Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

49'ers will try to trade Jim Harbaugh at end of the season?

ReMeDy

This team has good players, all across the field. We have the #1 offense, #1 QB in the league, you don't do that with "players that aren't good enough". The defense plays lights out on some days and doesn't show up for others, in my opinion that inconsistency is due to coaching. Even in the first season, the Colts beat teams they had no business beating(granted they lost a few to lesser teams, but it was Luck's first season). I am sorry if I expect my team to hold their own at home against top teams like the Patriots or not get embarassed by the Steelers, who aren't even that good this year. I know a sound like a spoiled fan and we are spoiled to get so many playoff appearances. But I want to see progression, not just being happy to make the playoffs. With all the young and developing players, we should expect to get better every season, not just stay where we are and get comfortable. Not to forget, with rookie contracts coming up soon, probably won't be able to keep some of these players.

I agree with pretty much everything you have said.. but after the whole cancer thing with chuck its gonna take alot for irsay to fire him.. were stuck with pagano for at least a couple more years.

did harbaugh have problems at stanford too?

Yes.   He wore out his welcome there.    Now, we offered him a contract to stay.   And we would've been happy to have him return.    But we really wanted him for one more year -- Luck's last season.   At some point, everyone knew he'd move on to the NFL.   It was a matter of time.

But he exhausted everyone who had to deal with him.   

This week,  I read a story about his 3 years at University of San Diego.  And the AD there said the same thing.   That's just his way.

I'm not saying Pagano can't.. but if doesn't do it within the next two years.. I'll begin to start questioning him as a coach.

how can u say that without knowing the talent level of the next two years? or are you convinced the current roster is talented enough to win it all?

I agree SW. No one can argue that he is a great coach and has been for the niners since he got there. But his personality seems to grate on people after a few years. I sure hope he does not go to the Jets. There are rumors that they want him and will give up a lot to get him.

I think Jim Harbaugh is going to end up the Larry Brown of the NFL.  Great coach, but eventually his style just wears out his welcome and he moves onto another team.  

I've said this a few times but the 49ers need to get rid of whatever little worm that can't take winning level coaching then stinks up the lockerroom. Singletary went 8-8 (which was a huge turnaround at the time) and the lockerroom hated him. Harbaugh did a little better now the lockerroom hates him.

Kap doesn't get enough credit for how good he is at everything besides pocket passing, which I get since that's the most important thing in a quarterback today. That brings me to my 1 fault of Harbaugh's. He should have just stuck with the 2012 offense instead of tried to make some passer out of Kaep.

True.

But I don't care about regular season wins.. I want a coach who's going to get us a ring. Do you think Pagano is that coach?

After a total rebuild it does take time to build a super bowl contending team. In just three seasons this team has already surpassed all reasonable expectations. Even the legend head coaches started out with a learning curve. In an earlier comment another poster mentioned Pagano was no Belichick or Parcells. Well Belichick went 36-44 in his first 5 years as a head coach. Parcells did a little better with a 3-12-1 first season and followed that with a 9-7 and a 10-6 record the next 2 years. So let us count the wins in all three head coaches careers. Pagano has coached the Colts to more wins than Belichick and Parcells over their first three years. And that is with a totally new team with only 8 players left from the team he took over and two of those players were kickers. Only time will tell what Pagano will do but it really is too early to dismiss him as a head coach.

I've said this a few times but the 49ers need to get rid of whatever little worm that can't take winning level coaching then stinks up the lockerroom. Singletary went 8-8 (which was a huge turnaround at the time) and the lockerroom hated him. Harbaugh did a little better now the lockerroom hates him.

Kap doesn't get enough credit for how good he is at everything besides pocket passing, which I get since that's the most important thing in a quarterback today. That brings me to my 1 fault of Harbaugh's. He should have just stuck with the 2012 offense instead of tried to make some passer out of Kaep.

He did try in 2013 but the defenses figured out the read option and took it away.

And I don't think it is the players that have an issue with Jim but management.

Kaep singlehandedly won the 2013 Packer playoff game by running on the last drive. That game is just overshadowed by the 2012 playoff game because of all the garbage time read option yards. You can run the quarterback without running the read option. It seems like people have lost sight of that though.

Kaep singlehandedly won the 2013 Packer playoff game by running on the last drive. That game is just overshadowed by the 2012 playoff game because of all the garbage time read option yards. You can run the quarterback without running the read option. It seems like people have lost sight of that though.

The Packers defense was horrible that game. Kaep broke contain a lot in that game and ran wild against a bad defense. That is not the norm in the NFL and very tough to game plan to run a QB like that. And the read option was not sustainable either as they learned last year. In the end, a QB has to be able to drop back and throw. He is not a RB and if they try to play him like that they won't win much and he will get injured.

Yep, 21 it's the 1st thing that popped into my head. 

Do you remember HC Mike Singletary? Jim Harbaugh took the same roster & started going to NFC Championship Games. Management would be dumb to cut him loose IMHO. 

I love you man. Always the voice of wisdom & reason NCF.  :thmup:

A good many of the players don't seem to keen on him though.

You mean like when he beat Seattle, Denver and San Francisco last year?!?     Those top teams?    Is last year so long ago that you forgot all that?

Pagano is on his way to his 3rd straight double-digit win season.   He's not going anywhere.....

That was two years ago and Arians was in charge. 

Looks like Harbaugh won't be getting traded.

Media reports have the 49ers firing him early next week,  which I'm sure is exactly what he and his agent want.    That way,  Harbaugh can go anywhere he wants and no team has to compensate the 49ers.

First guess:   Oakland.

After that,  NFL options may be limited....   but Michigan still remains a viable option....

Looks like Harbaugh won't be getting traded.

Media reports have the 49ers firing him early next week, which I'm sure is exactly what he and his agent want. That way, Harbaugh can go anywhere he wants and no team has to compensate the 49ers.

First guess: Oakland.

After that, NFL options may be limited.... but Michigan still remains a viable option....

his nfl options are not limited. He would be a candidate for every open job

his nfl options are not limited. He would be a candidate for every open job

You'd certainly think that.

Except that a lot of team owners don't want to deal with his kind of crazy.

Some will.    But not all.

Remember, he's been hard to deal with everywhere he's been.    This is not a new thing with SF.

They're all pu§ies. Vince Lombardi would have been fired in today's NFL. Tom Landry would have been assassinated. I can't even imagine what would have happened to John McKay.

It does seem silly that he and the niners could not work it out. But I wonder if Jim has a little but of Bill Parcells in him where he likes a new challenge every 3-4 years. Parcells used to rub people the wrong way too especially on the way out.

I actually like the way he's been molding this roster. Grigson doesn't call the plays.

That's circular.  The players make (or in Sunday's case, don't) the plays.  So I mean, yeah Grigson doesn't call the plays, but Pagano doesn't get the players.  I'm not saying either guy is perfect, but neither of them are the sole cause in the Colts being where they are right now.  Our blowout losses had a lot more to do with the players than anything else.  Just take the Patriots for example.  We couldn't make a tackle to save our souls.  Sunday we couldn't do anything offensively or defensively.  Our LB play was just atrocious.  Dropped passes.  Next thing you know, we're one dimensional having to pass pretty much every play and it's only the second quarter.  We had 3 rush attempts our first drive and 7 for the next 9 drives.

Coaches salaries don't count against the cap, so why aren't the best candidates outrageously compensated like everything else in sports?

I mean if good coaches are at a premium, and they are, then why doesn't Harbaugh or Bill Belichick deserve 10 million?

That's circular.  The players make (or in Sunday's case, don't) the plays.  So I mean, yeah Grigson doesn't call the plays, but Pagano doesn't get the players.  I'm not saying either guy is perfect, but neither of them are the sole cause in the Colts being where they are right now.  Our blowout losses had a lot more to do with the players than anything else.  Just take the Patriots for example.  We couldn't make a tackle to save our souls.  Sunday we couldn't do anything offensively or defensively.  Our LB play was just atrocious.  Dropped passes.  Next thing you know, we're one dimensional having to pass pretty much every play and it's only the second quarter.  We had 3 rush attempts our first drive and 7 for the next 9 drives.

Pagano helps get the players for the defense.. Him and Manuskey both have a pitch on that.

Pagano helps get the players for the defense.. Him and Manuskey both have a pitch on that.

I get that, but Grigs is still the one who pulls the trigger.  If anything, to teh extent the players reflect Pagano negatively (and realistically, how do we actually know who Pagano gives a pitch for?), the blame is almost entirely on Grigson or someone within his scouting circle, which also looks bad on Grigs. 

I get that, but Grigs is still the one who pulls the trigger.  If anything, to teh extent the players reflect Pagano negatively (and realistically, how do we actually know who Pagano gives a pitch for?), the blame is almost entirely on Grigson or someone within his scouting circle, which also looks bad on Grigs.

It goes both ways. When you're winning everyone gets credit. But I would believe that if someone would get fired, it would be Pagano before Grigson. That's just me though.

Coaches salaries don't count against the cap, so why aren't the best candidates outrageously compensated like everything else in sports?

I mean if good coaches are at a premium, and they are, then why doesn't Harbaugh or Bill Belichick deserve 10 million?

They are making 8 to 7.5 million.  

I think part if it has to do with the fact that you'll do better with a good roster and a mediocre coach then you would do with a good coach and a mediocre roster.