Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Thornton Doubtful for Titans game....

NewColtsFan

...  the replacements are Reitz, or Louis, or Harrison, who was his replacement last week.

He's likely out with a bad ankle...

http://espn.go.com/blog/indianapolis-colts/post/_/id/7900/freeman-jones-out-thornton-doubtful-against-titans

Hopefully it's not too bad. I'd rather him sit in a game that should be easy for the Colts (albeit a division one) and play later than come in too quickly and hurt himself even worse.

Thornton actually is probably the weakest out of the bunch. I feel like Reitz, Thornton, Harrison, and Louis are all interchangeable. Im more bummed about Freeman and Jones being injured.

I am not sure I would include Louis in that group. Reitz is in my opinion the best of the lot it will be interesting to see if they give Harrison a shot or go with experience. Reitz was the starting RG coming out of camp in 2012 before a knee injury. He is arguably our best back up at every O Line position except C.

I am not sure I would include Louis in that group. Reitz is in my opinion the best of the lot it will be interesting to see if they give Harrison a shot or go with experience. Reitz was the starting RG coming out of camp in 2012 before a knee injury. He is arguably our best back up at every O Line position except C.

I would agree on Reitz being the best. Harrison looked fine in the preseason and his limited action against the Jags. Honestly I'm just not a big Thornton fan he struggled a lot last year and this year he's been doing okay. Louis id agree with you.

I would agree on Reitz being the best. Harrison looked fine in the preseason and his limited action against the Jags. Honestly I'm just not a big Thornton fan he struggled a lot last year and this year he's been doing okay. Louis id agree with you.

I am not ready to give up on Thorton he can pull and has his moments. I know I have the rep of being a Pep hater but here it goes I don't think Pep plays our guys to their strengths I think he ask them to do the things he likes to do which isn't always what they are good at. Him trying to pull Mewhort is a perfect example.

I am definitely interested to see who gets the start in Thorton's place and who the inactive are on Sunday.

Please support your notion that Thornton is the weakest of the bunch.  He has been moving people in the run game and solid in pass blocking.  He was good at the end of last year and in the playoffs as well.  Why spend your time repeating what others have said about Thornton's poor play during the early portion of his rookie year.  Thornton has clearly moved on....maybe we should too.

Please support your notion that Thornton is the weakest of the bunch.  He has been moving people in the run game and solid in pass blocking.  He was good at the end of last year and in the playoffs as well.  Why spend your time repeating what others have said about Thornton's poor play during the early portion of his rookie year.  Thornton has clearly moved on....maybe we should too.

Im not saying he is terrible or a cost to the team. This year he has improved (mainly in run blocking) I wont argue that but compared to Costanzo, Mewhort, Shipley, and Cherilus he definitely is the weakest. Run blocking wise he is just as good as the others. Pass protection wise he is definitely the weakest. He gets pushed back far too easy and allows too much pressure.

I am not ready to give up on Thorton he can pull and has his moments. I know I have the rep of being a Pep hater but here it goes I don't think Pep plays our guys to their strengths I think he ask them to do the things he likes to do which isn't always what they are good at. Him trying to pull Mewhort is a perfect example.

I am definitely interested to see who gets the start in Thorton's place and who the inactive are on Sunday.

Im not a fan right now but hey its only his second year so he has plenty of time. I wont give up completely on him either. 

Im very interested also. I kinda want to see Holmes get a crack at it. Maybe he can be the guard of the future who knows?

Im not saying he is terrible or a cost to the team. This year he has improved (mainly in run blocking) I wont argue that but compared to Costanzo, Mewhort, Shipley, and Cherilus he definitely is the weakest. Run blocking wise he is just as good as the others. Pass protection wise he is definitely the weakest. He gets pushed back far too easy and allows too much pressure.

I think you are splitting hairs.  Mewhort has played very well, no doubt, and is popular around these parts for good reason, but Thornton is playing at the same level.  In fact, he is playing at a high enough level that guard play is a strength thru 3 games.  Any reference to Thornton as a weak spot is a leftover from popular opinion.  The most limiting factor on our line is Shipley, and right now that is a pretty high floor.  There are some things that you'd like to be able to do in the run game with a more athletic center, but Shipley will rarely do anything to hurt you.  He will help us win some games until Holmes, Harrison or a better long term option emerges.

Im not a fan right now but hey its only his second year so he has plenty of time. I wont give up completely on him either. 

Im very interested also. I kinda want to see Holmes get a crack at it. Maybe he can be the guard of the future who knows?

I would like to see Holmes actually play too. I am interested to see if he will even be active for this game no reason not to be he is healthy for the first time in his career.

I would like to see Holmes actually play too. I am interested to see if he will even be active for this game no reason not to be he is healthy for the first time in his career.

Pagano's reference to Louis, Harrison, and Reitz as RG options is a good indicator that Holmes is only practicing at C right now - he probably hasn't practiced anywhere else....which is also a good indicator that they expect him to be back in that spot sooner than later.  Holmes would be the top back up on the interior if they planned to use him that way, but they intend to play him at C, probably want to maximize his time to heal, and have other options they like for RG right now.  

I think you are splitting hairs. Mewhort has played very well, no doubt, and is popular around these parts for good reason, but Thornton is playing at the same level. In fact, he is playing at a high enough level that guard play is a strength thru 3 games. Any reference to Thornton as a weak spot is a leftover from popular opinion. The most limiting factor on our line is Shipley, and right now that is a pretty high floor. There are some things that you'd like to be able to do in the run game with a more athletic center, but Shipley will rarely do anything to hurt you. He will help us win some games until Holmes, Harrison or a better long term option emerges.

Have you been watching the same 3 games? Shipley has been playing at an extremely high level these three games. He is easily the strength of the interior his pass and run blocking have been outstanding. There is a reason Holmes isnt starting right now. Mewhort has had very sound pass blocking while his run blocking has been doing good. Thornton is easily the weakest starter no doubt.

Pagano's reference to Louis, Harrison, and Reitz as RG options is a good indicator that Holmes is only practicing at C right now - he probably hasn't practiced anywhere else....which is also a good indicator that they expect him to be back in that spot sooner than later.  Holmes would be the top back up on the interior if they planned to use him that way, but they intend to play him at C, probably want to maximize his time to heal, and have other options they like for RG right now.  

So are you saying that Holmes is taking  the snaps with the first team at C but we are starting Shipley or that Holmes is off by himself practicing at C?  I guess I don't understand how Holmes is only practicing at C when he isn't the starting C. 

As far as having other options they prefer at RG right now don't teams usually play the best players?  Are you saying that they know that Holmes is better than anyone we have on the interior line but they are holding him back to play C where he is not the starter? Or is it that he is just watching everyone practice so he can continue to heal from an injury that the staff has said he has recovered from?

Have you been watching the same 3 games? Shipley has been playing at an extremely high level these three games. He is easily the strength of the interior his pass and run blocking have been outstanding. There is a reason Holmes isnt starting right now. Mewhort has had very sound pass blocking while his run blocking has been doing good. Thornton is easily the weakest starter no doubt.

Extremely high is a major stretch.... Good enough not to lose his job no doubt however

Not sure how to answer that....because I have no way of knowing what games you watch.

However, yes, the impact of Shipley is overstated thus far.  Playing well enough to be a plus player, and that is good enough to stay the course for now.  He's been missing on delayed blitzes up the middle and that trend continues today.  

Not sure what you gain by measuring the weakest starter as Thornton when he is solid in all phases and playing at the same level as the others.  Castonzo has been off the charts good (though the whiff today on the first play was a bit hard to comprehend) - so it's fair to single him out in a positive way, but I'm not sure I can see the logic in singling out anyone on our offensive line right now as a weak link.

So are you saying that Holmes is taking  the snaps with the first team at C but we are starting Shipley or that Holmes is off by himself practicing at C?  I guess I don't understand how Holmes is only practicing at C when he isn't the starting C. 

As far as having other options they prefer at RG right now don't teams usually play the best players?  Are you saying that they know that Holmes is better than anyone we have on the interior line but they are holding him back to play C where he is not the starter? Or is it that he is just watching everyone practice so he can continue to heal from an injury that the staff has said he has recovered from?

This isn't that complicated.  There are some 2nd team snaps to take at center and they aren't working him anywhere else that we know of.  I know the Holmes thing is a grand disappointment to you, but give it time, there is a lot of story left to write.

This isn't that complicated.  There are some 2nd team snaps to take at center and they aren't working him anywhere else that we know of.  I know the Holmes thing is a grand disappointment to you, but give it time, there is a lot of story left to write.

I could careless about Holmes. I am not a USC fan in fact they are one of my least favorite college teams.  I wanted an O Line that could protect Luck and get a running game going didn't really care who it was. I was hoping it that Holmes would be as good as he coaches said yes because we needed steady play at C and he was the only guy on the roster. We had all our eggs in his basket.

Then out of no where Shipley is the C and the G play is much improved as I expected it would be with steady play at C. The O has scored 40 back to back games. I couldn't be happier.  

If they aren't working him anywhere else he isn't much good to the team. He can play G played G at USC before moving to C and was pretty good there. I would bet he has seen some reps at G.

not true