Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

takes from the game

ColtsFanMikeC

Everything looked good.. besides the inability to get in the endzone.. and our offensive line is a major major major problem.. andrew gets hit every play.. its becoming a real concern.. he is the most hit/sacked qb in thee league. Hes been hit 110+ time in 9 games.. gonna be hard to make any kinda playoff run.. specially when we go against a good pass rush

i don't see how anyone can watch that game and like how fleener played

It's pretty easy.... He got open and continually made plays!

If the mistakes he made prompted you to label him a bad player then maybe you should label Luck a bad player. I saw sailed balls and I saw Luck fail to see a wide open Bradshaw for a TD.

Fleener is a good TE.

I think it's harder to figure out than that....

Unless you absolutely have to,  you do not want to flip-flop a lineman at the start of the game without any practice during the week.    

Your feet are completely backward -- literally.

You only make the flip-flop in case of emergency.

Reitz, or someone else would have to to RG and Mewhort would stay at LG where he's spent all his rookie year.

Reitz is money at LG, and a parking cone would be an upgrade over Louis at RG. 

Mewhort would be better option than Louis at anywhere other than handing out Gatorade. 

You're wrong.

I thought Fleener was hot and cold.  He made some really good, key plays, but other times I was like, come ON butter fingers or come on man, throw in a little intensity in coming back to or going for the ball!

I want to like Fleener, but I thought that yesterday Luck / the scheme was really trying too hard to make things happen to Fleener.  I kept asking myself, why is it Fleener they are scheming for so much instead of Dwayne Allen, who, like others have said, I think is a real stud!  Or why not get Moncrief more involved, instead of Fleener.

I don't know, but I am not yet sold on Fleener.  I disagree with those that say he had a great game, but I also disagree with those that say he was horrible.  I think he was a bit of both, the down side of that being quite a concern.  I'd rather see more of Dwayne Allen.

I thought Fleener was hot and cold.  He made some really good, key plays, but other times I was like, come ON butter fingers or come on man, throw in a little intensity in coming back to or going for the ball!

I want to like Fleener, but I thought that yesterday Luck / the scheme was really trying too hard to make things happen to Fleener.  I kept asking myself, why is it Fleener they are scheming for so much instead of Dwayne Allen, who, like others have said, I think is a real stud!  Or why not get Moncrief more involved, instead of Fleener.

I don't know, but I am not yet sold on Fleener.  I disagree with those that say he had a great game, but I also disagree with those that say he was horrible.  I think he was a bit of both, the down side of that being quite a concern.  I'd rather see more of Dwayne Allen.

I don't think they were trying to force anything to Fleener, he was simply getting open.  I didn't once during the game think he had butterfingers, and there were a couple of more plays that could have been made, but to be fair, Luck's accuracy was off on a couple of the throws...though that was in large part due to pressure getting there before he could get his feet set properly.

I don't think they were trying to force anything to Fleener, he was simply getting open.  I didn't once during the game think he had butterfingers, and there were a couple of more plays that could have been made, but to be fair, Luck's accuracy was off on a couple of the throws...though that was in large part due to pressure getting there before he could get his feet set properly.

Luck's accuracy was off on more than just a couple of throws.  I think he had about 6 horrible throws.  Luck's the man, though ... plods through the bad throws and then makes amazing plays and throws.  Man, can you imagine Luck if he had Manning's accuracy?  Only in his 3rd year, though, so hopefully his accuracy will continue to improve.  (And yes, the OL has quite a way to go, still, in providing adequate protection.)  

As for my butterfingers comment, that is a cumulative thing.  I still find myself cringing when it's thrown to him, wondering if he's going to catch it or not.  I know all receivers have bouts of the dropsies, but for me, I am not sold on his reliability as a catcher.  I used to feel the same way about Dallas Clark in HIS first few years, though, but then in his prime I was sold on Clark as a stud.  Fleener hasn't yet sold me, though.  His game ending numbers look good, but my eyes saw a hot and cold performance.  He made some key plays, though .. that is undeniable.

i don't see how anyone can watch that game and like how fleener played

You wouldn't be Dudeski if you weren't writing stuff like this all the time!

Hey,  you have a gift!

I don't suppose you noticed that everyone here is not only disagreeing with you,  they're laughing at you as well....

(Not that you'd care.   Again,  it's a Dudeski thing...)

You mean trade. . . we traded a 2013 2nd round pick for him before the 2012 season.  But yes I agree it's the best trade Grigson has pulled off thus far.  

And the awesome thing is that even though we gave him a pretty sizeable contract in the offseason, he seems to be outplaying it at this point. 

Sorry. I'm not sure why I was thinking he was a free agent. 

You wouldn't be Dudeski if you weren't writing stuff like this all the time!

Hey,  you have a gift!

I don't suppose you noticed that everyone here is not only disagreeing with you,  they're laughing at you as well....

(Not that you'd care.   Again,  it's a Dudeski thing...)

He does it on purpose to get a rise out of some of us. That's the dudeski way.

You should really watch the game before you post.... really...

he works under the idea of if he says what he wants to be true long enough it will become true. Thst or he simply can't admit when he was wrong about disliking a player. Just ignore it and move on, not worth your time.

Allen is better IMO but Fleener has his moments.

It's amazing even when the Colts aren't at the top of their game they still dominate.  There really isn't a reason that offense doesn't put up 30-40 points every game!  The defense is capable of holding teams to 14 or under also.  Just looking at the Colts I truly think they are the most talented football team in the NFL.  Now, whether they play consistently every game or not is another thing.  We have a lot of young guys stepping up, and the veterans are great like normal.  This team is ready to win SB's NOW!!

Everything looked good.. besides the inability to get in the endzone.. and our offensive line is a major major major problem.. andrew gets hit every play.. its becoming a real concern.. he is the most hit/sacked qb in thee league. Hes been hit 110+ time in 9 games.. gonna be hard to make any kinda playoff run.. specially when we go against a good pass rush

Well, when you run more pass plays than any other team in the league... statistics/probability come into play. 

I have a feeling if you were to look at this as a percentage of drop backs instead of just the raw number of times he gets hit/sacked, he may not be the most hit in the league. That's just a hunch though.

..., not getting his feet in bounds, ....

That one play had me complaining, to be sure.  Man, you gotta be aware of where you are in relation to the sidelines and DRAG that foot, not be oblivious taking another big step forward.  Good to great players make those excellent plays, dragging that second foot.  

Had Fleener done that on that play, it would have been an outstanding play and I would be on my feet cheering!  Those are the plays that define good players from meh players.

Hopefully Fleener will LEARN and make such plays in the future.  Currently, though, I share some of your trepidation about him.  I don't think he's awful, though.  I think proper evaluation of his performance yesterday is like I said, hot and cold.  Had he dragged his foot that one play and off the top of my head, had he made a good aggressive adjustment on a different play that was a bit off the mark, but by my eyes catchable, (And had he actually caught the pass on the play that the Giants were too slow to challenge) THEN I would say he had a top notch game.

As it is, though, hot and cold ... and I still think there was too much intention to feeding Fleener.  I am appreciate of the plays he DID make, though.

Not catching passes,

which passes in this game should he have caught that he didn't?  

not getting his feet in bounds

well he was pushed but I suppose that doesn't matter.  a few years ago that would have been a completed pass because he was pushed out of bounds.  I wasn't really crazy about them changing that rule.

, poor blocking,

well the Colts kind of knew he wasn't the best blocker in the world when they drafted him.  however, his blocking has definitely improved.  constant improvement is not a bad thing.

not getting seperation.

aww, now you're just repeating buzz words.  how cute.  :kitty:   If he wasn't getting separation, then why was Luck throwing to him?

He made a couple good plays and that's it.

more than a couple

Are the expectations that low that you guys think if he doesn't completely screw up he was great?

are your expectations so high that you think if he doesn't have 10 catches for 200 yards and 5 TD's every game that the guy is horrible?  

Well, when you run more pass plays than any other team in the league... statistics/probability come into play.

I have a feeling if you were to look at this as a percentage of drop backs instead of just the raw number of times he gets hit/sacked, he may not be the most hit in the league. That's just a hunch though.

Weve ran 56 more passing plays that any team.. next team is the steelers.. andrew luck has been hit 47 times more than any qb.. andrew luck has 383 pass attempts.. and 111 hits.. so pretty much 33% of the time he ends up gettin hit. I originally agreeded with your statement but further research tells us differently.. another nice tidbit...

Rookie year 67 hits

2nd years 84 hits

this years so far 111

Ouch....

I thought Fleener was hot and cold. He made some really good, key plays, but other times I was like, come ON butter fingers or come on man, throw in a little intensity in coming back to or going for the ball!

I want to like Fleener, but I thought that yesterday Luck / the scheme was really trying too hard to make things happen to Fleener. I kept asking myself, why is it Fleener they are scheming for so much instead of Dwayne Allen, who, like others have said, I think is a real stud! Or why not get Moncrief more involved, instead of Fleener.

I don't know, but I am not yet sold on Fleener. I disagree with those that say he had a great game, but I also disagree with those that say he was horrible. I think he was a bit of both, the down side of that being quite a concern. I'd rather see more of Dwayne Allen.

I think a lot of it has to do with the fact that Allen is a much better blocker. So they have him stay back and help slow the pass rush down, especially when Luck was getting hit like he has been. It's unfortunate but I think we draft an OG or a C to let Allen get more touches. That being said he Dwayne still had a good game.

Another take from the game is that I-Form with Bradshaw as the Fullback and Trent behind him. This formation always seems to work. I remember we used it against the Titans to get a first down. I think we should utilize this formation more often! It seems that with Bradshaw and Trent in the backfield with Fleener and Allen on opposite ends of the line, defenses don't know who's gettin the ball.

My first thought when the Colts had just four rushes most of the first half was laughing at all the people who spent all that time complaining that Pep was over committed to the run and he was going to "waste" Andrew Luck. 

The Colts offense can and will score on anyone.  When your QB has four TDs, 350 yards and no INTs and you can honestly say you know he didn't really play that great and the offense puts up 40 points and only really had one score set up by a turnover or special teams play that means your offense is pretty darn good.

Davis is better and worth more than any other player the Colts could have used a second round draft pick on.  He's also worth every penny the Colts spent on him this off-season. 

It was nice to see the Colts play turnover free football.  Still the turnovers were there for the taking had the Giants made some plays.  Luck still seems to have one throw a game that leaves you going what on earth did he see there?  He did that last night and the Giants safety didn't catch the ball.  Then TY took what should have been an INT and made it a TD because TY is darn good.  The last one I can think of was the play where Luck was getting sacked and he just threw the ball up.  He has to learn that a sack isn't the worst thing that can happen there a turnover is.  He's had plays liked that picked off before and last week he had a play like that turn into a safety that pretty much ended the game.  Take a loss and live to fight another down. 

Mewhort is going to be the real deal.  This kid has been solid all year and I think he's just going to keep getting better.  Frankly this draft class as whole is looking like a big hit for Grigson, Mewhort and Moncrief have already made their presence known.  Newsome makes you notice him everytime he's on the field and I think will be a major weapon for us as a pass rusher in years to come.  However, what makes it so good is what he's done with undrafted free agents.  Harrison, Kerr, and Purifoy have made a big impact on this team as undrafted free agents.  Harrison has had some ups and downs which is expected for a rookie center but for the most part has been solid.  Kerr is quietly becoming our best DT.  It seems like everytime there is a big play on special teams either Newsome or Purifoy is the one that makes it. 

It's nice to have Reggie back.  He just helps free things up for guys like Nicks, HIlton, and Moncrief because you have to respect him because the man is a future Hall of Famer.  Also T.Y. Hilton is very good.  That play he made to steal the ball from the DB and turn a clear turnover into a TD was amazing. 

Fleener re-established himself last night.  Allen is still better IMO but when Fleener does what he did last night it makes things so much easier for Allen and the other receivers.

Looks like Luck and Nicks are finally getting on the same page a little bit. 

I think that was closer to what our D is.  They don't get great pressure but Toler and Davis hold up so well it makes the QB hold the ball an extra beat or two if anyone can off their block a little bit they can disrupt the play.  They still struggle to cover tightends and I would fully expect Brady and the Pats to take complete advantage of that. 

No team has a better set of kickers in the league than the Colts.

That one play had me complaining, to be sure.  Man, you gotta be aware of where you are in relation to the sidelines and DRAG that foot, not be oblivious taking another big step forward.  Good to great players make those excellent plays, dragging that second foot.  

Had Fleener done that on that play, it would have been an outstanding play and I would be on my feet cheering!  Those are the plays that define good players from meh players.

Hopefully Fleener will LEARN and make such plays in the future.  Currently, though, I share some of your trepidation about him.  I don't think he's awful, though.  I think proper evaluation of his performance yesterday is like I said, hot and cold.  Had he dragged his foot that one play and off the top of my head, had he made a good aggressive adjustment on a different play that was a bit off the mark, but by my eyes catchable, (And had he actually caught the pass on the play that the Giants were too slow to challenge) THEN I would say he had a top notch game.

As it is, though, hot and cold ... and I still think there was too much intention to feeding Fleener.  I am appreciate of the plays he DID make, though.

Fleener and Allen are 2 totally different TE's.  Fleener is a little faster and more of a threat to get outside and turn it up the field, while Allen is better in tight space/traffic and a superior blocker.  IMO, they compliment each other very well.  Fleener has some room to improve, for sure... but I won't ever complain after 77 yards and a TD from a TE.  I think that ruling would have been upheld if it was challenged, as well.  I think we're quite lucky to have 2 young TE's that are as talented and versatile as they are.

It seems like everytime there is a big play on special teams either Newsome or Purifoy is the one that makes it. 

Fleener re-established himself last night.  Allen is still better IMO but when Fleener does what he did last night it makes things so much easier for Allen and the other receivers.

If it's not Newsome or Purifoy it's that other UDFA Dewey McDonald (or sometimes Colt Anderson, Studebaker or even McAffee himself) -- Dewey I thought played very well on ST's last night.