Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Job Review For Mr. Polian..

dn4192

Lets take a look at Bill, since most think he should be removed (along with son) and a new vision brought into to lead this franchise. If you look at all the drafts he has overseen, we are looking at what like 6-7 players per draft, and about maybe 12-13 drafts so about 91 players Bill Polian has either drafted or been involved with the overall selections. I would then ask those here the following:

1. What would you consider his 10 best picks

2. What would be his 10 worse picks

3. What 5 picks surprised the most given place in the draft

4. Looking back is there or where there a player who went on to greatness that Bill passed on that could have made a huge difference for the Colts

Lets take a look at Bill, since most think he should be removed (along with son) and a new vision brought into to lead this franchise. If you look at all the drafts he has overseen, we are looking at what like 6-7 players per draft, and about maybe 12-13 drafts so about 91 players Bill Polian has either drafted or been involved with the overall selections. I would then ask those here the following:

4. Looking back is there or where there a player who went on to greatness that Bill passed on that could have made a huge difference for the Colts

You are no doubt a Polian implant in this forum.

And Bill is going to fix all of it in the off season.

0-10 with 0-16 a very real possibility because Polian built a team around one player with absolutely ZERO contingency plans.

That's my answer.

0-10 with 0-16 a very real possibility because Polian built a team around one player with absolutely ZERO contingency plans.

That's my answer.

He had one player, he did not need to build a team as long as Peyton was playing, and he did not especially since 2007, and it obivously shows. He was winning games and he was making the owner an awful amount of money. No wonder that Irsay likes him and will keep him and his son on and on.

He had one player, he did not need to build a team as long as Peyton was playing.....

And that lack of contingency planning worked quite well for him this year, didn't it? :) An executive is responsible for having plans in place for things that might happen ....

Take me as an example - I'm consulting outside of the US now. Today I had a conversation with my client in which I advised them that we need to have a plan in place for something that probably won't happen, but if it did would cause huge issues for them.

I have a responsibility to my client to develop plans for potential problems .....

..... Polian had the the same responsibility to the Colts & Irsay. It doesn't appear that he had any plan at all (you and I are essentially saying the same thing).

And that lack of contingency planning worked quite well for him this year, didn't it? :) An executive is responsible for having plans in place for things that might happen ....

Take me as an example - I'm consulting outside of the US now. Today I had a conversation with my client in which I advised them that we need to have a plan in place for something that probably won't happen, but if it did would cause huge issues for them.

I have a responsibility to my client to develop plans for potential problems .....

..... Polian had the the same responsibility to the Colts & Irsay. It doesn't appear that he had any plan at all (you and I are essentially saying the same thing).

That's my main reason why I want him gone. Polian depended on one player almost his entire time here to bring him success. In my eyes, that shows laziness. I don't care what he has done in the past for this team. If one player truly turns this team from 16-0 to 0-16, then something is wrong. I wouldn't mind having a losing season because of who we lost (Peyton Manning), but to not win a game at all is down right unacceptable.

I would argue that most organizations build teams that gameplan around one player's strength. Hence the term "franchise" player. Those teams just take care to also draft back ups that mimic the star players' abilities. We can't do that because no one can successfully do what Manning does. A part of that is Peyton's fault, not the FO. He chooses to do things his way, and doesnt allow anyone else to delegate the practices.

I would argue that most organizations build teams that gameplan around one player's strength. Hence the term "franchise" player. Those teams just take care to also draft back ups that mimic the star players' abilities. We can't do that because no one can successfully do what Manning does. A part of that is Peyton's fault, not the FO. He chooses to do things his way, and doesnt allow anyone else to delegate the practices.

This is a very good point. PM, as great as he is, is a culprit in this mess. I ain't mad at him for it though. Its been a great run and I hope it continues next year.

I agree, however, there is a difference between building a team FOR a player (what we have) and building a team AROUND a player. The way offense was built, I had no problem with. I had a problem with building a defense to play with leads that a player on offense got us. That basically means, our defense can not stand on its own if that player is not playing. I also have a problem with the same areas not being improved for 10 years because we were stuck on building a team FOR this one player. Yes, it was successful because Peyton turned out to be one of the GOAT, but if you live by the sword, you will die by the sword. Right now, we are wounded, but if Peyton has any more trouble with his neck, we might die. Sorry to put it in such graaphic terms. lol

That's my main reason why I want him gone. Polian depended on one player almost his entire time here to bring him success. In my eyes, that shows laziness. I don't care what he has done in the past for this team. If one player truly turns this team from 16-0 to 0-16, then something is wrong. I wouldn't mind having a losing season because of who we lost (Peyton Manning), but to not win a game at all is down right unacceptable.

See this is just so down right incorrect it's not funny. this idea that he drafted 1 good player and didn't put other high quality players around him is flat out laughable. the problem here is that Polian was poor in picking a backup QB and that is basically it because with just a good QB as the backup this team is near .500.

See this is just so down right incorrect it's not funny. this idea that he drafted 1 good player and didn't put other high quality players around him is flat out laughable. the problem here is that Polian was poor in picking a backup QB and that is basically it because with just a good QB as the backup this team is near .500.

One good QB is not gonna turn this team around. Sorry to sound like a downer, but we do have the worst defense out there right now, and probably the worst ST out there right now, and one of the worst offenses out there right now. I don't think one good QB can play defense, ST, or even run the offense like Peyton Manning does. So no, Polian wasn't just poor with finding a capable backup, he was poor with putting an actual team around Peyton. I never said he drafted one good player, I said he failed to actually put a team around a very good player!

So its Peyton's fault because he is so good and unique that he carries the Colts by his lonesome. If that really was the case, why didn't he carry or miracle the team to victories in the playoffs during all our failures. Peyton is a HOFer but he is not a football God. Clearly, he stands above the stiffs, scrubs and busts that populate the Colts roster but he is not the Sole difference between a 10-6 or 11-5 records of regular seasons past and the 0-2011 nightmare we are living this year. We've truly earned this year's record with exceptionally shortsighted front office management, inept drafting (I don't want to hear about this years draft class greatness; they haven't proved anything yet, except they could get injuried), exceptionally bad coaching, less than NFL caliber players across the roster, mind numbingly horrble special teams and the league's worst offense and defense.

One good QB is not gonna turn this team around. Sorry to sound like a downer, but we do have the worst defense out there right now, and probably the worst ST out there right now, and one of the worst offenses out there right now. I don't think one good QB can play defense, ST, or even run the offense like Peyton Manning does. So no, Polian wasn't just poor with finding a capable backup, he was poor with putting an actual team around Peyton. I never said he drafted one good player, I said he failed to actually put a team around a very good player!

Then how do you explain 14-2 and 10-6 over the past two seasons?

What? So our management JUST let a player do what he wants? I'd imagine all players would like to do what they want. It's pathetic, no matter how good Peyton is (or was), that he is allowed to dictate. If it's true, then the main voice on here is correct. Dump the lot of the FO clowns. If it ain't true, well, your point is moot.

+1 Our offensive system is custom built to revolve around 18. Peyton is the only one who can fly this "UFO of an offense" with his cerebral telepathy and audibling gyrations. No one in the game has or can QB the way Peyton does. The man is unique. So we were pretty much doomed when he went down regardless of who we stuck in there. This will probably continue to be the case for the duration of the Manning era. When Peyton is gone, scrap this system, install a more conventional offense, and we should be able to find more than one guy who can steer the ship in a pinch.

So its Peyton's fault because he is so good and unique that he carries the Colts by his lonesome. If that really was the case, why didn't he carry or miracle the team to victories in the playoffs during all our failures. Peyton is a HOFer but he is not a football God. Clearly, he stands above the stiffs, scrubs and busts that populate the Colts roster but he is not the Sole difference between a 10-6 or 11-5 records of regular seasons past and the 0-2011 nightmare we are living this year. We've truly earned this year's record with exceptionally shortsighted front office management, inept drafting (I don't want to hear about this years draft class greatness; they haven't proved anything yet, except they could get injuried), exceptionally bad coaching, less than NFL caliber players across the roster, mind numbingly horrble special teams and the league's worst offense and defense.

This is my whole argument. This is why Peyton only has one ring. Peyton has been mishandled.

Then how do you explain 14-2 and 10-6 over the past two seasons?

One Word: Peyton. Now tell me this, how do you explain 0-10 this season?

+1 Our offensive system is custom built to revolve around 18. Peyton is the only one who can fly this "UFO of an offense" with his cerebral telepathy and audibling gyrations. No one in the game has or can QB the way Peyton does. The man is unique. So we were pretty much doomed when he went down regardless of who we stuck in there. This will probably continue to be the case for the duration of the Manning era. When Peyton is gone, scrap this system, install a more conventional offense, and we should be able to find more than one guy who can steer the ship in a pinch.

No one has a problem with the offense being built around Peyton. Our problem is that the DEFENSE and SPECIAL TEAMS is built around Peyton also.

No one has a problem with the offense being built around Peyton. Our problem is that the DEFENSE and SPECIAL TEAMS is built around Peyton also.

I was simply acknowledging Doog's point about the offense and the difficulty in finding anyone else to run it effectively as currently configured.

I agree that the defense and special teams relying so heavily on Peyton is a problem. Unfortunately that is what can happen when you put too many eggs in one basket. There are only so many eggs to go around with the salary cap and corners were cut (literally). Still the eggs could have been distributed better but the extent of this glaring unbalance didn't become evident until our worse case scenario befell us. Polian owed a fiduciary duty to the franchise to plan for this contingency and it can be argued that he was negligent for not giving sufficient attention to the other two phases of the game.

I was simply acknowledging Doog's point about the offense and the difficulty in finding anyone else to run it effectively as currently configured.

I agree that the defense and special teams relying so heavily on Peyton is a problem. Unfortunately that is what can happen when you put too many eggs in one basket. There are only so many eggs to go around with the salary cap and corners were cut (literally). Still the eggs could have been distributed better but the extent of this glaring unbalance didn't become evident until our worse case scenario befell us. Polian owed a fiduciary duty to the franchise to plan for this contingency and it can be argued that he was negligent for not giving sufficient attention to the other two phases of the game.

O ok, I'm sorry about that. lol. But yeah, I had a problem with Bill Polian's way of building team also but could say nothing because he had results to back it up. It was/is a risk and right now we are feeling the bad side of it. I don't know how long this will last, but I know this will last as long as Peyton will last. I do not know how people can blindly praise for his success here in Indy, keyword: blindly. He created a winning tradition here but this season is definitely a fail for him and the organization. In the real world, if you were to put all of your eggs in one basket and fail....the business goes bankrupt or you get fired, no matter your past achievements. This organization OBVIOUSLY disregarded the defense and ST. I've been wishing for years that this organization changes its ways and sign some quality FA, draft bigger players, put a team around Manning, but I think it is almost too late. People do not realize how close we are to another decade of losing or winning, and it all depends on Manning.

I have been viewing this forum for the past few years, however this is my first post to the forum like all colts fans I'm angry at the state of the team, to put that in the nicest way. I am in no way, shape, or form a fan of the way the Polian(s) have drafted since 2006, however I have a simply question for everyone calling for their heads. How many of you have the slightest idea how to evaluate talent? How to account for injuries that no one can predict or saw coming? It's easy to be a fan you wake up on Sunday's you go to the stadium or turn on the T.V. and you watch a football game. This team has consistently won games through the past decade and has qualified for the playoffs every year since Peyton's arrival except 1998,2001, and 2011. What I've noticed is this consistent success has spoiled it's fan base and SOME colt's fans are the biggest babies, it's almost embarrassing to be a colt's fan to be grouped together with the biggest bunch of whiners EVER. Does anyone have the slightest clue how hard it is to build a team, that keeps winning year in and year out? I'm going to share my observation of the 2011 team by position/unit:

1. QB- Manning's done for the year, when I heard that my first thought was no playoffs lost season. Painter sucks no major secret there he's an inaccurate qb playing in one of the league's most complicated offense. With that said is anyone truly surprised at his play he was drafted towards the bottom of the 6th Round, he was suppose to hold the clipboard after Sorgi left. He was NEVER suppose to play, because guess who ONLY missed a meaningful snap before 2011.

2. O-Line a work in progress that showed a little bit of promise before being decimated by injury, has everyone forgotten that Jeff has been the only constant on the O-line All season. A healthy Peyton could still be effective behind the line.

3. WR/TE this group has suffered the most from Peyton's injury, with the exception of a aging BUT still dangerous Wayne, nice young core of talent that can be explosive.

4. D-line Freeney and Mathis still very effect against the pass won't really need to be replaced for a few more years depending on production, nice promise in Nevis meaning this group only needs that elusive run-stopping DT.

5. LB corp as much as a like Brackett Angerer's play has made him expendable next year, and Conner's play has made up for letting Session's leave ( though it would've been great to have Angerer, Conner, and Session)

6. Secondary excluding Bethea there is no excuse for the unit that takes the field, however as a bright spot I do like the promise of the Thomas and Powers combo who in a more aggressive defensive scheme could be pretty good in time. SS is an immediate draft need to being the stability to the secondary.

7. ST this is a coaching mistake using mostly 2nd and 3rd stringers on coverage will continue to plague this unit, I believe a more aggressive coaching staff who would use more of the defensive starters could help vastly improve this unit asap. Like the Bears do, and like Dungy had the good sense to do during the 2006 playoffs when the unit was very good. Nothing but good things to say about Vinatieri and McAfee sadly the only positive unit on the team this year

Honestly bash the defense as much as you want because they deserve it but if Painter could actually move the ball the defense wouldn't be on the field the majority of the game. I mean Painter's first 2 games he was actually good then for whatever reason ( I strongly suspect O-Line injuries) he regressed, Painter was decent against good defenses when he actually had time to throw. I mean actually pay attention to a game the pocket is Always collapsing on him and he panics like all inexperienced qb's and makes a stupid mistake, gets sacked, or throws an incomplete pass. It's clear just watching games that the players have quit on this coaching staff and the world sees it ever time the colts take the field. Which brings me to the next section of this rant.

Coaching staff

HC Caldwell when he was promoted in 2009 I had faith that the FO knew that this guy could help make the Dungy transition smooth, obviously that was a huge mistake, I could waste time listing his shortcomings but you all know them so moving on. OC Christensen I hated this promotion from day 1 he was a no name receivers coach who was promoted after the Moore/Mudd scandal, because anyone who doesn't suspect foul play in their "retirements" is a fool. In fact at the 2010 training camp Peyton said and I quote " This guy can't be my coordinator I know MORE than him". DC Coyer I loved his aggressive style in 2009 and I strongly believe with a healthier secondary he brings more pressure than he has in 2010-11 though I won't shed a tear when he leaves. ST Rychleski refer to earlier comments, I heard great things about him when he was hired on though I think he doesn't push hard enough for better talent to be used in his unit.

Front Office (specifically the Polian(s) Bill built a solid team for a decade then for whatever reason fell off after 2006 draft and from how it's been told Chris's rise in the ranks from 2006 till current position. The Colts have had one of the leagues best FO's for years the envy of all the league but a few teams until recently so ask yourself. With Bill's track record and Chris learning under him why would Irsay walk away from the family that has helped make him Millions more ( in a small market I remind you) all these years for a few bad drafts? He's not is the short answer we have a owner who has shown that he doesn't like too much change when things have been going great (minus post-season success). I mean think about it Peyton's been in the same offensive system since he's been in the league that's very rare and the colts over the years have had one of the lowest CS/FO turnover rates in the league. Irsay clearly lives by the motto if it ain't broke don't fix/improve it, he DOESN'T like change when things are working. We can all agree that Irsay is a smart man to be in his position ( although weird at times) we have to trust that he isn't going to let his cash cow/team go through years of sub standard performance.

As far as Peyton's successor goes a year this bad was coming sooner or later with how the team was built that's for sure. And for THOSE "fans" who suggested trading or releasing a HEALTHY Manning for a college qb you are an * and should be ASHAMED to refer to yourselves as a colts fan. With everything Peyton has done for this team it's disgraceful to see all the talk for a JUNIOR qb in college, I mean people act as if this is the only chance the colts will ever get at finding a qb for the future. Peyton IS the G.O.A.T and deserves to retire a COLT and ONLY a COLT if he so wishes he's earned that right and I for one am glad to have a owner who understands and has said those words. So until we know for sure that Peyton is done show some respect and loyalty to the G.O.A.T because the passing clinic that he has put on through-out his career is sadly coming to a close.

To finally wrap this rant up this is the 3rd bad season in the last 14 years deal with it and stop crying about the season the team doesn't have a shot at the playoffs, and everyone knew that early on that makes it a bad year PERIOD. Show a little support by keeping the negative comments to yourselves there not accomplishing anything but making ALL colts fan look like babies. We all have eyes any * sees the problems this team has, but this team WILL regain it's rightful spot at the top of the league so take comfort in knowing that which ever team wins the division crown this year is just keeping it warm for the colts next year

I have been viewing this forum for the past few years, however this is my first post to the forum like all colts fans I'm angry at the state of the team, to put that in the nicest way. I am in no way, shape, or form a fan of the way the Polian(s) have drafted since 2006, however I have a simply question for everyone calling for their heads. How many of you have the slightest idea how to evaluate talent? How to account for injuries that no one can predict or saw coming? It's easy to be a fan you wake up on Sunday's you go to the stadium or turn on the T.V. and you watch a football game. This team has consistently won games through the past decade and has qualified for the playoffs every year since Peyton's arrival except 1998,2001, and 2011. What I've noticed is this consistent success has spoiled it's fan base and SOME colt's fans are the biggest babies, it's almost embarrassing to be a colt's fan to be grouped together with the biggest bunch of whiners EVER. Does anyone have the slightest clue how hard it is to build a team, that keeps winning year in and year out? I'm going to share my observation of the 2011 team by position/unit:

1. QB- Manning's done for the year, when I heard that my first thought was no playoffs lost season. Painter sucks no major secret there he's an inaccurate qb playing in one of the league's most complicated offense. With that said is anyone truly surprised at his play he was drafted towards the bottom of the 6th Round, he was suppose to hold the clipboard after Sorgi left. He was NEVER suppose to play, because guess who ONLY missed a meaningful snap before 2011.

2. O-Line a work in progress that showed a little bit of promise before being decimated by injury, has everyone forgotten that Jeff has been the only constant on the O-line All season. A healthy Peyton could still be effective behind the line.

3. WR/TE this group has suffered the most from Peyton's injury, with the exception of a aging BUT still dangerous Wayne, nice young core of talent that can be explosive.

4. D-line Freeney and Mathis still very effect against the pass won't really need to be replaced for a few more years depending on production, nice promise in Nevis meaning this group only needs that elusive run-stopping DT.

5. LB corp as much as a like Brackett Angerer's play has made him expendable next year, and Conner's play has made up for letting Session's leave ( though it would've been great to have Angerer, Conner, and Session)

6. Secondary excluding Bethea there is no excuse for the unit that takes the field, however as a bright spot I do like the promise of the Thomas and Powers combo who in a more aggressive defensive scheme could be pretty good in time. SS is an immediate draft need to being the stability to the secondary.

7. ST this is a coaching mistake using mostly 2nd and 3rd stringers on coverage will continue to plague this unit, I believe a more aggressive coaching staff who would use more of the defensive starters could help vastly improve this unit asap. Like the Bears do, and like Dungy had the good sense to do during the 2006 playoffs when the unit was very good. Nothing but good things to say about Vinatieri and McAfee sadly the only positive unit on the team this year

Honestly bash the defense as much as you want because they deserve it but if Painter could actually move the ball the defense wouldn't be on the field the majority of the game. I mean Painter's first 2 games he was actually good then for whatever reason ( I strongly suspect O-Line injuries) he regressed, Painter was decent against good defenses when he actually had time to throw. I mean actually pay attention to a game the pocket is Always collapsing on him and he panics like all inexperienced qb's and makes a stupid mistake, gets sacked, or throws an incomplete pass. It's clear just watching games that the players have quit on this coaching staff and the world sees it ever time the colts take the field. Which brings me to the next section of this rant.

Coaching staff

HC Caldwell when he was promoted in 2009 I had faith that the FO knew that this guy could help make the Dungy transition smooth, obviously that was a huge mistake, I could waste time listing his shortcomings but you all know them so moving on. OC Christensen I hated this promotion from day 1 he was a no name receivers coach who was promoted after the Moore/Mudd scandal, because anyone who doesn't suspect foul play in their "retirements" is a fool. In fact at the 2010 training camp Peyton said and I quote " This guy can't be my coordinator I know MORE than him". DC Coyer I loved his aggressive style in 2009 and I strongly believe with a healthier secondary he brings more pressure than he has in 2010-11 though I won't shed a tear when he leaves. ST Rychleski refer to earlier comments, I heard great things about him when he was hired on though I think he doesn't push hard enough for better talent to be used in his unit.

Front Office (specifically the Polian(s) Bill built a solid team for a decade then for whatever reason fell off after 2006 draft and from how it's been told Chris's rise in the ranks from 2006 till current position. The Colts have had one of the leagues best FO's for years the envy of all the league but a few teams until recently so ask yourself. With Bill's track record and Chris learning under him why would Irsay walk away from the family that has helped make him Millions more ( in a small market I remind you) all these years for a few bad drafts? He's not is the short answer we have a owner who has shown that he doesn't like too much change when things have been going great (minus post-season success). I mean think about it Peyton's been in the same offensive system since he's been in the league that's very rare and the colts over the years have had one of the lowest CS/FO turnover rates in the league. Irsay clearly lives by the motto if it ain't broke don't fix/improve it, he DOESN'T like change when things are working. We can all agree that Irsay is a smart man to be in his position ( although weird at times) we have to trust that he isn't going to let his cash cow/team go through years of sub standard performance.

As far as Peyton's successor goes a year this bad was coming sooner or later with how the team was built that's for sure. And for THOSE "fans" who suggested trading or releasing a HEALTHY Manning for a college qb you are an * and should be ASHAMED to refer to yourselves as a colts fan. With everything Peyton has done for this team it's disgraceful to see all the talk for a JUNIOR qb in college, I mean people act as if this is the only chance the colts will ever get at finding a qb for the future. Peyton IS the G.O.A.T and deserves to retire a COLT and ONLY a COLT if he so wishes he's earned that right and I for one am glad to have a owner who understands and has said those words. So until we know for sure that Peyton is done show some respect and loyalty to the G.O.A.T because the passing clinic that he has put on through-out his career is sadly coming to a close.

To finally wrap this rant up this is the 3rd bad season in the last 14 years deal with it and stop crying about the season the team doesn't have a shot at the playoffs, and everyone knew that early on that makes it a bad year PERIOD. Show a little support by keeping the negative comments to yourselves there not accomplishing anything but making ALL colts fan look like babies. We all have eyes any * sees the problems this team has, but this team WILL regain it's rightful spot at the top of the league so take comfort in knowing that which ever team wins the division crown this year is just keeping it warm for the colts next year

I really do hope this is your first and LAST post.