Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Dorial Green-Beckham

I have a couple concerns about drafting Green-Beckham:

He doesn't always use his size to his advantage. He also had his domestic abuse issue at Mizzou and there's a current crackdown on that type of behavior. We are already invested in three younger receivers (Hilton, Rogers and Moncrief). Once those types of receivers get to free agency, they cost much more despite the fact that they have relatively little effect on your team making the playoffs.

He doesn't always use his size to his advantage. He also had his domestic abuse issue at Mizzou and there's a current crackdown on that type of behavior. We are already invested in three younger receivers (Hilton, Rogers and Moncrief). Once those types of receivers get to free agency, they cost much more despite the fact that they have relatively little effect on your team making the playoffs.

Huh?

Since when do good receivers have very little effect on your team making the playoffs?

What are you basing that on?

Will he even be drafted?  Teams are putting a lot more emphasis on character, so it's very possible a guy like him doesn't even end up getting drafted.  If that's the case, I certainly wouldn't mind bringing him in as an undrafted rookie and giving him a 1 or 2 year deal for cheap.  But I wouldn't use higher than a 5th round pick on him, 4th round if the scouts have fallen in love with the guy and the background check and interviews have been very extensive and comprehensive.  The physical abilities are through the roof, but the character is loaded with red flags.

I have a personal bias/knowledge in this matter, but I can assure you all that his legal troubles are more about who he hangs out with more than anything. It is possible he changed when he went off to college, but for the most part he is known as a really good kid who has gotten into some bad situations. The problem is that he isn't what most people would describe as the sharpest tool in the shed, and so he probably didn't quite realize what kind of situations he is getting himself into until he is already there. I don't see him as a problem if he were to come into the NFL and have the good influences of the players here. Now of course if you have some players that are also troubled, that probably wouldn't be the best situation, both for him and the team. 

Huh?

Since when do good receivers have very little effect on your team making the playoffs?

I meant that having an elite receiver had little effect. For instance, for as talented as he is, Calvin Johnson can't take the Lions to the playoffs. He can only influence the game if he has a quarterback that can get him the ball and that quarterback has adequate protection from the offensive line.

Huh?

Matt Millen didn't he try the WR to the title approach?

Seriously I don't think this is the next coming of Megatron there is a lot of baggage there most great players are focused on their craft. I know there are exceptions. We aren't hurting at WR. I guess if he were to go late but I don't see it someone will take a chance on him especially if Benjamin keeps it up the 6'6 WR will be all the talk.

We have picks this year really can't wait to see what Grig's does. I'd like to see a lot of it on the defensive side of the ball. Pass rush more speed at LB and the elephant in the room S.

I am not a big FA guy almost always over pay. I prefer the draft but with a sprinkle of a FA here and there. We get Mathis back so S will be our biggest hole. I am not so sure I would not get someone proven for the back end as our FA move.

That is if Grig's doesn't get it fixed this year. Word is he is on the prowl who's the top CFL S?

Matt Millen didn't he try the WR to the title approach?

Seriously I don't think this is the next coming of Megatron there is a lot of baggage there most great players are focused on their craft. I know there are exceptions. We aren't hurting at WR. I guess if he were to go late but I don't see it someone will take a chance on him especially if Benjamin keeps it up the 6'6 WR will be all the talk.

We have picks this year really can't wait to see what Grig's does. I'd like to see a lot of it on the defensive side of the ball. Pass rush more speed at LB and the elephant in the room S.

I am not a big FA guy almost always over pay. I prefer the draft but with a sprinkle of a FA here and there. We get Mathis back so S will be our biggest hole. I am not so sure I would not get someone proven for the back end as our FA move.

That is if Grig's doesn't get it fixed this year. Word is he is on the prowl who's the top CFL S?

I don't think we can count on Mathis to be Mathis.    He may be,  but it's not something that we can count on, given his age and his injury.

So, for me,  1st round need is OLB....   2nd round need is safety....  and 3rd round need is a DL....   4th round need is the best defensive player on the board.       I want to go heavy on defense.     We've been waiting to "Build the Monster" on that side of the ball, and it's about time.

We can address offensive needs in R5 and beyond.....

Agree to use Free Agent money sparingly and wisely.....

As far as receiver goes, I'm a fan of Deontay Greenberry. He seems to be similar to what the Colts look for in an outside receiver and I'd be extremely tempted to take him if he's there in the third round. The biggest deterrent for taking a receiver is because I want to see what progress Rogers makes and I'm unsure how much potential he has.

We don't actually have a lot invested in our young receivers yet.  

Hilton - 3rd round pick only $263,700 in guaranteed money left on his contract.  Cap hit this year is 706,850, next year 796,850.

Moncrief - 3rd round pick 543,520 in guaranteed money on his contract.  Cap hit this year is 555,880.  Maxes out at 840,880.

Rogers - UDFA - Zero guaranteed money - 495,000 cap hit.

I don't know that we can count on Rogers and Luck needs to have 3 good receivers.  Besides we have to be careful in case Hilton wants too much money.  He's more talented then Mike Wallace and look at the deal Wallace managed to pull.  Granted that was a stupid deal on the part of the Dolphins but you never know ... he could see some big money if he hits the open market.

There is room on this team for another stud receiver, especially with Wayne's age and Nick's contract only being for one year.

I would only say that we have to be careful not to overpay for anyone.  We can always get good receivers through the draft and I'd rather do that every 3 to 4 years then put 10 to 15 million APY on one receiver.  

We don't actually have a lot invested in our young receivers yet.  

Hilton - 3rd round pick only $263,700 in guaranteed money left on his contract.  Cap hit this year is 706,850, next year 796,850.

Moncrief - 3rd round pick 543,520 in guaranteed money on his contract.  Cap hit this year is 555,880.  Maxes out at 840,880.

Rogers - UDFA - Zero guaranteed money - 495,000 cap hit.

I don't know that we can count on Rogers and Luck needs to have 3 good receivers.  Besides we have to be careful in case Hilton wants too much money.  He's more talented then Mike Wallace and look at the deal Wallace managed to pull.  Granted that was a stupid deal on the part of the Dolphins but you never know ... he could see some big money if he hits the open market.

There is room on this team for another stud receiver, especially with Wayne's age and Nick's contract only being for one year.

I would only say that we have to be careful not to overpay for anyone.  We can always get good receivers through the draft and I'd rather do that every 3 to 4 years then put 10 to 15 million APY on one receiver.  

In terms of investment, I was mainly talking about time and available reps. Three years in a row, the Colts have added a high upside receiver and eventually those players have to be developed and utilized. It might be more beneficial to grab a veteran in free agency (especially if Reggie hangs them up) rather than draft another. Overpaying receivers is a quick way to kill the cap and must be avoided but I don't believe Hilton has proven himself consistent enough to earn a big contract. Green-Beckham has a few too many red flags that I'm weary of. Deontay Greenberry is my favorite receiver in the draft due to his versatility. He has great measurables and if he was available in the third I would consider taking him despite the needs on defense.

• 3 weeks later...