a fourth round pick and was a backup for most of his career. He was also known as a hard worker. Johnny is the exact opposite of a hard worker

Kyle Orton was a fourth round pick and was a backup for most of his career. He was also known as a hard worker. Johnny is the exact opposite of a hard worker

You didn't say anything about work ethic or draft status before but now all of a sudden that is a factor in your argument? Lol. Johnny will be just fine. No one comes into the league a finished product.

You didn't say anything about work ethic or draft status before but now all of a sudden that is a factor in your argument? Lol. Johnny will be just fine. No one comes into the league a finished product.

Everyone i have ever seen is closer to a finished product than Johnny. He still didn't know the playbook when he became "the starter"

The fact his coach said he was still struggling calling plays after his abysmal showing in his first start

I didn't hear anything like that. Johnny practiced as the starter all week and went and played two games. If he didn't know the playbook, the coaches would have pulled him and put Hoyer back in.

More often then not he was projected as a first rounder with big play ability though. The only red flags were his untraditional mechanics and his attitude/maturity level.

The only red flags? If those are the only flags then they must have been the size of a bus. Those are major barriers for most players in the NFL let alone at the QB position. Especially the attitude and maturity level. How is he supposed to command an offense when he can't even command himself? What has he done to deserve so much of your faith?

Those are major barriers for most players in the NFL let alone at the QB position. Especially the attitude and maturity level. How is he supposed to command an offense when he can't even command himself?

Agreed. I just find the whole drafting of Johnny Manziel in the first round ironic, considering it was the Browns in the movie Draft Day who wisely avoided drafting a QB deemed a party animal. The fictional Browns in the movie proved the real Browns as being incompetent. They should have listened to Kevin Costner ...

Draft-Day1.jpg

In other news.....Johnny Manziel evidently had drinks thrown at him in a Houston bar Sunday night.

"Manziel left to change his shirt, and after the hecklers were removed, he and his pals returned to the nightclub where, according to TMZ, he “partied without incident for the rest of the night and had a great time.”

Well.....that's a relief!!

Way to study that playbook, Johnny!!! :lol:  :funny:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/early-lead/wp/2015/01/05/johnny-manziel-reportedly-has-drinks-thrown-at-him-at-a-nightclub/

The only red flags? If those are the only flags then they must have been the size of a bus. Those are major barriers for most players in the NFL let alone at the QB position. Especially the attitude and maturity level. How is he supposed to command an offense when he can't even command himself? What has he done to deserve so much of your faith?

Good thing mechanics and attitude aren't permanent. And even if they were, there are still plenty of players in the NFL now that you cheer for who have attitude problems and who throw parties and do similar things to John Manziel. How is he not in command of himself? Does he have the spirit of a party animal inside of him, controlling his every move? What has he done to make you think he can't change?

Good thing mechanics and attitude aren't permanent. And even if they were, there are still plenty of players in the NFL now that you cheer for who have attitude problems and who throw parties and do similar things to John Manziel. How is he not in command of himself? Does he have the spirit of a party animal inside of him, controlling his every move? What has he done to make you think he can't change?

The last thing I will do is waste my time arguing with you over the character of Manziel. He is a prima donna. Period.

That explains why he went in the first round and was projected as such. I think he'll be alright. All he needs is to refine his mechanics in the offseason.

Thats just it... He has said it's the offseason, His time to enjoy life and not worry about football. If he wants to be a pro player he needs to worry about it 365 24 hrs a day. He can't play in a system, all he tries to do is play backyard football and try to make plays on the go. That won't work in the NFL the other players are to fast.

In other news.....Johnny Manziel evidently had drinks thrown at him in a Houston bar Sunday night.

"Manziel left to change his shirt, and after the hecklers were removed, he and his pals returned to the nightclub where, according to TMZ, he “partied without incident for the rest of the night and had a great time.”

Well.....that's a relief!!

Way to study that playbook, Johnny!!! :lol:  :funny:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/early-lead/wp/2015/01/05/johnny-manziel-reportedly-has-drinks-thrown-at-him-at-a-nightclub/

I think he's already shot himself in the foot. Cleveland would be ignorant to keep this guy in their locker room.

The last thing I will do is waste my time arguing with you over the character of Manziel. He is a prima donna. Period.

LOL rookie. So you quote me but don't want to have a discussion or "argue"? Manziel is an NFL starting quarterback. Period.

Thats just it... He has said it's the offseason, His time to enjoy life and not worry about football. If he wants to be a pro player he needs to worry about it 365 24 hrs a day. He can't play in a system, all he tries to do is play backyard football and try to make plays on the go. That won't work in the NFL the other players are to fast.

I don't think a player has to push himself every single day of the year just because they are in the NFL. Even Tom Brady and Peyton Manning take breaks because the toll football takes on you for just sixteen games a year is bad enough. Johnny should definitely be working on chemistry with his receivers and stuff though no doubt, but the real NFL season isn't even over yet so I don't have a problem with him relaxing right now.

LOL rookie. So you quote me but don't want to have a discussion or "argue"? Manziel is an NFL starting quarterback. Period.

Qwiz I've got a lot of time for you on here but I think you're wrong on this one. At best, it's yet to be disproved that he's a NFL calibre QB. 

Going back to your previous post the thing that has shown me he hasn't got the ability to change is that he does seem to make the same mistakes over and over again (partying before responsibility). Now you could argue he's a young man let him have his fun, others have, but the bottom line is if you're not producing on the field people will poke fingers at you for your social life.

Having seen the same rhetoric as well from him about having to grow up etc etc. to be followed up by yet another incident you do have to wonder if he will ever get it. Still plenty of time to prove naysayers like myself wrong. 

Qwiz I've got a lot of time for you on here but I think you're wrong on this one. At best, it's yet to be disproved that he's a NFL calibre QB. 

Going back to your previous post the thing that has shown me he hasn't got the ability to change is that he does seem to make the same mistakes over and over again (partying before responsibility). Now you could argue he's a young man let him have his fun, others have, but the bottom line is if you're not producing on the field people will poke fingers at you for your social life.

Having seen the same rhetoric as well from him about having to grow up etc etc. to be followed up by yet another incident you do have to wonder if he will ever get it. Still plenty of time to prove naysayers like myself wrong. 

Manziel kept his nose clean all season. Only when he became the starter and got hurt did the critics start coming out because before then, there was nothing they could say about him. He's a guy people love to hate. There was that incident in the apartment complex but those details are murky and according to witnesses it wasn't Manziel's fault. The party was thrown after his season was over and it only got media attention because Josh Gordon ended up getting suspended for it. I think people get too worked up over what Manziel does. You're right though; If he doesn't produce then it is his fault and he will deserve the criticism. But he's only played in two games so far, and you are also right about there being plenty of time to work out the kinks.

Manziel kept his nose clean all season. Only when he became the starter and got hurt did the critics start coming out because before then, there was nothing they could say about him. He's a guy people love to hate. There was that incident in the apartment complex but those details are murky and according to witnesses it wasn't Manziel's fault. The party was thrown after his season was over and it only got media attention because Josh Gordon ended up getting suspended for it. I think people get too worked up over what Manziel does. You're right though; If he doesn't produce then it is his fault and he will deserve the criticism. But he's only played in two games so far, and you are also right about there being plenty of time to work out the kinks.

The Texans need a QB.......Im sure you are hoping they make a trade for him. I know I am :thmup:

The Texans need a QB.......Im sure you are hoping they make a trade for him. I know I am :thmup:

Given the confidence and continued poise Case Keenum showed, along with how Mallett performed prior to hurting himself before the Bengals game, I think the Texans have something in there to work with going forward. I wanted Manziel in Houston but it isn't happening.

Am I actually supposed to be offended by this? But since you want to play...even though I am probably spitting into the wind with you.

David Carr - 1st Overall Pick

JaMarcus Russell - 1st Overall Pick
Ryan Leaf - 2nd Overall Pick
Tim Couch - 1st Overall Pick
Kordell Stewart - 60th Overall Pick
Charlie Frye - 67th Overall Pick
Jason Campbell - 25th Overall Pick
Rex Grossman* - 22nd Overall Pick
Byron Leftwich - 7th Overall Pick - 
Chad Pennington - 18th Overall Pick
Brady Quinn - 22nd Overall Pick
Kyle Boller - 19th Overall Pick
Tim Tebow - 25th Overall Pick

All are "starting" QB's who didn't work out. I fail to see the point in your argument about Manziel being a starter. Especially considering his first start resulted in him going 10 of 18 for a whopping 80 yards and two interceptions that resulted in a MASSIVE passer rating of 27.3. The "running" QB was also sacked three times and they lost 30-0. Mind you this all came as a result of Hoyer not playing well. Manziel didn't earn the start. Hoyer lost it. 

Clean all season? I suppose the preseason game where he flipped the bird doesn't count since the season hadn't started. He is a hack. He does not have the maturity needed to act like an adult and you think he is the future in Cleveland?

He has also played in three games. Not two. But who is counting?

Am I actually supposed to be offended by this? But since you want to play...even though I am probably spitting into the wind with you.

David Carr - 1st Overall Pick

JaMarcus Russell - 1st Overall Pick

Ryan Leaf - 2nd Overall Pick

Tim Couch - 1st Overall Pick

Kordell Stewart - 60th Overall Pick

Charlie Frye - 67th Overall Pick

Jason Campbell - 25th Overall Pick

Rex Grossman* - 22nd Overall Pick

Byron Leftwich - 7th Overall Pick -

Chad Pennington - 18th Overall Pick

Brady Quinn - 22nd Overall Pick

Kyle Boller - 19th Overall Pick

Tim Tebow - 25th Overall Pick

All are "starting" QB's who didn't work out. I fail to see the point in your argument about Manziel being a starter. Especially considering his first start resulted in him going 10 of 18 for a whopping 80 yards and two interceptions that resulted in a MASSIVE passer rating of 27.3. The "running" QB was also sacked three times and they lost 30-0. Mind you this all came as a result of Hoyer not playing well. Manziel didn't earn the start. Hoyer lost it.

Rook you've been here for like 5 posts, don't act like you know anything about me or my posting style. You spoke in absolutes. I spoke in absolutes. Manziel is a starter now, end of story. And there is plenty of time to prove the doubters wrong.

Rook you've been here for like 5 posts, don't act like you know anything about me or my posting style. You spoke in absolutes. I spoke in absolutes. Manziel is a starter now, end of story. And there is plenty of time to prove the doubters wrong.

When did Pettine announce the starters for next season?

Clean all season? I suppose the preseason game where he flipped the bird doesn't count since the season hadn't started. He is a hack. He does not have the maturity needed to act like an adult and you think he is the future in Cleveland?

He has also played in three games. Not two. But who is counting?

He flipped the bird. So did Geno, no big deal came of it. He is 21, the guy will mature. And whoop de doo, he threw one pass in a third game. But you definitely look smart by pointing out the game.