Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

3Rd Down Defense Is Awful

WSO

what about that one, that was the easiest you will get in this league. doesnt look like murphys done anything, that was almost as quick as the 'big play' they are trying to prevent. at least they should be jamming and man covering and if they get beaten, then they get beaten, but giving them easy 7 yard catches, time and time again is just handing them the game... and wheres the blitzing!

is zone just for trying to get interceptions? seems like our guys are never close to being in the right place. why dont they just play man, dont need to press since they are small, just 5 yards and be there when the ball comes in to make a play. surely it cant be that hard to teach and practice. obviously these guys arent getting zone correct

what about that one, that was the easiest you will get in this league. doesnt look like murphys done anything, that was almost as quick as the 'big play' they are trying to prevent. at least they should be jamming and man covering and if they get beaten, then they get beaten, but giving them easy 7 yard catches, time and time again is just handing them the game... and wheres the blitzing!

I don't get that. Clearly the secondary is struggling and banged up and has been all year. And yet, people keep calling for us to blitz. What do you think Brady would have done to us if we had?

is zone just for trying to get interceptions? seems like our guys are never close to being in the right place. why dont they just play man, dont need to press since they are small, just 5 yards and be there when the ball comes in to make a play. surely it cant be that hard to teach and practice. obviously these guys arent getting zone correct

some of those mistakes were prime examples of players not doing what they were suppose to do and not the coaches fault... caldwell is a horrible coverage saftey, twice this guy was out of position, he doesnt seem like the guy to study film if he did he would know not to leave one of brady's biggest target wide open.

I don't get that. Clearly the secondary is struggling and banged up and has been all year. And yet, people keep calling for us to blitz. What do you think Brady would have done to us if we had?

well he shouldnt have seen it coming... and if we are going to blitz then there should be cover, guess these guys need time to learn that stuff though huh

coaches have us play off 20 yds in a prevent zone and hope they will drop the ball, not good fire the coaches

I understand the frustration with that. But you see a lot of teams doing this. Is there possibly a reason for it? As much as I hate it, I've seen it done by a lot of teams for a long time. It seems like no matter who I'm watching with (Colts fans or relatives of various other teams) I hear this complaint. If there's no legit reason for it then we have a lot of stupid coaches in the NFL.

Just a thought.

coaches have us play off 20 yds in a prevent zone and hope they will drop the ball, not good fire the coaches

We fired Coyer but that didn't solve the problem. Not that I expected it to this season at least. We will continue to do what we do even though its proven to fail. Hopefully the offseason will see some meaningful changes.

Zone defense it to attempt to cover up our deficiencies. If this team played man to man against New England they would have given up 70 points. Our zone is to keep the ball in front of us and not give up big plays and hope their offense screws up enough to get our defense off the field. Look what happened to Jason David, decent player for us, he goes to New Orleans and they want him to play a little man to man he he is out of a job because he got toasted.

I understand the frustration with that. But you see a lot of teams doing this. Is there possibly a reason for it? As much as I hate it, I've seen it done by a lot of teams for a long time. It seems like no matter who I'm watching with (Colts fans or relatives of various other teams) I hear this complaint. If there's no legit reason for it then we have a lot of stupid coaches in the NFL.

Just a thought.

when you are 0 and 11 take a chance, what have you got to lose

Zone defense it to attempt to cover up our deficiencies. If this team played man to man against New England they would have given up 70 points. Our zone is to keep the ball in front of us and not give up big plays and hope their offense screws up enough to get our defense off the field. Look what happened to Jason David, decent player for us, he goes to New Orleans and they want him to play a little man to man he he is out of a job because he got toasted.

yeh, why do they play zone to begin with, why isnt it man coverage all the time, with any team. the fact that a player cant cover another player seems like that player is under performing. besides theres more free players than receivers.

puzzles me when you see a receiver wide open behind everyone, makes you wonder what they are thinking, see them running with the player then drop off while watching the qb, thats just getting sucked in.

when you are 0 and 11 take a chance, what have you got to lose

The 12th game.

Seriously though, folks. We just fired our defensive coordinator. What did you think would happen? We would turn it around in less than a week? It will take until AT LEAST next season before see any differences in scheme or play selection.

This soft, cover-2 defense may be adequate when you have Peyton Manning to lean on but, with this offense (which needs as many possessions as possible), the Colts' passive defense will only result in 0-16.

Playing a prevent defense for 60 minutes can only work if you have Peyton Manning at QB

What else is new??

Same ol' Colts :tvsmash:

I know, I read somewhere a while back apparently the Colts had the worst 3rd down defense this past decade but it just bothered me because they played really well on 1st and 2nd down, some tackles for a loss, good job stopping Green-Ellis but when it came to 3rd down the defense just disappeared! Something about 3rd down just kills us.

yeh, why do they play zone to begin with, why isnt it man coverage all the time, with any team. the fact that a player cant cover another player seems like that player is under performing. besides theres more free players than receivers.

puzzles me when you see a receiver wide open behind everyone, makes you wonder what they are thinking, see them running with the player then drop off while watching the qb, thats just getting sucked in.

Offenses create plays designed to run against zones and confuse defensive backs. It happens.

We fired Coyer but that didn't solve the problem. Not that I expected it to this season at least. We will continue to do what we do even though its proven to fail. Hopefully the offseason will see some meaningful changes.

This is what gets me. I can understand "doing what we do" when things are going well. I can understand playing conservative defense designed to contain big plays when you have a high-powered offense and all you need to do is make sure the defense doesn't lose it for you. That isn't the case anymore, though. It's like they're taking the strategy that they would use if Peyton was leading the team and just disregarding the fact that he isn't there. This season is a lost cause at this point, so there is no sense in "doing what we do" at this point. Lets experiment. Jam some receivers and play some press man-to-man. If you get burned, so what? It's not like it's going to cost you a playoff run. Heck, play some 3-4. I know we don't have the personnel for it, but so what? Experiment. Now is the time to test the guys that you have to give you a better idea of how to improve in the future. It's kind of like an extended preseason....but against first-team competition that is actually trying to win games. Instead, we still have Jacob Lacey lining up seven yards off the line of scrimmage and maintaining at least a five-yard cushion. Just doing what we do does not take advantage of this opportunity to evaluate personnel in real game conditions.

Oh, and the 3rd down defense is no worse than the 1st and 2nd down defense.

This is what gets me. I can understand "doing what we do" when things are going well. I can understand playing conservative defense designed to contain big plays when you have a high-powered offense and all you need to do is make sure the defense doesn't lose it for you. That isn't the case anymore, though. It's like they're taking the strategy that they would use if Peyton was leading the team and just disregarding the fact that he isn't there. This season is a lost cause at this point, so there is no sense in "doing what we do" at this point. Lets experiment. Jam some receivers and play some press man-to-man. If you get burned, so what? It's not like it's going to cost you a playoff run. Heck, play some 3-4. I know we don't have the personnel for it, but so what? Experiment. Now is the time to test the guys that you have to give you a better idea of how to improve in the future. It's kind of like an extended preseason....but against first-team competition that is actually trying to win games. Instead, we still have Jacob Lacey lining up seven yards off the line of scrimmage and maintaining at least a five-yard cushion. Just doing what we do does not take advantage of this opportunity to evaluate personnel in real game conditions.

Oh, and the 3rd down defense is no worse than the 1st and 2nd down defense.

Some of us actually want the Colts to win and could care less if they get the first pick or not. I want to see how players like Addison play out, AJ Edds, etc. "experimenting" will not lead to wins. I for one do not want the Colts to finish 0-16. Also this scheme has lost the Colts a lot of games before which is why us fans don't want to see it. The bend but don't break defense especially doesn't work when you leave Gronkowski wide open in the red zone. It's just poor play.

Some of us actually want the Colts to win and could care less if they get the first pick or not. I want to see how players like Addison play out, AJ Edds, etc. "experimenting" will not lead to wins. I for one do not want the Colts to finish 0-16. Also this scheme has lost the Colts a lot of games before which is why us fans don't want to see it. The bend but don't break defense especially doesn't work when you leave Gronkowski wide open in the red zone. It's just poor play.

"experiment" is was 0-12 teams do. You have no chance of doing anything with this season so you see what you have by giving different players a chance to play

"experimenting" will not lead to wins.

Taking a strategy designed around Peyton Manning and continuing to implement it even though he is not playing will not lead to wins either. The opposing offense no longer feels the pressure to score on every drive, so they don't take the risks that lead to turnovers that the defense is waiting to capitalize on. Keeping everything in front of you to prevent the big play and waiting for a mistake to capitalize on won't work if the offense doesn't feel like they need to take some chances. They need to play more aggressive defense....even if they end up getting burned. At least see if their guys can do it because "doing what we do" at this point looks like a pretty good path to 0-16.

you would have thought just maybe they might consider covering Gronkowski on the goalline.These players they have back there don't cut it and need to be gone

all of our defenders are too short to cover a tall receiver, and they cant figure out how close to play to keep him from catching the ball

"experiment" is was 0-12 teams do. You have no chance of doing anything with this season so you see what you have by giving different players a chance to play

so we should experiment and give up any real chance of winning anything. Then have fans turn around and use it against them because they didn't win any games even though they would be doing what you said they should do?