Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Pass Defense Main Issue

Caleb3502

We were playing man A LOT lastnight!!!! Except we were playing off of the recievers by Atleast a couple yards.

Last year they played on the recievers and slowed them down. They might have been scared with the penalties being called in preseason and it still ended up being that way even with the CB playing off.

I saw a video from either bleacher report or football gameplan, and they had an interesting idea to confuse certain QBs.

on 1 side of the field, have Dbs like Toler and Butler and either safety play in zone coverage ( with LBs zone over the middle.) and on the other side, have Vontae on an island in man to man with maybe the other safety playing high zone. Could be worth a shot.

don't know what you were watching but we run Man way more than we run zone. Don't mistake a cushion for zone. I do agree however that when there are 2 receivers next to each other and you only have one corner on in the camera view, it's always gonna spell disaster, especially with peyton.

I saw a video from either bleacher report or football gameplan, and they had an interesting idea to confuse certain QBs.

on 1 side of the field, have Dbs like Toler and Butler and either safety play in zone coverage ( with LBs zone over the middle.) and on the other side, have Vontae on an island in man to man with maybe the other safety playing high zone. Could be worth a shot.

if the receiver that starts by Toler and Butler's side runs a deep cross to the other side of the field, he's wide open.

I made a thread about it last night (Which was closed for the "game" thread, even though it wasn't a request just for last nights game. It was a request until the sun explodes and wipes out our galaxy) begging whatever *who was calling plays that lined a LB up to cover D Thomas in man to man to stop.

I'm still not on board with Toler. I think he's over-matched quite often. He's a guy who should be a nickel, not outside IMO. I think he's one of Grigson's worst pickups, compounded by the fact Grigson has this immense trust in him to anchor that outside spot.  

I made a thread about it last night (Which was closed for the "game" thread, even though it wasn't a request just for last nights game. It was a request until the sun explodes and wipes out our galaxy) begging whatever * who was calling plays that lined a LB up to cover D Thomas in man to man to stop.

I'm still not on board with Toler. I think he's over-matched quite often. He's a guy who should be a nickel, not outside IMO. I think he's one of Grigson's worst pickups, compounded by the fact Grigson has this immense trust in him to anchor that outside spot.  

Sorry about closing your thread. We were trying to funnel discussion about the game into the game thread. Lots of participation there, and in chat, last night. Hope you didn't think I was rude.

As for Toler, I'm not sure what people want out of him. He got beat on a couple of good routes by Sanders, but only gave up 5 catches for 68 yards. Against the best offense in the league. The penalties hurt, but I thought they were ticky-tack anyways. I thought Toler played well, to be honest.

All this debate could be avoided if we could get some decent presser on the other teams QB.

Very true, but that is a big "IF", considering the roster. Werner looks improved, but he kinda reminds me of Freeney during his first year, when his only pass rush "move" was to simply run up the outside edge and hope to get by the tackle on pure speed alone. He needs some moves if he's going to take it to the next level and compensate for the lack of Mathis.

don't know what you were watching but we run Man way more than we run zone. Don't mistake a cushion for zone. I do agree however that when there are 2 receivers next to each other and you only have one corner on in the camera view, it's always gonna spell disaster, especially with peyton.

I guess it wasn't a zone but they still play off the line of scrimmage way too much. Manning was throwing a bunch of short passes, then would throw one downfield.

The main problem with our pass defense is that we don't put nearly enough pressure on the quarterback.    And now,  without Mathis,  the problem is going to persist unless some plays really step up.

As for our DB's....   we play primarily man to man...   press coverage.    If we played soft Sunday night,  that still doesn't mean we play zone.       And our corners are not considered small.

Vontae is 5'11...  that's considered average height.

Toler is 6'0"  that's considered above average...

And the nickel,  Butler, is 5'10"...   but slot corners are often the smallest...    so 5'10" is not considered small, or below average for the spot...