Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Landry? Safety's-Bad or Decent? (Colts @ Broncos)

loudnproudcolt

First let me say I did not get to see the football game. Unfortunately I had to tend to something else. Yes they have a thing called DVR I know. :D

Ok, so if everyone is done giving me a hard time(which I fully deserve), I have a question. Julius Thomas, 3 touchdowns. I automatically think, TE is the safety's problem. The first highlight I saw was Denver on the 3 yd. line where Thomas juked one way and Landry was out of the picture on the move. Never seen someone so open for a short touchdown pass!

I know safety is our weak spot, so did Landry play that poorly the whole game? What about our other safety? If so, as bad as he looked from one highlight we may want to consider McDonald? Just curious what everyone saw since Safety has not really been mentioned in the game thoughts.

First let me say I did not get to see the football game. Unfortunately I had to tend to something else. Yes they have a thing called DVR I know. :D

Ok, so if everyone is done giving me a hard time(which I fully deserve), I have a question. Julius Thomas, 3 touchdowns. I automatically think, TE is the safety's problem. The first highlight I saw was Denver on the 3 yd. line where Thomas juked one way and Landry was out of the picture on the move. Never seen someone so open for a short touchdown pass!

I know safety is our weak spot, so did Landry play that poorly the whole game? What about our other safety? If so, as bad as he looked from one highlight we may want to consider McDonald? Just curious what everyone saw since Safety has not really been mentioned in the game thoughts.

Lets just say Landry strong point isn't pass coverage lol. To me it seemed like the Corners were on an island all game long with the 2 safeties out of position the majority of the game. Our corners played great minus the ticky tacky calls. Time to look to the draft and next years free agency lol. I like Collins out of Bama. But I think he'll be gone by the time we pick.

Landry should never cover anyone other than a tackle eligible.

In all honesty, I think the Colts would be better served if they moved Landry to ILB and put anyone else on the roster back there at safety in his place.

I have not given up all hope on Landry yet, but all signs sure are pointing to him not fitting in our system. It is a shame too, because Landry is the fastest player on the defensive unit. 

It does say all that needs to be said when Mike Adams can walk onto the team, and after one game, clearly become our best safety.

Time to give Purifoy a shot at safety? Maybe. 

The problem is that Landry should have never been put in that situation.

Landry man to man on a TE at the goal-line... Absolutely he should be put in that situation... that is the situation that a safety is supposed to do.  All Landry had to do was jam him at the LOS.

Man to man against Sanders in the slot with no help over the top... that is the situation that no safety should be put in.  Polamula would not have done well in that situation.

Landry was pretty bad last night against the pass. He is not a cover safety.

No, he's not. Unfortunately, we used him as the strong safety, covering slot receivers and TEs, and he showed why we should never do that. I think he's fine ranging around on the back end, but when you man him up against pretty much anyone, he's going to have a bad time. Julius Thomas undressed him on the goal line, and he got beat deep by Emmanuel Sanders.

Lets just say Landry strong point isn't pass coverage lol. To me it seemed like the Corners were on an island all game long with the 2 safeties out of position the majority of the game. Our corners played great minus the ticky tacky calls. Time to look to the draft and next years free agency lol. I like Collins out of Bama. But I think he'll be gone by the time we pick.

I wasn't too impressed with Toler either, but Landry was obviously bad. He looked lost the whole game. He doesn't seem to have a high football I.Q. It really looks like he just reacts to what happens, when it's already too late. You're right though. We're going to have to look to the draft because I do not want to see one of Grigson's little "project" players like McDonald or someone starting and we're in the same position.

I like Anthony Harris out of Virginia and Derron Smith out of Fresno State. I liked Kurtis Drummond until I saw that Oregon vs Michigan State game this past weekend :funny:

This team is lacking big play ability at the safety position period.

Yes. However, big play safeties are not what they used to be. In past eras, teams wanted the big knock em out type of punisher to patrol the middle and leave tire marks on opposing offensive players, who dare step inside. In today's NFL, teams need safeties to be good cover guys and sure tacklers.