Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

CJ Spiller

My fellow fans starting to sound desperate now. What's the difference between spiller and trent? Maybe except the fact you get 1 or 2 break out td runs per year from cj and injuries.

If there was that small of a difference the Bills would have traded Spiller away along time ago in similar fashion to what the Browns did to Trent.

If there was that small of a difference the Bills would have traded Spiller away along time ago in similar fashion to what the Browns did to Trent.

The Bills are more like the Colts are with Richardson. Sitting around hoping he'll be good so he won't look like a 1st round bust. It's not hard to see why they haven't traded him away.

The Bills are more like the Colts are with Richardson. Sitting around hoping he'll be good so he won't look like a 1st round bust. It's not hard to see why they haven't traded him away.

I don't think so.  Kind of hard to get anything going when you don't have a quarterback, and you haven' t had good receivers for most of your career until recently.  Defense can easily stack the box.

Good heavens...

1) CJ Spiller is much better than Trent Richardson.

2) No one cares if a player looks like a bust but fans and media. 

3) Doug Whaley didn't even draft Spiller.

No. The shape our o-line is in I don't think it would matter if we had Spiller. I am in the camp of fixing the o-line then looking at other position players.

I doubt we'd have to give away a whole lot to get spiller in FA.  Line can be fixed through the draft, and firing this O Line coach.

I doubt we'd have to give away a whole lot to get spiller in FA.  Line can be fixed through the draft, and firing this O Line coach.

Why is your answer to everything is firing someone? The 0-line coach can only work with the players he has. So you think he has good o-linemen across the board to work with?

Why is your answer to everything is firing someone? The 0-line coach can only work with the players he has. So you think he has good o-linemen across the board to work with?

You must not be real familiar with any of my answers because I rarely call on anyone to be fired. When everyone was calling on Pagano to be fired after the Dallas game I said I would reserve my call on the situation until after the playoffs.  I didn't call for his head like some of the others.   

I am not the only voice as of late who feels the O Line coach may need to go.  When the blocking is bad you have to consider all options, and of course I have considered the players as well. I certainly am not going to leave the OL coach out. I've already stated before we may need upgrades at the guard positions.  Tell us why you would not consider that the coach may be the issue as well?   I've even gone so far as to include a possible schematic issue as well.

You must not be real familiar with any of my answers because I rarely call on anyone to be fired. When everyone was calling on Pagano to be fired after the Dallas game I said I would reserve my call on the situation until after the playoffs.  I didn't call for his head like some of the others.   

I am not the only voice as of late who feels the O Line coach may need to go.  When the blocking is bad you have to consider all options, and of course I have considered the players as well. I certainly am not going to leave the OL coach out. I've already stated before we may need upgrades at the guard positions.  Tell us why you would not consider that the coach may be the issue as well?   I've even gone so far as to include a possible schematic issue as well.

Then why start now? Gilbert has one year under his belt with 25 years in the collage ranks. Least we forget he has coached a line that has Luck holding a lot of records. He just has no consistent  linemen to work with at this time. Every time a coach is fired it's back to square one. We have had enough of that in the last three seasons IMO.

Then why start now? Gilbert has one year under his belt.

Start what now?  If you're talking about Gilbert, so did the special teams coach that we had before the guy we have now but Pagano and Co sent him packing.      You have no basis to say it shouldn't be considered, along with saying that none of our guards are any good. 

Then why start now? Gilbert has one year under his belt with 25 years in the collage ranks. Least we forget he has coached a line that has Luck holding a lot of records. He just has no consistent  linemen to work with at this time. Every time a coach is fired it's back to square one. We have had enough of that in the last three seasons IMO.

We've hardly had any coaching turnover in three years. Aside from Pagano being out in 2012, the only two changes have been Pep for Arians, which I think is becoming a net positive, and Tom McMahon replacing Marwan Maalouf, which is a huuuge positive. I don't remember any other coaching changes... we added Chud, but he didn't replace anyone. (Edit: Forgot we lost Goodwin with Arians.)

If you have a particular defense of Joe Gilbert, that would be better than decrying the idea that anyone could possibly think that he's done a less than adequate job. Of all the units on this team, offensive line has been the worst, the least consistent, has seemed to go backward at times, and it could be argued that there's been little to no development of the players he's had to coach. I'm not one who calls for anyone to be fired, but it's not hard to believe that we could do better than Gilbert at this point.

Start what now?  If you're talking about Gilbert, so did the special teams coach that we had before the guy we have now but Pagano and Co sent him packing.      You have no basis to say it shouldn't be considered, along with saying that none of our guards are any good. 

If all you want to do is argue find someone else. Gilbert and every coach is reassessed at the end of every year. Standard procedure. Just because you think he should be fired don't automatically make it a correct call. If you would be so kind as to reread your comment it stated to fire the o-line coach. Your own words.

We've hardly had any coaching turnover in three years. Aside from Pagano being out in 2012, the only two changes have been Pep for Arians, which I think is becoming a net positive, and Tom McMahon replacing Marwan Maalouf, which is a huuuge positive. I don't remember any other coaching changes... we added Chud, but he didn't replace anyone. (Edit: Forgot we lost Goodwin with Arians.)

If you have a particular defense of Joe Gilbert, that would be better than decrying the idea that anyone could possibly think that he's done a less than adequate job. Of all the units on this team, offensive line has been the worst, the least consistent, has seemed to go backward at times, and it could be argued that there's been little to no development of the players he's had to coach. I'm not one who calls for anyone to be fired, but it's not hard to believe that we could do better than Gilbert at this point.

Maybe so but to automatically fire someone it takes more than us shade tree coaches to do it? (sarcasm)  How do we know what Gilbert can and can't do. He has had the position for one season. He was in charge of a line that helped Luck get a couple of TDs and a yard or two? Just saying.

If all you want to do is argue find someone else. Gilbert and every coach is reassessed at the end of every year. Standard procedure. Just because you think he should be fired don't automatically make it a correct call. If you would be so kind as to reread your comment it stated to fire the o-line coach. Your own words.

Don't come along questioning my statement and then when I respond you tell me I'm arguing with you.      I didn't approach you, you bought your question over to me.

I don't want this to come out the wrong way, but it's a forum where people(including myself) state their opinions.  No matter how reasoned any of us sound, none of us really know in the first place because we do not have privy to what the coaches are really thinking.  We can only speculate the great majority of the time.   My statement is my statement, it doesn't have to be truth for you. If you feel Gilbert doesn't need to be fired I'm fine with that stance as well.  It's your stance and I won't hold you back from that.

Maybe so but to automatically fire someone it takes more than us shade tree coaches to do it? (sarcasm)  How do we know what Gilbert can and can't do. He has had the position for one season. He was in charge of a line that helped Luck get a couple of TDs and a yard or two? Just saying.

He's had the job for two seasons. And in those two seasons, the product hasn't been very good. Not that it's all his fault, but I think you can see why he'd be under scrutiny.

And the line coach has little to nothing to do with Luck's production. That's a serious stretch.

Obviously, none of us know anything. But a message board isn't just a cheerleading section. We have opinions, and that's okay. Some people run around screaming about how everyone needs to be fired and everyone sucks, and those are the people who should probably be challenged. But when someone who generally doesn't do that says "yeah, he's not doing such a good job," I don't think that's the time to get huffy. You don't have to agree with him, but krunk isn't waving around a two-sided battle axe trying to cut everyone down. Neither am I.

All I did was quote your own words and questioned you about your comment. That's all. You said fired ....

It's not that you may not agree with my statement on Gilbert being fired, my point of contention was saying that I call for everybody to be fired and it's rare that I call for any of the coaching staff to be fired.  I might say a certain player could perform better than another based on XYZ, or other things but I don't call for coaches to be fired very much at all.

I'll leave it at that.