Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Seahawks borrowed TD play from Auburn Tigers

chad72

I'll say this about Pete Carroll. He will do whatever is necessary to win including deception. I do appreciate the guy's intensity & his willingness to take risks. He never afraid to beg, borrow, & steal whatever formation secures a victory. 

Whatever it takes bro, I'm for it long as it's legal!! 

Seahawks are one of the most fun teams to watch.

Hey QwizBoy a lot of my friends on Facebook last night were saying how they thought the Seahawks  were the most annoying 

team in football, but deep inside I know they secretly hate them because they knocked their beloved Anit's out of the playoffs twice!! And I jumped on the Seattle bandwagon because they knocked them Saints out twice!!! Thank You!! and GO!! Seahawks!!!!  :cheer:  :cheer2:  :highfive:  :applause:  :clap:  Sorry I meant Saints.... 

Hey QwizBoy a lot of my friends on Facebook last night were saying how they thought the Seahawks were the most annoying

team in football, but deep inside I know they secretly hate them because they knocked their beloved Anit's out of the playoffs twice!! And I jumped on the Seattle bandwagon because they knocked them Saints out twice!!! Thank You!! and GO!! Seahawks!!!! :cheer::cheer2: :highfive: :applause: :clap: Sorry I meant Saints....

Yeah jealousy and bitterness leads to words like "annoying" and "overrated" more often then not lol. I am sure the Seahawks will knock them out again if they do meet once more in the playoffs.

Yeah jealousy and bitterness leads to words like "annoying" and "overrated" more often then not lol. I am sure the Seahawks will knock them out again if they do meet once more in the playoffs.

My spell checker keeps automatically correcting my (Anit's to Saints) What is this is my spell checker a (Saints or Saints fan)??? When did this start???

I thinks that's because they look like a bunch of guys who like playing together. They have a great team chemistry.  They don't seem to the type of players who get jealous of the success of others.  Watch how Sherman reacts when another D back makes a huge play.

I thinks that's because they look like a bunch of guys who like playing together. They have a great team chemistry. They don't seem to the type of players who get jealous of the success of others. Watch how Sherman reacts when another D back makes a huge play.

Yep. I think he said somewhere that he likes tipping passes to Kam Chancellor and they actually do it in practice all the time. They are good as a team at what they do and they make execution look fun.

I can see them repeating very easily. That Hawks D & secondary swarming to the football like a locust cloud of African killer bees. I won't guarantee a SB victory right now, but I can see them playing in AZ this year without hesitation QuizBoy.  :thmup:

I can see them repeating very easily. That Hawks D & secondary swarming to the football like a locust cloud of African killer bees. I won't guarantee a SB victory right now, but I can see them playing in AZ this year without hesitation QuizBoy. :thmup:

Yep, the only team that would be in their way is struggling right now as an offense and has missing pieces on D so I wouldn't be surprised either. They are certainly frontrunners.

I can see them repeating very easily. That Hawks D & secondary swarming to the football like a locust cloud of African killer bees. I won't guarantee a SB victory right now, but I can see them playing in AZ this year without hesitation QuizBoy.  :thmup:

I can see them repeating, but not easily.  They didn't make it to the super bowl last year easily.

Cool stuff. Right now the Seattle coaching staff is a step ahead. You know they have so many options with the way their offense is designed from a personnel standpoint. You have a mobile/heady guy in Wilson who has great ball fakes, Harvin who you can line up anywhere and then the power back in Lynch. No play is off-limits for them. Kudos to their coaching staff for taking advantage of that.

Whatever it takes bro, I'm for it long as it's legal!!

The play is actually against the rules. Ineligible man downfield. The center is almost three yards downfield before Wilson throws. Not to mention the receiver on the other side blocking during the whole play.

I don't think they'll get away with it much longer now that it's been pointed out.

The play is actually against the rules. Ineligible man downfield. The center is almost three yards downfield before Wilson throws. Not to mention the receiver on the other side blocking during the whole play.

I don't think they'll get away with it much longer now that it's been pointed out.

Absolutely correct!  However that is poor execution on Unger's part. (and, more importantly, completely inexcusable officiating since scoring plays are all reviewed).  The play design was excellent.

I didn't realize that. That makes me think the play wasn't designed to have a passing option. Or maybe Wilson had a wink/wink with his receiver, and they were ready for the corner to pull off.

I don't know. We will see how the Saints D does against some of the more potent offenses. They are improved but I doubt they could hold Peyton to 8 points, Rodgers to 16 and Brees to 7 and 15, the way the Hawks have the last 12 months.

Why? Hawks offense is no where near the level of the Pats or Broncos

Saints have a top 10 defense and a top 10 offense

If they play Seattle its gonna be like a 20-17 type game.

Seattle isn't exactly a high octane offense

They just control the ball. They're a little better on offense this year, but still not a 24+ per game kind of offense imo

They just control the ball. They're a little better on offense this year, but still not a 24+ per game kind of offense imo

While the Saints may be a top 10 defense, they don't generate field position as well as the Seahawks D does with turnovers and special teams. That leads to more points being scored by the Seahawks' O. They have always been around a 20 pt. offense, the Seahawks O but with Harvin added, they can do more things with their read option and sweeps that with any decent field position, it is almost like one whole TD worth of points to me. They instantly become a high 20s offense even against a top notch D, and a blowout waiting to happen against pretender Ds like the Broncos in the SB and the Packers in game 1.

How so? The center is more than one yard downfield, and the QB still has the ball and is still in the pocket. It has no impact on the play, but that's a penalty.

That has nothing to do with the mechanics of the play.  The play itself is not an illegal play.  Period

How so? The center is more than one yard downfield, and the QB still has the ball and is still in the pocket. It has no impact on the play, but that's a penalty.

It is only a penalty if an ineligible player is beyond the line of scrimmage and not blocking someone at the time the pass is thrown.  Know the rules before you try to quote them

It is only a penalty if an ineligible player is beyond the line of scrimmage and not blocking someone at the time the pass is thrown. Know the rules before you try to quote them

I love when people go out of their way to be rude. You could have just made your point without the attitude.

And it doesn't help that you're wrong. If the ineligible man is more than one yard downfield and started blocking his man within the one yard area, the ball can only be thrown between the ineligible man and the line of scrimmage. So it's still a penalty.

I love when people go out of their way to be rude. You could have just made your point without the attitude.

And it doesn't help that you're wrong. If the ineligible man is more than one yard downfield and started blocking his man within the one yard area, the ball can only be thrown between the ineligible man and the line of scrimmage. So it's still a penalty.

First, I was right and second...... what?

An ineligible man may be off the line of scrimmage if he's engaged in the act of blocking another player while the pass is being thrown.  Nothing more complicated than that.

http://static.nfl.com/static/content/public/image/rulebook/pdfs/11_2013_ForwardPass_BackPass_Fumble.pdf

Article 1 Legal and Illegal Acts. On a scrimmage play during which a legal forward pass is thrown, an ineligible offensive 

player, including a T-formation quarterback, is not permitted to move more than one yard beyond the line of scrimmage 
before the pass has been thrown. 
Item 1: Legally Downfield. An ineligible player is not illegally downfield if, after initiating contact with an opponent within 
one yard of the line of scrimmage during his initial charge: 
 (a) he moves more than one yard beyond the line while legally blocking or being blocked by an opponent; or 
 (b) after breaking legal contact with an opponent more than one yard beyond the line of scrimmage, he remains 
stationary until a forward pass is thrown; or 
 © after losing legal contact with an opponent more than one yard beyond the line of scrimmage, he is forced behind 
the line of scrimmage by an opponent, at which time he is again subject to normal blocking restrictions for an 
ineligible offensive player. 
Note 1: If an offensive player moves beyond the line while legally blocking or being blocked by an opponent, an eligible 
offensive player may catch a pass between them and the line of scrimmage. 

Why? Hawks offense is no where near the level of the Pats or Broncos

Saints have a top 10 defense and a top 10 offense

If they play Seattle its gonna be like a 20-17 type game.

Seattle isn't exactly a high octane offense

What? Did you miss the Hawks dropping 43 on Denver in the SB and 36 on the Packers? If Harvin is in the lineup, they are easily capable of 24+ points a game.

But in terms of the match up with the Saints. The Hawks have shut down Graham the last two times they have played. NO has managed 7 and 15 points on the Hawks which is an average of 11 points a game. The Hawks have scored 34 and 23 on NO for an average of 28 points a game. So the final score is most likely going to be 28-11 in favor of the Hawks.

Right, so if a player is engaged in the act of blocking another when the pass is thrown he is OK.

Wrong again, if an ineligible offensive lineman is more than one yard beyond the line of scrimmage when the pass was thrown, whether he is blocking or not, it should have been a penalty.  The play design was good, just poor execution by the one lineman.

Right, so if a player is engaged in the act of blocking another when the pass is thrown he is OK.

He was 3-5 yards down field before he hit the linebacker.   The rule clearly states that the initial contact must be made within 1 yard.

{whistle}{flag} "Ineligible receiver down field, Seattle number 60, 5 yard penalty, first down!"

He was 3-5 yards down field before he hit the linebacker.   The rule clearly states that the initial contact must be made within 1 yard.

{whistle}{flag} "Ineligible receiver down field, Seattle number 60, 5 yard penalty, first down!"

Nope, he was engaged with the first player right at the snap. He engaged another defensive player immediately after shedding the first. Coincidently, I just watched that play on a highlight show. I am 100% correct.

Bottom line, your data on the uncalled penalty is incorrect. There was no uncalled penalty in that case.

It's definitely a penalty.    

They run that play in college quite a bit (a la Pete Carroll) and get away with it.    

It's inexcusable to miss the penalty with the extra ref this year too.  

I'm sure it's been pointed out to the referee crews already though so I doubt anyone else will be able to try it.  

The Packers defense read the play correctly. The center moved to the second line of defense and engaged the LB indicating the only thing Seattle would legally be allowed to do is run the football. Also the CB on the other side was engaged by the WR.  

If ineligible receiver downfield wasn't called, OPI should have at least been called.