Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Alex Smith Out Against Chiefs. Chargers Will Win

krunk

I don't know, not having film on a player can be an issue - Daniel messed with us last year in the same, last game of the year.  Actually, the Chiefs rested all their first string players so we didn't know much of anything about the team we played.  You'd think that would make things easy, but they were scrubs playing for their livelihood.  At least we have that film to go with in preparation.  And last year Daniel had an entire week of first string reps to work off of, this week, 2 days.  

LOL I'm still taking the Chiefs. The Ravens getting in is more interesting to the public then the Chargers.

Even before the injury to Smith, we expected the Chiefs to rely on Jamaal Charles and the running game against a limp Chargers run defense that has allowed 100-plus rushing yards in eight of the last 10 games. That ground game will be magnified even more now.

I watched Chase Daniel make a lot of plays at Missouri. I always thought he had the ability to play in the NFL. He only has one career start, coincidentally, against the Chargers last season. He played pretty well in a close loss. He's not replacing anyone dynamic. The Chiefs already have an anemic passing attack. I think he's more than capable of coming in and doing 240 yards on 65% passing, with a TD and maybe a couple of scrambles for first downs. That's all they really need from him. If he can make two or three plays, and avoid turnovers, they have a chance.

I watched Chase Daniel make a lot of plays at Missouri. I always thought he had the ability to play in the NFL. He only has one career start, coincidentally, against the Chargers last season. He played pretty well in a close loss. He's not replacing anyone dynamic. The Chiefs already have an anemic passing attack. I think he's more than capable of coming in and doing 240 yards on 65% passing, with a TD and maybe a couple of scrambles for first downs. That's all they really need from him. If he can make two or three plays, and avoid turnovers, they have a chance.

Chase was a good backup in New Orleans too.

Even if the Chargers win, are they out if Baltimore wins too? I forget how this works but I know they would be both 10-6 if they both win.

If the Ravens get in too, that's 3 teams from the AFC North in the playoffs. How fitting when they had all year to beat up on the NFC South lmao

Chase was a good backup in New Orleans too.

Even if the Chargers win, are they out if Baltimore wins too? I forget how this works but I know they would be both 10-6 if they both win.

If the Ravens get in too, that's 3 teams from the AFC North in the playoffs. How fitting when they had all year to beat up on the NFC South lmao

NO, we beat Baltimore so we get the slot if we win.  Period.  

We played a much, MUCH tougher schedule than any AFC North team, so our wins were against much tougher opponents (not that it matters statistically without going down into the the tie breakers).

Where they played the NFC South we played the NFC West.  We should have beaten the Cardinals, (last second loss in a game we handed to them).  Beat the Seahawks, Beat the Rams.  Beat SF. 

NO, we beat Baltimore so we get the slot if we win.  Period.  

We played a much, MUCH tougher schedule than any AFC North team, so our wins were against much tougher opponents (not that it matters statistically without going down into the the tie breakers).

Where they played the NFC South we played the NFC West.  We should have beaten the Cardinals, (last second loss in a game we handed to them).  Beat the Seahawks, Beat the Rams.  Beat SF. 

Funny how you say you should have beat AZ but say nothing but "Beat SF."  Not too different I don't think... 

Funny how you say you should have beat AZ but say nothing but "Beat SF."  Not too different I don't think... 

Actually significantly different.  Our first game we dropped probably a dozen passes, not pressured to drop by good coverage, dropped as in wide open receivers dropping the ball.  I'm not a fan that makes excuses or excuses her team, ever... in this game, their D didn't cause those errors, we blew it.

Eddy Royal had a horrible game, he and Rivers were not even close to being on the same page.  The D had a stupid, needless penalty after shutting the Cardinals down on 3rd down that let them back in the game on the last drive.  By the way, we played QB #1, not #2 and #3 as other recent teams have and lost.  

SF we were trying to beat ourselves first half, three picks by Rivers is equal I believe to his worst ever.  However, we didn't fold and fought hard to come back second half.   4th and 8 and 4th and 10 conversions.  We earned every bit of that win.  

Actually significantly different.  Our first game we dropped probably a dozen passes, not pressured to drop by good coverage, dropped as in wide open receivers dropping the ball.  I'm not a fan that makes excuses or excuses her team, ever... in this game, their D didn't cause those errors, we blew it.

Eddy Royal had a horrible game, he and Rivers were not even close to being on the same page.  The D had a stupid, needless penalty after shutting the Cardinals down on 3rd down that let them back in the game on the last drive.  By the way, we played QB #1, not #2 and #3 as other recent teams have and lost.  

SF we were trying to beat ourselves first half, three picks by Rivers is equal I believe to his worst ever.  However, we didn't fold and fought hard to come back second half.   4th and 8 and 4th and 10 conversions.  We earned every bit of that win.  

Spoken like a true SD Charger fan. Anyway.. it doesn't matter which QB you played unless Baltimore and Houston or Pittsburg played AZ also.. You also cite SF as a good team . In the last 9 games they have 2 wins. One by 6 over the Giants and the other by 4 over Washington. I mean beating a team that was out of playoff contention coming off 6 losses in 8 games is not really what I'd consider a "signature win." Plus I thought SD was very lucky to win that game. Did I see the AZ game ? No but if SD played poorly , that doesn't mean they should have won it. 

The way Rivers fought in that SF game after being down 21, I am secretly rooting for the Chargers to make the playoffs. If the wild cards are between the Bengals, Steelers and Chargers, there won't be any gimme wild card games for sure. The Ravens will be an easy out, IMO, the above 3 will not be.

Spoken like a true SD Charger fan. Anyway.. it doesn't matter which QB you played unless Baltimore and Houston or Pittsburg played AZ also.. You also cite SF as a good team . In the last 9 games they have 2 wins. One by 6 over the Giants and the other by 4 over Washington. I mean beating a team that was out of playoff contention coming off 6 losses in 8 games is not really what I'd consider a "signature win." Plus I thought SD was very lucky to win that game. Did I see the AZ game ? No but if SD played poorly , that doesn't mean they should have won it. 

You missed all of the points.

1.  AFC South < NFC West.  Period.  AFC North teams did not have near the strength of schedule.

2.  We beat 3 teams in the NFC West and should have won against Arizona.  Anyone who WATCHED that game would likely agree.

3.  Never said signature win, never meant it, see point #1.  Never said SF was a good team.  Division vs Division.

4.  I never make excuses.  I am never a "homer," while a total fan of the Chargers, I am a very realistic fan.  When they play badly or don't deserve to have won. I say so.  If I say San Diego should have won the Arizona game, it's as objective an opinion as any fan is able to give about their team.  And I DID watch the game, 3 times if I remember correctly.

You missed all of the points.

1.  AFC South < NFC West.  Period.  AFC North teams did not have near the strength of schedule.

2.  We beat 3 teams in the NFC West and should have won against Arizona.  Anyone who WATCHED that game would likely agree.

3.  Never said signature win, never meant it, see point #1.  Never said SF was a good team.  Division vs Division.

4.  I never make excuses.  I am never a "homer," while a total fan of the Chargers, I am a very realistic fan.  When they play badly or don't deserve to have won. I say so.  If I say San Diego should have won the Arizona game, it's as objective an opinion as any fan is able to give about their team.  And I DID watch the game, 3 times if I remember correctly.

You also missed points . I said "I" didn't watch the AZ  SD game. I never doubted that you did. My major point was that IMO , I thought that they were lucky to win the SF game after playing so horribly for the first 30 minutes. If they lose that game it was light out. But as a SD fan , it's not unexpected that you view it as great Charger play rather then SF urinating a game away that they had in the bag. Not saying your team doesn't deserve to a WC , just saying I think they were the beneficiaries of a bad football team giving a game away. Anyway , good luck vs KC . I think even with Smith out and KC pretty much eliminated , SD will still have all they can ask for.  

Woooow those lucky Chargers caught another break again and it's against the same team from week 17 last year . What a coincidence.. well it's looking like the Boltz are sneaking again this year .

If the Chargers win this week how do you figure they backed in the playoffs? 10-6 is backing into the playoffs? C-mon Cnr324, your showing your division bias now. :goodluck:

I guess this means the Charges will be getting that other Wildcard spot.

These dudes always have something happen that allows them to sneak

into the playoffs at the last minute all the time.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000449370/article/chiefs-qb-alex-smith-wont-play-against-chargers

Last year, it was a blown call, right?  The Steelers were put out of the playoffs and the Chargers went to Denver.  

Yeah... I had forgotten about that.  Here's a little more detailed report on it:  http://www.nytimes.com/2013/12/31/sports/football/nfl-roundup.html?_r=0

But then... The NFL admitted they took a field goal off of our scoreboard in the Texans game that would have given us the win and then we wouldn't have needed the above field goal: http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000242206/article/nfl-exec-ref-erred-on-penalty-call-in-texanschargers

Crappy calls, missed calls - they stink but they're a reality in the NFL and they do tend to even out across a season.

We WERE lucky last year.  Not that we were in a position to squeak into the playoffs, we earned that with our final month's play, but about 4 billion things had to break our way even on the last day for us to get in.  I didn't think we would and as happened, I didn't think we had the personnel to go very far due to injuries.  

Is it just me or does a lacerated spleen sound like William Wallace's second possible method of medieval execution in Mel Gibson's movie "BraveHeart?"

Those 2 words together sound excruciatingly painful don't they? Good luck on your recovery there Alex Smith. Philip Rivers is gonna slice KC up with no difficulty whatsoever. 

Lacerated Spleen would make a great name for a black metal band straight out of Norway or Sweden wouldn't it? LOL! 

If the Chargers win this week how do you figure they backed in the playoffs? 10-6 is backing into the playoffs? C-mon Cnr324, your showing your division bias now. :goodluck:

For me, it was the fact that they still weren't dead after back to back losses at home to the Patriots and Broncos. Also had ugly games like the Cardinals and the Dolphins games, the Ravens, Raiders, and 49ers were all unable to put them away at home, and they're basically running a patchwork OL from what I've heard. After all that, it's just a matter of win and in.

It's like 2008 and 2013, where they were mostly stomped into the ground all season and are able to pull wins out of their behinds at the end of the season to get in.

For me, it was the fact that they still weren't dead after back to back losses at home to the Patriots and Broncos. Also had ugly games like the Cardinals and the Dolphins games, the Ravens, Raiders, and 49ers were all unable to put them away at home, and they're basically running a patchwork OL from what I've heard. After all that, it's just a matter of win and in.

It's like 2008 and 2013, where they were mostly stomped into the ground all season and are able to pull wins out of their behinds at the end of the season to get in.

So in your opinion if the Chargers get in did they back in? I was only funnin with Cnr324 with my comment. Is winning a game with your back against the wall backing into the playoffs? I guess it could go either way depending on your point of view. I know they always play the Colts tough.

So in your opinion if the Chargers get in did they back in? I was only funnin with Cnr324 with my comment. Is winning a game with your back against the wall backing into the playoffs? I guess it could go either way depending on your point of view. I know they always play the Colts tough.

I wish we had half the luck they do in getting into the playoffs.

Given that the Chargers control their own destiny, I don't consider it "backing in". It's not like last year where the Chargers needed so many things to bounce their way to get in, and in 2008, it took an epic chokejob by the Jay Cutler-led Broncos for the Chargers to get into the playoffs. That year I believe the Broncos were 8-5, 3 games up on the Chargers, and they lost out, allowing the Chargers to get in. But when you have games where the 49ers blow a 21 point lead at home when the Chargers were playing awful all game, ugh.....

I still think it may be a tough game for the Chargers. Even without Alex Smith in, KC was never a pass-heavy team. The game is also in KC which as we all know, is a very tough place to play and win in. Are the Chiefs still even in it? Wouldn't that give them something to play for as well?

Also, would the Chargers get in if they lost and if the Ravens lost? That I might consider backing in...

I wish we had half the luck they do in getting into the playoffs.

Given that the Chargers control their own destiny, I don't consider it "backing in". It's not like last year where the Chargers needed so many things to bounce their way to get in, and in 2008, it took an epic chokejob by the Jay Cutler-led Broncos for the Chargers to get into the playoffs. That year I believe the Broncos were 8-5, 3 games up on the Chargers, and they lost out, allowing the Chargers to get in. But when you have games where the 49ers blow a 21 point lead at home when the Chargers were playing awful all game, ugh.....

I still think it may be a tough game for the Chargers. Even without Alex Smith in, KC was never a pass-heavy team. The game is also in KC which as we all know, is a very tough place to play and win in. Are the Chiefs still even in it? Wouldn't that give them something to play for as well?

Also, would the Chargers get in if they lost and if the Ravens lost? That I might consider backing in...

Buffalo has had a tough time getting into the playoffs & making the ball bounce in their favor no question. I know it doesn't mean much right now B34, but I was very impressed with your defense this year. Kyle Orton really ignited your offense & 2014 is the most competitive I have seen your franchise in quite some time. 

Any way you enter the Playoffs is fine by me...Backwards, forwards, sideways, upside down...Crash the party any way you can...The Bills are rising not falling. Hang your hat on that alright B34. 

Buffalo has had a tough time getting into the playoffs & making the ball bounce in their favor no question. I know it doesn't mean much right now B34, but I was very impressed with your defense this year. Kyle Orton really ignited your offense & 2014 is the most competitive I have seen your franchise in quite some time. 

Any way you enter the Playoffs is fine by me...Backwards, forwards, sideways, upside down...Crash the party any way you can...The Bills are rising not falling. Hang your hat on that alright B34. 

Wouldn't say "ignited". Offense got a boost once he started playing but they have really fallen off since. With any competent offense we could be a dangerous team. Don't think Manuel is all that better of an alternative, still don't trust his accuracy and his ability to stay healthy. Although I think the best way forward is to have him start next year (we don't have a first round pick next year thanks to the Watkins trade), just to see if he can improve.

Wouldn't say "ignited". Offense got a boost once he started playing but they have really fallen off since. With any competent offense we could be a dangerous team. Don't think Manuel is all that better of an alternative, still don't trust his accuracy and his ability to stay healthy. Although I think the best way forward is to have him start next year (we don't have a first round pick next year thanks to the Watkins trade), just to see if he can improve.

Actually, I would use the term ignited B34 because aside from Jim Kelly & Doug Flutie Kyle Orton gets that huddle excited & he is capable of scoring TDs late in the 4th QTR. EJ Manuel just isn't your longterm future sorry, but he's not. 

Sammy Watkins was well worth what you paid for him. He's legit & will be a stud for your club for decades. DC Jim Schwartz has been spectacular for your franchise this season. Mario Williams has really come into his own now as a pass rusher & become what then Texans GM Charlie Casserly projected him to be in the 2006 draft. 

I've gotta take my lumps here. When I 1st heard that Philip Rivers had back problems & their running backs Ryan Matthews & Danny Woodhead were down for the count, I thought the playoff hopes for the power blue superchargers was nearly over, but Philip Rivers showed me once again how tough he truly is.

So, I guess what I'm saying is this: I apologize Girlzarefanstoo & NFLfan for ever second guessing the bravery & durability of Rivers. I will never make that mistake again.

It would be fascinating to see Rivers vs Brady in the AFC Championship Game & I could see that possibility unfolding this year. Rivers gets ignored & he's not feared & respected enough today sadly.  

Philip already dismantling Seattle with Eddie Royal & Antonio Gates makes the Championship Game really interesting since we know that Rivers can defeat the SB champs & Rivers always plays the Broncos tough. 

That 49ers game proved to me that Philip can throw picks & still win the game in OT on 2 4th down conversions & the ball has the same accuracy & velocity on it in the 4th QTR as well as the 5th QTR a gift/talent not every QB has. Selective amnesia, full strength as long as the game lasts, & the dude never panics in pressure cooker situations. 

If the Ravens somehow back in, great, but they don't deserve it. They lost to SD at home choking a fourth quarter lead , and didn't even show up in a critical game at the Texans. If they beat the Browns and go 10-6 , build on it, fix your secondary , and get healthy for next year. If SD somehow loses, which I doubt will happen, the Ravens won't go far in the playoffs with their secondary, and battered offensive line. When you put your faith in other teams helping you, you deserve what you get, generally nothing.

If the Ravens somehow back in, great, but they don't deserve it. They lost to SD at home choking a fourth quarter lead , and didn't even show up in a critical game at the Texans. If they beat the Browns and go 10-6 , build on it, fix your secondary , and get healthy for next year. If SD somehow loses, which I doubt will happen, the Ravens won't go far in the playoffs with their secondary, and battered offensive line. When you put your faith in other teams helping you, you deserve what you get, generally nothing.

Are the Ravens automatically in if the Chargers lose and they win? Or do they need more help?

I'm still holding out hope as the game is in KC, it's very tough to play in there, and all Alex Smith did was make 2 yard passes anyway.

As bad as Smith can be at times, he does protect the ball quite well.  If Chase can keep from fumbling or throwing picks, it is possible KC still pulls off the win.  If Daniels turns it over, KC isn't built to recover from that.  I feel it is on Daniel to at least be a very good game manager.  If he can make a big play  here and the, all the better for the Chiefs chances.

I've gotta take my lumps here. When I 1st heard that Philip Rivers had back problems & their running backs Ryan Matthews & Danny Woodhead were down for the count, I thought the playoff hopes for the power blue superchargers was nearly over, but Philip Rivers showed me once again how tough he truly is.

So, I guess what I'm saying is this: I apologize Girlzarefanstoo & NFLfan for ever second guessing the bravery & durability of Rivers. I will never make that mistake again.

It would be fascinating to see Rivers vs Brady in the AFC Championship Game & I could see that possibility unfolding this year. Rivers gets ignored & he's not feared & respected enough today sadly.  

Philip already dismantling Seattle with Eddie Royal & Antonio Gates makes the Championship Game really interesting since we know that Rivers can defeat the SB champs & Rivers always plays the Broncos tough. 

That 49ers game proved to me that Philip can throw picks & still win the game in OT on 2 4th down conversions & the ball has the same accuracy & velocity on it in the 4th QTR as well as the 5th QTR a gift/talent not every QB has. Selective amnesia, full strength as long as the game lasts, & the dude never panics in pressure cooker situations. 

I typed a long, wistful response to this and unfortunately accidentally deleted it *deep sigh!*

So, since I'm running off to early service of church this morning and I'm NOT a morning person, I'll just leave it at a few points:

1.  Rivers is a good man, a tough competitor, a great team mate and I love having him as our QB.  Tough barely begins to describe him.  He's been injured in the past (during his 2 year stretch of average play) but will NEVER say so.  It will come out when he's not playing and his team mates feel free to tell the stories.  

2.  Our first of the year team could have gone all the way if even remotely still healthy at the end of the year.  Now we are scrappy, battle-tested, but I fear a few players short of making a deep run if we get in. If we were to go deep or to the Super Bowl it would be an amazing story.

3.  Backing in - nope, hard fought and earned if we make it.  Last year we "earned the right" to back into the playoffs, LOL!  Winning out to be in a position to be the 4th team in line to make the last spot is not the way I would recommend making the playoffs but we did.  This year?  Playing 5 centers in one year?  3 right guards?  Losing 4 CBs including your first round draft pick who was performing way above expectations?  Losing your top 3 options at running back and having to depend on a Practice squad member who barely survived the last cut to make the squad?  Losing your top receiver and your top running back/receiver out of the backfield?  Your QB has been playing with either broken or badly injured ribs and a bulging disk in his back?  This team has character.

4.  This was a great season for growing up our young players.  They've been through the fire already.  There's a lot to look forward to in the  years ahead.  Our window may be opening again.  

OK, I'm decked out in my Charger's gear and headed to church, let's go boys!