Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Dont forget the 2007 Colts...

bap1331

Where the defense couldnt stop the run at ALL! And I mean like mostly every game. EVEN the Jaguars, now that is more embarrassing.

Come playoff time, they stopped the best running game in the league, beat one of the top 3 defenses in the league, and then overcame the Patriots in the playoffs. Anything is capable of happening. Game by game learning the failures will take it to the next level.

The defense did show signs of life tonight but if you think about it, there were no adjustments at halftime on how to solve what was being done. it was only 10-13. Playing 60 minutes of football is the only solution against the Patriots. So suck it all up, and take the anger out against the Grumpy Cats next week!

Patriots have a hard schedule anyway having to face the Lions, Packers, Chargers, Dolphins...

somebody has to have a better solution.

That defense in 2007 was a lot more talented than the one we have now. They were able to step up when it mattered in key moments and gave Peyton his championship. I'm not saying that history doesn't repeat itself, but I'm not going to hype myself up when we're talking about two different teams. It's always next man up but you don't replace a guy like Mathis. He's such a problem for offensive lines and can disrupt the game like Watt or Taylor.

That defense in 2007 was a lot more talented than the one we have now. They were able to step up when it mattered in key moments and gave Peyton his championship. I'm not saying that history doesn't repeat itself, but I'm not going to hype myself up when we're talking about two different teams. It's always next man up but you don't replace a guy like Mathis. He's such a problem for offensive lines and can disrupt the game like Watt or Taylor.

Yup. This defense has no backbone. 

The 2006/2007 defense was a lot more talented.

Nothing cures your anger and sorrows like a healthy dose of the Jags ;)

I hope we just come out and blow them out.  

jag 2 years from being a good team . have  their qb , have decent defense . lacking is wr,s and te,s  say in 2 years watch out. 

Unfortunately, when you have a defense consisting of nearly all free agents let go by other teams at one point or another, and are picking towards the end of the draft (with the one exception being 2012), it's difficult to find a "Backbone" piece in my opinion, particularly in the 2 or 3 years that Grigson has had to work. 

Unfortunately, when you have a defense consisting of nearly all free agents let go by other teams at one point or another, and are picking towards the end of the draft (with the one exception being 2012), it's difficult to find a "Backbone" piece in my opinion, particularly in the 2 or 3 years that Grigson has had to work. 

can,t build a team in 5 years then time change staff.

This game is indicative of one thing that remains constant in Colts/Patriots matchups. Its belief. The Patriots just believe that they will work harder, hit harder, outplay the Colts every time they play. Even in the Colts victories, they usually come very hard fought, and very SELDOM do the Colts just kick the Patriots butt like the Patriots always seem to do to the Colts. Its mental now. No matter who lines up against the Colts, they turn into world beaters and look like Walter Peyton against this team because of a belief system that Bill B. instills in his team. There is NO way that this team should systematically destroy ANY Colts team, no matter who's playing every year unless its mental. The Colts hope they'll beat the Patriots, while the Patriots BELIEVE they will always beat the Colts. And that's on the coaching staff. Every time I see this going on, I realize that Bruce Arians is the ONLY coach that the Colts have had in recent years that can change their BELIEF system. Chuck P is a nice guy and all, but he has NO clue about motivation outside of the usual cliches. Hes trying his best and I wish him well, but he has failed miserably to motivate this team properly to perform at the level of greatness required to change the mindset of this team, The same teams that have owned us in the past STILL own us. Steelers, Patriots, etc. And these are the teams we have to go through. Trust me, the Steelers will be there at the end. And we aren't even competitive with these teams on the road and against the Patriots, at home either. So, although I see whats happening, if the team can understand that they don't have to fire any body or do anything drastic, they have to understand the power of the mind to do great things. Because that's the only solution to this beat-down the Patriots consistently give the Colts. The mental determines the physical. Just like Morpheus said to Neo in the Matrix....you cant think you are the best, you have to KNOW you are...believe. The Colts have got to let go of fear, doubt and disbelief.;-)

This game is indicative of one thing that remains constant in Colts/Patriots matchups. Its belief. The Patriots just believe that they will work harder, hit harder, outplay the Colts every time they play. Even in the Colts victories, they usually come very hard fought, and very SELDOM do the Colts just kick the Patriots butt like the Patriots always seem to do to the Colts. Its mental now. No matter who lines up against the Colts, they turn into world beaters and look like Walter Peyton against this team because of a belief system that Bill B. instills in his team. There is NO way that this team should systematically destroy ANY Colts team, no matter who's playing every year unless its mental. The Colts hope they'll beat the Patriots, while the Patriots BELIEVE they will always beat the Colts. And that's on the coaching staff. Every time I see this going on, I realize that Bruce Arians is the ONLY coach that the Colts have had in recent years that can change their BELIEF system. Chuck P is a nice guy and all, but he has NO clue about motivation outside of the usual cliches. Hes trying his best and I wish him well, but he has failed miserably to motivate this team properly to perform at the level of greatness required to change the mindset of this team, The same teams that have owned us in the past STILL own us. Steelers, Patriots, etc. And these are the teams we have to go through. Trust me, the Steelers will be there at the end. And we aren't even competitive with these teams on the road and against the Patriots, at home either. So, although I see whats happening, if the team can understand that they don't have to fire any body or do anything drastic, they have to understand the power of the mind to do great things. Because that's the only solution to this beat-down the Patriots consistently give the Colts. The mental determines the physical. Just like Morpheus said to Neo in the Matrix....you cant think you are the best, you have to KNOW you are...believe. The Colts have got to let go of fear, doubt and disbelief.;-)

This was such a great post. I think Luck, Wayne, Mathis, and one or two others are the only ones that believe they can beat team like the Patriots, be the best, and win rings. When the majority of your team is only pretending to care and believe, it's a problem. They may not say much or show it in interviews, but the majority of this team doesn't like our current system. The way the play on the field tells the story

Where the defense couldnt stop the run at ALL! And I mean like mostly every game. EVEN the Jaguars, now that is more embarrassing.

Come playoff time, they stopped the best running game in the league, beat one of the top 3 defenses in the league, and then overcame the Patriots in the playoffs. Anything is capable of happening. Game by game learning the failures will take it to the next level.

The defense did show signs of life tonight but if you think about it, there were no adjustments at halftime on how to solve what was being done. it was only 10-13. Playing 60 minutes of football is the only solution against the Patriots. So suck it all up, and take the anger out against the Grumpy Cats next week!

Patriots have a hard schedule anyway having to face the Lions, Packers, Chargers, Dolphins...

somebody has to have a better solution.

You mean the 2006 Colts. The 2007 version couldn't stop Billy Volek.

Very good point.  That year we did not play run defense well at during the regular season.  Defense did a amazing turn around in the playoffs, especially againts the Chiefs and and Ravens.  It did help the we safety Bob Sanders for the playoffs and DT Booger McFarland at the trade deadline.  Maybe we can can have one of those playoff improvements this year but it would be nice the show it consistently during the regular season.

Yeah.........I think it has alot more to do with talent and coaching than it does "belief".