Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Michigan goes all in on Harbaugh

snkdy

That's a big offer...

I don't see it, either, though. To go from scouting and drafting, back to recruiting, that's a tough transition. Especially in the Midwest. I'd think he'd get the $8m/year from the Raiders or the Dolphins or whoever, not go back to college. JMO

That's a big offer...

I don't see it, either, though. To go from scouting and drafting, back to recruiting, that's a tough transition. Especially in the Midwest. I'd think he'd get the $8m/year from the Raiders or the Dolphins or whoever, not go back to college. JMO

Exactly. 8 mill/year is hard to turn down, but Harbaugh has always dreamed of coaching in the NFL. I don't see him taking a step backwards. And everyone knows his family wants to stay in the Bay. I think the Niners will keep him or the Raiders will make an offer.

Wouldn't this make him the highest paid college head coach if he took the job?

I don't think taking a college job at a high level FBS program is really a step back from the NFL.

Honestly college programs often have the same size or bigger stadiums, Michigan is the largest of them all, NFL or college.

Their fan bases are probably similar in size.  The pay for college head coaches at high level FBS programs rivals NFL head coach pay.

Honestly I'm not seeing where the step back is for coaches here.  In fact for a college coach he has more control over his program then he does in the NFL.  

I hope he stays in the NFL if it's what he really wants. He's gotten the worst of breaks going all the way back to his days as a Bear.

The worst of breaks? How you figure? A pro bowl player. Comeback player of the year. An assistant coach at WKU with his father. A QB coach for the Raiders. Head coach at San Diego who went to two pioneer championships. Stanford for 4 years with two bowls. 49ers head coach with 3 playoffs in his 1st 3 years. That really don't compute to what could be termed worst of breaks IMO.

Wouldn't this make him the highest paid college head coach if he took the job?

I don't think taking a college job at a high level FBS program is really a step back from the NFL.

Honestly college programs often have the same size or bigger stadiums, Michigan is the largest of them all, NFL or college.

Their fan bases are probably similar in size.  The pay for college head coaches at high level FBS programs rivals NFL head coach pay.

Honestly I'm not seeing where the step back is for coaches here.  In fact for a college coach he has more control over his program then he does in the NFL.  

I think so. That's what Mike and Mike were saying this morning anyway.

I think so. That's what Mike and Mike were saying this morning anyway.

Honestly I think it's more about preference.  Now Harbaugh might still have the preference for the NFL and that might keep him out of Ann Arbor.  But in terms of prestige, it's pretty similar.

Honestly some NFL teams are so bad and have such small fan bases that coaching at Michigan would be a huge step up.  Think about the Jags or the Titans.  The college programs in those states are much much bigger then the fan bases for those teams.  Honestly Central Florida might have a bigger fan base then the Jags.  My wife lived in Jacksonville when I was dating her, everyone I ever met there thinks the Jags are a big joke and really don't care much about the team.  

Honestly I think it's more about preference.  Now Harbaugh might still have the preference for the NFL and that might keep him out of Ann Arbor.  But in terms of prestige, it's pretty similar.

Honestly some NFL teams are so bad and have such small fan bases that coaching at Michigan would be a huge step up.  Think about the Jags or the Titans.  The college programs in those states are much much bigger then the fan bases for those teams.  Honestly Central Florida might have a bigger fan base then the Jags.  My wife lived in Jacksonville when I was dating her, everyone I ever met there thinks the Jags are a big joke and really don't care much about the team.  

I agree. The only thing that keeps me thinking the NFL is the Raiders. They did give him his first NFL gig. I don't know it for certain but it seems a lot of people thinks Jim wants to keep his family on the west coast. That may enter the picture if money is not an issue.

The worst of breaks? How you figure? A pro bowl player. Comeback player of the year. An assistant coach at WKU with his father. A QB coach for the Raiders. Head coach at San Diego who went to two pioneer championships. Stanford for 4 years with two bowls. 49ers head coach with 3 playoffs in his 1st 3 years. That really don't compute to what could be termed worst of breaks IMO.

And no hardware to show for it. I personally believe in the guy but alot of people don't because of this. A dropped TD from 1 SB as a player, a couple of muffed punts from another as a coach, and people have already forgotten that the NFCCG was the real SB last year.

He was never on a good team as a player either.

And no hardware to show for it. I personally believe in the guy but alot of people don't because of this. A dropped TD from 1 SB as a player, a couple of muffed punts from another as a coach, and people have already forgotten that the NFCCG was the real SB last year.

He was never on a good team as a player either.

He was on the Colts. They were one play away from going to the super bowl against the Steelers.

That's bold but more than one 'insider' says his wife want to stray in California.I don't think he's ever coached outside of Californis, has he?

Meh, they always bring up the wife angle. If my wife wife made 6m she could tell me when and where to pack my bags.

For what little it's worth,  the Stanford community is split...

With roughly half saying he'll take the money and go to Michigan,  and the other half thinking he'll stay in California and move across the Bay to Oakland.

I'm in the Oakland camp....

And then the raiders pack up and move to San Antonio lol

Meh, they always bring up the wife angle. If my wife wife made 6m she could tell me when and where to pack my bags.

Yeah. I am a wife. And if my husband told me he got a job offer to be the highest paid coach in football to the tune of 8 mil a year, I am telling him we are divorcing if he does NOT take the job even if the job was on the moon.

Yeah. I am a wife. And if my husband told me he got a job offer to be the highest paid coach in football to the tune of 8 mil a year, I am telling him we are divorcing if he does NOT take the job even if the job was on the moon.

He can get similar money from the raiders