Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Ryan Mallet's Career So Far

King Colt

2012 - vs. Rams- three handoffs and three passes with one completion

vs. Colts; handed off three times

vs. Jets; one handoff then took a knee twice

vs. Texans; four consecutive handoffs,  threw one pass intercepted followed by taking a knee three consecutive times

2014 - Raiders; three consecutive handoffs followed by taking a knee.

Not exactly Hall of Fame stats

2012 - vs. Rams- three handoffs and three passes with one completion

vs. Texans; four consecutive handoffs, threw one pass intercepted followed by taking a knee three consecutive times

What were Aaron Rodgers stats before he actually got to play

Bad coaching, check

Bad offensive game plan, double check

Overrated backup QB, triple check.

Until Houston actually beats a team above .500, get over the hype, or the usual suspects can quote me to remind me how much of a meanie head I am.

It could be worse...we could be the Saints.

Duh,  I think my point is he does not have a career and a  question would be why did Belechik not let him throw a football?

Brady doesn't come off the field often, even in blowouts. 

What's the better alternative for Houston at this point? The Fitzpatrick Era looks like it's (mercifully) over, and so they have a young veteran backup with virtually no real game experience in Mallet, and a first-year rookie QB who was drafted as a developmental project. Don't forget, a lot of scouts saw Mallet as a first-round talent, but he slipped because of his off-field stuff. He's got size, he's got a cannon for an arm... time to find out what they have from the low-risk (6th or 7th round pick) deal they made with New England.

If Houston doesn't turn it around soon their season is over. That's not going to happen with Fitzpatrick. At this point they have nothing to lose by turning to Mallet. 

I live in Houston and what is happening is exactly what the Texans expected and planned for. Not one single person believed Fitzpatrick would be a season long success. He is a veteran  and he is smart so they thought he could hold the team together enough to maintain some respectability until they can draft or trade for a primetime starter. The backups the Texans had previously were also OK but could not get the starting role either. Who knows Manziel is warming the bench in Cleveland and that cannot be a permanent situation. Mallet is way too fresh off the tree to get excited about and who cares how tall he is? How tall was Eddie LeBaron Fran Tarkington or Drew Breez? 

All we can do is wait and see but keep in mind they are in the Colts division and going with a grade b+ quarterback is simply not good     enough to beat Indy twice every year.

I live in Houston and what is happening is exactly what the Texans expected and planned for. Not one single person believed Fitzpatrick would be a season long success. He is a veteran  and he is smart so they thought he could hold the team together enough to maintain some respectability until they can draft or trade for a primetime starter. The backups the Texans had previously were also OK but could not get the starting role either. Who knows Manziel is warming the bench in Cleveland and that cannot be a permanent situation. Mallet is way too fresh off the tree to get excited about and who cares how tall he is? How tall was Eddie LeBaron Fran Tarkington or Drew Breez? 

All we can do is wait and see but keep in mind they are in the Colts division and going with a grade b+ quarterback is simply not good     enough to beat Indy twice every year.

I'd say with the running game and defense that they've got a B+ QB should be more than enough to make them competitive with Indy if they had a QB who could play a sensible mistake free conservative game. Fitz couldn't offer them this so hey at this point it's worth a punt on Mallet.

I'd say with the running game and defense that they've got a B+ QB should be more than enough to make them competitive with Indy if they had a QB who could play a sensible mistake free conservative game. Fitz couldn't offer them this so hey at this point it's worth a punt on Mallet.

Mallett is a FA after the season correct? I agree you owe it to yourself to see if he is the answer here. They probably aren't making the playoffs with like half the afc seeming to be over 500 and a couple games behind the Colts so give him a go. They have a good defense....great running game so he has every reason to have SOME success. He doesn't have to go out and light the world on fire but he should show you some signs....if he doesn't its on to the next qb. I have nothing to go off of to have any clue what he may or may not do. His career at Arkansas was both promising and dissappointing...I don't have high hopes but clearly there is nothing wrong with giving the kid a shot. 7-8 games to see if he can get any traction. If he can play as well as Hoyer has in Cleveland than Houston is a playoff contender...they have a defense if not exposed by their offense that can play...and a great rb for a couple more years.

2012 - vs. Rams- three handoffs and three passes with one completion

vs. Texans; four consecutive handoffs,  threw one pass intercepted followed by taking a knee three consecutive times

But he's 1-0!

Hey so how did he look yesterday? Can only tell so much from highlights and the stat line. Seems like he played in control and did a nice job. 

I watched most of that game and what I thought is he passes the "arm talent " test with flying colors. Other than maybe a little issue with touch type passes , the guy can throw the football.

I watched most of that game and what I thought is he passes the "arm talent " test with flying colors. Other than maybe a little issue with touch type passes , the guy can throw the football.

Accuracy can be an issue with him based on the little he played, mostly in preseason. Good decision-making though? 

Hey so how did he look yesterday? Can only tell so much from highlights and the stat line. Seems like he played in control and did a nice job.

Yeah, that's about right. Other than a few "rookie" mistakes like being too aggressive and forcing it, he was superb. I liked that he distributed the ball and didn't lock onto one person. Our runningbacks stepped up too in Arian's absence which helped. Now I'm ready for us to go beat Cincinnati like we always do lol.

Accuracy can be an issue with him based on the little he played, mostly in preseason. Good decision-making though? 

I think we need to see more before making that evaluation. Houston made it pretty easy for him as they ran the ball down Cleveland's throat all game long.   

I watched the entire game and he looked 100% in confidence, leadership, poise and ability. Coach Obrien told him to go for it as opposed to "hand the ball off every chance you get". If, and I say "if' that game was a reflection of what he is capable of then the may have solved a long running problem for that team. Add to him the response of the team to him. If they plat all out with nothing to lose they should be interesting to watch from here on in. He waited four years for his chance and he just might be around for a while. 

Yeah, that's about right. Other than a few "rookie" mistakes like being too aggressive and forcing it, he was superb. I liked that he distributed the ball and didn't lock onto one person. Our runningbacks stepped up too in Arian's absence which helped. Now I'm ready for us to go beat Cincinnati like we always do lol.

I heard the tail end of Mallett's press conference... "We're on to Cincinnati".... lol! Old coach B still in his head. Maybe not a bad thing? LOL... 

I think we need to see more before making that evaluation. Houston made it pretty easy for him as they ran the ball down Cleveland's throat all game long.   

By design, I would guess. Maybe let him build some confidence before you ask him to sling it around. 

I heard the tail end of Mallett's press conference... "We're on to Cincinnati".... lol! Old coach B still in his head. Maybe not a bad thing? LOL... 

By design, I would guess. Maybe let him build some confidence before you ask him to sling it around. 

For sure. 

I liked how calm he looked in the pocket, the way he stood tall and stepped up. Never looked freaked out back there. I was really impressed with his demeanor. I honestly only saw subtle "rookie" mistakes and a lot of big positives. I look forward to Sunday, but the Bengals when they aren't playing in primetime are a tough team. :P

I liked how calm he looked in the pocket, the way he stood tall and stepped up. Never looked freaked out back there. I was really impressed with his demeanor. I honestly only saw subtle "rookie" mistakes and a lot of big positives. I look forward to Sunday, but the Bengals when they aren't playing in primetime are a tough team. 

I understand that he has very little game experience but he's far from a rookie. Four years in training camp , pre season games with a great coaching staff to boot should put him was ahead of a "rookie curve," 

I liked how calm he looked in the pocket, the way he stood tall and stepped up. Never looked freaked out back there. I was really impressed with his demeanor. I honestly only saw subtle "rookie" mistakes and a lot of big positives. I look forward to Sunday, but the Bengals when they aren't playing in primetime are a tough team. :P

Agreed, he evaded a few defenders and delivered the pass instead of getting shook or taking the sack. We have something to be excited about I think. You're right about the Bengals, but maybe we can get them to lay another goose egg in the 12 slot lol.

I understand that he has very little game experience but he's far from a rookie. Four years in training camp , pre season games with a great coaching staff to boot should put him was ahead of a "rookie curve," 

I know, but both Fitzpatrick and Schaub - both vets - still looked absolutely terrified in the pocket at times. I think it's something you have or you don't. Keenum had the scared factor, although Yates had less of it.