Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Is it just me...

backshoulderfade

Or does this offense look a lot more like what we saw with Arians in 2012 than Pep's offense in 2013. We are the very definition of vertical offense this year.

I think you're somewhat right.

But I think the difference is Pep is dialing up more 3 and 5 step drop and throws than Arians ever did.

And I think we are far more committed to the run to take pressure off the pass than Arians ever was.

I tend to think Arians forced the downfield throw more then Pep has.  

Arians designed the offense to throw the ball downfield.  It was forced because the receivers all went downfield.

I think with the way TY is playing now along with Allen and others as well as better pass protection it has opened up more opportunities to throw downfield rather then it being forced.

Also a lot of times short passes have gone for big yardage after the catch.

I'm not saying we are playing like we were in 2012. I'm just saying we look a little closer to that team than the 2013 team in terms of how they look downfield a lot more.

Yeah, I agree with that. There are plenty of differences between this offense and the 2012 offense, but we're also a lot different than we looked last year. 

We throw a lot thats for sure.

As long as we can limit the INT's and keep Trich and Bradshaw moving the chains I believe the offence is on the right track.

Less forcing and more taking what we're given. Would like to get that completion percentage back up there.

It's a good question Hirst1000. I think now with a heathy TE in Allen & RB Bradshaw's dual threat as a workhorse back that can hit the open crease & catch the ball out of the backfield makes Pep feel more comfortable with both checkdowns & flea flickers/long passes downfield.

I just think our weapons lie in our TE's & WR's so throw the ball to set up the run not vice versa. Keep being aggressive on 1st & 2nd down.

I am happy for HC BA's success in AZ. He's done a tremendous job turning that football program around. Comparison wise, I have no idea between Pep & Bruce. I'm just glad that Pep seems more relaxed & willing to be more bold in play calling this year.   

No, not really. Yesterday was the result of being down in a game where it was evident the Steelers O wasn't going to slow down. Had to pass to compete. In the 5 game winning streak the run game was evident, not great, but there. 

Colts went into the game yesterday as one of the league leaders in plays of 20 yards or more.  The Colts are throwing the ball down the field a lot this year. 

As long as we can limit the INT's and keep Trich and Bradshaw moving the chains I believe the offence is on the right track.

Less forcing and more taking what we're given. Would like to get that completion percentage back up there.

Exactly why I thought we should've been running it a bit more on Sunday, especially once it was back down to a one-score game. The Steelers had their ears pinned and were coming for Luck every single play. Running the ball would've slowed that pass rush down a lot in my opinion. As well as the offense is playing, I still think Pep has room to improve when it comes to in-game adjustments.

Exactly why I thought we should've been running it a bit more on Sunday, especially once it was back down to a one-score game. The Steelers had their ears pinned and were coming for Luck every single play. Running the ball would've slowed that pass rush down a lot in my opinion. As well as the offense is playing, I still think Pep has room to improve when it comes to in-game adjustments.

It's common sense if it's not broke don't fix it, we got away from it really early we were down 14-3 I think and became pass happy, surely we game plan for all situations? If we do we scrapped it and never came close to going back.

The improvement needed is in Andrew seeing/hitting the open underneath receivers in critica moments rather than looking for his favorite or deeper routes. Andrew blew it several tmes Sunday with his decisions.

What a surprise he forces a ball early to Nicks, to make him happy. Something Andrew does often.

Nicks is catching less than 50% of the balls targeted to him.